What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watches

Most so called brand new premium watches _ Breitling, Omega, TAG, IWC ... are sold by watch shops at a huge premium to cost.

These can often be bought in mint condition, second hand for maybe 60 per cent of face value complete with box and papers. Original receipts may be tricky as folk often wish to keep their address secret.

Some rich folk buy a watch on a whim, wear it a couple of times then dump it. Other folk really want an [x] but buy an [y], realise that they still want a y, dump the x

I bought a titanium Breitling that was in this category, less than two years old for 60 per cent or so.

Rolex is a different kettle of fish altogether, it is a true store of value and they tend to go up. Most desirable Rolex watches are on back order, this keeps prices firm.

My advice would be to find a decent independent watch dealer. There is a shop in Manchester in the Royal Exchange Arcade, Goldmans I think. He has very reasonable prices on nearly new watches and has a vast stock on display, many more hidden away in his safe.

Paying with a credit card gives fraud protection. There are some extremely good fakes out there these days with proper jewelled movements.

That's serious collecting Neil. It'll be interesting to see how the value of the signatures compare to the value of the watches over time...…….assuming that these are a limited number of autographed boxes as opposed to the actual watches worn by Buzz Aldrin, etc.

Buzz wore one of the for 3 minutes not sure that will count though! :)

Here is Freddo (Apollo XIII LMP “she was a good ship”) signing the Silver Snoopy Apollo XIII

0640cdd6995a7bc8d9fc95a5743f5f2d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Most so called brand new premium watches _ Breitling, Omega, TAG, IWC ... are sold by watch shops at a huge premium to cost.

These can often be bought in mint condition, second hand for maybe 60 per cent of face value complete with box and papers. Original receipts may be tricky as folk often wish to keep their address secret.

Some rich folk buy a watch on a whim, wear it a couple of times then dump it. Other folk really want an [x] but buy an [y], realise that they still want a y, dump the x

I bought a titanium Breitling that was in this category, less than two years old for 60 per cent or so.

Rolex is a different kettle of fish altogether, it is a true store of value and they tend to go up. Most desirable Rolex watches are on back order, this keeps prices firm.

My advice would be to find a decent independent watch dealer. There is a shop in Manchester in the Royal Exchange Arcade, Goldmans I think. He has very reasonable prices on nearly new watches and has a vast stock on display, many more hidden away in his safe.

Paying with a credit card gives fraud protection. There are some extremely good fakes out there these days with proper jewelled movements.

Unless you get the paperwork - the watch becomes valueless pretty quickly! So beware if you are doing this to resell

Neil

I decided to treat myself to a new Rolex Daytona. I didn’t realise its almost impossible to buy new from an authorised dealer.
If lucky 2-3 years waiting list. Crazy Rolex times.

Love the space stuff Neil, Tom re your Daytona. How much did you need to put down to secure the watch in 3 years ?
Hi, I never got that far. Check out Rolex 116508 gold with Green dial. List at 28k. On sale on grey market at 40k plus.
9k stainless 14k plus. Just ridiculous

oh I like those! can you tell me more about them?
Well you did ask?

Very hard to find Addidas HSD 602 LED wrist watch from the early 2000's. This was a modern rendition of the Bulova Computron from the mid 1970's.

I believe Addidas only made 1000 of these watches.

This watch was 1 of 3 retro LED watches that Addidas made, HSD 601, HSD 602 and HSD 604.
Issued in 2004, the HSD is a collaboration between the Stelux Watch Company and adidas Originals, and only available in limited numbers from selected adidas boutiques. A striking design, made of chunky stainless steel, the HSD 603 successfully blends elements of retro and futurism.
In fact, when not in use, the HSD 603 does not appear to be a timepiece at all.
When operated, however, a bright red LED (Light Emitting Diode indicates the time or date - appearing on the screen for 3 seconds.
Features
/// Large engraved trefoil on top face
/// Premium presentation branded clasp box
/// Black patent leather strap with debossed trefoil branding on underside
/// Heavyweight stainless steel construction
/// Engraved trefoil on watch strap clasp
Condition
Excellent condition.
Specifications
Case length 41mm
Case width 32mm
Display height 8mm
Display width 32mm
Height 9mm (14mm at upper end of display)
Runs on a CR 2032 battery

I remember when the Daytona came out.....the stainless was worth more than the bi-metal 18ct gold.
Supply and demand - crazy.

Hi, I never got that far. Check out Rolex 116508 gold with Green dial. List at 28k. On sale on grey market at 40k plus.
A mate was on about these or like the other week as he managed to buy a few of types and was bragging about how much he was going to make, thought he was talking rubbish😬

That’s a fair point but I’d be extremely surprised if a good dealer had any fakes in their stock.
If they do, they’re in the wrong business.
Hard to spot for an amateur, extremely easy to spot for a Pro.

Last edited by a moderator:

The snoopy watch above is like that;I paid 7K for it - they are now selling around the 22K mark... mine has Lovell and Haise signatures on it so would go for a lot more!

Neil

Here is my collection of watches....very rare!...came free with 3 vouchers from cheerio cereal box's if I remember correctly! (Please feel free to correct that,as I am old and forgetful!). Circa 1997 Jurassic park lost world. Anyone trade for a jp pinball!
Money my way......:rofl: still keeps good time......(and yes, before you ask this is the only watch I own.........).

IMG_4343.JPG

Here is my collection of watches....very rare!...came free with 3 vouchers from cheerio cereal box's if I remember correctly! (Please feel free to correct that,as I am old and forgetful!). Circa 1997 Jurassic park lost world. Anyone trade for a jp pinball!
Money my way......:rofl: still keeps good time......(and yes, before you ask this is the only watch I own.........).

View attachment 95886
I'm pretty sure my kids would trade all my pinball machines for that watch.

View attachment 95886

"quartz" the sign of doom. :D

This thread gave me incentive to dig out my Omega Speedmaster Professional. I picked it up in Switzerland in 2001 when I was young and flush but have probably only wore it half a dozen times. I'm thinking it could go towards funding this expensive hobby and was wondering if anybody has any advise on the best way to sell it. I've seen the watch buying and selling websites, eBay which would be way to scary a route so was wondering what would be the best method?

This thread gave me incentive to dig out my Omega Speedmaster Professional. I picked it up in Switzerland in 2001 when I was young and flush but have probably only wore it half a dozen times. I'm thinking it could go towards funding this expensive hobby and was wondering if anybody has any advise on the best way to sell it. I've seen the watch buying and selling websites, eBay which would be way to scary a route so was wondering what would be the best method?

Chrono24.co.uk

Post the details here I might be interested :)

Neil

I have a very good reliable Chinese chap in Thailand that gets Asia grade replicas. Next visit is April 2020 so hoping he will have the latest James Bond Omega for me.
Thai baht is strong at the mo so having to pay a bit more now. Still good watches though.

Attachments

• IMG-20171103-WA0071.jpg
    IMG-20171103-WA0071.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 58
Lol - Yeha it’s a “great fake”!

This shows how the market can change:
I bought this Rolex Submariner new in 2014 for just over 6k.
It’s sat in a box since.
Price has sky rocketed to 20K for a new one.
Rolex have discontinued it...hence price hike, green face, green bezel model, supply and demand, crazy.
https://www.chronext.co.uk/rolex/submariner/116610lv/001684
Second hand prices for well used ones circa 15k
43FCD756-A6E6-450E-A31A-B2F18EA1CA3E.jpeg832D8A0C-32E0-4C39-9ED8-7C1042E5C8E9.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom