What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete LOTR "One Ring Edition" translated as "lets waste money and don't tell the wife edition" fitting lots of parts, mods, rubbers, and cleaning

HELP PLEASE

How do you get the the wires out of these connectors? I know have the tool to put them back in, does it remove them as well?

PXL_20211211_122343272.jpg

Thanks to mplayfield for pointing me in the right direction.

As weight watchers advert says "success"

PXL_20211211_130617630.jpg

Used a flat ended screw driver to release the little clip tab and the small hook under the wire to pull it out.

Looking great and LOTR really is a beautiful pin. It Looks like you have some of my protectors fitted already so just to let you know I actually done my entire LOTR with them if anything else takes your fancy.
I also have the shire protector and Aeowen protector along with my V3 Coindoor plaque with elvish writing (an excerpt from the book not just jibberish) oh and a Shooter plate to match the aforementioned pin door plaque.

I also have a full NOS of plastics, the sting sword mod and path of the dead mod. This is Just in case you really want to push the boat out with the missus on board I guess.

Not to derail the thread but I will be clearing out my spares next year as I want to try push my mods a little more out to the mainstream buyers.
These will go on the marketplace/pinfo along with lots more I’ve accumulated over the years so a quick heads up.
Just pm if anything of use.

Attachments

• 1974BA4A-683C-40EE-A9E6-2D1CBA57473B.jpeg
    1974BA4A-683C-40EE-A9E6-2D1CBA57473B.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 76095796-E839-45C0-ACC9-37FFE92C6FD0.jpeg
    76095796-E839-45C0-ACC9-37FFE92C6FD0.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 20
  • 24E7BCC4-B3EB-4388-B320-B770C6AC4751.jpeg
    24E7BCC4-B3EB-4388-B320-B770C6AC4751.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 3967970D-76B2-469E-BEA8-829C790E3A62.jpeg
    3967970D-76B2-469E-BEA8-829C790E3A62.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 20
Looking great and LOTR really is a beautiful pin. It Looks like you have some of my protectors fitted already so just to let you know I actually done my entire LOTR with them if anything else takes your fancy.
I also have the shire protector and Aeowen protector along with my V3 Coindoor plaque with elvish writing (an excerpt from the book not just jibberish) oh and a Shooter plate to match the aforementioned pin door plaque.

I also have a full NOS of plastics, the sting sword mod and path of the dead mod. This is Just in case you really want to push the boat out with the missus on board I guess.

Not to derail the thread but I will be clearing out my spares next year as I want to try push my mods a little more out to the mainstream buyers.
These will go on the marketplace/pinfo along with lots more I’ve accumulated over the years so a quick heads up.
Just pm if anything of use.
Sent you a PM thanks

Relaced the yellow flasher plastics, new silver thing, new posts, cleaned and refitted the front two things :)

What a pain, surprising complicated, Needed an EDM tool and tricky to put pack together. I thought it was a 20 min, no maybe 2 hours 20 minutes!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Plastic at the back of the ring.....

before and after

4.jpg

Gandalf back to conquer!

5.jpg

New Sword, suits you sir! :)

6.jpg

Drimmeled within an inch of its life!

Managed to get the ball tracks off pretty pleased with the results

7.jpg

Took the kids out today came back, oh no fitted the sticker upside down....

20.jpg

Pinball gods do not like me today.....

21.jpg

Trying to fit it broke it..... :(

Any one have a new one of these:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-6027-08

Target switch 1 x 1-1/2 inch rectangular white

#515-6027-08

Looked on Pinball mania and Emailed Pinball heaven, I really don't want to pay £30 shipping from the US :(

Great progress 👍. Hopefully you can source that part.
Thanks, yes easily but in America 🙁. I should have shares with fed ex, Turns out I'm missing two coils I thought I had ordered and probably there be some other thing "lol". I'm going to hold off ordering until I've fitted the last of the parts

What's stopping you using a Bally/Williams target and strip it down to suit, available in UK so big saving on postage.

What's stopping you using a Bally/Williams target and strip it down to suit, available in UK so big saving on postage.
To be honest never thought of it :)

Thanks, however I needed some other bits when I've gone through the last of it, so ordered hopefully, yes it will be my last Marco Pinball order!

Started work on the laucher

New from Pinball heaven...

2.jpg

Fitted

3.jpg

Start work on the divertor gate..

4.jpg

Lots of parts .... Fitted....5.jpg

Had huge issues with that F(****** spring !! couldn't get the sucker in the little hole :)

Also the divertor gate kept moving, had to take the whole lot off to try and work out why, lightly sanded the shaft (no that a phrase you dont say every day :) ) turned the bracket round thought Id give it a try, worked

Started work on the sword ball lock... new, new, new, that plunger WTF probably pos expensive bit (in relative terms) ordered from:

Its the only place that has new rings (again thats a phrase not said very often) and the sword plunger thing

6.jpg

Ready to be installed

7.jpg

Other thats surprisingly difficult to get is the little white plastic washer, got some from pinball life, (bought a few of them should last another 20 years :) ) its called a nylex marco pinball say its discontinued.

Started work on the pinball forums most hated part :)

UK Skill shots rebuilt, the question you might ask is why........ the kids use them and I enjoy them for a long game :) (also the white post was black and dirty :)

Before

9.jpg

After....

10.jpg

Both sides done!

Started work on the upkickers get some shiny metal on the playfield....

Before.....

11.jpg

Parts....

12.jpg

Whooops, can't fit, missing new coils, searched everywhere for them, would have bet money I ordered them, apparently not :(

On hold.....

Worked on Mr Balrog...

New bits for him....

14.jpg

Oh dear My Balrog a little salt damaged...

15.jpg

Afer disasembling, released he was worse than I thought, parts ordered (again intersting on the surface he looked good :( )

Coming together nicely, playfield almost completly re-assembled

17.jpg

18.jpg

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 4
Worked out I've put in so far 130 hours of labour :( looking forward to going back to work.

This is the problem when you don't have a garage/work space and your doing it in your open plan living room on your dining table :)

The kids and the wife want the downstairs back....

Finished now as much as I can. Still to do:

1) Flipper rebuild, still waiting on special flipper coil re-designed for lord of the rings. (strange ordered over a week ago and stuck at stanstead I've had 5 other orders since, including one from pinball life! )

Purchased from here:

Would have purchase from pinball mania but they only had one, i needed two, not much point fitting it to one :)

2) some sort of mod, makes the eye in the back box flash, bought from pinall life (only bought it becuase I needed those discontinued nylex rings and they where the only place that had it, not paying £35 shipping for $1 parts)

3) both upkickers, waiting for coils

4) Mr Balrog

5) Probably something ive forgoten

I now offically hate drop targets, they are such a pain to fit, had to get the mrs to hold one whilst I soldered under the table and I really hate the LOTR ring back box.

In order of hatred:

1) STTNG gun cannons, please never again, 4 hours to fully replace

2) STTNG Ball divertor maze under the playfield, I never want to see an opto again

3) LOTR ring backbox. Getting the panel off is such a pain, the thing falls over when trying to work on it (if your not careful) at least stern made it easy with the wireing unlike williams!

4) LOTR drop targets, and I still have one more to do. Difficult to soldier as they are in irritating places

Waiting on a box of parts to be devliered tommorow, had to order some more bits tonight, should be the last of the ordering (I hope) at this rate the machine will turn into a NITB.
I can add to this the horrible strange bracket that you have to solidier the lights from the pop number to, what an absolute pain the wires are short and it's so difficult to reach

After 40 minutes done, not as neat as I had hoped

Missing delivery finanally turned up this morning, turns out the xray rejected it as its too dense. Most be those custom coils :)

1.jpg

Started rebuilding the flippers...

Before

2.jpg

After....

3.jpg

I really hate those little springs, they took ages to get on, is there a trick to it?

Flippers fitted:

4.jpg

Fitted the new mirror bracket, ponitless part that no one sees :)

5.jpg

Glued on @Collywobbles custom "one ring" plate, the double sided tape didn't work and it fell off. Northern Irish cold for you :)

6.jpg

Put back the centre wire frame ramp and fitted the mirror and tower.

I must say its looking fantastic, new in the box look (except the ramps)

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

I have new ramp flaps and rivets but not fitting them as planing to get the ramps re-plated.

Great thread this. I bet you can't wait to play it. "To WAAAAAaaaaaaaRRRR" :excited
Thanks yes looking forward to turning it on and it going bang "lol" hopefully it will work, there been alot of changes. I'm keeping any intrusive mods of it until it's on and played a little to iron out any problems.

Rebuilt the balrog

Would you like some salt with your metal sir
PXL_20211217_190909912.jpg

Parts for balrog

PXL_20211217_191659401.jpg

New wire harness, new LED conversion light, new tracks, new springs, new switch...

Fitted.

PXL_20211217_212846215.jpg

Upkicker rebuilt, these new everything, bracket, coil, plungers etc

PXL_20211217_232421873.jpg

Looks better at the top...

PXL_20211217_232430235.jpg

Fitted first Mod...

Can you spot it 😏😃
PXL_20211218_121442568.jpg

PXL_20211218_121450247.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20211217_234858022.jpg
    PXL_20211217_234858022.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20211217_234851957.jpg
    PXL_20211217_234851957.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20211217_224650903.jpg
    PXL_20211217_224650903.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1
Still have to soldier the wires at the bottom of the playfield for the various coils, might do that this afternoon

Wired up all the coils this evening and turned the machine on....

Lights are on, sound is on....

PXL_20211219_202803905.jpg

Balrog working, moved, loaded balls, sound started.....

Flippers not working, launcher not working...

Turned it off

Went through diagnostics, all switches work, thats something, all lights work, again thats something.

Hmmm, high current coils group 1 and 2 not working.

Checked fuses, F6 blown for high current fuses.

Looked at the backbox wiring schematics...

for F*********k sake the idiot of the year award goes to me!

Especially as I warned a forum member to tripple check the diods and wiring when soldering them.

I can see the autolauncher wiring is the wrong way round to the diode :( :( :(

I thought I had tripple checked these, this is not one I did today, jsut goes to show how 140 hours of work over less than two weeks can affect your judgement :(

Back
Top Bottom