What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foo Fighters Announced

Seems they’ve been burning the midnight oil software coding. Looks quite complete as opposed to the one mode James Bond launched with.

Bond didn't launch with one mode. Folks playing it didn't know how to get to the other modes. Tanio said it was .8 so another 20% to come.

No, I know that mate. What I meant was, Dangers team are probably led by someone who is only focused on one thing (Foo Fighters).

I would not be at all surprised if Jack himself is constantly pushing the code and working late into the night with his team. Watching the stream it did seem like they were a close bunch and he alluded to the fact that many late nights and pizzas had been had 🍕. Jack probaly has all sorts of ideas flying around in his head and I'd imagine he's excitedly texting the coder all the time.

In essence this is probably not just 9-5 for them.

It's going to be difficult for Gomez to push a project to that extent. He's running large parts of Stern which must mean he has to split his time.

From the insider podcast and what Jack and Tanio said on stream I think they worked on the story together but the rules are Tanio and Rayday.

The reason for the difference is the same reason that there has always been a difference in games and thats Lonnie, when ever he is involved in a game it just isn't as good, and then after an age they do a mega update and the game is better, but Stranger things, GOTG, Aerosmith, all terrible until one mega update usually a year after the game launches. Its happened with just about all of Lonnie's games except Munsters. Gomez isn't a designer any more, he runs the design team so is overseeing just about everything that is going on product wise at Stern, which means he would not have had the same amount of attention as Jack who would only be focused on this game.

I'm the exact opposite :) , as long as I don't hate a theme it's all about the layout and gameplay.

I thought that but the music on Rush I couldn't get over. Fortunately most of the FF songs are ok and one or two I really like so I can probably live with this. Worst case the music isn't so tied into the rules so easy to do a Disco Fighters if need be.

looks lovely, pro has less toys on it than Picards head and so now stern seem to be making them so cheap that the prem is the new pro.
looking forward to playing one soon

pro stream tonight!
now can you bare no "toys" ? Imagine if Iron Maiden had no toys how **** it would be. Oh wait a minute?! IT HAS NO TOYS!

One thing that has struck me more than anything else is the way that Stern has handled this release.

I cannot recall any rumours whatsoever about FF. Literally the first I heard about it was Friday, less than a week later there's a stream of gameplay! How quickly they actually get shipped will be the next step.

Hopefully they'll realise that they don't need to be leaking hints months before they're ready to actually ship a game. People will buy them the second they're announced anyway. It also takes away people putting their names on a waitlist with distributors and then selling their spots months later (when they've actually seen gameplay), often at a profit, while waiting for delivery of the game.

Stern have definitely got it right this time - so far.

Another thing it suggests, is that those 'people in the know' who have previously spouted rumours as facts, often after justifying their stories months/years after the fact, aren't quite as connected/trusted as they think they are.

One thing that has struck me more than anything else is the way that Stern has handled this release.

I cannot recall any rumours whatsoever about FF. Literally the first I heard about it was Friday, less than a week later there's a stream of gameplay! How quickly they actually get shipped will be the next step.

Hopefully they'll realise that they don't need to be leaking hints months before they're ready to actually ship a game. People will buy them the second they're announced anyway. It also takes away people putting their names on a waitlist with distributors and then selling their spots months later (when they've actually seen gameplay), often at a profit, while waiting for delivery of the game.

Stern have definitely got it right this time - so far.

Another thing it suggests, is that those 'people in the know' who have previously spouted rumours as facts, often after justifying their stories months/years after the fact, aren't quite as connected/trusted as they think they are.

I don't think stern deliberately leak anything. Gary is paranoid about ****ing off the licensor which I can understand given they often have the right to pull the plug and if you spent £1M of dev time creating a game you don't want to lose out just before release!

Foo Fighters was known for a long time that it was coming and that Jack and Tanio were working on it, I think Chris called it out about a year ago and the next stern pinball thread on pinside has been talking about it for a while. Same with Venom. Have you been in a cave? 😂

Even our Phil was rumouring :D https://www.pinball.co.uk/blog/foo-fighters-pinball-machine-the-pinball-rumour-mill/

I think Stern have got alot better at not leaking specific details of the games though, I saw the dead pool whitewood months before it was released and Iron Maiden also. Avengers:IQ is still the game that I think had the least news about it; was almost a surprise when they released it because they had done Avengers recently and covid didn't help. I got lucky with Bond and we will see if I got lucky with Elton John Rocketman!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a great looking pinball...

Music pins have always bombed at Tilt, hence why not in for an LE

And if I wasn't buying a house I'd personally be in for an LE

We'll have the pro soon as it lands from Pinball Heaven!

It's a great looking pinball...

Music pins have always bombed at Tilt, hence why not in for an LE

And if I wasn't buying a house I'd personally be in for an LE

We'll have the pro soon as it lands from Pinball Heaven!

That will be time for my first visit!

Look at all these grown men this evening having a mental breakdown about which model to go for and will the wife go f@&king mental if you place an order for a pin you declared 5 short hours ago you had no interest in whatsoever he he I love it … so we know Neil’s in for a le obvs who else is trying to get spousal authority on the purchase ?

Well, I've taken the kids to tons of FF gigs, and managed to get signed drum skins for my daughter as she's a drummer. One of the best days ever we had together was at MK Bowl, so there's a real connection to the music for us.

When she saw it Dawn just turned to me and asked "So, when does the LE of this arrive and where the hell is it going?" :rofl:

It looks great, the animations have so much to them (Stern really putting a lot of time and money into the digital assets), and I'll get to see all the later ones whilst I watch Josh play it ;)

From the insider podcast and what Jack and Tanio said on stream I think they worked on the story together but the rules are Tanio and Rayday.

The reason for the difference is the same reason that there has always been a difference in games and thats Lonnie, when ever he is involved in a game it just isn't as good, and then after an age they do a mega update and the game is better, but Stranger things, GOTG, Aerosmith, all terrible until one mega update usually a year after the game launches. Its happened with just about all of Lonnie's games except Munsters. Gomez isn't a designer any more, he runs the design team so is overseeing just about everything that is going on product wise at Stern, which means he would not have had the same amount of attention as Jack who would only be focused on this game.

EVERY single Lyman pin for years was awful for up to 18 months after release, goback and read the RGP and Pinside threads about how bad they were.

Spider-Man - no wizard or mini wizard mode for ages (at one point you could get to Super Hero and NOTHING happened)
AC/DC - One of the sales features of the Prem/LE was the RGB lighting, took almost a year for them to be anything but white, sadly unfinished but still great
Metallica - Mystery wasn't (for almost a year) it was 500k and no wizard modes either, or band member modes
TWD - Amassive turd for over a year (PH had 8 pre-orders and almost every single person backed out, he had LE's for over a year), then horde and LMS were added and the game changed overnight
B66 - Everyone knows how bad this was for over a year
Elvira - It wasn't awful but it wasn't great either until about a year after release

Lonnie gets a bad rep. He gets most stuff done, he may not have the polish or ingenuity of Lyman but a lot of his games are decent enough. The difference with Lyman was that he seemed to really care/have pride in his work. To other's, it's just a job

One of the best days ever we had together was at MK Bowl, so there's a real connection to the music for us.

I saw them at the bowl too, a couple of times, and they were just fantastic days with an amazing atmosphere, even if Dave was stuck in a rock throne with a broken leg!

Saw them in 2001 as the pre-headline act at V2001 and headliners were The Red Hot Chilli Peppers - that was a very good evening!
Think they were on their 3rd album at that point.

The Dave/Nandi drum offs over COVID were properly cool.

I'd love one of these - looks fantastic I'm looking forward to seeing one on-site or at Pinfest hopefully!

Just watched the stream, game looks good, and very quick!, propaby can live with the music... just.

Saw them in 2001 as the pre-headline act at V2001 and headliners were The Red Hot Chilli Peppers - that was a very good evening!
Think they were on their 3rd album at that point.

The Dave/Nandi drum offs over COVID were properly cool.

I'd love one of these - looks fantastic I'm looking forward to seeing one on-site or at Pinfest hopefully!
I was at that gig too! A very strange line up for the V Festival also included Queens Of The Stone Age and The Distillers, loved it. Seen the Foo's 4 times and they are a great live band, plenty of sing a long anthems, and good fun.

Oooofffff… right back at ya Stern
View attachment 194938

Doesn't equal fun though. If KJ is programming it with his obtuse ruleset, it will be no fun "Flip the left flipper 19 times, shoot the right ramp 7 times, followed by the left roll over switch and the right pop bumper, then shoot the centre target to start a mode" or the alternative "How did I get it???" multiball

I was at that gig too! A very strange line up for the V Festival also included Queens Of The Stone Age and The Distillers, loved it. Seen the Foo's 4 times and they are a great live band, plenty of sing a long anthems, and good fun.
I was also at v that year, saw the Foos, then headed off to the dance tent to see kosheen, as I’d seen the chilli peppers numerous times

EVERY single Lyman pin for years was awful for up to 18 months after release, goback and read the RGP and Pinside threads about how bad they were.

Spider-Man - no wizard or mini wizard mode for ages (at one point you could get to Super Hero and NOTHING happened)
AC/DC - One of the sales features of the Prem/LE was the RGB lighting, took almost a year for them to be anything but white, sadly unfinished but still great
Metallica - Mystery wasn't (for almost a year) it was 500k and no wizard modes either, or band member modes
TWD - Amassive turd for over a year (PH had 8 pre-orders and almost every single person backed out, he had LE's for over a year), then horde and LMS were added and the game changed overnight
B66 - Everyone knows how bad this was for over a year
Elvira - It wasn't awful but it wasn't great either until about a year after release

Lonnie gets a bad rep. He gets most stuff done, he may not have the polish or ingenuity of Lyman but a lot of his games are decent enough. The difference with Lyman was that he seemed to really care/have pride in his work. To other's, it's just a job
Yeah fair point Nick.

Any particular reason why the music pins don’t make coin at Tilt?

Yeah most music pins are generally a rock band and we're not a rock bar so generally, the punters won't associate with the IP

If I'm buying for Tilt it has to be an IP 90% of the people know and get and it always shows in the coinage...

Things like Stranger Things and Bond kill it

Back
Top Bottom