What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete (build) Log 'cavity wall' cabin Pinball Room

Yes, it does! I had bookmarked those exact 2.5KW Solaire heaters for the Mrs to add to the plans.... When you say "crap", how so?

They feel cheap and flimsy, even the sparky said they were crap.

Added to that the dial to set the temp is awful, again feels cheap and nasty, I'd stay away from these and go for the other ones I got they are chalk and cheese!

They do work, but if I had know what they were like I would not have got them, you can have 'em in the Autumn when I replace them, just pay for shipping or come and collect.

Julian why has the pic of the wall construction vanished - you know the one where I corrected you ? was relying on this for my shed building!!!

Cheers Kev

Julian why has the pic of the wall construction vanished - you know the one where I corrected you ? was relying on this for my shed building!!!

Cheers Kev

Not sure, not my doing, maybe the site update caused it, here it is again;

IMG_20160225_072015b.jpg

Remember the 5 - Battens should be chipboard which was attached to the framework.

In a well insulated space, storage heaters are just the job. They are always available on ebay. I have bought both new and used before. With the used, you can spray them with white gloss radiator paint in rattle cans and they then look like new.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dimplex-2...182768?hash=item43ec1dc4f0:g:QvQAAOSwAvJW-9bW

Just get them with a 3kw max input rating per heater, that way you can run them off your ring main using individual timer clocks and normal 3 pin plugs without the need for expensive rewiring shenanigans

The bricks are heavy. But they are very easy to dismantle, install and wire in. If you buy a well established brand (dimplex, creda), parts are readily available and cheap. There are millions and millions of these things installed in the UK so spares will be available for years to come.

Many folk think they are crap/ cheapo as their experience is of storage heaters in a cold, poorly insulated house where it is too hot in the morning, too cold at night. But whilst I know that I am repeating myself, the key is a well insulated room. Then they are perfect for this kind of application.

A friend who is a property developer advised me many years ago to fit these things - maintenance free, no water pipes to freeze if folk go away over Christmas and leave the heating off, no air locks, silent operation, no pump to fail, no boiler required, no annual safety inspection/ chimney cleaning/ servicing, no banging when they come on in the evening, tenants do not steal them as they are not valuable as scrap, no pipes to burst or leak

In a well insulated space, storage heaters are just the job. They are always available on ebay. I have bought both new and used before. With the used, you can spray them with white gloss radiator paint in rattle cans and they then look like new.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dimplex-2...182768?hash=item43ec1dc4f0:g:QvQAAOSwAvJW-9bW

Just get them with a 3kw max input rating per heater, that way you can run them off your ring main using individual timer clocks and normal 3 pin plugs without the need for expensive rewiring shenanigans

The bricks are heavy. But they are very easy to dismantle, install and wire in. If you buy a well established brand (dimplex, creda), parts are readily available and cheap. There are millions and millions of these things installed in the UK so spares will be available for years to come.

Many folk think they are crap/ cheapo as their experience is of storage heaters in a cold, poorly insulated house where it is too hot in the morning, too cold at night. But whilst I know that I am repeating myself, the key is a well insulated room. Then they are perfect for this kind of application.

A friend who is a property developer advised me many years ago to fit these things - maintenance free, no water pipes to freeze if folk go away over Christmas and leave the heating off, no air locks, silent operation, no pump to fail, no boiler required, no annual safety inspection/ chimney cleaning/ servicing, no banging when they come on in the evening, tenants do not steal them as they are not valuable as scrap, no pipes to burst or leak
How do these work out in terms of cost to run - 3kw is fairly significant amount of juice overnight ?

Cheers Kev

They feel cheap and flimsy, even the sparky said they were crap.

Added to that the dial to set the temp is awful, again feels cheap and nasty, I'd stay away from these and go for the other ones I got they are chalk and cheese!

They do work, but if I had know what they were like I would not have got them, you can have 'em in the Autumn when I replace them, just pay for shipping or come and collect.

Thanks for the tips. With a 5yr warranty you'd of thought the Adax's would be pretty good build quality. I'll have a word with my 'architect' and get back to you on that offer, much appreciated. Chances are she'll want to specify them now and get them done and certified when our sparky does the other wiring in a couple of weeks. I'm also running some Cat7 Ethernet in there for the office function when he does that, mainly because i hate WiFi for business purposes (even with a Billion Router) - can't beat a bit of copper for reliability!

Our build is 5x6m (with a bit cut out) so we're thinking 2x 2.5KW will be more than enough - plus it's a similar construction to yours, but with blocks on the outside and a cavity before the membrane.

View attachment 28575
Julian,

Can I just check one final thing on this pic? You state that number 3 (on the inside wall) is plastic sheeting ie not breathable and 100% waterproof (I assume), and number 6 (on the outside wall) is the breathable membrane. Is that correct as I seem to recall asking you about this and I thought it was the other way around ?

Cheers again bud

kev

Julian,

Can I just check one final thing on this pic? You state that number 3 (on the inside wall) is plastic sheeting ie not breathable and 100% waterproof (I assume), and number 6 (on the outside wall) is the breathable membrane. Is that correct as I seem to recall asking you about this and I thought it was the other way around ?

Cheers again bud

kev

The inside (number 3) was plastic sheeting this was placed all round i.e. walls, floor and roof. Where as to the outer wall, roof and floor was a breathable membrane.

Showed my daughters and now they want one. Problem is garden is a quarter of the size (who would live in London eh?). May be able to build one big enough for 3 or 4 Pins (plus the garden rubbish and sofa etc) so loved all your posts and pictures. Really really helpful to us all. Well done and can't wait for the meet.

Thanks for the tips. With a 5yr warranty you'd of thought the Adax's would be pretty good build quality. I'll have a word with my 'architect' and get back to you on that offer, much appreciated. Chances are she'll want to specify them now and get them done and certified when our sparky does the other wiring in a couple of weeks.

Our build is 5x6m (with a bit cut out) so we're thinking 2x 2.5KW will be more than enough - plus it's a similar construction to yours, but with blocks on the outside and a cavity before the membrane.

Hello,

We're going with an Elnur RF10E (1250W) & RF6E (750W) which should be plenty given our building volume and the insulation going in there. If not, portable air heaters! £30 or thereabouts from any good sh1te shop.

So thanks for the kind offer of those heaters, but we're sorted. :)

@Julian

How much space have you left between the 2 Elnur heaters at the far and your nearest games? Are they right up against them? Looks like you've got the 1Kw versions up there (you may have told me that already!).

I could maybe squeeze a 7th game in, but it'd be very close to the Elnur 750w heater.

View attachment 28575

I'm really interested to know, with construction like this it's quite a decent wall system, but what are the thermals like? Is it's toasty warm? Obviously much better than a standard shed/summer house from B&Q but wondering how well it keeps heat in/out and cold out etc.

For those yet to discover it, celotex and similar products like kingspan, xtratherm etc arè fantastic insulators. They are polyisocyanurate (PIR) foam. This is much more dense than old fashioned expanded foam (used in packaging). So you can use much thinner material for the same effect

@Julian

How much space have you left between the 2 Elnur heaters at the far and your nearest games? Are they right up against them? Looks like you've got the 1Kw versions up there (you may have told me that already!).

I could maybe squeeze a 7th game in, but it'd be very close to the Elnur 750w heater.

I have pins very close and the sides of the pinball do not get too warm. In fact so close that my legs can not squeeze between the pin and the heater, so like 8-10 inches or so, and actually the side of the heater when on do not really get hot just the air coming out the top of it.

I'm really interested to know, with construction like this it's quite a decent wall system, but what are the thermals like? Is it's toasty warm? Obviously much better than a standard shed/summer house from B&Q but wondering how well it keeps heat in/out and cold out etc.

I am amazed at how warm the cabin is with just 2 x 1kw heaters for 58sqm! especially when the heating company said I'd need 6kw minimum to maintain 21 degrees.
I have the 2 set for day time at 16 and night to 14 and am surprised how OK 16 feels when I go down to play or watch a movie, even when we had the cold snap in Feb.
It warms up quickly also, so for a movie I put it up for say 10-15 mins.
At a guess (as the heaters are plugged in with Wemo insight switches) I'd say it adds £22 per month (in total) to my lecky bill.

I have pins very close and the sides of the pinball do not get too warm. In fact so close that my legs can not squeeze between the pin and the heater, so like 8-10 inches or so, and actually the side of the heater when on do not really get hot just the air coming out the top of it.
cheers.

I'm tempted just to use the single 1KW heater as the main heat source, as it's nearer our office desks and easily accessible, and leave the 750W heater next to the pins on frost protection or a lower temp like 15 as a standby. I'm expecting our building to be very warm! Especially with 5-7pins on at a time, or 2 PCs, a NAS etc.

Always managed OK with a single, portable oil filled radiator on thermostat myself. So long as room insulation is good (and I only have 100mm loft insulation above ceiling) its been fine. Thought would need two, but not so.

Back
Top Bottom