What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watches

The seeker

Registered
Can anyone advise me on any decent watch forums similar to pinball info but with watches - uk based ? Looking for an omega speed master. Thanks

there isn't a UK forum. best forum is watchuseek

But I collect speedmasters (I have about 50 of them) what are you looking for specifically ?

Neil.

50! that's come collection Neil, you truly are the moon man! Im looking for a Speedmaster from 1979. Having turned 40 this year i thought it would be nice to buy one of that age- my age :)

BTW I took a look in a few jewellers windows today and I almost fell over at the prices watches have gone up over the last 2-3 years I was going to buy a sub at 30 and at the time I was looking at around 4k used depending on spec now in the same shop they were 8+. People always say if you buy a Rolex you never really loose money as they all go up in value and it seems to be so :) they say omegas are a solid choice but you must buy right. The thing about the Speedmaster is the whole moon watch thing - that's just so dam cool.

50! that's come collection Neil, you truly are the moon man! Im looking for a Speedmaster from 1979. Having turned 40 this year i thought it would be nice to buy one of that age- my age :)

how much you looking to spend?

A watch like that won't appreciate so much if at all. Getting one that old will be tough and likely not in great shape. If I where you I'd get the current Speedmaster MoonWatch, it comes in a stunning box. Or one of the limited edition watches that are around at the moment. No it won't appreciate either but it will have warranty and look amazing.

see below for the choices :D

https://watchbase.com/omega/speedmaster

Chrono24 is a great site but still buyer beware...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you go to a decent dealer they will strike a deal if you a serious buyer and you will have a little piece of mind.
I got a IWC Portuguese perpetual calendar from the wife for my 50th and at the time the list was around 22k she paid 18.5 which was a considerable saving.
The very same watch is now listed over 30k although I’m sure there are deals to be had. Even 2nd hand my watch tops well over 20k so far from an investment but not a money pit.
I have known mates spend more than I paid on a gold Rolex and they worth less than half they paid after walking out of the shop unless it’s a cheaper end SS Daytona which seem to hold their price quite well.
It’s a minefield out there if not clued up on watches in a lot of ways they like pins. Buy a certain Panerai, Rolex, Omega, IWC etc etc and its like a nice pin (looks good and loses very little) buy the wrong one and it tumbles just like some pins do.
My advice do a bit research find something you like and check the market history.
BTW I loved my omega planet ocean and miss it as a daily driver but sadly my Apple Watch seems to have filled that gap and I only get my IWC out on special occasions now.
Whatever you settle for you will enjoy it each time you check your wrist and again like a pinball nicer to look at than money sitting in the bank for a rainy day.
Best of luck with your search usually the watch chooses you when you try it on.

BTW Neil 50 oh my goodness you be spoilt for choice of a morning.

Nothing beats a nice watch on the wrist.
50, wow...that is a collection.
I cringe at My Mrs - got her a lovely Rolex Datejust and she properly wears it - scratches all over it. Don’t know how she even managed to scratch the sapphire crystal but she did.
My watches are unmarked.
Rolex does keep **** poor time though compared to a quartz - I guess same goes for most perpetual motion.

I bought a Seamaster about 99/00, I worked in film lighting and was on the World is not Enough set in Pinewood studios.
What would this be worth, it’s been sitting in my drawer for years.

EFC09116-1971-41F8-BE48-11265DCBE0FA.jpeg

I bought a Seamaster about 99/00, I worked in film lighting and was on the World is not Enough set in Pinewood studios.
What would this be worth, it’s been sitting in my drawer for years.

View attachment 94676
When the Seamaster was 1st released after Goldeneye..... it came in two models - the quartz and Automatic. I paid around 900 quid for the quartz version and sold it for half price after the x Mrs threw it at me and it bounced off the garden slabs. It had a big scuff on the bezel.
If yours is the quartz in the condition I can see I'd say maybe 500 quid, the automatic would be considerably more....
You could send it to Omega for a full service and refurb......will cost you maybe 400-500 quid but will get a watch back that will look virtually brand new
Edit: Also depends on box, papers etc.... with watch which really matters

Last edited:
I only paid 250 for it brand new, still got the box and papers for it. Mine is the quartz my bro bought the auto which broke and had to get fixed.
Think they were about 1k for the quartz new.
They are nice watches but I just don’t wear one now, even have an apple watch that was bought as a present that just sits on the side.

G-Shocks are my thing personally, but Omegas are pretty nice. That Grand Carrera is beautiful.

Now, if if I could get my hands on one, i'd have a Defy LAB, hands down. The way it oscillates is like music to my ears.

I was given this afew years ago but can’t find much out about it

Attachments

• 837F6763-1D50-41A1-9A23-37388A14C1AD.jpeg
    837F6763-1D50-41A1-9A23-37388A14C1AD.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 66
My taste in watches is similar to my taste in old computer hardware.

The older, cheaper, ****tier, and more broken when I bought it, the better. Currently still repairing a broken Casio BP-100 I got for basically nothing... Even new that's utterly cheap dirt compared to some of the watches being talked about here, but that's me.

Other than that and other novelty Casio watches (there really are a lot of very weird casios) I only really wear a Casio G-Shock Mudman so I can drag it through hell without worrying, as well as literally mud when doing airsoft matches.

This thread could spawn a site all of it's own! I've got a collection of antique watches (not 50 though!) including several Omegas, including some Constellations. Great timepieces if you love things mechanical but agree not worth buying as investments. That said, the Rolex I bought 40 years ago is selling second hand now for about 700% what I paid for it and it's stainless steel so no play on gold/platinum values. But still reckon my Rolexes keep the best time.

The Seeker ……........if you want a view on what you've got then one place I know that restores old timepieces is Littlecogs in Midhurst. The owner is a pukka watchmaker and usually happy to chat and ID stuff for free.

This will make most of you cry but I only wear four of them - the rest are in safe storage appreciating away - I hope! I have Apollo XI boxes signed by Buzz and Mike, Apollo XV signed by Dave and Al, Apollo XVI signed by Charlie snoopy box signed by Freddo - Apollo XVII signed by Gene and Apollo X signed by Gene and Tom...

The watches goto my granddaughter and grandson when they are 18 they can do what they like with them (hopefully keep one or two and sell the others for a deposit on a house or something!).

As Colin notices there is no such thing as a sure bet and buying carefully is important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A mate of mine invests in watches and the ones he bought have gone up so much it’s unreal.

That's serious collecting Neil. It'll be interesting to see how the value of the signatures compare to the value of the watches over time...…….assuming that these are a limited number of autographed boxes as opposed to the actual watches worn by Buzz Aldrin, etc.

Back
Top Bottom