What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watches

C'mon Neil, I am sure you can be better than this.

If you had read the post on G Shocks you would appreciate that the batteries never run out as they have multiple levels of redundancy.

What mechanical watch owners can tend to ignore is that they need regular maintenance or they fail. You spend your £1k, £3k, £10k, £20k on something and then in 5 years you get hit with a bill of £500 plus for cleaning and oiling the thing. If it needs a part, then pick a number. All my Tag, Rolex, IWC, Breitling have needed costly maintenance when my 4x G Shocks have needed zero

Solar - one day in sunlight fully charges them
9 month battery in case you experience no natural or artificial light for 9 months in which case the time of day is probably not your main concern
Auto power save mode at night unless you raise your wrist or push a button
Deep sleep mode for nocturnal cave dwellers after 9 months of zero light
Without a time signal they are accurate within a second a day. GPS G Shocks get the time signal anywhere on Earth, automatically and silently every night

Rolexs are not the best engineered mechanical watches. I think that honour goes to Patek Philipe. But a Rolex has been the choice for investment potential.

The Original Speedmaster Moon watches - I believe are NOT Mainsprung - self wind only.

Accuracy good Quartz wins then coin flip for self wind+ automatic depending on model/servicing.

Oiling the Jewels isn’t difficult.
Also, to reflow the oil on any watch, get your hairdryer out, it works trust me 👍

Yeah my Speedmaster Pro is specified as having tolerances of between -1 / +11 seconds per day. Most quartz watches for a few quid will beat this at +/- 0.5 seconds a day.

This ^

I have some certified Swiss Chronometers, come with all the certification of when they were tested in Switzerland, the actual watch is tested not the generic model. And they are remarkably accurate, however yes, quartz may be more accurate, not for me though, I’d sooner have a cylindrical box on my wrist filled with precision gears and mechanisms.

Each to their own I say, if you don’t want a watch, don’t buy one, if you do want a watch but the one that you want, it’s pretty simple really.

Chris.

I like watches. Maybe they are an investment but I would be seriously surprised if they can go anywhere but down in value considering nobody can go anywhere to wear them. Things that seem to be massively in demand are outdoors country things such as expensive wellies, puppies, basically everything Barbour, Hunter, Joules etc

Each to their own, don’t think I would be throwing spare cash into puppies or wellies thinking I’ll make my money back later... what is a 20 year old puppy worth 😂

I (foolishly) turned down my grail watch for 10k about 15 years ago, there now selling for 25-30k, I wouldn’t have it now anyway, it would of gone during divorce.

A puppy is for life though 👍

Chris.

Happy changing batteries, sorting bracelets, changing seals on Omegas and Tags etc..... on wife’s watches, save a bomb.
Rolex, I leave to dealer but will polish the polished parts only not the brushed metal due to grain.
Easy to do brushed metal on Omega and Tag though.
F66150ED-5BEC-4E21-BA41-A3D322D1A14B.jpegC4A4D2BA-729A-4BBB-A7DE-A74AB4063E88.jpegAE11EAFF-7DC3-4FA1-8527-39E17C0A40E9.jpegB7BECB5D-96EA-4D70-BE27-71992E424036.jpeg4C91B8E1-C143-4850-A5B8-0B3E2453FE26.jpeg

Reactions: C&C
^^^ If you just need to change the battery matey:-
To remove the back you will have either of the following case types on your watch:
- Twist off case - you need the big silver metal tool with the inserts
- Clipped on - This gets prized off
- Screwed in case - small jewellers screw driver needed
Check how yours is fitted.

A simple watchmakers kit for splitting the bracelet + doing the above which will open all types of backs on Amazon will cost 25 quid.
Batteries no more than 5 quid, get on Amazon once you get the back off check the model or google before hand.
The seal should be in good shape unless it’s been opened a number of times.
You can apply - Anchor sealing grease on the gasket if it’s dry. Again on Amazon for around 5 quid.

Ref pressure testing:
This is where people get suckered with dealers.
For changing a battery the Jeweller will always say it needs to go back to Tag to be Pressure tested to maintain its waterproof rating.
Trust me, that’s what the gasket is for with the grease.
Unless your life depends on it and you are going deep sea diving then you will be fine. No pressure testing required, who’s going down 50-100m - something to talk about what your watch can do in the pub I guess over a pint.

Last edited:
A little tip I saw for a twist down back that doesn't have anything to grip is using a small rubber ball, apply a bit of pressure and twist, worked like charm.

Ha ha that was going to be my next question, I've changed the batteries before in these watches and the wife's breitling but I've always thought you would need to get them pressure tested so they have never been in a bath never mind a sea.
I've got a watch tool kit with the essentials which came in handy as I got the wife a tag for her Christmas and as the shop I got it from was closed I ended up taking the links out myself which got me into the good books don't know why we can't go anywhere for her to wear it and she's been told that she won't be back in her office to next year so will likely sit in a box.

Think this was tested at 1000 fathoms - good video on pressure testing.
If it fails, they replace the gasket, cheap to replace if needed.

Last edited:
I am an open water scuba driver, but it is not really my thing.

When you dive, the deeper you go the harder everything becomes. Less light to see, the air tanks do not last as long (you consume more air the deeper you go), you might need to do a decompression stop on the way back up (wait at 5m for 5 minutes ). Most importantly, if you go below 25m you can't simply press the panic button and bob up as fast as possible.

Most holiday scuba divers will go on dives with a 25m limit. If you get to the normal recreational limit of about 40m then you are in nitrogen narcosis territory unless you use a special air mix.

Should anyone other than a professional diver be testing the capabilities of a 100m watch, let alone 200m let alone 1,220m (Rolex Sea Dweller), let alone 3,000m (Breitling Avenger Seawolf) believe me, the VERY last thing they will be worrying about is the seals on their watch.

The truly majestic thing about dive watches is that you don't even use them when you are diving !!!!! Many divers don't use any kind of watch at all. Those that do tend to use digital watch style dive computers that are depth gauges and warn you about going too deep, and tell you when to do a decompression stop, how long the stop should last, how quickly to ascend etc.

LOL - I think this is another Rob Zombie classic post. I can goto my kitchen, living room, pinball room, Sainsbury's and I still need to know what time it is. I can go to work,I can go to the drive through. I can click and collect from Dixons!
What time is it Neil? It's Nobody Cares What Time It Is Time. Ain't nobody going nowhere. Mark yourself down as At Lunch or Away and time has no meaning. The only time I need to know what time it is is for my tri-monthly appointment at the recycling centre since we only have one bin collection per month in Wales. 12 bin collections per year!!! Unfreakinbelievable.

I am an open water scuba driver, but it is not really my thing.

When you dive, the deeper you go the harder everything becomes. Less light to see, the air tanks do not last as long (you consume more air the deeper you go), you might need to do a decompression stop on the way back up (wait at 5m for 5 minutes ). Most importantly, if you go below 25m you can't simply press the panic button and bob up as fast as possible.

Most holiday scuba divers will go on dives with a 25m limit. If you get to the normal recreational limit of about 40m then you are in nitrogen narcosis territory unless you use a special air mix.

Should anyone other than a professional diver be testing the capabilities of a 100m watch, let alone 200m let alone 1,220m (Rolex Sea Dweller), let alone 3,000m (Breitling Avenger Seawolf) believe me, the VERY last thing they will be worrying about is the seals on their watch.

The truly majestic thing about dive watches is that you don't even use them when you are diving !!!!! Many divers don't use any kind of watch at all. Those that do tend to use digital watch style dive computers that are depth gauges and warn you about going too deep, and tell you when to do a decompression stop, how long the stop should last, how quickly to ascend etc.
Lol...... when in the Marines, a few of my mates were Ships Divers. Nothing too fancy, you just got extra pay for having the Adqual but had to keep your minutes up.
They loved it when in sunny climates diving when we were in the Med or Central America. However, when in Scotland during winter diving in Loch Fyne, you see them try and pull sickies etc..... one of my mates had just bought an Omega Seamaster, the one with the link strap to accommodate your wetsuit thickness. Used to rave about it, in Loch Fyne with all the kelp and mud, he told me he tried using it but couldn't see sh^t 😂

Reactions: DRD
Think this was tested at 1000 fathoms - good video on pressure testing.
If it fails, they replace the gasket, cheap to replace if needed.
Is it me or does a bubble appear at -0.34 seconds when he’s fixed it? Above the letter N about 2 o’clock?

All these g shock people are the same lot buying nib games rather than a 1500 quid beater but they do the same job.
I used to dive in my breitling pluton, love my Bremont s300. Have toyed with buying an omega semester 300.

C'mon Neil, I am sure you can be better than this.

If you had read the post on G Shocks you would appreciate that the batteries never run out as they have multiple levels of redundancy.

What mechanical watch owners can tend to ignore is that they need regular maintenance or they fail. You spend your £1k, £3k, £10k, £20k on something and then in 5 years you get hit with a bill of £500 plus for cleaning and oiling the thing. If it needs a part, then pick a number. All my Tag, Rolex, IWC, Breitling have needed costly maintenance when my 4x G Shocks have needed zero

Solar - one day in sunlight fully charges them
9 month battery in case you experience no natural or artificial light for 9 months in which case the time of day is probably not your main concern
Auto power save mode at night unless you raise your wrist or push a button
Deep sleep mode for nocturnal cave dwellers after 9 months of zero light
Without a time signal they are accurate within a second a day. GPS G Shocks get the time signal anywhere on Earth, automatically and silently every night

Rolexs are not the best engineered mechanical watches. I think that honour goes to Patek Philipe. But a Rolex has been the choice for investment potential.

Technically not true I had a solar g shock ended up having to have a new battery 3 times until I gave up and got a standard g shock. This was even after charging it in a green house for days on end. The model I had was well known for failing

I have a G Shock in the watch winder case thats been going off quietly with an alarm at 1am every morning for the last 6 months at least. Its not been loud or annoying enough for me to figure out how to stop it yet. Far too complicated. It even has some sort of tide indicator.

This thread gave me incentive to dig out my Omega Speedmaster Professional. I picked it up in Switzerland in 2001 when I was young and flush but have probably only wore it half a dozen times. I'm thinking it could go towards funding this expensive hobby and was wondering if anybody has any advise on the best way to sell it. I've seen the watch buying and selling websites, eBay which would be way to scary a route so was wondering what would be the best method?
Forgot I'd posted this. Since posting is anyone aware of any other channels that are available for selling that you have used or could recommend. I can post in classifieds as well if anyone is interested.

you gotta post some pics now its almost the law! :)
The close up is to show the genuine omega engraving buy difficult to catch with my phone

Attachments

• IMG_20210316_113005.jpg
    IMG_20210316_113005.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20210316_113101.jpg
    IMG_20210316_113101.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20210316_113109.jpg
    IMG_20210316_113109.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20210316_113324.jpg
    IMG_20210316_113324.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20210316_113139.jpg
    IMG_20210316_113139.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20210316_113218.jpg
    IMG_20210316_113218.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 33
You can kit yourself out for under 100 quid.
View attachment 129347

Totally agree.

About a year ago, I did just this as we were in lockdown and my wife mentioned that the battery was flat in her quartz (yes, not automatic!) Omega Constellation - not that we were actually going anywhere to wear it.

It's actually very straightforward to do with the right tools, which also includes a decent magnifier, and a bit of patience.

One interesting website which has an amazing variety of tools and other watch/jewellery supplies is CousinsUK. I've since put new batteries in all her quartz watches and adjusted the bracelet on a couple. I also tidied up some scratches on a brushed metal bracelet which I learnt to do from renovating fountain pens.

I've never been into expensive watches as I couldn't really afford or justify them, but like many things for me, I tend to like slightly less mainstream stuff.

My daily watch I've had for well over 20 years is a CWC military divers watch as issued to the SBS. It has been absolutely everywhere with me and has proved completely reliable. The battery normally lasts 5-6 years and I have been taking it back to the suppliers (Silvermans in Mile End) for new batteries, but will be changing it myself when it next runs out. I think it was around £450 when I bought it. They are a little more now.

cwc_watch.jpg

Around 18 months ago, I bought my first automatic watch - an Aevig Corvid (for €500). It has a Swiss STP1-11 movement. Not being used to automatic watches, it was strange having to set the time periodically, but I understand that it losing on average around a minute every 10 days or so is not too bad.

49075406932_5297201d12_k.jpg

49074497788_6292d54e3f_k.jpg

49074666383_72f602bafc_k.jpg

49074495738_ec435475b2_k.jpg

The ink is a bottle my niece brought back from Japan!

Last edited:
I changed the battery on my Seamaster not long ago, used the correct silicon grease etc. Did a couple of watches my wife had that had been flat for a while as well.
Not going diving so will be fine😁
8F62F0D8-B080-48F1-8CA7-26CA1B889905.jpeg215C4D62-CDB8-4BBF-911C-4611820C8B06.jpeg

Bought this today. The modern repro of the original Hamilton Pulsar quartz LED watch of the early 70s. These were outrageously expensive, much more than Rolexes back in the day.

The LED era watches were hungry with batteries so this technology had a short economic life when LCDs arrived a few years later.

Has continually running LCD screen so you can read it in daylight, press the button and the OLEDs come on for low light situations. 100m, sapphire crystal.

20210621_171841.jpg

Back
Top Bottom