What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spooky - Rick and Morty Pinball

Ive done some more testing - if I press and hold the flipper - it has strong power to flip, then the EOS closes and it goes onto hold. It's quite firm on max power, but not enough to stop a strong fast ball knocking it down. if I bring it down by hand, until the EOS opens, I was expecting it to re-fire the full power, but it doesn't appear to be doing that.

This from a Pinside member yesterday....
Unknown
8y80,5504,170138

Very happy to say I tested some beta flipper code epthegeek made available last night, and the differences were immediately noticeable.
Trying to trap a ball on the left, had the slam ring fire it right into the upheld flipper and it didn't budge. Scoop shots rarely moved the right flipper, and when a particularly strong eject did push the tip down a bit, it immediately recovered. Everything feels a bit more snappy.
I think they're still working out an issue or two, but very promising so far! Note that testing was with all default settings.”

For whatever reason I don’t have a problem with the flippers and other than a nut missing (in bottom
of the cabinet) from the pop bumper mechs it plays great. The rails already had the screws removed
to give a bit more of a curve, but I will alter them slightly to hide one end which is poking out past
the rubber post. The fan noise is not as bad as I was led to believe but have the silent fan and will
replace. The worst noise is the topper motor.. ok in the game but awful in attract mode.. yep, turned
it off!

Regards

Ive done some more testing - if I press and hold the flipper - it has strong power to flip, then the EOS closes and it goes onto hold. It's quite firm on max power, but not enough to stop a strong fast ball knocking it down. if I bring it down by hand, until the EOS opens, I was expecting it to re-fire the full power, but it doesn't appear to be doing that.
For the purpose of testing knockdowns stick with flinging a ball at it, I'll just quote Eric... "Note - if you're testing knockdown with your finger, it's not going to recover. Your hand is in the way longer than the pulse happens. You can do this on any game. When a ball bounces off a flipper to knock it down, no matter how strong, it's very temporary. If you want to test knockdown, you should fling balls at the flipper by hand, instead of actually using your hand."

Makes sense, I've seen other machines flippers flap about when you push them down with your hand to break the flipper hold.

point taken, but i would have thought i’d feel the refire pulse but it’s not detectable so i think it’s too little

I’ve gave up until they tweak the code as it doing my tits in too!
I’m just glad it’s not just me as I felt I was beginning to sound too negative towards Spooky but justified by sounds of it now.

Meanwhile these came today a job lot of Funko Mystery Minis and to complete my set I had to open around 60 boxes out of my 180!
Yes I know! I’ve lost the plot lol.
But like I’ve said many times this is a killer theme and possibly the best series ever made so it had to be done.
I will be making a few added mods for my pin using them over the next few weeks.

Before
4B38C279-6873-454B-8B14-800D197E8298.jpeg

During - that’s a lot of RnM’s
CE2A393A-C7C5-407B-8CB3-E7157D7A9AAC.jpeg

Aftermath
47E52994-4FFA-4048-98F8-F522FD36860A.jpeg

Result 1 full set from Rare (ghost front) to common (poopy back)

F582362A-8272-4AA6-A58B-DD799D1ECD90.jpeg

I’ve gave up until they tweak the code as it doing my tits in too!
I’m just glad it’s not just me as I felt I was beginning to sound too negative towards Spooky but justified by sounds of it now.

Meanwhile these came today a job lot of Funko Mystery Minis and to complete my set I had to open around 60 boxes out of my 180!
Yes I know! I’ve lost the plot lol.
But like I’ve said many times this is a killer theme and possibly the best series ever made so it had to be done.
I will be making a few added mods for my pin using them over the next few weeks.

Before
View attachment 134471

During - that’s a lot of RnM’s
View attachment 134468

Aftermath
View attachment 134469

Result 1 full set from Rare (ghost front) to common (poopy back)

View attachment 134470
That pic with all the Rick and Morty’s makes it look like some kind of replicator reality is happening. ‘Oh jeeeeeez..’ 😂

I have all series 1 and a few of the later seasons.
The rest I’m gonna try grab here and there on eBay and the likes.
TBH I’m trying to get the ones from the modes mainly so need the likes of Scary Terry.

For those interested, some tech info and some thoughts .

The default flipper settings for PWM flippers on proc based games has always been 30ms power pulse with 2ms on and 18ms off hold pwm pulse. This was set years back when i think gerry was testing things on lotr. I want to say 2010 ish. I dont think much changed for drive settings on this and i used these settings on indy for years and years without much issue.

But that was on a 70v coil system created from a linear process (transformer and rectifiers), so when you move to a 48v switched mode supply (using a cap filter board ) things have to change. I guess this is what the problem is, but is only really now coming to the front as tna had no ramps to hi light flipper fade as easily. I.e you make the flipper pulse settings stronger to stop flipper drop on rebounds and account for the lower overall voltage, but that creates more heat and fade over time. I also dont think switched mode power supplies work as nicely as their older linear counterparts in this environment and there are differences in some supplies from meanwell to. Just my musings..

“..and there are differences in some supplies from Meanwell too ..”

Would this be why some have a worse problem than others? ..and wouldn’t the prototype
R+M’s have been played to death over many hours and this potential problem shown itself?

Regards

Doesn't ACNC have the same flipper setup though Jim?
I guess so, now that is an interesting point, hmmmm. Maybe, the real issue here is flipper fade and that is what is trying to be addressed. Someone with an acnc should play it for 2-3 hours straight and see whether the flippers burn up and fade?

Possibly, and this is just thinking out loud, when a title isnt as popular, you dont get the same feedback on gotcha issues lurking...

mine ain’t flipper fade. it’s flipper knockdown. as soon as it’s hit really hard by the ball it falls down and can’t fire up again. have to release and repress flipper to get it up.

mine ain’t flipper fade. it’s flipper knockdown. as soon as it’s hit really hard by the ball it falls down and can’t fire up again. have to release and repress flipper to get it up.
I'm sure there's no need to ask you this Al but is the EOS registering in switch test?

I was suggesting that perhaps flipper fade was a concern for them, when you play for multiple hours and so alterations were made to compensate and that is what has lead to this situation of knockdown issues. because if you lower the strengths then you lower the ability for it to recover in a knockdown situation aswell.

Anyway it was just a thought following in from my earlier technical musings..

Last edited:
Played the game for about an hour today and noticed it’s not only from the kick out that knocks the flippers back but a clear horseshoe shot does too and I’ve even had the left fail as it comes out of the portal.
I eventually gave up and went back to modding mine a little more with oversize meeseeks and horseshoe protectors.
Also added Rick, Morty and Meeseeks figures to mine that add a little something which the table needs IMO.

D0B48581-B973-482F-AB30-670ADF510BFF.jpeg

6D33945C-8684-4743-9DFE-D28BC4F55F7C.jpeg

6F6531E8-69F5-4CF4-BF5C-65AE71352F29.jpeg

Played the game for about an hour today and noticed it’s not only from the kick out that knocks the flippers back but a clear horseshoe shot does too and I’ve even had the left fail as it comes out of the portal.
I eventually gave up and went back to modding mine a little more with oversize meeseeks and horseshoe protectors.
Also added Rick, Morty and Meeseeks figures to mine that add a little something which the table needs IMO.

View attachment 134543

View attachment 134544

View attachment 134545

Those wee guys look great col! [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, hopefully it will go some way to fixing your problems.
If you’ve altered your flipper strengths etc you need to put them back to the default settings.

Altered the upper flipper rail yesterday and it made a big difference, now hitting the spinner
with ease.

regards,

View attachment 134543

View attachment 134544

View attachment 134545
They really don't look out of place Col nice job 👍

In pic 1 is that post meant to look like what I think it is?

A nice custom job on those figures by @RudeDogg1 would be killa

They really don't look out of place Col nice job 👍

In pic 1 is that post meant to look like what I think it is?

A nice custom job on those figures by @RudeDogg1 would be killa
Kinda they trees from season 1 on one of the planets which have kinda testicles and spout seeds from the top.

Seriously if you haven’t seen the show watch the first half doz episodes of season 1 and you will be hooked.
Adult humour at its best but weird to some and an acquired taste.

23F78E3B-2B31-49ED-8AB5-206A8ADB09E8.jpeg

I'll try the new code and see what happens - will report back.
Will be interesting to see what the consensus is and what happens after 2 hours straight play. At least the update was pretty quick to be released.

:excitedYES YES and YES Mother ****er this game is Bitchin! :excited

new code and adjustment of EOS = Zero Flipper Knockdowns! ooooooooooie.

Caveat, for me anyways :p

I played for around 1hr and didnt seem to notice any fade but I may not be the best to judge that as ive never experianced fade on any of my pins. However I could still make left ramp which is usually a stretch for 2 reasons as its not an easy shot being tight plus its kinda steep and long. I did notice when I hit a super clean horseshoe shot it ever so slightly went for a knockback but came back instantly only moving maybe a couple of mm and didnt affect the ball control.
The horseshoe catapults the ball back at you much faster than the kickout so a little added ooomph for testing I guess.

So thats 1 down for me now just gotta sort the following:

Trough kickout fails which fails to load ball in shooter lane about 1 in 4

Shooter lane Wireform rejects at the end sending the ball back to auto plunge. If that happens twice in a row it sometimes decides to launch the ball in turbo mode which in turn hits the hoop at the end of the wireform and it flies over the top whacks off the glass and leaves a wet patch in my undercrackers!

Dial into some of the shots and get more combos going which are uber rewarding and get the adrenaline flowing. Who knows I may even improve on my left garage shot and hit more than my average of about 1 in 10ish

Loving the game regardless of the above problems Spooky has hit a home run for me in theme value.

Got to say when I did the Heighway cr@p I wanted to use a torridal transformer, rectifier and caps for the coils, and use a switched mode for all the lighting and computer power.

Do not really like the feel of stern flippers as much as JJP and old Bally/Williams era.

Back
Top Bottom