What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watches

This shows how the market can change:
I bought this Rolex Submariner new in 2014 for just over 6k.
It’s sat in a box since.
Price has sky rocketed to 20K for a new one.
Rolex have discontinued it...hence price hike, green face, green bezel model, supply and demand, crazy.
https://www.chronext.co.uk/rolex/submariner/116610lv/001684
Second hand prices for well used ones circa 15k
A mate was telling me about the increases a couple of years ago, you seen what Bitcoin is going for now😱
I was offered some for a couple of grand each a while back but just didn’t trust it. Still don’t😊

How far can these things keep going up, unreal.

This shows how the market can change:
I bought this Rolex Submariner new in 2014 for just over 6k.
It’s sat in a box since.
Price has sky rocketed to 20K for a new one.
Rolex have discontinued it. Green face, green bezel model, supply and demand, crazy.
https://www.chronext.co.uk/rolex/submariner/116610lv/001684
Second hand prices for well used ones circa 15k
View attachment 129227View attachment 129228

I got my Hulk in 2010 when they came out from my local jeweller for £4910 a weekend before a 10% price increase.

I had around £14k of an achievable value. 92fea55ba70f33271680885dc4d68f95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember at college in the 90’s I received a bursary for 5k tbh I never really understood what it was for, I did plan to buy a submariner with it, but didn’t and invested it on nights out, girlfriends and generally living like a lord 24 7 I don’t miss the submariner but I would miss those memory’s. Still aim to get a sub one day, such dam nice watches

Could anyone identify this Seamaster please? It's an old automatic, belonged to my grandfather.

I searched chrono24 for 'omega seamaster' but couldn't find this model within the 12000 results...

IMG_20210103_115412~2.jpg

Hay Neil Is this a “NASA” snoopy watch ?

NASA never "sponsor" anything, but Omega have been the official NASA watch since the 60's. That model is called the Apollo XIII Silver Snoopy Limited Edition. they made 1970 and they sold out almost immediately, I nearly missed out on it but fortunately Omega UK are good friends of mine :D and got me one and they pretty much give me a heads up on anything coming in now.

There are three Omega Snoopy watches. I have two of them both unworn and the third was released earlier this year but they haven't made it limited edition and they priced it high and typically those watches sink in value. I have this one, the first one below. The watches are to signify the award of a Silver Snoopy, which the astronauts give personally to individuals or organsations who make a significant contribution to the space programme. Omega received the award just after Apollo XIII because the Moonwatch was used to time the engine burns that returned the crew safely. The Apollo XIII gave the award to Omega on October 1970. You can see on the photo above the what could you do in 14 seconds which was one of the key moments of the Apollo XIII mission.

Silver-Snoopy-Award-Omega-extract-Apollo-13.jpg
17744674-pep5qvvjf7ydkswh7ku7n3us-Zoom.jpg

the new one is below, the backside of it is lovely but not sure about the front liable to get this as a wearer sometime this year.

17331760_1.jpg

the new one is

Could anyone identify this Seamaster please? It's an old automatic, belonged to my grandfather.

I searched chrono24 for 'omega seamaster' but couldn't find this model within the 12000 results...

View attachment 129245

there are thousands of them. go on watchuseek someone will help you I'm not a seamster expert.

Neil.

NASA never "sponsor" anything, but Omega have been the official NASA watch since the 60's. That model is called the Apollo XIII Silver Snoopy Limited Edition. they made 1970 and they sold out almost immediately, I nearly missed out on it but fortunately Omega UK are good friends of mine :D and got me one and they pretty much give me a heads up on anything coming in now.

There are three Omega Snoopy watches. I have two of them both unworn and the third was released earlier this year but they haven't made it limited edition and they priced it high and typically those watches sink in value. I have this one, the first one below. The watches are to signify the award of a Silver Snoopy, which the astronauts give personally to individuals or organsations who make a significant contribution to the space programme. Omega received the award just after Apollo XIII because the Moonwatch was used to time the engine burns that returned the crew safely. The Apollo XIII gave the award to Omega on October 1970. You can see on the photo above the what could you do in 14 seconds which was one of the key moments of the Apollo XIII mission.

View attachment 129265
View attachment 129249

the new one is below, the backside of it is lovely but not sure about the front liable to get this as a wearer sometime this year.

View attachment 129250

the new one is
Yes, they look very cool indeed! Love Snoopy in the little space suit 👍.
Snoopy brings back fond 1970s memories for me... in fact my very 1st timepiece was a Timex Snoopy with white face mum got for my birthday. I was 5 years old and soon afterwards, my bitch step sister sold it for a 10 pack of smokes....John Player Special 😬

Yes, they look very cool indeed! Love Snoopy in the little space suit 👍.
Snoopy brings back fond 1970s memories for me... in fact my very 1st timepiece was a Timex Snoopy with white face mum got for my birthday. I was 5 years old and soon afterwards, my bitch step sister sold it for a 10 pack of smokes....John Player Special 😬
Get one of these, love my Timex Q Snoopy

Attachments

• IMG_20210103_130023.jpg
    IMG_20210103_130023.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 20
^^^ holy smoke, you must really explore mountains and stuff 😃
Must have taken a beating to need to replace all those components...

Last edited:
I think that Rolex watches make a fascinating case study.

I bought a Sea Dweller while on holiday in the Caribbean in 2003. Cost about £2.2k. The following day I could not believe how stupid I had been. It felt like a child's impulse buy. The box had all this tacky crap inside it, including a stupid anchor on a chain !

It was so inaccurate that I bought a solar Casio G Shock to set it with for about £50. The Casio is always correct to within a fraction of a second as it automatically resets every night using the Rugby time signal. One day in the sun powers it for about 9 months. It knows when it is dark and the light comes on when you twist your wrist to look at it.

Never goes wrong. Needs zero maintenance. Does not scratch. Water and shock proof. Noone will steal it. A totally superior product to the Rolex.

Over the years that cheap Casio has cost me zero. The Rolex has cost me many hundreds, requiring servicing, mollycoddling and insurance.

The cheapest Sea Dweller on Watchfinder today is £9.5k. The Casio would fetch less than a tenner on eBay.

I have a few fancy watches. My two IWCs last year cost me over a grand to service for the pair. One needed a bit that only IWC could supply direct. IWC can't even line the hands up properly on the sub dials. One has been back twice. The watch shop agreed with me that IWC service is crap. "Within tolerance" IWC claim. Well, the hands lined up when it was new.

Premium watches are an illustration of madness imho. My daily watch is a still a G Shock, but a snazzier one.
16096910589196697332941214595859.jpg

Watches are a strange one, does anyone really need a watch on their wrist nowadays with mobile phones being such an integral part of our lives?

I like watches myself, got about 35 but that includes a fair few cheap Casio digital ones and nearly all mine cost <£100. They all perform the same function of telling the time, better than the ones that cost £1000's which is telling.

I can see why people buy expensive ones as an investment but to wear a really expensive watch is a bit of a status symbol I suppose, "look how rich I am" or "look how well I am doing".

Saying that though if I'm wearing a nice watch, even if no one else can see it, still puts a smile on my face glancing down at it.

I could never wear an expensive watch without worrying about damaging/losing it, or being mugged for it, plus all the additional expense that comes with them.

I got a tudor GMT about 18 months ago but I was on the waiting list for about 9 month's until I got one, it drove the second hand price up by about a grand but they seem to be available now, just had my brietling aerospace serviced at brietling and the bill was just short of £500 but it's my daily watch.

Watches are a strange one, does anyone really need a watch on their wrist nowadays with mobile phones being such an integral part of our lives?

Need, probably not, but I do enjoy wearing an engineering masterpiece on my wrist, have a few, an Omega Speedmaster triple day date for a regular wear. I’m lucky to own other makes, Breitling, Rolex, PP, IWC, GP.... nice to have options.

As with everything in life, as we’re human, we all like different things, fortunately.

The thought of a tap on the head one day to remove a watch from you isn’t great, most thieves likely wouldn’t recognise a PP, and they are often understated so I’m hoping a safer bet.

Chris.

Back in 1993 when I was in Belize for 6 months....
My mate fell asleep on the beach after drinking all day.
When he woke his Rolex Pepsi GMT master was gone. Someone took it off his wrist and stole his wallet.
Expensive night out 😂

I like watches. Maybe they are an investment but I would be seriously surprised if they can go anywhere but down in value considering nobody can go anywhere to wear them. Things that seem to be massively in demand are outdoors country things such as expensive wellies, puppies, basically everything Barbour, Hunter, Joules etc

I like watches myself, got about 35 but that includes a fair few cheap Casio digital ones and nearly all mine cost <£100. They all perform the same function of telling the time, better than the ones that cost £1000's which is telling.

I can see why people buy expensive ones as an investment but to wear a really expensive watch is a bit of a status symbol I suppose, "look how rich I am" or "look how well I am doing".

Saying that though if I'm wearing a nice watch, even if no one else can see it, still puts a smile on my face glancing down at it.

I could never wear an expensive watch without worrying about damaging/losing it, or being mugged for it, plus all the additional expense that comes with them.
Mobile phones run out of batteries . But tell me what <£100 watch keeps time better than my Omega Speedmaster?

Neil.

I like watches. Maybe they are an investment but I would be seriously surprised if they can go anywhere but down in value considering nobody can go anywhere to wear them. Things that seem to be massively in demand are outdoors country things such as expensive wellies, puppies, basically everything Barbour, Hunter, Joules etc
LOL - I think this is another Rob Zombie classic post. I can goto my kitchen, living room, pinball room, Sainsbury's and I still need to know what time it is. I can go to work,I can go to the drive through. I can click and collect from Dixons!

I am not on commission, but a solar g shock is the absolute king of watches.

In my life I have owned innumerate watches. Of those I can remember - Timex, Ingersoll, Buler, Seiko, Oris, Tag, IWC, Breitling, Rolex .... various ones have died, been given away, been put in a box when they started to fail etc

Rolex servicing is excellent. Tag is crap. IWC is poor.

Every single one of the above has required some repair work - be that maintenance, servicing, batteries, new parts...

I also own 4 casio solar G shocks that receive the Rugby time signal automatically overnight. My oldest is 17 years old. Two are around ten years old. None have ever required any form of maintenance beyond a wipe.

The original G Shock concept dates from the mid 80s. Survive a 10m drop onto concrete, 10 yr battery life, 10 bar (100m) water resistant.

The later solar (with 9 month battery plus powersave so they never forget the time) and radio signal models have made them the ultimate watch imho.

@Marvello

I think I have one of those. At the time I think that it was the only way of getting a bracelet rather than the standard strap?

is this a joke?! :D

What happens when your quartz (makes sign of the cross gesture) battery runs out?

how is that accuracy in the cold or very warm weather- quartz is regulated to work at a specific temperature range.

I'll get my coat :D

Neil.

is this a joke?! :D

What happens when your quartz (makes sign of the cross gesture) battery runs out?

how is that accuracy in the cold or very warm weather- quartz is regulated to work at a specific temperature range.

I'll get my coat :D

Neil.
What scenario are you envisioning where your life as you know it changes irrevocably by not knowing the exact time?

If you get your hand/arm trapped between 2 rocks for a few days and you can't move it to charge your automatic watch you'll be wishing you had a £7 digital watch, or better still a mobile phone :p

Back
Top Bottom