What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete STTNG the next one for the shop job!

Not much done tonight as its the dreaded lock down bar which I hate cleaning!!!

Couple of before and afters

P9090241.JPG
P9090242.JPG
P9090248.JPG
P9090249.JPG

cab just about finished wiring loom back in and head on. Only thing left is the coin door which will be done at the weekend. Well pleased with this looking really swell !!

oh and I forgot the gun handle to do with BBQ paint should be fun !!!

couple of pics from tonights 3 hours!!!

P9100250.JPG

P9100251.JPG

head back on and powered up perfectly first time!!

P9100256.JPG

Cheers Kev

Hi Kev the shop of STNG is looking great. Have you had the lock down mechanism and other metals re-plated or is this good old fashioned elbow grease and auto-sol? You've got them all looking like new :)

Hi Kev the shop of STNG is looking great. Have you had the lock down mechanism and other metals re-plated or is this good old fashioned elbow grease and auto-sol? You've got them all looking like new :)
Just elbow grease and auto sol !!!!

Cheers Kev

OK cab and head now totally finished other than LEDs when they arrive. A few shots of the last couple of bits ie gun and coin door

Before a tad scratched!!

P9110257.JPG

And after the finished job used the BBQ paint for these and it really works well - it just needs to be well baked with the heat gun - sorry about the greasy fingerprints forgot to wipe em off!!

P9130267.JPG

Finished job and now onto playfield
P9130268.JPG

OK spent a few hours on the playfield stripped it this far today - there is a lot of bits on a STTNG playfield - like 18 posts!!!

P9130326.JPG
P9130327.JPG
P9130328.JPG
P9130331.JPG
All the bits from the top and bottom of the playfield
P9130330.JPG
This lot is now in the tumbler although pretty clean to begin with, so shouldn't take long
P9130329.JPG

Nearly stripped just slings and pops to take off then its clean up time

Playfield top totally stripped now - pops and slings off and that's it. Now do I clear coat or go down the polish route hmmmm???

One knackered pop ring
P9140339.JPG

and one mucky playfield but it is in good nick

P9140346.JPG

P9140350.JPG

P9140351.JPG

dull and very mucky!!!! Now the restore/rebuild begins in earnest!!!

Cheers Kev

The mylar comes off pretty easily on clearcoated playfields to be honest. Freeze spray is the best IMO, you just need to get a corner up and then shoot underneath it. When you get it right the mylar just lifts off without any effort whatsoever. Then just get rid of the glue with IPA and flour. :thumbs:

Hi Kev great work on the pin it's looking awesome.

Ditto @aaronhicksuk comments just be careful if there's any around insert decals. It comes off very easily with the freeze spray. I got the glue off with goo gone, you just need to leave it on for a little while and it turns the glue to a gel like substance which wipes off. (Well it did when I used this technique on my T2) :)

@PeteB thinking of trying your polishing method on the playfield - order all of the polishes just wondering if you remove any mylar before you begin or polish over it ?

Cheers Kev

Mylar is a bit of a different beast. I don't remove it unless it's bubbling or very cloudy. Polishing it is hard though.

You can try going over it first and see what result you get, comparing with areas the ball hasn't touched, but if it's not playing nice then try wet sanding it with 1000 grit and go to 1500 (if you love hard labour, go to 2000 lol). Then buff with the G3.

If it still looks crap and you're thinking of removing the mylar, then as a last resort try flame polishing like on ramps. Have to be even more careful than with ramps though. I've seen it work but screwed it up before I got the whole playfield done. :(

It comes off very easily with the freeze spray.
I don't know if I just got lucky but the freeze spray method worked like a charm on my non-clear coated Rocky & Bullwinkle playfield. Once i'd got a corner lifted the whole section of mylar came up totally clean. I think I did all the mylar on the playfield in about 30 minutes.

so is the STTNG clearcoated - it sort of looks it on the clean bit - just no mention on the playfield of diamond coating ????

Is full playfield covered in mylar or is it just a few strips in key areas, like in front of the slings, a patch where the ball drops etc?

If it's full playfield then I doubt you will have clear coat as well.

Is full playfield covered in mylar or is it just a few strips in key areas, like in front of the slings, a patch where the ball drops etc?

If it's full playfield then I doubt you will have clear coat as well.
Just a couple of strips Pete, right loop, inbetween pops and mission start shot - so I guess probs better taking it off ? Manual does say it is hardcoated, but doesn't mention diamond coat anywhere in manual or on playfield ?

Cheers Kev

Back
Top Bottom