What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete LOTR "One Ring Edition" translated as "lets waste money and don't tell the wife edition" fitting lots of parts, mods, rubbers, and cleaning

Thanks to @myPinballs for sorting the board, looks great, fantastic work.

Glad you are back up and running and UPS came through and got it to you for Friday and the weekend.

For those interested, this driver board was a Rev E one from PH that i upgraded to Rev G for LOTR.

Flipper alignment
The flippers should be pointing at the holes. So if you put a straight line through the middle of the flipper it would go through the playfield hole.
DEFlipper.png

Glad you are back up and running and UPS came through and got it to you for Friday and the weekend.

For those interested, this driver board was a Rev E one from PH that i upgraded to Rev G for LOTR.
Yep, thanks again, really great work

Flipper alignment
The flippers should be pointing at the holes. So if you put a straight line through the middle of the flipper it would go through the playfield hole.
View attachment 162577
Great, I think I actually did this, the right flippers moved so needs re-tighting. Stuck in the bedroom now still isolating from covid, now the family back ☹️. Perhaps from not playing it for a bit I've become crap "lol"

This weekend I have done:

Started replacing the drop targets.

sword Target - before

View attachment 154430

After, fitted drop target custom myler from pinball life

View attachment 154431

Ring Drop target - before

View attachment 154432

After

View attachment 154433

Bought something called a light puck for the Ring lights from pinball life £50 for a piece of plastic what the ***!

View attachment 154435

Took off the board and gave underneath a clean

View attachment 154434

Instructions :)

View attachment 154435

Fitted, stops the ring lights blending

View attachment 154436
Actually works really well, is it worth £50 nope. Can you see the rings now yep, didn't realise there lots of little lit ones

HELP PLEASE

Played the machine for about 1 hour the ring magnet has now stopped working. Fuse is fine. Never replaced this part as it was expensive in the US. Checked the connectors reseated all. Any thing else or suggestions before buying a new one?

There are two other issues, bottom pop bumper not firing. Never changed the coil on this

Bottom left flasher not working, this will be the wire not pushed in, need to get the EDM tool down.

Pretty sure these are not related to the magnet problem but best to say.

Any ideas please?

that ring magnet 🧲 can blow its power transistor. i switched off that feature where it holds the first ball in it as it kept burning out the transistor.

that ring magnet 🧲 can blow its power transistor. i switched off that feature where it holds the first ball in it as it kept burning out the transistor.
Thanks for the response

Where would it's power transistor be, not on the power driver board I hope ☹️. Ok it was set to hold the first ball however I never got that far "lol" I started the final mode which would have held the ball and then the magnet stopped working . Before I took it apart it was set to hold the ball and I did fairly regularly, perhaps this has done it over time?

try solenoid test and check it’s deffo not working.
Turns out the fuse had blown f20.

Changed this for a 4amp slow burn working again.

The diagnosistics in the test was pointing to F21 which was fine

I changed destroy ring balls from 2 to one, is this the setting you where talking about, to prevent damage

Turns out the fuse had blown f20.

Changed this for a 4amp slow burn working again.

The diagnosistics in the test was pointing to F21 which was fine

I changed destroy ring balls from 2 to one, is this the setting you where talking about, to prevent damage
I thu i that’s the one. do it dies t hold it but let’s it go but it’s still counted as the shot made

Worked on the machine last night.

Fixed the left flasher as suspected one of the wires wasn't in properly. Used the tool to push it now working.

Wasn't there a bulletin issued stating that fuse was under-spec'd in the manual? Recommended fitting a 1A higher fuse. Mine never blew it and I destroyed the ring a great many times, always in the 2-ball setting.

Wasn't there a bulletin issued stating that fuse was under-spec'd in the manual? Recommended fitting a 1A higher fuse. Mine never blew it and I destroyed the ring a great many times, always in the 2-ball setting.
Hi fubar, thanks so much, F20 keeps blowing, was a 4amp, changed to 5amp now ring magnet is working. It is specified in the manual 4amp. Been testing it.

Last edited:
New problem when I get to destroy the ring and complete the shots frodo remains lit and it's impossible to complete the mode.

I've been ending the game thinking it's the magnet, it's not it's still alive and working, no blown fuses.

Ive been scratching my head and noticed some specific test for lotr, one being the ring magnet test. Magnet working correctly, however it appears the trough switch 48 is not activated, I suspect this is the problem. It's located somewhere in the backbox. I will investigate this over the next couple of days.

Fixed the gate, not making a noise now just needed some adjustment

Been playing the machine, all working correctly except the bottom pop bumper, I suspect the diode was fried previously and or coil.

The destroy ring mode can't be completed, suspect the switch 48.

Fixed the switch problem in the ring.

Two issues, I hadn't tightened the screws holding it

The switch metal needed bending to allow the ball to activate

Been testing got the destroy ring champion everything working as it should except for the bottom pop bumper. Need to order a part.

Site donation made for the valuable technical knowledge and advice offered when restoring my LOTR. Thought it was time for another donation 🤔

At least you have a spare 🤷‍♂️👍
Yep, although this board needs to go to @myPinballs to be repaired and serviced, the grey square things not sure what the technical name for them could do with replacing and the caps.

Will sort this later as away with work for a bit.

Once this board is resolved it will be going back in the machine as it the original and matches the other boards The other I will keep as a spare whilst I own the machine.

I was very surprised to see it when I went to the post office yesterday I thought it was a present for a birthday today.

I must say I was happy to get it back but a bit annoying its cost me money I would have preferred to spend elseware.

For others if the post office looses your stuff wait 3 to 4 months before looking for replacement even if they tell you its lost! Obviously report it as soon as possible and get the reference number

Back
Top Bottom