What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete STTNG the next one for the shop job!

newdos

Site Supporter
Alias
Newdos
Next one in the workshop, but TBH this one is in really good nick. Couple of broken plastics and a cracked subway ramp but thats about it. Gonna re-decal it though as the head sides are knackered and the cab has a lot of touch ups on it. Here are a couple of shots before work begins.

Cheers Kev

P6090001.JPG
P6090002.JPG
P6090003.JPG
P6090004.JPG P7020005.JPG

Judging by your other fantastic restores I eagerly await to see how this turns out, should be fab! :clap:

Getting one of these machines myself so be watching this thread... thanks for sharing your work on this, hope I learn some stuff...

OK Finally started the tear down today - just a couple of pics

Sure is filthy !!! yes that is muck on the ramp!!!

P7260008.JPG

P7260026.JPG

Few wireforms and plastics off - lots to go yet though!!!

pretty much top of playfield stripped now - next job to lift playfield out and get it on rotisserie so I can get at the underneath more easily
P8020087.JPG

P8020092.JPG

P8020141.JPG

Nice to see it all stripped, I didn't realise the cannons had such an impressive metal base!

Tempted to do this myself... I thought my pop bumper was missing its cap, but seems thats by design :)
yes there are only 2 pop caps.

Cant take any more odd now until I lift playfield out and get it on the rotisserrie

OK more progress today - here are pics of the cab and head befor4e I start the decal job for reference later....
P8030142.JPG
P8030146.JPG
P8030144.JPG
P8030143.JPG
P8030145.JPG

And here is the head stripped of all the boards ready for cleaning, sanding, filling, more sanding and then painting prior to start of re-decal job

P8030151.JPG

It is in pretty good nick so should take much work. Got to strip the PCB mount board off next and all the metal work then its good to sand and remove the decals. Never under estimate the amount of pics you need when doing this - so far I have took over a 150 and not really done much yet !!!

Watch this space for next update.....

Cheers Kev

Forgot to ask best method for re-painting the launch gun as its pretty battered ? Is it usual black paint and then perhaps a clearcoat on it - or hammerrte it ?

On my metalwork I'm trying the bar-b-q paint baked on with hot air gun that PeteB recommends over etch primer. I'm still stripping paint but intend to practice on parts of my Mame cab first.

Edit: this approach is reportedly well resistant to finger marks hence my thought regarding the gun

On my metalwork I'm trying the bar-b-q paint baked on with hot air gun that PeteB recommends over etch primer. I'm still stripping paint but intend to practice on parts of my Mame cab first.

Edit: this approach is reportedly well resistant to finger marks hence my thought regarding the gun
bar b q paint not tried that - any pics of results yet and where do you get it from ???

I bought this one PeteB recommended (from The Range and other places). If you look through his RFM shop log he talks about the process and pics of it in use.
ecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_71QguwekWgL._SL1500_.jpg

Hi, Kev,

Unless you've got one handy, order a 'Frame & Eyelet' for the drop target. Your first picture shows that, as often happens with Next Gen, the retaining flange for the armature plate (with the target dropping 'finger' on it) seems to have broken off. Only the return spring is holding the plate roughly in place. Also, with the plate/finger so far away from the target, the relay coil could well get over-worked lowering the target. I've seen them burn out due to this.

I have to say that the game's artwork looks in really good order. But before me also suggesting there is any madness involved in decalling it ......

I do recognise that games always look better on the forum than they do in the flesh. Especially on minor cabinet damage

Yeah guys the art work isn't that bad but close of there are lots of scratches and dents that you cant see in the pics especially on the head, and if the head needs doing might as well do the lot and do the job right!!

I agree with the comments about your sanity! Also how the he'll is the machine sitting on the trolley with the head up?!!
always does on the trolley if when in one piece!!! trolley goes back just far enough to get past centrepoint

I have one similar but have to have the heads down or they'll topple! Sttng is a beast of a machine too, glad to see you have a back saving trolley! Yours looks like it will clean up lovely, have fun!

Head all stripped bare now and playfield on rotisserie ready to begin!!!
P8040154.JPG

P8050162.JPG

Lot of work done on the head now all stripped fully sanded down to 400 grit and ready for decals

P8130164.JPG

and now with decal on looking very nice!! and a before shot for those of you who said I was mad lol !!!! Hopefully you can see the difference and well worth it
P8130166.JPG P8030145.JPG

Won't bother with other side - next pic you will see will be head fully finished

Cheers Kev

Think he looks better with a few battle scars :)

Looking at the original, there's a bit of blue on the outside of the blue border on the right. Why is this not on the repro?

Think he looks better with a few battle scars :)

Looking at the original, there's a bit of blue on the outside of the blue border on the right. Why is this not on the repro?
haha Phil thats because they were all scratches!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom