What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete LOTR "One Ring Edition" translated as "lets waste money and don't tell the wife edition" fitting lots of parts, mods, rubbers, and cleaning

Start work underneath the instruction cover (I'm sure its called something else)

Not looking too pretty

View attachment 154174

View attachment 154175

Decided to get the drimmel out for the first time, bought it for this :)

View attachment 154176

Practiced on a ball gaurd I'm replacing

Not too bad, got the ball marks off, looks a little bad bottom but that was me trying various ends and pressures

View attachment 154177

TIme for a polish, spot the polished one :)

View attachment 154178

FInished.

Fitted Ball kickback guard

Fitted Ball kickback protector

Polished the stuff

View attachment 154179

View attachment 154180

Started work on taking the sword ball lock apart.....

View attachment 154181

View attachment 154182

Cleaned the area and changed U nuts, screws, rubbers

Stuck with one bot I cant get out as previously asked for help with :)

Looking not to bad

View attachment 154183

Only took 16 hours labour *lol*

Realised I needed some other parts, bought a load more from MArco pinball and fitted teh new metal plate for the ball lock.

Order a small hacksaw from B&Q I think this mightcut the bolt off.

Ordered some rubbers from Pinball bizaar was missing some small ones.
shes looking good ,nice one Chris.You could try some penetrating oil and leave it for 12 hrs before having another go ,should free it up enough.Failing that its head off the bolt underneath and tease out the whole lot.You sure like to get stuck in.

A worthy project for sure. Hope you have a lot of fun with it.

If you havent heard of one before, using a vibratory tumbler or rock polishing tumbler will be very efficient for all your metal polishing needs. Just bang a load of your metal bits in it, some walnut shells (or ceramic media first if very rusty) and set it off while you get on with other jobs. Great results everytime.

They are on ebay for £50 or so.
Thanks, I thought of getting one, the issue is I don't have a workshop or garage, I'm doing it in the living room and I have small kids around 🤭

shes looking good ,nice one Chris.You could try some penetrating oil and leave it for 12 hrs before having another go ,should free it up enough.Failing that its head off the bolt underneath and tease out the whole lot.You sure like to get stuck in.
Thanks, small hand hacksaw from b and q has worked, no damage
Had a long thin end, pretty useful
PXL_20211203_155448932.jpg

That's magic as Paul Daniels said...

PXL_20211203_155437056.jpg

Gone,. I was lucky,

Two things I had enough space, it had unscrewed a bit but not enough for bolt cutters s, have to take these back to b and q, there was a washer so the blade didn't ruin the playfield.

Word of advice to all when unscrewing t nuts make sure your pushing it against table to keep it in whilst unscrewing

I can lend you a tumbler if you want to try it.. just give me a shout and ill drop it off
Thanks, not sure I need it, the only parts that it would be useful for are pretty big. I've bought a fair load of new screws

Started work on the right side rail and right ball gatePXL_20211203_193409520.jpg

PXL_20211203_193418939.jpg

Bought a new ball gate and polished the rails

PXL_20211203_211912960.jpg

Looking polished
PXL_20211203_224358904.jpg

Fitted backPXL_20211203_224352272.jpg

Bought some decals for the drop targetsPXL_20211203_225310835.jpg

Fitted to brand new drop targetsPXL_20211203_224341004.jpg
Waiting on some parts due to be delivered Monday, the stupid screw I cut off meant I can't reassemble without it 🤪

Attachments

• PXL_20211203_211855398.jpg
    PXL_20211203_211855398.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 3
I can lend you a tumbler if you want to try it.. just give me a shout and ill drop it off
Actually that top middle ball gate could do with a go, can I get back to you when I get near the part. 🙂

Thanks, I thought of getting one, the issue is I don't have a workshop or garage, I'm doing it in the living room and I have small kids around 🤭
Could always tell them its a modified demon trap and its trying to get out so it can suck the water out of their little eyes. That should have them stay well clear of it everytime you turn it on. 🤣

Could always tell them its a modified demon trap and its trying to get out so it can suck the water out of their little eyes. That should have them stay well clear of it everytime you turn it on. 🤣
Well there a part I can't get so I might borrow the one offered to me :)

This weekend I have done:

Started replacing the drop targets.

sword Target - before

1.jpg

After, fitted drop target custom myler from pinball life

2.jpg

Ring Drop target - before

3.jpg

After

4.jpg

Bought something called a light puck for the Ring lights from pinball life £50 for a piece of plastic what the ***!

6.jpg

Took off the board and gave underneath a clean

5.jpg

Instructions :)

6.jpg

Fitted, stops the ring lights blending

7.jpg

Eye drop targer - before - pretty bent!

1.jpg

After....

2.jpg

Tackled the Ring back box, what a hassle to get off, the mrs had to help

3.jpg

4.jpg

Oh dear behind it !

5.jpg

Removed the ball trough

6.5.jpg

and ring magnet assembly

7.jpg

New ring parts, total rebuild

8.jpg

Side by side, you can see the difference with the plate

9.jpg

and ring

10.jpg

Completly re-assembled

11.jpg

Looking clean

12.jpg

and re-assembled

13.jpg

I have NOS full sticker set but with my American friend, will fit at some point

Back..

14.jpg

Much better although no one will see it, alot of work for a hidden part!

Reactions: Jib
I now offically hate drop targets, they are such a pain to fit, had to get the mrs to hold one whilst I soldered under the table and I really hate the LOTR ring back box.

In order of hatred:

1) STTNG gun cannons, please never again, 4 hours to fully replace

2) STTNG Ball divertor maze under the playfield, I never want to see an opto again

3) LOTR ring backbox. Getting the panel off is such a pain, the thing falls over when trying to work on it (if your not careful) at least stern made it easy with the wireing unlike williams!

4) LOTR drop targets, and I still have one more to do. Difficult to soldier as they are in irritating places

Waiting on a box of parts to be devliered tommorow, had to order some more bits tonight, should be the last of the ordering (I hope) at this rate the machine will turn into a NITB.

Started on the path of the dead playfield, striped it ready for some new bits.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Started taking some metal off and bits and bobs

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Shiny new metal

6.jpg

Fantastic mate! Keep up the good work.

I saw that 'lighy bleed' puck thing. Is it worth getting?

For F***** S**** scap my previous most hated thing, it is T nuts, another on totally locked and bl***dy under the balrog motor.

I had to dismatle Balrog, I thought this would be a nightmare but it turns out stern actually thinks about repairs and puts handly molex connectors on things. Actually a lot easier than I thought.

1.jpg

I had to cut the post out, more shopping to do, decided to overhall balrog, new new new.... next delivery

Shinny metal.....

2.jpg

beginning to come back together, slowly, getting stuck soon as wating on parts.

3.jpg

more shiny metal

4.jpg

Yet more shiny metal, fitted a new blue pad thing

5.jpg

Fitted the shire playfield insert from pinball life and a cliffy protector

6.jpg

Also fitted some custom post fix for the centre ramp, I can see a difference, seems much stronger, doesn't have a screw or washer on the end, which was geting magnitised and sicking the diverter gate.

PXL_20211207_230835924.jpg

Fitted the shire drop target today

1.jpg

Started work on the pop bumpers, dismantle and rebuild with new parts. Little tricky to uninstall the first time. Took me a while to work out how to disamble. First time with a pop bumber, poped my pop bumper cherry :)

before

2.jpg

working out how to do it:

3.jpg

New bumper, to match the yellow posts (going for a gold theme)

9.jpg

For f**ks s**ke the pinball god hate me, one of the new pop bumpers metal frames post snapped when when I srewed it in.

Emergency order from pinball mania

hopefully they it will arrive quickly

Snapped!

8.jpg

First round of fed ex covid delayed (excuss to charge priority but come 5 days late)

Various bits but got some new posts:

10.jpg

First order of rubber arrived from pinball bizaar (technically the second) but need a thrid, which should arrive tommrow :)

You might be wondering why I have kept ordering stuff this week when I should have worked out what I needed in the first place :) its a little annoying.

Basically I had some unexpected problems with screws being cut off, bent brackets and parts I didn;t know where a problem. Most of these where essential to continue, however they only cost a small amount. Rather than waste delivery / import charges (some I can only get from the US) I decided to rebuild other bits. For example Mr Balrog is now getting the VIP treatment.

Its def by the end of it be almost NITB. (from a component perspective) its costing me a lot, its now a def don't tell the wife edition! :)

Started work on the bumpers, Took off the figures

PXL_20211209_103624164.jpg
Colywobbles plastic protector s fitted

Assembled and cleaned, new plastic posts

PXL_20211209_121736668.jpg
Otherside

PXL_20211209_121743619.jpg

Started reassembling the path of the dead. New posts, wires, screws
BottomPXL_20211209_204109113.jpg

TopPXL_20211209_204125162.jpg

Assembled left wireframe

New arwin plastic my one was slightly cracked

PXL_20211209_204449326.jpg

PXL_20211209_204500378.jpg

Coming together

Fitted new red plastics, rubbers, plastic posts

PXL_20211209_222416096.jpg

Help please:

Stupid question but heat shrink tubing for wires how do you fit them, Hairdryer?

Finished for the day, only a half day!

Installed all new metal for upkicker and cliffy protector

1.jpg

Installed clear button for UK skill post, think it looks better and a keyless lock.

2.jpg

Fitted final pop bumper, thanks to Pinball Mania quick delivery

3.jpg

Fitted posts, problem one solved that I had to cut out, thanks to Phil at Pinball Heaven

4.jpg

HELP Please:

Noticed that the screws that hold the plastic and sword ramp are different lengths I stupidly didn't take lots of pics of this area whoops.

I'm guessing the longer ones are for sword, any one with a LOTR tell me which please.

There are 10 screws that are acting as post, if you could tell me for example six has a longer screw.

Pic of the area below with my finger pointing to one of the screwsPXL_20211210_221238137.jpg

Back
Top Bottom