What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally, Pulp Fiction

Playing Godzilla tonight and I realise I rarely feel I have time to look up at the screen to see what's going on or what it's telling me to do, it feels like information overload at times. Pulp not having a screen would be a nice change.
I feel like that for most games Marv.

I loved the screen in CV.

Taking theme out of it, what's a similar style old Pin to Pulp Fiction? I've looked at some of Mark Ritchie's other designs and can see a bit of Taxi and Diner in there, any others?

I've never considered a pre-DMD Pin but wouldn't mind some time on Taxi or Diner.

Taking theme out of it, what's a similar style old Pin to Pulp Fiction? I've looked at some of Mark Ritchie's other designs and can see a bit of Taxi and Diner in there, any others?

I've never considered a pre-DMD Pin but wouldn't mind some time on Taxi or Diner.
Funny you should say that as I've been thinking just that and how much I'd like a Taxi or Diner while waiting for PF!

The 3 middle drop targets with the lock shot behind them look exactly the same as WMS Indy which he also designed

David Thiel has addressed the concerns regarding audio quality over on Pinside:

“I’m concerned about first PF experiences that refer to 'static' in the sound. I've had a pre-production PF for more than a year and have turned it up (so that the floor shakes). There is no 'static'.
Just to be sure, go into tests. There is a sound test that plays "this is the cabinet speaker", "this is the backbox speaker". Make sure that these audio clips are coming out of the correct driver. Sound will be 'not good' if the speakers are not connected correctly.
At shows or in loud arcades where there is the potential of a 'volume war' all the pins lose.
In a private environment I am confident that the PF sound system is competitive with the best sound systems I work on. CGC uses very good speakers and the industry standard TI class D amp. It is loud and punchy. There is an operator adjustment for the relative contribution of the cabinet speaker. This can make provide more punch if PF is operated on a concrete floor.
Except at the loudest possible volume settings PF should be distortion free and loud. If it isn't, submit a ticket as this is an issue to be fixed.
The CGC system is digital from the CPU to the amplifier. No hum inducted through analog cables. A side effect of this is that there is no analog out which makes getting the audio for Twitch streams challenging. Karl has done a great job at capturing the audio for his '666' challenge, I've enjoyed watching it.
Since the signal going to the cabinet speaker has been processed for max low end, I'm not sure what the effect of an external subwoofer would be. It should be used judiciously. If you like bass, then so be it, it's your machine.

Finally, there was no mandate to sound 'cheesy' like a vintage pin. This is 48 khz, uncompressed audio rendered with full range-bandwidth. Music was 'enhanced' for more kickass bass than existed in the original 'mono' recordings (Jungle Boogie was stereo). Everything was tuned to sound as good as possible with the pin audio system. If that is not what you are hearing, then something is wrong.”

I’d love to have some idea how long it’s likely to be before it arrives in the UK. I’m on the order list and have the cash set aside, but I’m itching for a second machine!

More words of wisdom from David Thiel regarding Stereo audio on games:

"I was the guy who architectect'd the DE sound board for stereo back in 1987. I learned right away that only hard panning is discernible on a pin. But it does make a difference. Spatial cues are good and when available I do that all the time. And if there is a ball detect switch on the left to right ramp early enough so that the sound can start soon enough, ramp sounds pan from left to right.

However, stereo pinball sound it isn't a huge feature, yes, the speakers are close at five feet away so only the broadest gestures work. Music sounds somewhat better in stereo if mixed right but again, not a deal breaker. If I've got it, I use it.

Full Range audio (lows to highs) evenly distributed is a more crucial feature for me and I do what I can to ensure that sound assets sound as good as they can be on less than flat response pinball audio systems.

There were some amplifier dip switch issues that led to distortion at public venue sound levels on pre-production PF pins. And sadly, in the early days some people experienced some nasty sounds. I trust that production machines all have their dip switches in order and are wired correctly."

The multiball lock by the drop targets and the curve is from IJ.

I never saw the magnet used? What's its purpose?
Yeah good point, not sure it was working/switched on, on this machine. On Karl's stream you could see how it was meant to function, it grabs the ball and stops it during modes and then flings it off after holding it for a couple of seconds

Yeah good point, not sure it was working/switched on, on this machine. On Karl's stream you could see how it was meant to function, it grabs the ball and stops it during modes and then flings it off after holding it for a couple of seconds

Thanks, yeh I was just watching Karl's stream after yours and could see it grabbing the ball after the shot was made 👍.

Karl's stream almost feels like a different game as you can hear the music, sound and call outs clearly.

Great game, definitely want one now.

Great overview video from Craig, he appears to love the game.

Good spot on the Magnet, the magnet shot looks awesome. On one of Karl's streams I seen the magnet throw the ball up the Roll Scene lane.

Notice also that the Brief case wasn't working, no movement, not spinning in briefcase boogie multi ball.

Good spot on the Magnet, the magnet shot looks awesome. On one of Karl's streams I seen the magnet throw the ball up the Roll Scene lane.

Notice also that the Brief case wasn't working, no movement, not spinning in briefcase boogie multi ball.
CGC - Best built Pinball machines in the industry people keep saying. I only half jest, things can come loose in transit.

CGC - Best built Pinball machines in the industry people keep saying. I only half jest, things can come loose in transit.
Think the one Gonzo was not a production run model, possibly things also disabled or not enabled. No biggie, would take this with faults over some other new machines 😂

Think the one Gonzo was not a production run model, possibly things also disabled or not enabled. No biggie, would take this with faults over some other new machines 😂

Yeah, absolutely. It actually says prototype on the label. The magnet was working when it arrived, I might have inadvertently switched it off when trying to mute adult mode.

The wizard modes really are something else, personal fav is frenzy, also love the way the gameplay integrates into and warps the music.

Back
Top Bottom