What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It’s the big one: TPF 2023 - has there ever been such a schedule!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
i don't rate Tommy as a game so I barely played it. It was not used in our league that often.

people loan games to the club some are good some less so.
Fair enough, it was nobody's fault.
More surprised in that frequented environment it had never been raised as a concern, the orbit clearly didnt work it slammed it from orbit left to right into the rear of the VUK instead of completing a loop.

CGC need to make all the CC before PF.

I know some people who have already waited 12 months?!?

Would of been more fitting to maybe hold back PF release until the US show later in the year.

I bet it will be a year until we see any PF's land in the UK (apart from maybe the Pinball Heaven sample).

One thing you can not knock Stern about in the 2020's is they announce a game and get it out.

Don't get me wrong. I really like CGC's work.

With the rumours of a TZ and possibly TAF remake done by a different company - I wonder if CGC are going to concentrate on original games.

CGC need to make all the CC before PF.

I know some people who have already waited 12 months?!?

Would of been more fitting to maybe hold back PF release until the US show later in the year.

I bet it will be a year until we see any PF's land in the UK (apart from maybe the Pinball Heaven sample).

One thing you can not knock Stern about in the 2020's is they announce a game and get it out.

Don't get me wrong. I really like CGC's work.

With the rumours of a TZ and possibly TAF remake done by a different company - I wonder if CGC are going to concentrate on original games.

CGC agree hence why they aren’t doing the work for play mechanix until October when they will have sorted out all the CCRs.

CGC didn’t design this game. Raw Thrills and PM who designed it use CMs for al their manufacturing.

doug who runs CGC is a no compromise guy who I absolutely love - and he’s as frustrated about CCR as we but he didn’t want to compromise on the quality - and you can see from PF how that no compromise approach delivers.

cheers,
Neil.

Now this is the future of pinball my back is crying out for!
A pin that can move and setup on its own 🤪

Pop into your local Early Learning Centre for a test trial, pre-order now and receive a free lunch box.

Screenshot 2023-03-25 at 00.19.12.png
Jokes aside I hope this turns out awesome, the classic edition looks great but the tank tracks model comes across as a kids toy initially. Might not be a bad thing mind you :)

If you get a minute over the weekend @Neil McRae . It would be nice if you grab some Fathom (remake) footage and give us all your initial impressions on how it plays, feels, build quality, audio, etc, thanks.

It plays awesome and looks stunning. The cabinet sides and metal work especially, playfield like glass and they've done some great work on the lighting. Still plays floaty which is a good thing as it's accurate to the original I know @Pick Holder mentioned that he thought the flippers seemed too powerful on the vids but i didnt get any of that. One criticism, i thought the sound was a bit off. Too modern and over produced maybe, didn't quite fit for me. Nit picking. They've done a great job though i reckon if they can start getting them out faster they'll do very very well. Especially within the context of the new single level games like PF. Honestly the lines for it are insane. Most popular game here by a long shot.

No magic girl here though but dutch did say they were taking it to pinfest yeooow!

It plays awesome and looks stunning. The cabinet sides and metal work especially, playfield like glass and they've done some great work on the lighting. Still plays floaty which is a good thing as it's accurate to the original I know @Pick Holder mentioned that he thought the flippers seemed too powerful on the vids but i didnt get any of that. One criticism, i thought the sound was a bit off. Too modern and over produced maybe, didn't quite fit for me. Nit picking. They've done a great job though i reckon if they can start getting them out faster they'll do very very well. Especially in context of the new single level game like PF. Honestly the lines for it are insane. Most popular game here by a long shot.

No magic girl here though but dutch did say they were taking it to pinfest yeooow!
Wow sounds amazing.. thanks for that great overview mate. Really goes to show how much people are liking these throwbacks to the original single level games.

I'm thinking a dream lineup here be TNA, Pulp Fiction and Fathom 😂

Oh I see Spooky have a couple TNA CE's at the show also, get inspecting them and ask some questions on build quality etc, hoping to get some confidence we do not have any major concerns once ours arrive. Maybe ask for some bags of spares and freebies 🤣

GTF. Hard af. Most shots crazy late on the flippers. The tank shot is death. I had one game and two balls where I was like this is total pants and then blew it up on the last ball and I was like okay that's pretty fing good fun actually.

The in game toys and mechs are crazy and brilliant. @MajesticPinball ypu might want to start liquidating some assets.

GTF. Hard af. Most shots crazy late on the flippers. The tank shot is death. I had one game and two balls where I was like this is total pants and then blew it up on the last ball and I was like okay that's pretty fing good fun actually.

The in game toys and mechs are crazy and brilliant. @MajesticPinball ypu might want to start liquidating some assets.
Yeah I'm certainly considering offloading a load of games and going for my first NIB, can't wait to see some gameplay. Have a fantastic time dude

Wow sounds amazing.. thanks for that great overview mate. Really goes to show how much people are liking these throwbacks to the original single level games.

I'm thinking a dream lineup here be TNA, Pulp Fiction and Fathom 😂

Oh I see Spooky have a couple TNA CE's at the show also, get inspecting them and ask some questions on build quality etc, hoping to get some confidence we do not have any major concerns once ours arrive. Maybe ask for some bags of spares and freebies 🤣

They play great! Just like the original just sexier.

I got a quick game on Galactic tank earlier, was really quick but seemed quite a fun game. Hi anyone who's still up in the uk 👋 for anyone wondering today gone great, im currently in 2nd qual. Place in both the main and the classics 😀 @stumblor / Neil are you two still downstairs? Im on last classic game next il come down afterwards😊

that looks suspiciously Like the Dog Gordon that Tobin was trying to offload - that is quite possibly the worst Flash Gordon I’ve ever played.
@Neil McRae Having repaired - and owned - that Flash Gordon, it plays like the one currently in tournaments at PBR, except without the planking near the right flipper because it has a hardtop.

That Flash Gordon had several mechanic faults when I bought it, but looked beautiful, and - at the time - I was a lot more confident with us repairing mechanical faults than doing cosmetic work (unlike the person who did the restoration). So, my husband repaired the faults, but resented working on the pin as he doesn’t especially enjoy FG (he thinks it’s trying to be a B/W pin and failing), and we sold it. I happen to like FG a lot and miss it, but don’t get everything I want, and we found an Alien Poker shortly afterwards.

I appreciate you don’t enjoy repairing pins, but you needn’t imply that it sat at my house for months while needing a flipper rebuild and a different size coil on the saucer (both things we did, plus adding film music, a topper, and loads of other bits I forget):rolleyes:

Such a shame because your contributions to the forum about the Texas Pinball Festival are so positive and informative :) :(
@Neil McRae You wrote several pages back that some people value pins for reasons other than gameplay, such as music or theme, and some of them are bad players who prefer easier pins.

I wasn’t insulting PF. We may disagree on many things, but we actually have a similar taste in unfairly-difficult pinball machines. I was trying to point out, incase it helped anyone, that this looks like a hard pin, which may not appeal to people who love the theme, but who prefer a more chill game 🙂

I was also trying to promote 70s/80s pins to people who might have been put off trying them out by only seeing beat-up examples. They are great 🥰

But, of course, you got defensive 🙄

Either way, PF looks a great game, lots of people will enjoy it, and I’m sure anyone who finds it’s not for them will find a buyer 🙂

Sorry for the thread derail. Carry on getting excited about stuff, everyone 😊

Last edited:
Still nobody has mentioned a new game that has not even been rumoured about yet.... :)

@stumblor - was not me ref the flippers on Fathom. Unless I said a while ago but honestly can not remember (the Boris get out clause).
@Neil McRae - useful info about PF - but it will still be a year, and they could of announced it at the show later in the year.

The tank game has made me laugh out loud with its remote control. Unless that is just a prototype and not really on the retail one.
Would like to see the screen on TANK during gameplay.

Enjoy your next day - and continuted good luck to Mr Foster!

I'm a little more skeptical, largely because I know that actual 80s pins can look, and sound, almost as good. It's just it's very rare you see an 80s pin where anyone has made that much of an effort.
View attachment 197327

View attachment 197328

A greater volume of code doesn't automatically make for a better pin so, theme apart, the real standout features are the RGB lighting and the rotating suitcase. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer on it, as it is incredibly well executed and the theme is a huge draw but it's not, from what I'm seeing, as standout as it may appear. Obviously, I've not played it, so I may be wrong, but - generally - 80s pins tend to be the neglected step-children of collections featuring modern Sterns and B/W-era pins, so it's rare you actually see one that's had a serious restoration. They do look as good as Pulp Fiction (IMO), so it is relying on the lighting, toys, theme and code.

Aren't you someone who loves TNA and has one on order? Aren't you contradicting yourself? Isn't that an early solid state inspired game with deeper rules, RGB lighting etc? Just like PF?

And where do you draw these conclusions from regarding solid states in collections? Just PBR?

Why would anyone who owns an early solid state (whether it be a Williams, Bally, Zaccaria) that's taking up space in their home leave it sitting neglected?
I have two Gen1 Zacs and a Bally and they get the same amount, if not more play time than the more modern games, as well as me meticulously fixing bits to make them play nice.

You've got people on this forum who make money out of doing up classic games as well as collections like @AlanJ or @JMP where there's emmacuate early solid states next to modern Sterns and that's not an isolated example.

I just find it a strange statement to make and probably quite offensive to people who maintain games at PBR if that's your main reference point.

Older games are often more worn, because they were played to death. So newer games (90s onwards) are a lot easier to spruce up without needing a whole new playfield, especially considering most of them have clearcoated playfields unlike the earlier solid states.
That's doesn't mean they are neglected

I just find it a strange statement to make and probably quite offensive to people who maintain games at PBR if that's your main reference point.
PBR was not my reference point. There are quite a few 80s pins, on location, which aren't looked after especially well - especially in bars, arcades, service stations and other entertainment venues. I'm aware that, as a Londoner, I have a wealth of pins available to experience onsite, often at venues run by enthusiasts like PBR, but not everyone is as lucky as we are. There may be people on this forum, reading but not posting, who can only experience a wide range of pins by having them at home.
Aren't you someone who loves TNA and has one on order? Aren't you contradicting yourself? Isn't that an early solid state inspired game with deeper rules, RGB lighting etc? Just like PF?

TNA doesn't have deep rules. Unless I'm missing some nuances, it actually has fewer rules than SS pins like Flash Gordon. It's doing something quite different from PF, which is fine because not everyone has to like the same things.

Why would anyone who owns an early solid state (whether it be a Williams, Bally, Zaccaria) that's taking up space in their home leave it sitting neglected?

I think you're possibly a bit naive about the condition and technical knowledge of the pins and owners floating around public venues/homes/sheds in the parts of the UK with lower land prices than London. Having spent some time looking for rarer old pins, and talking to owners, there are people with SS pinball machines sitting in their offices/workplaces/sheds/front rooms that they know little about, have no idea how to maintain and - in some cases - daren't switch on.

Older games are often more worn, because they were played to death. So newer games (90s onwards) are a lot easier to spruce up without needing a whole new playfield, especially considering most of them have clearcoated playfields unlike the earlier solid states.
That's doesn't mean they are neglected

I didn't say they were neglected. I said they were less likely to look 'new' and - yes - that might put some people off. Yes, that is largely a function of age and wear. Playfield swaps are a big job and most people don't want to, or don't see the value in doing that (or think, if you go to the effort of doing a playfield swap, you need your head examining ;) ). I don't see why this is some huge insult to anyone 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom