What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete LOTR "One Ring Edition" translated as "lets waste money and don't tell the wife edition" fitting lots of parts, mods, rubbers, and cleaning

Yes, they are great, almost a reason to move to the US ;-). Ordered quite a few bits of him, but polishing up ball through etc which comes out reasonably well. All screws which were in the side wall are corroded, worst thing though is the back panel of the back box which is completely swollen up - need to think about getting another one (or leave it as I rarely look ar my pin from the rear. Then again bought radcals, once they are on I‘ll kick myself if I have to reorder them for the backbox if I ever replace. Decisions, decisions…
Mine is from Germany originally, seaside could be a reason, maybe some waves hitting it :). Also, some idiot decided that greasing the solenoids was a good idea. Terrible mess…
Sounds it ,hope the price reflected this 😉

If your fully restoring it try and get a backbox, it will always annoy you otherwise 😃

Are you keeping the skills posts activated?

I've disabled mine and just ordered axe side rails to hide the second buttons.
Yes, I use them occasionally, good for a long home game and the kids use them. Personally I have never seen the point of covering them up, you can't remove the holes and posts from the playfield and you can just disable them if it's an issue. There always present on a certain time period of sterns that where officially meant for the UK market.

You have to cover them up if you want to stop more sweaty finger sideart melting off unfortunately.

That's why I'm doing it primarily.

You have to cover them up if you want to stop more sweaty finger sideart melting off unfortunately.

That's why I'm doing it primarily.
:)

I think @collywobbles can make some plastic guards, I was looking to get some however I had to bang the gold buttons in and I doubt I would get them out without breaking them.

You've primed me to finish mine, I have a pin2dmd and the side rails to go on.

Just sent colywobbles a PM for his plastic protectors and I need to touch in some of the art with Sharpies.

Just sent colywobbles a PM for his plastic protectors and I need to touch in some of the art with Sharpies.
Great, it's a nice looking machine and I actually enjoy it.

Get one of these from colywobbles if you haven't already, makes a boring but of clear plastic great
PXL_20211227_190046561.jpg

Great, it's a nice looking machine and I actually enjoy it.

Get one of these from colywobbles if you haven't already, makes a boring but of clear plastic great
View attachment 155855
I've never worked out the point of that part - unless it's maybe to allow you to stand some figures on for a different arrangement. Mine's not even on the machine. May tap Col up for one of these when he's back on his feet.

I've never worked out the point of that part - unless it's maybe to allow you to stand some figures on for a different arrangement. Mine's not even on the machine. May tap Col up for one of these when he's back on his feet.
I think it's for balls bouncing from the upkicker

It's to stop the balls from jumping off the wire guide when they're travelling too fast. Stargate has one, you find these things out when they're missing...

God damn and I thought I spent a lot restoring the Star Trek Premium I had!

You've really been through the ringer on this one!

From looking at a Bram Stoker restore on here, your probably better using acrylic paint rather than a Sharpie. Mplayfield did an amazing job on a minor scratch down the side of my old STTNG, you could not tell it was there.

Yes I've ended up spending a lot, I personally think with the older machines, unless they have lived in a home, you kinda get sucked in, if your doing it. I could see many of the coils and parts where original based on the colour of the posts and soldier. The soilder was factory done. The couple that have not been replaced relate to the tower upkicker, which I left alone.

Having played Star Trek, it's deceptively simple, I'm guessing this might have caught you out when replacing bits. With mine it looked fine, however when I dug into it you could see salt damage all over the place, this is all now gone 😉. I also wanted as NITB internally/playfield as I could get. The cab well that's a different story and when there silkscreened printed almost impossible to find an older one without some sort of marks, unless someone restored it with new vynal. I've only seen one set for this machine and I def don't have the workshop or knowledge to even attempt fitting and there's not a huge amount of point. It's an area you rarely look at, one side of mine is against a wall and that's the bad side 🤭😏

I suppose the only real pain points with this where the t-nut posts jamming to the point where they were impossible to remove without cutting out and the diode issue caused by tiredness and my own stupidity. 😂🤭😁

I'ts not worth sending back as the shipping will hammer me.

I'm also thinking if a balrog is needed this wont be easy probably impossible to get and very difficult to fabricate. However a basic metal bracket I'm guessing some one could 3d scan and adjust the holes pretty easily wihtout it being stupidly expensive.
Not sure if you fixed the bracket problem. But isn’t it possible to drill the hole to match it?
I can easy get a 3d printed bracket fabricated if you give me some dimensions.
nice build log by the way. Machine will look mint!

Not sure if you fixed the bracket problem. But isn’t it possible to drill the hole to match it?
I can easy get a 3d printed bracket fabricated if you give me some dimensions.
nice build log by the way. Machine will look mint!
Hi,
Nope didn't fix the bracket problem, except for re-installing the orginal Balrog, which actually turned out fine, although would prefer to replace with a brand new one :)
I did keep the new balrog.

Regarding the bracket, theres a couple of things;
1) its impossible to drill new holes, this is becuase its a couple of mil, maybe 1/2 centimeter out, the two side holes are actually screw mounts for Balrog so would have to be precise. The bracket fits into the back and Balgog is secured by a screw either side. In the back of the plate its secure by an additional two screws.
2) I wouldn't be able to give the dimenisions, its very precise and I probabably wold'nt get it spot on :) This is due to the exisiting bracket not fitting quite right in the space. It would be much easier to fabricate a new bracket based upon the dimensions of the balrog and then do the holes afterwoods (I would guess) not sure how it works :)

Perhaps it might be possible to send you the new balrog and the original salt coroded bracket and you could maybe fabricate it correctly? I couldn't do it for a month or two my pinball funds are empty :)

Thanks, at the end I will sumarise any gotchas for people looking to restore theirs and places to source the stuff. Although I might have nabbed the last of some of the parts :)

Thanks, It's looking great, when I turned it on it popped and had that new look feel, pitty I cocked up one of the diodes, the boards currently in for repair with Pinball Heaven. its only let down is the side art on one side, but to be honest I'm not bothered. I never look at it :)

I still have several mods to fit, but they aren't going near the machine unitl its working and bedded in for a month. I don't want to complicate potential troubleshooting issues with mods in the mix.

Perhaps it might be possible to send you the new balrog and the original salt coroded bracket and you could maybe fabricate it correctly? I couldn't do it for a month or two my pinball funds are empty :)

That’s one of the ways I work with my customers when it’s easy to post and needs accurate measurements. Sounds like a plan. Give me a shout in the future and I’ll be glad to help. I might even be able to reproduce it fully (or custom it) for future mods.

Just a brief example of some works I’ve done in the past. (None LOTR but you got the idea…)

Attachments

• 0CE50563-ECC4-4763-9B31-7A1A166623B3.jpeg
    0CE50563-ECC4-4763-9B31-7A1A166623B3.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 14
  • B6AB8358-49A8-4FE1-87F8-3467BFA36A6C.jpeg
    B6AB8358-49A8-4FE1-87F8-3467BFA36A6C.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 14
  • 45BE8B17-78FD-4851-A445-1FC03CB7EE8A.jpeg
    45BE8B17-78FD-4851-A445-1FC03CB7EE8A.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 75386A32-290C-495F-A98E-5016FB004096.jpeg
    75386A32-290C-495F-A98E-5016FB004096.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 4E1D4AF1-311F-4DD6-BA51-C3A92161FC77.jpeg
    4E1D4AF1-311F-4DD6-BA51-C3A92161FC77.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 4734E3D7-50D2-4322-BA10-403A2ED2FEA2.jpeg
    4734E3D7-50D2-4322-BA10-403A2ED2FEA2.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 14
  • EDB47C40-88FF-4C79-ACB1-689A2ECE8050.jpeg
    EDB47C40-88FF-4C79-ACB1-689A2ECE8050.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 13
  • C6FC0D8C-C1A5-49E4-8897-A3BF051BA005.jpeg
    C6FC0D8C-C1A5-49E4-8897-A3BF051BA005.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 14
That’s one of the ways I work with my customers when it’s easy to post and needs accurate measurements. Sounds like a plan. Give me a shout in the future and I’ll be glad to help. I might even be able to reproduce it fully (or custom it) for future mods.

Just a brief example of some works I’ve done in the past. (None LOTR but you got the idea…)
Thanks will drop you a message in the future

Today was a good news and a really bad news day...

First the good, had a box waiting for me at home

PXL_20220118_183102287.jpg

What is it?

So now the bad news,. It appears the post office special delivery might have lost the power driver board I shipped for repair before Christmas 😭😭😭

Its going to take them 30 days to check or before they start to check so at best I might get it back in a month which it will still need repaired so won't see the machine working for another couple of months, if it turns up at all 😭😭😭

Any one have a use for a stern lockdown bar, very minor surface scratches, a tournament button hole. It only fits a limited amount of sterns so quite tricky to get. Without importing it.

Only fits
Playboy
Rollercoaster Tycoon
The Simpsons Pinball Party (all production runs except for the final one)
Terminator 3
Lord of the Rings (does not fit LOTR LE/Gold machines)
Ripley's Believe It or Not
Elvis
Elvis Gold
The Sopranos (most, but not all machines)
Austin Powers
Stern reference #500-5757-02-00.

Pics PXL_20220118_183349130.jpg

PXL_20220118_183354129.jpg

PXL_20220118_183358260.jpg

Not sure about price a new one is 150 dollars including shipping but excluding import fees and vat

Send me a PM of interested and a price.

Towards the end of the build I will be getting rid of alot of the replacement parts but it take me ages to take pics and work out what I want to keep. For example the sword lock has nothing wrong with it, is it a keep as difficult to get or depart😏

So now the bad news,. It appears the post office special delivery might have lost the power driver board I shipped for repair before Christmas 😭😭😭
Mate, that’s frustrating as hell. Have you got a plan b if it can’t be located? And that was with Royal Mail?

Mate, that’s frustrating as hell. Have you got a plan b if it can’t be located? And that was with Royal Mail?
Hi, yes very much so, the issue was it wasn't picked up in time for the post office after the delivery failed, even though I rebooked the delivery a couple of days before the 16 days, they didn't actually bother and just sent it to the returns depot, but they don't actually know where it's gone. Special delivery, have been offered a replacement if it doesn't show up, but God knows how much it wil be. It was insured but I'm looking at months before it's sorted 😭

Hi, yes very much so, the issue was it wasn't picked up in time for the post office after the delivery failed, even though I rebooked the delivery a couple of days before the 16 days, they didn't actually bother and just sent it to the returns depot, but they don't actually know where it's gone. Special delivery, have been offered a replacement if it doesn't show up, but God knows how much it wil be. It was insured but I'm looking at months before it's sorted 😭
Sorry to hear about your board Chris ,I hope it shows up . 🤞 🤞 🤞 🤞 🤞

Back
Top Bottom