What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watches

Tbh I think omega should just make them permanent , completely scupper the market and return value to there premium products

All this MoonSwatch talk has piqued my interest in the real one. Not that I'd ever spend that much on a watch (plus 42mm is a bit too big for my wrist) but I love the heritage and history and it's definitely and aspirational watch. For me the MoonSwatch just wouldn't cut it no matter how cheap or readily available it was.

Swatch website appears to be down at the moment.
Did they release them online and it was swamped?
Just wondering.

Website back up. It looks like they were changing the design as the home page now prominently features the new watch and has the following statement:

"We are overwhelmed by your fantastic support and by your extraordinary enthusiasm for the Bioceramic MoonSwatch Collection.

We do our best to fulfill demand and we hope that anyone who is moonstruck by this OMEGA x Swatch collaboration will soon be able to lay their hands on one of these watches.

The Bioceramic MoonSwatch Collection is not available for the time being for purchase online. We remind you that it is not a limited-edition and will soon be available again in selected Swatch stores.
"

Some Seiko 5 watches are half price at H.Samuel. I've got 3 similar ones and paid over £200 each for them. Seiko 5's are great value, especially at this price, had my blue one on in work today.

4̶0̶m̶m̶, automatic, day/date, 100m water resistance. EDIT: I think the website info is wrong and these are actually 42.5mm.

*10% off for new customers too.

Screenshot_20220329-141026_kindlephoto-631452396.png

Last edited:
Some Seiko 5 watches are half price at H.Samuel. I've got 3 similar ones and paid over £200 each for them. Seiko 5's are great value, especially at this price, had my blue one on in work today.

40mm, automatic, day/date, 100m water resistance.

*10% off for new customers too.

View attachment 165142

Seiko 5's are ICONIC. Love them. You won't get more bang for your buck in the watch world.

42 no good? Looks great imo
I've had larger than 40mm before and they just feel too big. It's only 2mm but it's surprising how much of a difference this makes (that's what she said!). 38mm is probably my ideal size, I've got a skinny 6.5" wrist.

The SRPE versions I've got are 40mm.

I'd make an exception for a Speedmaster (the real one, not the toy one) 😉.

Look what just arrived, what a bargain😎
A full tank of fuel!

Attachments

• 1F9E9437-71E9-4D45-A1DB-943A47D8DD4E.jpeg
    1F9E9437-71E9-4D45-A1DB-943A47D8DD4E.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Dude sold just a picture of the watches for over £2K

loads of folks are seeing the ink bleed of them onto their arms / clothes.

This watch business is completely crazy.

Had dinner with a friend last night. He is not a "watch person". Wore a 70s gold Omega dress watch for many years that was an heirloom he inherited as a teenager.

Started making good money. Bought a gold Vacheron Constantin maybe 10 years ago.

The three great makers are considered to be Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe, and Vacheron Constantin.

Was total crap. Unreliable. Never sorted. Back again and again for maintenance. Dumped at a posh jeweller at a loss. That jeweller has not managed to sell it in a year.

Walked up to a counter less than 4 years ago with an open mind. Bought a Patek Philippe 18ct Aquanaut for 28k as he liked it and was told it would be less trouble than his Vacheron. Wears it periodically without fear, it is not a boxed show queen.

Was told by a jeweller yesterday it is worth over 100k as he is considering selling. Costs 700 a year to insure. They now retail for about 33k but shops only get 2 examples a year. He asked how they decide who they sell them to as they are handing over 70 grand in profit. Was told..

1. Existing Patek owners only
2. Folk buying a substantial amount of other items at the same time

The other friend I saw yesterday is skint. Her combined fuel bills are increasing 2.5k a year. She has spent a small fortune on tutors for her final year of a levels twins as the school provided so little tuition since covid and both have aspirations for challenging uni subjects.

What a total mess the economy is in

I wouldn’t disagree!

But I do love watches, I bought myself a PP automatic, grand complication, perpetual calendar last November, same watch is now selling at 15K more! Nuts really.

That said, bought my first house, 6 months later the same houses were selling for 75% more than I had paid. And this was a <10 year old house on a modern estate, so comparing like for like in reality. I also have other very similar examples. Inflation is pretty normal, but if you’re tight on money it’s got to be a horrible situation.

Had dinner with a friend last night. He is not a "watch person". Wore a 70s gold Omega dress watch for many years that was an heirloom he inherited as a teenager.

Started making good money. Bought a gold Vacheron Constantin maybe 10 years ago.

The three great makers are considered to be Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe, and Vacheron Constantin.

Was total crap. Unreliable. Never sorted. Back again and again for maintenance. Dumped at a posh jeweller at a loss. That jeweller has not managed to sell it in a year.

Walked up to a counter less than 4 years ago with an open mind. Bought a Patek Philippe 18ct Aquanaut for 28k as he liked it and was told it would be less trouble than his Vacheron. Wears it periodically without fear, it is not a boxed show queen.

Was told by a jeweller yesterday it is worth over 100k as he is considering selling. Costs 700 a year to insure. They now retail for about 33k but shops only get 2 examples a year. He asked how they decide who they sell them to as they are handing over 70 grand in profit. Was told..

1. Existing Patek owners only
2. Folk buying a substantial amount of other items at the same time

The other friend I saw yesterday is skint. Her combined fuel bills are increasing 2.5k a year. She has spent a small fortune on tutors for her final year of a levels twins as the school provided so little tuition since covid and both have aspirations for challenging uni subjects.

What a total mess the economy is in
There's always been the haves and have-nots, nothing new there.

How to fix it is the question, communism?

Please don't hate me 😄. Who knows, I may get the real thing one day, this could just be a taster. Can't fault it for the money (£72 delivered) - Seiko mechaquartz movement, 100m water resistance, sapphire glass, solid link bracelet, it even came with an additional NATO strap.

It's also shown I can just about get away with a 42mm on my slim wrist.

IMG_20220421_151210649.jpgIMG_20220421_151255546.jpg

Where do you guys go for new batteries?
My formula 1 tag series 3 needs one, I normally take it to a place that pressure tests as well. But as i go nowhere near water with it, I’m thinking of just replacing it myself

@Doggard

i would not risk doing it yourself. Water in a watch is a complete disaster. A friend forgot to screw the crown in on his rolex pepsi, had a shower wearing it, and that caused very costly problems. I am sad enough to watch youtube videos where watchmakers refurb conked out classics - some devastated by water ingress.

No need to take it to Tag. A small high st watch repair shop could do the job. Cost is painful for bugger all, but it does represent peace of mind

@Doggard

i would not risk doing it yourself. Water in a watch is a complete disaster. A friend forgot to screw the crown in on his rolex pepsi, had a shower wearing it, and that caused very costly problems. I am sad enough to watch youtube videos where watchmakers refurb conked out classics - some devastated by water ingress.

No need to take it to Tag. A small high st watch repair shop could do the job. Cost is painful for bugger all, but it does represent peace of mind
I did watch a vid on YouTube, and with the correct tool, looked pretty easy tbh

But I’m pretty clumsy, so chances of doing something wrong is high ! 🤣

I’ll just take it to a watch shop in town, not going to bother with a pressure test though, I never wear it in water

Back
Top Bottom