What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spooky - Rick and Morty Pinball

So response from spooky is:

“The pop bumper will most likely always knock the flipper down as it probably would that close on any game. That is probably an effect of placing one there”

Tosh. Never happened on Pink Panther which has a pop bumper in almost the same location (perhaps 1/2 inch higher up).

I knew this flipper issue was happening a while back but I thought they had sorted it!

They mostly have... the problems seem to affect some more than others.
The last update was positive, with, I’m sure, more to come.

Weird thing is I've never had the left flipper knocked down by the pop bumper, only the right from the scoop with certain builds. Beta codes are coming daily atm, I currently have yesterday's build with more flipper settings and a new adventure.

They mostly have... the problems seem to affect some more than others.
The last update was positive, with, I’m sure, more to come.

The game has been out for over a year so getting something as basic as the flippers working for all would seem like a priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well given that much larger manufacturers have ongoing problems I think we can
give little Spooky a bit of slack.... they are certainly doing everything they can to sort the issues
out for customers which is not always the case with others.

I’m not giving them a hard time just surprised it’s still an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So i decided to go to 5 ball game.

First game 24m by end of ball 2. way beating my prev 4 ball high score of 12m.

ended up on 49. 12 seeds.

IF P:ROC is so problematic, then they need to use another boardset. Get them to employ jim @myPinballs and get him to do a proper job.

TNA had better flippers, and as was pointed out earlier it had the williams style flipper coils (twin windings, one for strength and one for hold). It is not much more work to put these in a game.

Can not understand why they changed something that worked to save a couple of cables and to free up a couple of transistor outputs.

This is my thought aswell. I cannot understand why they went to pwm flippers???? They know these are problematic. Just look at all the issue stern had on SAM. Holding your flipper button in for a few minutes used to kill the driver mosfet!! Not great.

Having looked into most recent proc based games, it seems r&m is the only one using PWM based flippers. TNA, ACNC, Hot wheels use dual wound, so its pretty obvious a trade off for heat vs power is an issue with pwm on 48v systems. Stern i think has much more complex patterns now on spike than just a basic power pulse, then pulse on/off repeat hold pattern. But they do still get fade after long periods according to a few people, though i haven't seen this on spike based games myself.

Also, to add to the 'pop bumper knockdown' comment, i think its just getting weird , my favourite game of all time has almost the same pop sling layout as r&m here from 1986! - Gold Wings! and is one of the reasons why i liked the r&m layout so much. Gold Wings has had zero flipper issues for the last 35 years afaict !! :)

IMG_8973.JPGimage-2.png

Last edited:
somehow managed to blow a fuse. took out the rhs flipper, ball eject, shooter lane and others.

no manual so had to look at the wiring to figure which one.

played a couple games all seems ok again.

Is it possible to change the flipper coils and power supply to it, ie bypass the proc?

Despite the issues I am having, I absolutely love this game. Not playing anything else at the moment!
Me too Alan it is up there with the best of them and now I’ve taken it out of family friendly mode it’s took the humour to another level altogether.
Theme wise how can it be topped! I’m now prepping my FG for sale as that was the one that I steered towards to cheer you up whatever your mood.
Still brutal and annoying at the same time though but I guess a bit like Rick himself.

Is it possible to change the flipper coils and power supply to it, ie bypass the proc?
Certainly possible and not hard to make a separate mini driver board to run 3 dual wound wpc type coils from the existing switch inputs, but we should probably wait to see what else spooky do first.

Certainly possible and not hard to make a separate mini driver board to run 3 dual wound wpc type coils from the existing switch inputs, but we should probably wait to see what else spooky do first.
1 thing to bare in mind is there's a dimension where the left flipper button fires the upper flipper, and one where either flipper button operates all flippers, so you couldnt go directly from the switch inputs to a new driver board.

Chatting about this to a few others. Scott say's that TNA doesn't use the dual wind at all and it isn't coded for it. Not sure if this was an issue on ACNC but the flippers quite far away from the action. above is slo-mo of my TNA, it does suffer from a little bit of downward motion but not needed a complete re-engergise.

Neil.

Chatting about this to a few others. Scott say's that TNA doesn't use the dual wind at all and it isn't coded for it. Not sure if this was an issue on ACNC but the flippers quite far away from the action. above is slo-mo of my TNA, it does suffer from a little bit of downward motion but not needed a complete re-engergise.

Neil.
Eh? Did you actually talk to Scott or some random others via Chinese whispers?

pic of the TNA game I had looks like std 3 coil drive wires to me with std dual wound coils. Now why the £&@k would you not use this setup if it’s already in there??

50A75814-3671-4CBB-8977-F34BAE38FBF0.jpeg

Neil.
That upper slingshot switch was doing my head in, needs adjusting😂😬

New code out - includes a new adventure and apparently more improvements to flippers to mitigate knockdown.

Cut the hold wire off the coil - that will see if its used on TNA.

It is weird how it is wired with the hold circuit BUT no EOS switches on the flipper.

Guess this is what happens with PROC 'homebrew' games. :)

Back
Top Bottom