What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete (build) Log 'cavity wall' cabin Pinball Room

cheers looking fab !!! so is the insulation to go into the roof space yet ?

Kev
Roof insulation goes in today, so the 'build' is almost complete, just floor and windows+doors to fit, so should be done by Friday, a total of 17 days!

Monday is the electric fit out, so by this time next week it should be complete, hardest part will be giving it a week or so for dust to settle, then coerce pin-heads (with beer and pizza) to come along and help move & set-up the pins...

Then replace the lawn!!

Roof insulation goes in today, so the 'build' is almost complete, just floor and windows+doors to fit, so should be done by Friday, a total of 17 days!

Monday is the electric fit out, so by this time next week it should be complete, hardest part will be giving it a week or so for dust to settle, then coerce pin-heads (with beer and pizza) to come along and help move & set-up the pins...

Then replace the lawn!!
cool man - lots of pics of roof getting done please

i can't believe how quickly this has all come together

i predict a total cost in time and money of 2 months and 40 grand, am i far off?
the added value it puts on your property makes it a great investment if you can get the funds together while credit is so cheap to get.

I am on stand by waiting to help you move the pins Julian.

You might want to think about a paved path to the pin-shack, it would be less wear and tear on the lawn and easier to move the pins ;)

Sadly no photos of the roof as it was all done when I got home (in the dark), I did see it last night so i know its kind of the same as the walls and floor, which are like this;

View attachment 27010

Except the roof was tiles rather than weatherboards.

As the end is getting close it's time to start a snagging list, the nail-gun is too powerful for the wood around door and windows;

IMG_20160225_071740.jpg IMG_20160225_071757.jpg IMG_20160225_071802.jpg IMG_20160225_071845.jpg

Also the board under the window has had a bash! I wonder if a frame around the door & windows will cover these?
IMG_20160225_071835.jpg

Sadly no photos of the roof as it was all done when I got home (in the dark), I did see it last night so i know its kind of the same as the walls and floor, which are like this;

View attachment 27010

Except the roof was tiles rather than weatherboards.
Isn't 5 wrong in this pic Julian, is that not the sheet material before the membrane as in pic below ?

upload_2016-2-26_19-33-11.png

And did they really fix battens on the inside timbers for the tongue and groove rather than straight to the framework ?

Cheers Kev

Kev,

Well spotted, my mistake, 5 should be the chipboard which was attached to the frame.

Yes they put battens inside also then attached the tounge & groove.

More photos tomorrow.

Kev,

Well spotted, my mistake, 5 should be the chipboard which was attached to the frame.

Yes they put battens inside also then attached the tounge & groove.

More photos tomorrow.
Cool man cheers

Looking good, when do the pins move in?

That's going to be some pin house warming party!!!:thumbs:

nice!!! was the brown windows and white door deliberate?

No! It was suggested to me that a brown frame went well with the green wood, I saw a photo and liked it, but when I saw the shed yesterday I thought the door would have also been brown!

I did deliberately go for a door with less glass for obvious reasons but it never crossed my mind it would be fecking bright white, doh!

Oh well, it will do the job.

All done now 'build-wise', electrics tomorrow, and fist few pins moving in on the 5th March with grateful help from John W, anyone else want free beer and food you're welcome to help....
Then some more on the 12th courtesy of Chris & Jason :)

IMG_20160227_131246.jpg
IMG_20160227_131427.jpg
IMG_20160227_131528.jpg
IMG_20160227_131625.jpg
IMG_20160227_131651.jpg
IMG_20160227_131720.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160227_131744.jpg
    IMG_20160227_131744.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 26
Once I move house I will be building a 'shed' from scratch myself - gonna be quite a project!!

So is the floor T&G just nailed to the baseboards or is that on lats as well ? also where is the floor insulation installed ??

Sorry for all the questions just need to know to build it into my own design

Cheers Kev

A bit about planning permission and building regs, as next door have a massive end of garden building I knew planning was not an issue, I did apply for a brick built flat roof 6m x 8m and was granted permission to build, to get around the 30sqm building regs this was going to be 2 structures with a 50mm gap between them but an adjoining door, otherwise building regs would insist on a 3m foundation WTF!!! Its an incidental games room...

Not liking this idea I found a wooden option that if assembled in 2 halfs but then joined is considered a mobile home or caravan and thus exempt from building regs, added to this the eves and pitch height will be under the planning permission requirements, technically I don't need planning but I am advising them that the material has changes and added ½ m to length.
Julian,
Can you explain the planning as I thought the ridge height had to be less then 2.4m for exemption from planning permission ??

Cheers Kev

So is the floor T&G just nailed to the baseboards or is that on lats as well ? also where is the floor insulation installed ??

Sorry for all the questions just need to know to build it into my own design

Cheers Kev

So the floor was first the concrete base, in which was a steel mesh and at the bottom a damp proof membrane.

The shed chaps put down strips of membrane just for wood bearers to sit on (these were evenly spaced out and about 1" in height (air-flowI was told), so the floor frame could sit on these rather than be in direct contact with the concrete (the floor frame was just like the wall cross-section, i.e. chip-board attached to the large frame (a little like 2x4 but not sure on actual dimensions), they then put in 50mm Celotex which left a 50mm air-gap, then a plastic sheet, and then another layer of chip-board was added to make the floor while they worked, finally the tounge & groove was laid.

Julian,
Can you explain the planning as I thought the ridge height had to be less then 2.4m for exemption from planning permission ??

Cheers Kev

Sure, it 2.4m to the eves of the building then to a maximum of 4m ridge height, from the highest part of your garden so having a garden slope helps, mine was 2.4m eves and 3.8m ridge.

Oh and the building has to be less that 50% of your garden, so I could of had 6.5m x 20m but I would have been killed!

Sure, it 2.4m to the eves of the building then to a maximum of 4m ridge height, from the highest part of your garden so having a garden slope helps, mine was 2.4m eves and 3.8m ridge.

Oh and the building has to be less that 50% of your garden, so I could of had 6.5m x 20m but I would have been killed!
Hi Julian, are you sure about that because everything I have read is 2.4m to the eaves, ONLY if it is more than 3m from any boundary. If it is within 2m of a boundary(which yours looks like it is) the TOTAL height cannot exceed 2.5m ??

I'm confused !!!

Cheers Kev

So the floor was first the concrete base, in which was a steel mesh and at the bottom a damp proof membrane.

The shed chaps put down strips of membrane just for wood bearers to sit on (these were evenly spaced out and about 1" in height (air-flowI was told), so the floor frame could sit on these rather than be in direct contact with the concrete (the floor frame was just like the wall cross-section, i.e. chip-board attached to the large frame (a little like 2x4 but not sure on actual dimensions), they then put in 50mm Celotex which left a 50mm air-gap, then a plastic sheet, and then another layer of chip-board was added to make the floor while they worked, finally the tounge & groove was laid.
Thanks for that

Back
Top Bottom