What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally, Pulp Fiction

Nice!

Having a Pulp Fiction at home is a pretty exclusive club, are you third after Josh Sharpe and Tarantino?
One feature I haven't seen shown in streams or videos so far is 'drive fast' where the orbit opens up.
Alternating rip-da-spinner shot sounds a lot of fun.

David Thiel himself has posted over on Pinside, regarding the single speaker backbox design.
----------------------------------------------------------------
PF - mono vs stereo. There have been several posts decrying the fact that PF is mono. As the sound guy I want the best reproduction available for the player and let me say that PF audio reproduction is very good. Why mono? It is derived from the same CGC platform that has been used for the remakes. Very few WMS pins were stereo. As far as the material, 3 out of the 5 licensed songs were issued as mono in the day, so this is hardly a come down. All dialog is essentially mono, so that is not an issue. Yes, when available I use stereo for game cues when possible and this isn't available. However, all the assets are stored as two channel assets where I specially mastered different versions of the signal for the backbox channel and the cabinet channel. What I have done to each signal is considerably more involved that your average speaker crossover. The resulting PF audio is more full-spectrum than many other pins with a flat response which ensures the music sounds good. From my June NWPAS talk I demonstrated what I am referring to with regards to PF audio, this might help.

hqdefault.jpg
I've been living with this system for more than two years and I'm sure that it will be satisfying in your collection.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds good to me.
If I’m being hyper critical, I would ask David Theil to change the cash out sound FX at 53:28. Sounds like: Who Wants to be a Millionaire: - can’t un hear it now 😬

1:16 Big Lose as below:

Put it on Pinside for David to see…lol hard hat on awaiting downvotes.
Ref sound, Isn’t all Stern pre-spike mono?

Last edited:
Karl is an incredible player but man…this pin is really kicking his butt.
Those out-lanes even with nudging look brutal as hell. Also a lot of fast rebounds.
Not sure if he has the out-lane posts open with tough settings.

Karl is an incredible player but man…this pin is really kicking his butt.
Those out-lanes even with nudging look brutal as hell. Also a lot of fast rebounds.
Not sure if he has the out-lane posts open with tough settings.

I'm not an incredible player and it's kicking my butt.

Crikey, it's addictive though. I've completed the 5 cast members once and playing 5 roll scenes in one game will be a challenge.

Nice simple code which will be difficult to complete due to the difficulty of the game.

Brilliant though.

I'm not an incredible player and it's kicking my butt.

Crikey, it's addictive though. I've completed the 5 cast members once and playing 5 roll scenes in one game will be a challenge.

Nice simple code which will be difficult to complete due to the difficulty of the game.

Brilliant though.

I'm not sure I can handle another butt kicking game. That said WH20 kicks my buttbutt everytime but its still the first one I turn on. Must do better in 2024.

I'm not sure I can handle another butt kicking game. That said WH20 kicks my buttbutt everytime but its still the first one I turn on. Must do better in 2024.

Exactly right Dan, I have never completed Whitewater either but it's so addictive. This is similar in that regard.

The game has me distracted too. I'm obsessed with collecting the cast members at the expense of doing anything else which is a sign that I'm massively enjoying it.

Theres nothing wrong with getting your **** kicked and my TNA is testament to that time and time again! Like pulp simple enough rules to understand but achieving them is another gravy. TNA never grows old and hopefully the same with PF.
im sure in a larger collection it will find its place but im not so sure its its an ideal candidate for those who only have funds/space for a single pin.
There is the opposite end to this equation as my LOTR was rarely played due the long ball times and the fear of being on there for 45 mins which happened regularly.

Im excited to play this at TPF along with Spooky’s new outings.

That was my thinking on Pulp Fiction too! It being comparable to TNA - simple, retro, fast and brutal with a killer theme and sound package. Ideally you want a long playing, ramps and wire forms flow machine next to it for the best of both worlds.

I agree - PF is clearly a bit more in depth than TNA but it’s very different to a full rules, stack this and that modern Stern. It feels like an absolute sweet spot. I still think they’re comparable from the perspective of owning one and the type of gameplay.

I also think it’s exactly the game to make me a better player

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom