What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you recommend buying a PIN2DMD Display?

• Yes

Votes: 32 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
MadNat unexpectedly dropped by my workplace yesterday and hand delivered my order! Top man!! Looking forward to getting the time to dive into these - if anyone is doing a wpc89 I’d love to know the best power option.
Thanks again MadNat - great work!

Yep! Ready to jump in will be using wpcedit :)

I just did our WH20 which is WPC89

I used the taps on J118 - just triple check which is which with ya GND and +12v

1578767986532.png

Taps are easy to use but here's a video. I snipped off the crimped bits provided by Mike and used the taps he included like shown - 3 or 4 inches down the wire of the original plug.

If you want pics of my install let me know

8bf7aacf2cb6a524e04314cfb97803ad.jpg

Met up with Mike at the services yesterday to drop my two off.
Proper doggy deal in a car park [emoji23]

Got power to one now need to see where I can power my Stargate one.

Thanks Mike you are a top fella
[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm getting an error when try to export my colouring project to "real pin". I'm wondering whether the editor itself needs licensing per the Register option :hmm:
1578826686691.png

I explored that exception yesterday (cause I'm a nerd) as I was trying to do the same thing. It is looking for a .properties file which is meant to hold our license after we upload it via HELP -> REGISTER.

I think @MadNat may need to provide us our activation keys / license keys for us to upload into the editor. If that's not possible then it's just a sly tenner to the pin2dmd creators and they will give another license.

Well worth it!

Thanks, good to know not just me then. I'll carry on colouring until my DMD and license arrives then.

Your license is on the SD card in the back of the PIN2DMD display.

It is the file named pin2dmd.key

I am not 100% sure this will register the software or not....

Best thing to do is copy the files off the SD card before you mess with stuff (so you have a back up!)

I explored that exception yesterday (cause I'm a nerd) as I was trying to do the same thing. It is looking for a .properties file which is meant to hold our license after we upload it via HELP -> REGISTER.

I think @MadNat may need to provide us our activation keys / license keys for us to upload into the editor. If that's not possible then it's just a sly tenner to the pin2dmd creators and they will give another license.

Well worth it!

Providing activation keys isn’t a problems, however they are already on your SD cards in the display. I provided a SD adapter also so you can access the files on a PC/Mac.

They key files are unique to each display.

I only have .dat files on the SD cards - I thought a similar thing that I could pull it off there.

I think the display firmware bundles it into a .dat file when it's first activated? Could be wrong!

I'm getting an error when try to export my colouring project to "real pin". I'm wondering whether the editor itself needs licensing per the Register option :hmm:
View attachment 99724

Correct; you need to use the "Help > Register" action and select your license key file before real pin export is allowed.

Beware the editor and these exceptions; save early, and save often. It is all to easy to click "Abort" which will immediately close the application, unsaved changes and all.

Correct; you need to use the "Help > Register" action and select your license key file before real pin export is allowed.

Beware the editor and these exceptions; save early, and save often. It is all to easy to click "Abort" which will immediately close the application, unsaved changes and all.
Just been chatting with slippifishi sorted out my files for the Creech
Hes a top man thanks for all your help sir.

:)

Ok well I've got to grips with the editor so far. Main thing seems to be palette management when using colour masking mode. After a few false starts I've now got a decent recording from my machine and have started a clean project to colour all these scenes.

I will start offering the virtual pinball files for testing on the VPU forum next week some time - with the real files I will ask a donation on VPU but anyone from this group buy can for sure have them for free - I'll be sure to keep everyone updated with my progress.

Here's a little gif of the first animation I've done. Still some touch ups to be done but want to get everything presentable before getting too nit-picky.

yEnBd3t.gif

I'll be donating for wh2o anyway.id love to help but realistically I won't have time for at least 3/4 months.ill have to do tftc .

Just to add to the early content of PIN2DMD examples - here is my Fish Tales with the standard size PIN2DMD installed (I had to use the cable tap method on connector J116). Other than getting the old DMD out, it was pretty straight forward.

A few examples here:
Ball Lock, Catch Fish & Boat Loop
Video Mode ("Look Bob.. Water Skiers!")
Long Cast, Fast Cast & Catch Fish

Excellent, as I’ve currently no DMD in FT, this is actually going to complete it[emoji1787]

As you’re no longer using the HV for the DMD what fuses can be pulled?

Just to add to the early content of PIN2DMD examples - here is my Fish Tales with the standard size PIN2DMD installed (I had to use the cable tap method on connector J116). Other than getting the old DMD out, it was pretty straight forward.

A few examples here:
Ball Lock, Catch Fish & Boat Loop
Video Mode ("Look Bob.. Water Skiers!")
Long Cast, Fast Cast & Catch Fish

Excellent, as I’ve currently no DMD in FT, this is actually going to complete it[emoji1787]

As you’re no longer using the HV for the DMD what fuses can be pulled?

Majority of the panels are now complete. Need to assemble 25 more of the 128X32 (Standard) versions, and the 192X64 versions (this version looks very cool by the way).

As you’ve seen, some have shipped already and are in use. I have 40 more ready to ship (combo of standard and skinny). Just waiting for some decent packaging material to arrive before I start packing. Paranoid about a clumsy postie or courier wrecking my efforts!

Anyone in the Warwickshire area is welcome to arrange collections.

Anyone outside of mainland UK, we’ll need to arrange for delivery - maybe you have a preferred method - or you can arrange to have collected? Just let me know (eg Interparcel).

Any members wanting to arrange a group delivery (eg to Flip Out), or members living close to each other - let me know and I can consolidate into a single shipment - I think many in a large box is safer than one or two in a smaller box - if you know what I mean.

My wife and family hope my next update is “project complete!”.

Best
Mike

Majority of the panels are now complete. Need to assemble 25 more of the 128X32 (Standard) versions, and the 192X64 versions (this version looks very cool by the way).

As you’ve seen, some have shipped already and are in use. I have 40 more ready to ship (combo of standard and skinny). Just waiting for some decent packaging material to arrive before I start packing. Paranoid about a clumsy postie or courier wrecking my efforts!

Anyone in the Warwickshire area is welcome to arrange collections.

Anyone outside of mainland UK, we’ll need to arrange for delivery - maybe you have a preferred method - or you can arrange to have collected? Just let me know (eg Interparcel).

Any members wanting to arrange a group delivery (eg to Flip Out), or members living close to each other - let me know and I can consolidate into a single shipment - I think many in a large box is safer than one or two in a smaller box - if you know what I mean.

My wife and family hope my next update is “project complete!”.

Best
Mike

Have to say, very impressed with how you have handled this project. Looks to have gone very smoothly and i know what goes into making electronic products . Also great to see some people diving into recolouring games. I will be interested to see the progress on these and would consider using them for games like whitewater etc that i own if improvements over the colour dmd products can be made. (the colourdmd ones do have some issues in places.) For me its about the quality of the animations, not the cost saving.

Back
Top Bottom