What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JJP The Godfather

Personal opinion:

The CE looks like something Elvis would have had in his jungle room in the 70's. it's fawking awful. Probably suit a chavs palace in Essex though. :)

I find the sound on JJP(WOZ, Hobbit, POTC) games takes me to an eerie place and makes me uncomfortable rather than happy.

Dragging Essex into the discussion………Low blow!

Just like all JJP's it seems to be so heavily multiball focused. Stacking Multiballs just like in GnR gets old fast. You spend more time playing the multiballs than the modes. I have this exact issue with POTC and GnR.

Just like all JJP's it seems to be so heavily multiball focused. Stacking Multiballs just like in GnR gets old fast. You spend more time playing the multiballs than the modes. I have this exact issue with POTC and GnR.

First thing he said…..’You stacked a multiball on a multiball……..’

From pinside re the clip

KEF

pinball_keefer

Jersey Jack Pinball
US South Elgin, IL
11y 80,800 1,250 12

I'm hesitant to do this, but let me try and contextualize some of it.
First of all, it should be obvious to everyone that this isn't from the beginning of the game. The multiballs are not trivial to get to, but not super-hard (the first time, anyway) to get to. Compound requires a couple balls shot into there (not as easy as you might think), Sicily takes quite a few sling/bumper hits with intervening target hits. He got an extra ball, which means he was already on his 3rd bad guy (think 2 saucers in AFM or 2 castles in MM). He was already in a mode when the video started, so it was playing mode music (modes are not lit at ball/game start, it takes a bit of time to get them to light up). There are 8 modes, each with their own music.
As for the "slot machine fx," I will assume people are referring to the start of Sicily, where you hear that sound up to 8 times before the jackpot lights. I didn't hear anything that I perceive as slot machine-y after those hits were completed. I also don't think you're hearing them with the maximum fidelity coming out of a pinball machine, into a phone, and out of whatever you're listening on.

Good to see Karl is streaming it.
Imo one of the best on the internet. Great player and good at the talking whilst playing with high quality vids.

The Walking Dead and Avengers:IQ are two games that quickly come to mind where you can stack multiballs, and I don't think it ruins them!

The Walking Dead and Avengers:IQ are two games that quickly come to mind where you can stack multiballs, and I don't think it ruins them!

I don’t think the issue some people have with JJP games is that you can stack the multiballs - lots of games let you do that - but that the multiballs can also be easy to qualify meaning games can be quite multiball heavy, and when you have several multiballs running on top of a mode or two, it just means that pretty much every shot is lit for something.

Using JJP Pirates as an example, you can get six multiballs running simultaneously (the five movie multiballs + tortuga), on top of a mode, on top of a scoring mode like Arrr Frenzy. If you hit that stack it doesn’t really matter where the balls are, you’re scoring points anyway. To be fair it doesn’t happen that frequently, but it is rare to start a multiball and not end up starting at least a couple more + a mode or two before it’s over.

I personally don’t mind some games taking this approach, but I can see where those complaining are coming from.

Last edited:
Multiball after 10 seconds (literally his first shot) and another after 50 seconds. If you take it for what it is and forget it is supposed to be The Godfather it does look fun.

I’ve only watched the first few minutes of the stream, but my first impression is that they’ve made a fairly light hearted mafia / gangster themed game and then tried to tie the licence in.

I didn't see anything to put me off owning it one day.

I'd like to see the light show as a player, as someone with a GnR there is a wide range of effects that immerse you in the game and expect they've pushed that even further with more experience and having fitted hot rails on all sides of the playfield. You'll not experience that watching these streams due to the recording equipment used and pov.

The Compound area looks interesting, a lot going on there, Karl wasn't able to exploit it fully in the short time he was playing

The flipper feed from the right ramp is fast.

Watched some of the stream - its Star Wars all over again. A theme totally unconnected to the game you are playing and then as predicted Keefer mode multiball multipler bull****. also seems like scoring isn’t obvious?
if they had called it the anthill mob and gone cartoon it would be better!

From pinside re the clip

KEF

pinball_keefer

Jersey Jack Pinball
US South Elgin, IL
11y 80,800 1,250 12

I'm hesitant to do this, but let me try and contextualize some of it.
First of all, it should be obvious to everyone that this isn't from the beginning of the game. The multiballs are not trivial to get to, but not super-hard (the first time, anyway) to get to. Compound requires a couple balls shot into there (not as easy as you might think), Sicily takes quite a few sling/bumper hits with intervening target hits. He got an extra ball, which means he was already on his 3rd bad guy (think 2 saucers in AFM or 2 castles in MM). He was already in a mode when the video started, so it was playing mode music (modes are not lit at ball/game start, it takes a bit of time to get them to light up). There are 8 modes, each with their own music.
As for the "slot machine fx," I will assume people are referring to the start of Sicily, where you hear that sound up to 8 times before the jackpot lights. I didn't hear anything that I perceive as slot machine-y after those hits were completed. I also don't think you're hearing them with the maximum fidelity coming out of a pinball machine, into a phone, and out of whatever you're listening on.
Justification is unnecessary unless something is wrong (it IS, the sounds ARE 5hit) . I wish Keith would stop with his ridiculous long and obtuse rulesets and try to make games fun.

Playfield layout and artwork looks amazing.

Music not bad, callouts pretty poor.

Animations on the screen are nicely done but that light show 😬

Those rainbow puke side rails would be turned off if I owned it 🤢

What is the headline here @Neil McRae?
PINBALL MACHINE WITH RGB LIGHT SHOW HAS TOO MUCH COLOUR FOR GANGSTER THEME

You don't need facts for a scoop like that. Don't show at what point in game play that picture is taken. Wait, is there even a ball in play?

Where were you playing it? Or is this a screen shot from the game play so I can try to watch the context? Or is this cross fertilisation from Pinside and the haters?

Still, I love a good light show and I look forward to seeing more of this game.

Pinsider review..

MGS

MikeS

Pinside member
US Sauk City, WI
17y 159K 5,395 12 130

I stopped out at Blue Moon in Madison WI tonight and got about a dozen games in on GF and feel like i can give some early thoughts on the game.
First off it appears that JJP finally figured out their flippers. I was there for over 2 hours and the flippers were crisp and snappy and felt nothing like the sluggish/mushy JJP flippers of old. I had to put Precision Flippers on my GNR at home because the stock flipper feel of JJP's flippers are dog****. This is the first JJP game that I've enjoyed playing on route because the flippers finally feel really good to shoot. Whatever the fix is can you make this available for past games? Even if it requires buying a new board I'd do it just to have flippers that play this well.
The game looks absolutely gorgeous in person. Franchi nailed the art package and the game just looks high quality and premium similar to my GNR at home. lots of etched metal and premium touches that make the game look a step above games that other manufacturers put out. It's a great looking game and I would be perfectly content owning an LE model if the CE was out of reach.
Now for the gameplay. The game has a ton of different skill-shots (maybe too many) that you can pick from. I typically chose the "Compound Multiball" lock (the higher gate) because it can give you an instant multiball if you hit it. the gameplay itself is fast and there are a ton of shots and ball paths and it took me a couple games to kind of figure out what everything does and get a feel for the layout because it plays unlike any game I've played before which is a good thing. The layout felt refreshing and really fun to shoot. I tend to prefer Stern games, but their games all tend to have a similar feel and you kind of figure them out right away. This game just felt new and different and was a joy to shoot. I did notice that the ball save seemed shorter on this game and shooting anything on the lower half of the playfield can be deadly because of the speed and because you can have quick rebounds that send the ball to the outlanes. I figured out after a while to try and keep the ball on the upper half of the playfield until you get a multi-ball going if you can.
The rules feel like a cross between JPOTC and GNR. I'd say they feel about 50% JPOTC, 20% GNR, and 30% brand new. You pickup a job (mode) at the scoop and you can play/stack with multi-balls. You also build up the job value and can pick whether you want to cash out or keep pushing your luck which is similar to the song jackpot rules in GNR. The multi-balls feel a lot like JPOTC where once you get one going you tend to bring the other one's in and before you know you have a bunch of them running concurrently. It's not my favorite type of rule-set (my favorite Keefer games were his Stern games and WOZ) but i feel like this game improved upon what was done in games like JPOTC and GNR and made a best of both World's game. I feel like JPOTC had too many modes that all felt similar, in this game they give you fewer modes but they seem to have more distinction. It's basically JPOTC lite, with some GNR sprinkled in. You can get some pretty nice cashouts on the jobs which seem to be where most of the points come from in the game.
As far as theme goes, the game feels pretty loosely based on the Godfather theme. Yes, you get short movie clips throughout the game (mostly during jobs), and you hear the Godfather theme, but for the most part it feels like a mobster game in the World of Godfather. Similar to what Stern did with Jurassic Park. You fight bad guys and increase your influence. The jobs are based on events of the movies which is cool. They probably took the right approach as theming it too close off the game would make for a more boring game since GF isn't an action movie. The theme immersion isn't on the level of GNR, but they did a good job and made a fun game that I think people will really enjoy.
As far as the music and lights go I did cringe a bit when I saw the early gameplay video but when I played it the audio and lights seemed fine. It didn't remind me of Wonka/WOZ and the lighting didn't seem too over the top. I didn't see any rainbow lights when playing. Once again, sound and lights aren't as good as GNR, but it's still good.
In conclusion I think where the game really shines is in the layout and gameplay and the new snappy flippers are a very welcome addition. The total package on this game is fun and I think this has a good chance of being JJP's best game. It's a lot of fun and if the prices were more reasonable I would consider picking one up. Congrats to Eric, Keefer, and the rest of the JJP team on making a really fun game!

Back
Top Bottom