What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you recommend buying a PIN2DMD Display?

• Yes

Votes: 32 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If this pans out well, will we have a Summer group buy drive?

I was thinking the other day - what would the total UKI demand be for this product.

There are clearly fans of “as they were delivered”, and ColorDMD is clearly a strong alternative- so not really sure if there will be similar numbers interested again - Would be interesting to read people’s thoughts.

Also - who knows what the value of the GBP will be like come summer, that could also be a contributing factor.

Let’s see how this one goes, and how well received they are.

Just over 2 weeks into the group buy - and thought I'd post and update.

The RGB LED Panels have been manufactured and ready to disptach - they will be shipped after Christmas, and should be in the UK first week of January. Here they are ready to be dispatched:
9dfa8b798954e56768157baa3d61f826.jpg

Today I received images of a populated board (for all 3 versions) for visual inspection and approval. Only one component was incorrect across all three products. Joerg Amann (PIN2DMD project founder) also checked them and could not spot any issues - he really has been a tremendously helpful guy, and taken a lot of the stress out of this project.

Here are some of the images I received (EVO192X64)
W296438ASY18-3.jpg
EVO128X16 (power connector is upside down)
W296438ASY16-01[1] copy.jpg
EVO128X32
W296438AXY14-01[2] copy.jpg

The boards will now go into final assembly, I will have an updated ETA once that step of the process starts. Will update the post with that info when I have it. In summary - I am still on schedule to have the products shipping mid January 2020.

For those 40+ members who are part of this group buy - I have contacted you asking for the postal address to send your completed products (once I've done the final assemble, flashed the firmware, and activated each display). If you could check your junk mail - as a few are still to reply to that message. It will help me get organised, and ship the products as quickly as possible - which I'm sure you're all keen to receive them.

In other news - It was great to visit @Pick Holder earlier this week and see the EVO128X32 in a TOTAN - really looks fantastic. He also gave me a demo of Virtual Pinball hooked up to the same product via USB - with various pinball games - again, pretty amazing. Really excited to get this up and running in my Fish Tales (and hopefully my second machine if all goes well over the holidays).

Thanks Phil for your time to take me through all of that. Here is a video of Phil (having a shocking game) on the TOTAN to show off the EVO128X32 - YouTube of PIN2DMD on a real TOTAN (not me playing!)

Finally - I'm away for Christmas, but ever present on the internet! I will provide any additional updates when/if they come through.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Oh bugger, the e-mail arrived in my normal inbox, but let's just say that given the week I've just had, it would have needed to walk up to my front door while sounding a klaxon in order to gain my attention.

Fixed that SNAFU just now.

Hi Mike,
I didnt get the mail.
I did reply to one of your previous mails through with my address.
You you think they will be landed with you before chinese new year (25th of Jan).
really looking forward to getting these.

Darn it, I joined the forum too late to know about these.

If ever another group buy happens, I’m in!

Can’t wait to see them in your machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darn it, I joined the forum too late to know about these.

If ever another group buy happens, I’m in!

Can’t wait to see them in your machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know myself or Mike won’t be doing another group buy - these displays have worked out really cheap due to the quantity of panels that have been ordered. The bulk side has bought the cost right down.

Yes, I think it will @Toxteth O'Grady - also when you work out these (on this group buy) are just over a quarter of the price of a colordmd, and half the price of a replacement plasma it has to be the way to go, so no more high voltage rebuilds on WPC/WPC95 boards. These Pin2dmds can also be set to just a single colour as well.

Yes, I think it will @Toxteth O'Grady - also when you work out these (on this group buy) are just over a quarter of the price of a colordmd, and half the price of a replacement plasma it has to be the way to go, so no more high voltage rebuilds on WPC/WPC95 boards. These Pin2dmds can also be set to just a single colour as well.
And the large Sega screen is a god send ! £145 Vs £400+

The girls of Baywatch have never been so excited [emoji3]

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Is it just me or is that totan video got a lot of white bits during the animations ?

You can see where the colour mask is not applied in parts of the transitions then applied in next frame but it is barely noticable. Slowing the video highlights it making me wonder if you can even see it with the naked eye. It is not a limitation of the product but the colour file used masks are missing from some frames as it is a slow and painful process to colour each frame. The TOM colour file is much better done, Martin Knoppke clearly has a lot of patience!

Yeah it’s very noticeable on ToM also - more so for me but I have colordmd on mine so I’m used to what it looks like.

CGC had same problem in MMR but they fixed it in AFMR thankfully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Which video's are you looking at Neil? Have you downloaded the latest colour files and tried them on a pin2dmd?

Very quick update that both shipments of assembled boards and LED RGB panels have arrived today.

When I return home on Thursday I’ll crack on with final assembly and flashing etc.

Hope to start shipping next week in batches of 10-15.

Will post some photos as I progress. Also hope to make a couple of user videos on how to setup/config them - as there don’t seem to be any around that I can find. If anyone has seen them, please let me know.

Still on schedule!

Mike

Here's the TOM post (PM the OP on it to buy the real files)

And here's the section where you can browse peoples WIP / projects -> http://vpuniverse.com/forums/forum/138-pin2dmd-dmd-colorization-works-in-progress/

It's worth signing up to this forum as it seems to be the best place to get help and get colour files.

One thing that's I am unclear on at the moment is if our boards are coming with the IDC installed to go straight into a spare 12v - as most chatter on the pin2dmd forums is about powering the board from external supplies or service port addons.

Here's the TOM post (PM the OP on it to buy the real files)

And here's the section where you can browse peoples WIP / projects -> http://vpuniverse.com/forums/forum/138-pin2dmd-dmd-colorization-works-in-progress/

It's worth signing up to this forum as it seems to be the best place to get help and get colour files.

One thing that's I am unclear on at the moment is if our boards are coming with the IDC installed to go straight into a spare 12v - as most chatter on the pin2dmd forums is about powering the board from external supplies or service port addons.

Power input on each PIN2DMD Depends on the version. For example the popular EVo128X32 has 2 X 12V inputs and a 5V input.

How you provide power to those inputs depends completely on the machine.

The group buy is for a display, not display and external power supply. I am providing a custom made cable for the 12V input on the EVO128X32 versions.

The other 2 versions should be powered by the existing DMD power supply on most real pinball machines (Stern, Sega, etc.). But you must check first before connecting to your machine.

Best
Mike

Power input on each PIN2DMD Depends on the version. For example the popular EVo128X32 has 2 X 12V inputs and a 5V input.

How you provide power to those inputs depends completely on the machine.

The group buy is for a display, not display and external power supply. I am providing a custom made cable for the 12V input on the EVO128X32 versions.

The other 2 versions should be powered by the existing DMD power supply on most real pinball machines (Stern, Sega, etc.). But you must check first before connecting to your machine.

Best
Mike

So for installing on a WPC-95 (AFM) I for sure have a spare 12v port on the the power driver board - will I need to attach a 4pin molex to what you're sending us or will that come done already?

Asking as the insertion tools are extremely expensive for the bit of plastic they seem to be 😅 ..

You’ll get a cable Pre crimped at both ends, one has a molex already installed, (PIN2DMD end), and you get a 4 pin molex to insert the other end to what you need. So all you’ll need to do is push in two cables into the right holes of the provided second 4 pin molex. These are not the push down type the cables are crimped - just to be clear.

You’ll also get 2 cable taps if you prefer to tap into an existing 12V line, just snip off the crimped connectors and apply the taps to the +12V and GND lines you choose.

Lots of advice available for each machine.

Other models reuse existing power cables (Stern, DE, Sega, etc) so no power cable provided.

Just thought I would chime in quickly here on the same day I joined this forum; I am slippifishi, and I like to think I am a PIN2DMD colour artist - I did the colour projects for DemoMan, STTNG, CFTBL, Flintstones and most recently Indi 500. I am especially proud of the work on TNG, I have been told a few times that this is in some respects better than the ColorDMD effort, I remain true to the original Okuda colours, and I snuck in some new easter eggs ;)

I saw there is some confusion as to where or which files are available and so on, so to clarify:

VPUniverse (VPU) is almost certainly THE place to go for PIN2DMD colour work (http://vpuniverse.com/forums/forum/138-pin2dmd-dmd-colorization-works-in-progress/). The artists will usually post threads here when they start on a project and provide progress updates, though beware there are a number of dead projects - if the thread is beyond page two, then chances are the project is already dead. All artists (that I know of) will always make the files needed for virtual pinball freely available at VPU; this is useful, if you are contemplating buying a PIN2DMD or donating for a colour project, you can download and try out the vpin files on a computer first and see if you are satisfied with the colour work.

Assuming you are happy with the work, then you will need two more/different files for use on a real pin; most of the artists hold onto these files and await a donation or tip to provide them - as has been stated, usually $10-$20 is plenty, and when you consider the amount of work needed for a complete project (200 hours+) this is very reasonable. Personally, I am humbled by the fact anyone would want to ruin their pinball machine with my work, so I make it all free - my dream is that one day I will see (or even get to play!) a real pin running my work :)

If you are trying to get in touch with an artist to get hold of files, there are two options:

1. Find them on VPU, create an account, and send them a PM, or use the "tip" link they include in their forum posts. Often, users inboxes on the site are full and it can be difficult to message them directly. So...

2. Alternatively, use www.pin-display.ch - this is run by a guy called Audiofreak, a regular on the VPU forums (he also sells reasonably priced PIN2DMD displays from Europe for anyone who missed the bulk buy) - Audiofreak has gone to all the effort of contacting the artists and providing a single place you can go to identify which projects exist for which pins, and there are direct contact forms for each artist so you can bypass creating a VPU account if you want.

Finally, I do have quite a bit of experience colouring DMDs now and using the PIN2DMD editor, so if anyone is going to undertake a project and has any questions or want some tips/advice then let me know - I have a few tricks up my sleeve and have also written a few utilities that help analyse the dumps and determine how best to cut things up for colouring. In the meantime, I am on the hunt for my next project...

Just thought I would chime in quickly here on the same day I joined this forum; I am slippifishi, and I like to think I am a PIN2DMD colour artist - I did the colour projects for DemoMan, STTNG, CFTBL, Flintstones and most recently Indi 500. I am especially proud of the work on TNG, I have been told a few times that this is in some respects better than the ColorDMD effort, I remain true to the original Okuda colours, and I snuck in some new easter eggs ;)

I saw there is some confusion as to where or which files are available and so on, so to clarify:

VPUniverse (VPU) is almost certainly THE place to go for PIN2DMD colour work (http://vpuniverse.com/forums/forum/138-pin2dmd-dmd-colorization-works-in-progress/). The artists will usually post threads here when they start on a project and provide progress updates, though beware there are a number of dead projects - if the thread is beyond page two, then chances are the project is already dead. All artists (that I know of) will always make the files needed for virtual pinball freely available at VPU; this is useful, if you are contemplating buying a PIN2DMD or donating for a colour project, you can download and try out the vpin files on a computer first and see if you are satisfied with the colour work.

Assuming you are happy with the work, then you will need two more/different files for use on a real pin; most of the artists hold onto these files and await a donation or tip to provide them - as has been stated, usually $10-$20 is plenty, and when you consider the amount of work needed for a complete project (200 hours+) this is very reasonable. Personally, I am humbled by the fact anyone would want to ruin their pinball machine with my work, so I make it all free - my dream is that one day I will see (or even get to play!) a real pin running my work :)

If you are trying to get in touch with an artist to get hold of files, there are two options:

1. Find them on VPU, create an account, and send them a PM, or use the "tip" link they include in their forum posts. Often, users inboxes on the site are full and it can be difficult to message them directly. So...

2. Alternatively, use www.pin-display.ch - this is run by a guy called Audiofreak, a regular on the VPU forums (he also sells reasonably priced PIN2DMD displays from Europe for anyone who missed the bulk buy) - Audiofreak has gone to all the effort of contacting the artists and providing a single place you can go to identify which projects exist for which pins, and there are direct contact forms for each artist so you can bypass creating a VPU account if you want.

Finally, I do have quite a bit of experience colouring DMDs now and using the PIN2DMD editor, so if anyone is going to undertake a project and has any questions or want some tips/advice then let me know - I have a few tricks up my sleeve and have also written a few utilities that help analyse the dumps and determine how best to cut things up for colouring. In the meantime, I am on the hunt for my next project...

I am going to have to jump into whitewater once these all arrive to get some colour going - I'll definitely make the initial dump available on VPU if you're interested

Back
Top Bottom