What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What retro games are you currently playing?

A much reduced collection (we got rid of the Sega stuff - apart from the Dreamcast - 10-15 years ago which was a big mistake) and don't ask how many boxes are under the bed with consoles, games and a stupid number of spare control pads... It is said to admit there are too many games there I haven't played (but there are way too may I play too much). I had a 14" Sony PVM but it was past it's best - and I agree with the comments above a CRT is a must for the older games as a LCD screen is just too clinical despite the attempts to introduce scan lines etc (they just don't work as LCD screens aren't curved - when they are we may stand a chance)
Agree that a CRT (a good one) can't really be beaten, but re; screen curvature etc, MAME can do all that and it looks pretty good (these settings add a but too much softening to my taste - haven't bothered tweaking settings, but you gwt the idea):

Attachments

• 20220831_223505.jpg
    20220831_223505.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220831_223514.jpg
    20220831_223514.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220831_223901.jpg
    20220831_223901.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220831_224146.jpg
    20220831_224146.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 22
Sweet! Got a Switch so I’ll check out the stick.
Amazing Stick with great build quality, though it wont work out the box with the Switch, unless you modify it. But you can save modding and use a Brook Wingman NS USB Converter, saves messing around, thats what I use.

Totally agree and with a capable PC some of the name tweeks are amazing! Even the Android ones are almost as good nowadays.

Agree that a CRT (a good one) can't really be beaten, but re; screen curvature etc, MAME can do all that and it looks pretty good (these settings add a but too much softening to my taste - haven't bothered tweaking settings, but you gwt the idea):

I’ve got empire strikes back installed in my cab so can flick between the two.

Much more to do on ESB but the X wing wins every time in my book.

I’ve got empire strikes back installed in my cab so can flick between the two.

Much more to do on ESB but the X wing wins every time in my book.
Nice! Star Wars certainly is the original (and probably is the best) of the games - but as you say there is more to do in ESB (but avoiding the asteroids is a little bit dull). It's a shame there isn't a way of having both raster graphics and vector on the same monitor (I know you can with a CRT but a CRT isn't quite the same monitor as is used with vector line graphics, I think :D ) otherwise you could roll in Return of the Jedi in there too, the Falcon assault and escape from the Death Star is fun.

Nice! Star Wars certainly is the original (and probably is the best) of the games - but as you say there is more to do in ESB (but avoiding the asteroids is a little bit dull). It's a shame there isn't a way of having both raster graphics and vector on the same monitor (I know you can with a CRT but a CRT isn't quite the same monitor as is used with vector line graphics, I think :D ) otherwise you could roll in Return of the Jedi in there too, the Falcon assault and escape from the Death Star is fun.
Yeah that would be pretty cool!
Guess you’d just have to both cabs 😊

Although you could could probably have a NIB pin for the same price…decision’s decisions 😆

Yeah that would be pretty cool!
Guess you’d just have to both cabs 😊

Although you could could probably have a NIB pin for the same price…decision’s decisions 😆
Yeah, I really missed the boat with original arcade cabs - they're now ridiculously expensive - loved Tron (a friend has one) and looking online it is about £5.5k to get a good one. Arcade1up bringing out 'replica' cabs is a god send for me (no good at woodwork) as I now have a converted SF2 original Arcade1up cab that is modded with HyperSpin and an Intel NUC and has a pretty good set of ROMs on it. No space for a pin, and an original cab is also really heavy (moved a few in my time :D :D :D )

Yeah, I really missed the boat with original arcade cabs - they're now ridiculously expensive - loved Tron (a friend has one) and looking online it is about £5.5k to get a good one. Arcade1up bringing out 'replica' cabs is a god send for me (no good at woodwork) as I now have a converted SF2 original Arcade1up cab that is modded with HyperSpin and an Intel NUC and has a pretty good set of ROMs on it. No space for a pin, and an original cab is also really heavy (moved a few in my time :D :D :D )
I really need to sort out my Robotron cabinet. Sadly I got rid of the "real" monitor many years back so I could install a PC and at least play it again when the original boards failed. So its got a CRT in - but its a sony monitor. I recall they need to be 15khz or something for the original boards.
I do still have the original boards though - but they will need fixed too. Oh and its actually a Joust cabinet - always planned to get stencils and re-robotron it. I need to get around to all these things !

I really need to sort out my Robotron cabinet. Sadly I got rid of the "real" monitor many years back so I could install a PC and at least play it again when the original boards failed. So its got a CRT in - but its a sony monitor. I recall they need to be 15khz or something for the original boards.
I do still have the original boards though - but they will need fixed too. Oh and its actually a Joust cabinet - always planned to get stencils and re-robotron it. I need to get around to all these things !
Sounds good - Robotron was always a classic game, and the dual-joystick approach does lend itself nicely to Smash TV and Total Carnage (both of which a complete laugh) if you end up running MAME on the PC. I see you're in the Toon too - been to NERG?

I popped on to say I’ve been playing a lot of R-type on the JAMMA cab this week, but am going to go fire up the Robotron now!
Lovely stuff ; R-Type is one greatest ever shoot'em ups ever and the graphics/art still stands up today imho.
Love the series in general and have Third Lightning (JPN - unboxed unfortunately) , R-Types (JPN- complete) R-Type Delta (complete- the JPN version with the better cover)
Also have Rtype Final 1+ 2 - haven't put much time into R-T F2 yet, but love what they've does with some of the homage stages. Have you played it?

Always like RType, less so RType 2. Only briefly played Leo.
Did play some of the PS 1 + 2 ones - forget which (other than RType Delta - which I recall thinking was great at the time, but hasnt aged quite as well as the original imho).
The very latest one I thought was awful. Infact I got a refund for it !

Sounds good - Robotron was always a classic game, and the dual-joystick approach does lend itself nicely to Smash TV and Total Carnage (both of which a complete laugh) if you end up running MAME on the PC. I see you're in the Toon too - been to NERG?
I havent been to nerg no. Or the new place either NQ64, although there was a works do there recently. (I gather they have lots of gun type shooters a few consoles but only 2 pins :( )

I remember playing the triple screen Darius way back when I had hair - sit down cab - and the graphics/art on it was amazing and a rival to R-Type if the feeling wasn't as claustrophobic as R-Type was (by a very long way).

I havent been to nerg no. Or the new place either NQ64, although there was a works do there recently. (I gather they have lots of gun type shooters a few consoles but only 2 pins :( )
Come along to NERG if you get the chance - there are normally about 50 pins in there (NLP, the Scottish lot ;) and the EM side- @Poibug, @replicas and @ailsaclunie and @Biff can share more on this). I'm still to have a nose at NQ64 - I'm not sure I want to hurt my memories :)

Come along to NERG if you get the chance - there are normally about 50 pins in there (NLP, the Scottish lot ;) and the EM side- @Poibug, @replicas and @ailsaclunie and @Biff can share more on this). I'm still to have a nose at NQ64 - I'm not sure I want to hurt my memories :)
I was gonna go the other month. But Saturdays are always busy for me. And we had a BBQ that weekend - I knew I wasnt gonna feel like going anywhere next day :D

Lovely stuff ; R-Type is one greatest ever shoot'em ups ever and the graphics/art still stands up today imho.
Love the series in general and have Third Lightning (JPN - unboxed unfortunately) , R-Types (JPN- complete) R-Type Delta (complete- the JPN version with the better cover)
Also have Rtype Final 1+ 2 - haven't put much time into R-T F2 yet, but love what they've does with some of the homage stages. Have you played it?
I’ve not really played the sequels but most are on the PSX which I now have in my cab on MiSTer so might give them a go. Which one would you recommend?

I’m a bit rusty on the first one, I can only get to the end of Lv4 but have forgotten the boss attack patterns.

I’ve not really played the sequels but most are on the PSX which I now have in my cab on MiSTer so might give them a go. Which one would you recommend?

I’m a bit rusty on the first one, I can only get to the end of Lv4 but have forgotten the boss attack patterns.
R-Type Delta for psx is great, especially if you can enable enhanced texture filtering/transparency effects etc in an emulator (not sure if you can do that with FPGA?) - if nothing else, still looks good with scanlines (many r-type fans place Delta as a close second to thr original).
R-Type 3 for snes/SFC is also great (scanlines are a must though 👌)

I used to have this on PC Engine. I bought one just to play it really. But on there was on 2 carts and I only had the first.
As a result I can do pretty well on the first 4 levels - after that I fall to bits :)

Great thread this, good to see people playing these old classic games I love them all !
I have a new candy cab with an old monitor I specifically asked for with hyper spin on, the games look exactly how they was and should back then 👌🏻
I mainly use mame my go to seems to be Track and field also hyper sports.
Love the nostalgia and the sounds

Attachments

• 4852FCB1-C374-464C-9347-0B6B81ED325B.jpeg
    4852FCB1-C374-464C-9347-0B6B81ED325B.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom