What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete White Water shop - It has ended phew!!!!

Aren't decals just big stickers?

I think I paid almost £200 for the set for my R&B. Not helped by HMRC taking their cut when they landed in the UK.

Even if it was made of platinum it can't be worth that much! It's only that sparkly holographic foil. My daughter get sparkly stickers free on her CBeebies magazine ;)

Even if it was made of platinum it can't be worth that much! It's only that sparkly holographic foil. My daughter get sparkly stickers free on her CBeebies magazine ;)

Nope - it's foil that has to be reproduced with the correct depth/graduations, else you dont get the water effect.

Saying that though, it is mightily expensive!

Supply and demand - I bet they still sell a load!

yea theres murder going on over it on pinside,
another preorder fiasco !
Orginal toppers were apparently selling for 600 dollers !

Wow, this stuff is getting silly! I'm considering ditching my City job and moving into the pinball repro business ;) Helped a mate unload a WH2O last night. It's a mighty fine game. Have played the one at Special When Lit - that's a beautiful example; colour DMD, squeaky clean and plays fast. Great game.

shouldn't be long. May well have it back in on monday after 8bit flip as my son is around to give me a lift with it.

Cheers Kev

Well I know have the backbox back from Daz @replicas and he has done a fantastic job on silk screening the warning text on the back of it, so it is now time to turn to completing all the backbox bits and pieces, and today I have started by fixing the bodge on the CPU board - looks a lot better than the original piggy backed hack in it's new socket !!!

Chris for info mate !! @TYHO

Before ...
P6210441.JPG
and after!!
P4070118.JPG

That's a coincidence I have to tackle a ULN2803 on my Hook shortly which is currently soldered straight to the board. What work did you do here? From the previous picture it looks like two are piggy backed, if one is good and one is bad how the heck are two connected in parallel going to behave.

Piggy backing chips?? Oh lord I've seen it all now.

Good work correcting it Kev!

I have a pic of a nice little hack I saw at the weekend - whomever did it must have been mad

Tho re Kevs hack maybe that is jsut the easiest thing to do-I'll just stick one on top - much easier than desoldering/resodering in a new one right:cuckoo::sad::-o:tut::hmm:

That's a coincidence I have to tackle a ULN2803 on my Hook shortly which is currently soldered straight to the board. What work did you do here? From the previous picture it looks like two are piggy backed, if one is good and one is bad how the heck are two connected in parallel going to behave.
good question man!!!! no idea how it worked but it did!!! I cut the old chip off the board with side cutters, and then de-soldered the left over pin and removed it with tweezers. Then I used a solder sucker to remove all the solder from each leg hole and then just soldered in a new socket - took about 30mins - (PS - you need a temp controlled fine tipped iron to do this)

I have a pic of a nice little hack I saw at the weekend - whomever did it must have been mad

Tho re Kevs hack maybe that is jsut the easiest thing to do-I'll just stick one on top - much easier than desoldering/resodering in a new one right:cuckoo::sad::-o:tut::hmm:
like it POIBUG!!!! still no idea how it worked though lol!!!!

good question man!!!! no idea how it worked but it did!!! I cut the old chip off the board with side cutters, and then de-soldered the left over pin and removed it with tweezers. Then I used a solder sucker to remove all the solder from each leg hole and then just soldered in a new socket - took about 30mins - (PS - you need a temp controlled fine tipped iron to do this)

lucky that the chip must have failed open,whereas if it failed short circuit that would not have fixed it
to be fair to Williams on later games they did socket that chip

And for tonight I have re-decalled the head - finally light at the end of the tunnel !!!

Question for Daz (or anyone else that can chip in) @replicas every time I cut back the edge of the decal and peel the thin strip off it pulls the paint off, and I have to retouch it in, which is easy if its black, as you can just use a paint pen, but a right git when it is blue and the decal blue is slightly different, so how do you stop it pulling the paint off which has been on there six months now ??? I am going to spray some paint in the can lid and touch it in by hand with a fine brush unless there is another way of doing it ?

Still looking sweet tho !

Cheers Kev

IMG_0286.JPG

I think it depends which way you use the blade to trim it. I noticed if I put the blade on top of the decal it scrapes the paint, but if I go behind it (so my hand is under the overlap) and trim that way the blade seems to follow the cabinet easier and doesn't scrape.

I think it depends which way you use the blade to trim it. I noticed if I put the blade on top of the decal it scrapes the paint, but if I go behind it (so my hand is under the overlap) and trim that way the blade seems to follow the cabinet easier and doesn't scrape.
dont quite follow you Pete - when you trim back from the edge ie about 1.5mm you have to cut through the decal, from the top, and into the wood ????

Ah I don't do it that way. I trim my decals right up to the edge of the cab, using the cab edge as the guideline for the blade. :)

Ah I don't do it that way. I trim my decals right up to the edge of the cab, using the cab edge as the guideline for the blade. :)
ah ok - I was told to cut them back as then the edges dont get caught and end up lifting ;)

OK little more progress all the backbox steels polished and time to start putting all back together!!!

P4080120.JPG

Kev you are right in the trimming of the decal, maybe a brand new blade and not such a steep cutting angle.

For the record I was planning on taking Kevs method too and trimming back just over 1mm. I saw a Fun House that had been re-decalled at the Pinlab in Copenhagen and it's just as you describe - they'd not trimmed back and someone had already caught the edge and managed to lift them slightly. Looked a bit shabby if i'm honest.

It'll only peel if its overhanging a tiny bit to catch on things. If cut at a 45 degree angle I find that doesn't happen. :)

Back
Top Bottom