What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Ghostbusters

Factory setting means Extra balls on? I haven't changed anything but the machine does give out quite a lot of extra balls, will have to dial it back a bit.

Yes sorry should have said replay set as extra ball, amended

Hi,
I would like to share the information that the www.adpin.de/english/ website has been updated packed with lots of details about the adjustable pinlever.
There are a little bit longer flipper fingers available to shorten the gap of the new Ghostbusters. The pictures show the difference between the standard Stern flipper fingers and the AdPin version PRO which is 3,5mm longer each (all dimensions in millimetre). Currently available colours are: black, blue, green. Violet is in production.

In case you would like to play a harder game on other machines, you are also able to reduce the length of the flipper finger. All AdPin accessories are made from high quality aluminium and anodised with brilliant colours. Another advantage is the easy and quick adjustment of the angle from the top.
Do you like them? What do you think about them?

View attachment 30911 View attachment 30912
View attachment 30913 View attachment 30914 View attachment 30915

Hi All,

We have anodised special Ghostbusters flipper fingers in violet colour and they are available now :)
You will find a picture attached. We will share pics of installation shortly.
Please look for further information online at www.adpin.de/english

Bye Bye FlipperSuse
Ghostbusters Violett01.JPG

Last edited:
Is anyone else as amazed as I am at how many of these are up for sale already?
Seems generally folk are saying it's too hard.
I went in an arcade in Yarmouth a few weeks back where a GB sits alongside a WOZ. I wanted to play WOZ most as played loads of sterns but this one must have been setup wrong as it drained LHS all the time and just couldn't get going.
The GB however I thoroughly enjoyed and did quite well on. I left saying I'd have on one day.
I'm really surprised

Do people not know how to increase the number of balls per game if its too difficult?

Personally I really enjoy the added challenge of the game, double 'avatar' in-lanes with zero rubber to work with, tough and tight shots, shallow flipper angles and the added Trudeau gap between the flippers. Would be dull if all games followed the same set design template.

It does look like it's a tough game..are we on 4 or so advertised on here?

Is it likely to be changed, e.g would changes to the code help, or is it a more physical issue with ball drains?

It is a tough game, there is no doubt about that and I can understand if this was bought for kids not being the best. There is a tonne of content in there and none of it would be seen unless it was made easier than stock settings.

All 3 that have been listed for sale (one was relisted after use at NERG only, so call it 4 if you want) were pre orders before the game could be played, so just highlight the risk of jumping on something without playing it. One is being sold as too hard for kids, one by a user getting out of the hobby to fund a home imporvements (who also sold his Luci) and one was sold as it just didnt click with the owner. Stern seem to have taken an accessible theme, made it look great and enticed newer players to buy it having actually built a game that seems more suited for an experienced player after a challenge.

One thing I have noticed is that the flippers seem to be set ever so slightly shallower than on other pins - is this normal across all GB's by design or do they just need a sligh manual tweak?

Some thoughts I have for future code would be:-

Modes lit from first plunge automatically, not linked to skill shot - while I appreciate this challenge of getting the ball under control and making the correct shot for newer players this is quite an ask on such a fast game where getting the ball under control can be tough. As a result, quite often there was only the ghost targer and slimer to shoot for and making ramps, orbits etc werent really doing anything. This just turns off newer players.

A 2 ball mulit ball would be nice - I would link this to the Scolari Brothers as the drops are quite dangerous shots.

Storage Facility Multiball - Please disable the Scolari Brothers! They get in the way and as a result sometime multiballs can be over quite quickly, which given it is relatively difficult for a novice player to achieve is another turn off.

I dont see much talk of strategy's for getting the big points or most consistent methods for tournament play. So, how are people playing the game??

Reactions: JT.
I tweaked a few things day 1 on mine to make it easier, well not easy for the sake of it but fair..

1) flipper alignment, I don't ' mind the gap ' at all but they were too low, by design yes but still too low. Really hard to catch/cradle a ball so they got aligned with the inlanes guides where they should be :)

2) adjust the spring tension on the scolari brothers drop targets so they drop not just brick your ball SDTM

3) bend the 3 standup targets near the left ramp forward slightly to stop them airballing.

4) raise the outlane guide rails slightly to stop the ball jumping over.

After those few tweaks the machine plays very nicely. Should you have to do them? Obviously not but if you want to enjoy the game...

I don't even notice the flipper gap. The right ramp is very hard to hit, I swear its narrower than the ball :D but its nice when you do actually hit it on purpose.

Overall I am very happy I bought it. This is 1 Ghostbusters that isn't for sale, well not this week anyway ;) :rofl:. Hey where did the rolling smiley face go?

I tweaked a few things day 1 on mine to make it easier, well not easy for the sake of it but fair..

1) flipper alignment, I don't ' mind the gap ' at all but they were too low, by design yes but still too low. Really hard to catch/cradle a ball so they got aligned with the inlanes guides where they should be :)

2) adjust the spring tension on the scolari brothers drop targets so they drop not just brick your ball SDTM

3) bend the 3 standup targets near the left ramp forward slightly to stop them airballing.

4) raise the outlane guide rails slightly to stop the ball jumping over.

After those few tweaks the machine plays very nicely. Should you have to do them? Obviously not but if you want to enjoy the game...

I don't even notice the flipper gap. The right ramp is very hard to hit, I swear its narrower than the ball :D but its nice when you do actually hit it on purpose.

Overall I am very happy I bought it. This is 1 Ghostbusters that isn't for sale, well not this week anyway ;) :rofl:. Hey where did the rolling smiley face go?

Sheesh have you not sold this yet

I find the gap between the flippers on GB "challenging" - just like having lightning flippers on a game like Fish Tales or BSD. :rolleyes:

I enjoy playing the GB in Tilt Birmingham and in Chief in Chiswick, but I couldn't get on with the one in an arcade in Great Yarmouth, mainly because you cannot nudge that machine as it sits on a ledge without the front legs fitted! The Scolari targets also don't drop when hit on the game in Great Yarmouth, usually sending the ball rocketing SDTM :mad:

There are often unfair drains on unaltered GB machines, with the ball hopping over the outlane guides into the outlanes. As @kevlar said, a lot of owners on Pinside have lifted the guides slightly to stop this happening.

Not after buying one at the moment, but I'm sure I'll get a GB for my collection sometime in the future. :thumbs:

I thought I would be the first to sell my gb as I tend to get bored quickly, I'm still loving my gb don't find it that hard to be honest and I'm an awful player but I have got everythink set to easy and put a little extra rubber on the outlanes, so that could be why, artwork and sounds are amazing!

Just played a Ghostbusters for the first time. Beautiful game with an excellent light show.
Great layout with lots to shoot.
Right ramp on the Pro is a joke. Shot it a dozen times and it just jumped up the ramp and stalled.
Didn't find the outlanes too brutal. Certainly no worse than Walking Dead.
Flipper gap is ludicrous. So much so that it effects the way you play the game. Regular end of flipper saves are not possible due to the gap. There is too much space for one flipper to flick the ball onto the second flipper to save the ball.

Could have been an outstanding game and it so very nearly is but it looks to me like they rushed it out and didn't play test it that much.

Anyhoo. Got High Score 1 on my second game.

image.jpeg

Nice score for 2nd game for sure. I agree about the right ramp, its barely wider than the ball, a 1 in 10 attempts shot for me. The flipper gap doesn't bother me at all though, admittedly I have realigned the flippers with the outlane rails so in the rested position the gap isn't as bad as the default droopy setup.

Also, i don't agree that they 'rushed it out of the door' sorry. The code was far more completed on v0.9 than any other NIB game i've ever owned by a factor of 10

Thats a pretty good score for one of your first goes, it took me a few days to learn how to play the machine. There is a really useful video on youtube of an 8 billion game that helped me which shot returns it was possible to bounce over and get control again from.

I would suggest there is an issue with the right ramp on the one you played as while it is incredibly tight the ball does fly round to the top of the ramp on mine. I am looking forward to a further code update, having said that it is by far in a way the most complete stern code on a recently launched game I have ever come across, just a shame so much is too hard for the casual player to get too due to the difficulty.

Also, i don't agree that they 'rushed it out of the door' sorry. The code was far more completed on v0.9 than any other NIB game i've ever owned by a factor of 10
I meant rushed it out as in play testing, not code. I've seen the issues people have been having with air balls on it.

Another thing I noticed was the Scolari Brothers targets not dropping when hit plum in the middle.

Not had any issues on mine. Sure the shot is tight, but who wants everything thing the same.
Hitting it wasn't a problem (it's actually a nice shot to hit). It just wouldn't go around the ramp after I'd hit it, it just drained down to the right flipper.

Nice score for 2nd game for sure. I agree about the right ramp, its barely wider than the ball, a 1 in 10 attempts shot for me. The flipper gap doesn't bother me at all though, admittedly I have realigned the flippers with the outlane rails so in the rested position the gap isn't as bad as the default droopy setup.
It's such a shame Kev because it is almost an outstanding game. With a regular flipper gap and a bit of refinement it would have been a top 10 game.

It's such a shame Kev because it is almost an outstanding game. With a regular flipper gap and a bit of refinement it would have been a top 10 game.

I bet with a bit more time on one in a home environment you would get the hang of the flipper set up. At first, it is very noticable as being different but you soon learn how to play the game and I appreciate the variety it offers.

I bet with a bit more time on one in a home environment you would get the hang of the flipper set up. At first, it is very noticable as being different but you soon learn how to play the game and I appreciate the variety it offers.
It would infuriate me. I've played games with non-standard gaps and adjusted my play accordingly but this one was not right. When I can't save a ball that hits the tip of one of the flippers I'm going to lose interest, fast. I put £2 in it, got the high score and a couple of replays but can't see me going back for more.

I think it IS an incredible game, I try to tear myself away from it but keep going back to it, my other pins aren't talking to it atm :). The thing with the right ramp is its so tight, and so steep only a perfectly hit ball will make it all the way up to the switches, a rattled shot has zero chance. I agree not all pins have to be the same, and it is really rewarding when you do hit it ( on purpose :D ) but I still think its too narrow. The shot next to it is the easiest shot on the playfield so it wouldn't have hurt to steal a few millimeters from that shot and widen the right ramp slightly. @myPinballs, I would be interested to know your estimated success rate at getting up that ramp at will?

Criticisms aside its still my favorite pin by a good margin.

I think it IS an incredible game, I try to tear myself away from it but keep going back to it, my other pins aren't talking to it atm :). The thing with the right ramp is its so tight, and so steep only a perfectly hit ball will make it all the way up to the switches, a rattled shot has zero chance. I agree not all pins have to be the same, and it is really rewarding when you do hit it ( on purpose :D ) but I still think its too narrow. The shot next to it is the easiest shot on the playfield so it wouldn't have hurt to steal a few millimeters from that shot and widen the right ramp slightly. @myPinballs, I would be interested to know your estimated success rate at getting up that ramp at will?

Criticisms aside its still my favorite pin by a good margin.

I'm probably at around 4 out of 10 on the right ramp, but i'm not a world class player or anything!. I find that aiming a little to the side helps as the ball carries up. I agree its one of my fav games and i really enjoy a blast on it. I got bored of all the old williams games and most of the sterns to. This game along with TWD got my interest in playing back. I don't want a game that is easy to complete (see TOTAN - lasted in my games room 1 week). I want a challenge for the home environment, but as we all know different games for different folks and thats what's great about pinball. theres plenty of choice.

I'd be interested to know what you guys consider to be an average, a good and a great score on it (factory set up) ?

I'd say average maybe 100m, good 300m and great 800m plus

I would say my average is 250-300m. Good games tend to be 500 to 700m. I've only broken 1B a few times though. 3 balls default settings ( which means potential for quite a few extra balls sometimes ).

My highscores are all a billion plus but not managed to break 2 billion yet.

The Stay Puft mode, do you know how to put multipliers on the shots when it says choose the form of the destructor? I know shooting the gozer target puts a x 2 on the left ramp.

I haven't got to Stay Puft yet :sad::oops:o_O

Ah man you're missing out! Cool mode and potential for big points. I've only managed to complete it twice and then both times i've f*cked up the easy left ramp shot to start the 4 ball we came we saw we kicked its ass...the machine nearly didnt survive the hell i unleashed on it.

Ah man you're missing out! Cool mode and potential for big points. I've only managed to complete it twice and then both times i've f*cked up the easy left ramp shot to start the 4 ball we came we saw we kicked its ass...the machine nearly didnt survive the hell i unleashed on it.
I've been trying :rofl:. I usually get to Gozer but that's where my games end lol. I've played we came we saw via the other 2 ladders a few times but it kicked my ass on all occasions.

Back
Top Bottom