What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spooky - Rick and Morty Pinball

It is weird how it is wired with the hold circuit BUT no EOS switches on the flipper.

Guess this is what happens with PROC 'homebrew' games. :)
That's because the original proc williams dual wound setup never used the eos switch. Just a pulse of the main coil and enabling the hold coil full. no re enabling or checking of eos switches. ask how many ccc owners have flipper issues??? i bet its zero.

This is looking more and more like some licence thing to me. Someones decided williams owns the dual wound control process not just the physical hardware and wants some $$$....

I love the Moonmen song, when playing the adventure you don't want it to end...at least I don't :D

One of the best possible music segways they’ve done in the series of R&M I’m so stoked it’s been added and can’t wait to play.

Annoying niggles aside This pin just keeps getting better and better.

One of the best possible music segways they’ve done in the series of R&M I’m so stoked it’s been added and can’t wait to play.

Annoying niggles aside This pin just keeps getting better and better.
It's a very simple adventure but worth a lot of points.
Incase any of the new owners haven't realised, if you want to see specific adventures including the wizard mode adventure ( Rick potion No. 9) and the new moonmen one, you can up the starting stamps to 8 in the settings, then you're one adventure away from getting to choose the next one. Let's be honest, most people will never get to this point without altering the starting stamps.

Wasn't sure about this game and the hype surrounding it. Theme wise it passed me by as knew nothing about it, being released in 2013 whilst I was living in Oz ( not exactly up with current trends over there, they were still showing episodes of Love Thy Neighbour ffs!)
Now having watched a fairly long gameplay stream gotta say it looks the complete package - artwork, callouts, animations, toys, shots, depth of play all get a A from me. Just a pity it's got those niggles and a 750 unit production run. Who's selling one?😜

Wasn't sure about this game and the hype surrounding it. Theme wise it passed me by as knew nothing about it, being released in 2013 whilst I was living in Oz ( not exactly up with current trends over there, they were still showing episodes of Love Thy Neighbour ffs!)
Now having watched a fairly long gameplay stream gotta say it looks the complete package - artwork, callouts, animations, toys, shots, depth of play all get a A from me. Just a pity it's got those niggles and a 750 unit production run. Who's selling one?😜
Whatever you do, don’t watch the 4 series available on Netflix as you will want one even more. When it was announced I missed the boat on ordering as the spooky fan club guys got there 1st. However I was lucky enough to get a spot from a very kind pinfo member that decided to go in another direction.

my take:

is it brutal? Hell yeah!

does it have issues? yes but probs no more than AIQ & GnR are having!

are the shots clunky? Yes which annoys the hell out of me at times!

is it fun? Hand on heart the most fun and LOL’s I’ve had on any pin ever! And I mean EVER!+
(Caveat I love the series, you could hate the pin if you don’t get the series which is Adult Animationat it’s best and for me 2nd to none)

Would I buy it again knowing all the above before hand? In a heartbeat!

in the past few year I’ve came to the conclusion that NO pin is a keeper and after letting some crackers go inc a 20yr+ HUO TZ aswell as many newer pins I stand by that. However R&M is well and truly bolted down in place in case I get broody for the latest offering and probably the only trade I would consider is GnR but luckily I did mange a CE on that one so I’ve now welded my R&M bolts :thumbs:

good luck with search and remember don’t watch the series and you be ok, otherwise you will be selling a kidney.

This is looking more and more like some licence thing to me. Someones decided williams owns the dual wound control process not just the physical hardware and wants some $$$....
I don't think so - we have always used double winding, double drive style flippers on all machines we have made. If there was a licencing or legal issue we certainly would have heard from "someone' by now - "they" know where to find us :)

Out of the new pinball manufactures. JJP are the only ones to replicate the Bally/Williams flipper feel. Even Stern to a degree with their new board set is not as good as say SAM..

Whatever you do, don’t watch the 4 series available on Netflix as you will want one even more. When it was announced I missed the boat on ordering as the spooky fan club guys got there 1st. However I was lucky enough to get a spot from a very kind pinfo member that decided to go in another direction.

my take:

is it brutal? Hell yeah!

does it have issues? yes but probs no more than AIQ & GnR are having!

are the shots clunky? Yes which annoys the hell out of me at times!

is it fun? Hand on heart the most fun and LOL’s I’ve had on any pin ever! And I mean EVER!+
(Caveat I love the series, you could hate the pin if you don’t get the series which is Adult Animationat it’s best and for me 2nd to none)

Would I buy it again knowing all the above before hand? In a heartbeat!

in the past few year I’ve came to the conclusion that NO pin is a keeper and after letting some crackers go inc a 20yr+ HUO TZ aswell as many newer pins I stand by that. However R&M is well and truly bolted down in place in case I get broody for the latest offering and probably the only trade I would consider is GnR but luckily I did mange a CE on that one so I’ve now welded my R&M bolts :thumbs:

good luck with search and remember don’t watch the series and you be ok, otherwise you will be selling a kidney.
Lol,
I've started watching the series on the back of this and yes it is a good adult animation .
May have to pick up another Spooky in the meantime, they are a little different whuch is part of the appeal
Cheers

Lol,
I've started watching the series on the back of this and yes it is a good adult animation .
May have to pick up another Spooky in the meantime, they are a little different whuch is part of the appeal
Cheers
TNA rocks but may be a little simple for your tastes, their are rumours they may do another run of TNA not sure if true but looking at there new extension they may be running another line in.
Also factor in the rumours of another new pin altogether this summer.

I don't think so - we have always used double winding, double drive style flippers on all machines we have made. If there was a licencing or legal issue we certainly would have heard from "someone' by now - "they" know where to find us :)

That good to know and happy to be wrong. :)

Chatting about this to a few others. Scott say's that TNA doesn't use the dual wind at all and it isn't coded for it. Not sure if this was an issue on ACNC but the flippers quite far away from the action. above is slo-mo of my TNA, it does suffer from a little bit of downward motion but not needed a complete re-engergise.

Neil.

I just can't get my head around this..... Its all just bizarre and like we are living in some alternative dimension... I've known scott for along time and worked on projects with him and this just doesn't seem like to the sort of thing he would do to me.

Must say - this game is fantastic - despite the issues - latest code has sorted most out. Get the odd knockdown, but it recovers strong now. Only issue is the weakening of the flippers to hit the ramps. Start off from cold really strong then fade as your progress.

The new adventure is hilarious and I'm drawn to 'just one more game' - it is brutal - never seen so many drains - both down the middle and the outlanes are truly nasty. I tried adjusting the posts to be lower down - doesnt really help as the rubbers around the post direct the ball out anyway!

I am ready to chuck this pin out now!

After two-three games the game becomes unplayable.

I have tried the various flipper settings,:
On the "Original" hold power (low, med, high) - the flippers suffer knockdowns, especially the left flipper when the pop bumper fires into it. Also the left flipper seems to drop momentarily at random (I think if another solenoid fires maybe?)
I cant play a decent game on this setting.

On the "Default" hold power (tried low, med, high) - all same really- the flipper knockdown recovery is good, but the flippers power fades during 2nd or 3rd game from a cold start - see below.

On the "Aggressive" hold power - low or medium - the right lower flipper gets extremely hot - too hot to touch very quickly - after only 2 games - and flipper power fades very quickly - see below.

So the "Default" seems best, BUT the issue is flipper power fades very quickly on 2nd or 3rd game. It seems to affect both the right lower and upper flippers. Neither can make good shots when then happens
i.e the low flipper hasn't enough power to make the steep left ramp. The upper right flipper hasn't got enough power to make the shot into the garage.

I have checked the EOS switches and these are opening towards the end of the flipper movement and closing quickly as the flipper comes back down.

Basically, in a nutshell - We can only play 2-3 single player games or a single two player game and then have to switch off and let everything cool down for 30 minutes or more.

it's not a functional, fit for purpose pinball machine as it stands.

Sent another email to Spooky reporting all this.

It's truly dreadful.

After two-three games the game becomes unplayable.

I have tried the various flipper settings,:
On the "Original" hold power (low, med, high) - the flippers suffer knockdowns, especially the left flipper when the pop bumper fires into it. Also the left flipper seems to drop momentarily at random (I think if another solenoid fires maybe?)
I cant play a decent game on this setting.

On the "Default" hold power (tried low, med, high) - all same really- the flipper knockdown recovery is good, but the flippers power fades during 2nd or 3rd game from a cold start - see below.

On the "Aggressive" hold power - low or medium - the right lower flipper gets extremely hot - too hot to touch very quickly - after only 2 games - and flipper power fades very quickly - see below.

So the "Default" seems best, BUT the issue is flipper power fades very quickly on 2nd or 3rd game. It seems to affect both the right lower and upper flippers. Neither can make good shots when then happens
i.e the low flipper hasn't enough power to make the steep left ramp. The upper right flipper hasn't got enough power to make the shot into the garage.

I have checked the EOS switches and these are opening towards the end of the flipper movement and closing quickly as the flipper comes back down.

Basically, in a nutshell - We can only play 2-3 single player games or a single two player game and then have to switch off and let everything cool down for 30 minutes or more.

Sent another email to Spooky reporting all this.

It's truly dreadful.

Sorry to hear you're struggling - my machine is still at a friends place so haven't had any real time on it yet but from what I can tell this does seem to be a common problem. I know we shouldn't have to buy third party products to keep the flippers working properly, but you may want to consider ordering one of these sets when back in stock:

They're meant to make a world of difference.

It's truly dreadful.
Honeymoons over then... This is a real shame and it doesnt seem an easy road now to resolving it, but i did wonder what would happen in terms of fade once they started going down the route of stronger hold patterns. If you want to plan some dual wound coil upgrades then pm me.

Honeymoons over then... This is a real shame and it doesnt seem an easy road now to resolving it, but i did wonder what would happen in terms of fade once they started going down the route of stronger hold patterns. If you want to plan some dual wound coil upgrades then pm me.
I wonder if Spooky are going to have to do that anyway?

That good to know and happy to be wrong. :)

I just can't get my head around this..... Its all just bizarre and like we are living in some alternative dimension... I've known scott for along time and worked on projects with him and this just doesn't seem like to the sort of thing he would do to me.
Quote from Scott " For TNA, I was having heat and dropping issue with the flippers during production. I tested a bunch of different types of flipper logic and decided later on that the single wound logic worked the best for TNA. So I disabled using the hold windings, even though they are hooked up physically in the game. "

My flippers haven't been as good since the last few updates added the new pulse patterns etc. I've been back and forth with Eric ( the coder ) being on the beta tester group. One thing he said I could try is fitting TNA coils and not connecting the hold winding, just like TNA, which is how his R&M whitewood is anyway. If the part number is anything to go by they appear to be the same coils fitted to a lot of B/W machines. He thinks maybe the added copper of the unused hold winding may help with cooling. I might give it a try as I have some here, also going to fit the cooling fans when they get here ( ridiculous that any machine needs them though )

Last edited:
Quote from Scott " For TNA, I was having heat and dropping issue with the flippers during production. I tested a bunch of different types of flipper logic and decided later on that the single wound logic worked the best for TNA. So I disabled using the hold windings, even though they are hooked up physically in the game. "

My flippers haven't been as good since the last few updates added the new pulse patterns etc. I've been back and forth with Eric ( the coder ) being on the beta tester group. One thing he said I could try is fitting TNA coils and not connecting the hold coil, just like TNA, which is how his R&M whitewood is anyway. If the part number is anything to go by they appear to be the same coils fitted to a lot of B/W machines. He thinks maybe the added copper of the unused hold coil may help with cooling. I might give it a try as I have some here, also going to fit the cooling fans when they get here ( ridiculous that any machine needs them though )

Erm, ok then....

Back
Top Bottom