What's new

Complete TAF, fullish rebuild

If they are in reasonable condition, I would just to keep them with the machine. Most of mine were trash and didn't go back in.

image.jpgTemp put together and hide all the s--t laying around the conservatory, bloody guests coming , I say just close the curtains and don,t tell em we have a conservatory , .

Still waiting on decals and wire braiding , hopefully come soon or I,ll be running out of work

image.jpg image.jpg Guests gone so machine back to bits and conservatory a mess again .

Ply wood secured to base , edges sealed , ready for more paint when the sealant and glue go off ,

never ending this pinball resto! image.jpgimage.jpg

Looks nice. I could never get a good finish with gloss. Why prep did you do? May give it another go with my addams.

Plenty of filler and I used a 3mm sheet of ply on the bottom of cabinet , you can,t get a smooth finish on the original fibreboard , unless you use special sealer and paints , if you get close there are a couple of imperfections , but when it hardens fully I,ll give it a mop and polish , same as what you use on car paint ! . Hopefully by tomorrow all paintwork finished , but still waiting on decals and new earth braid . Still , I've got loads more hardware polishing to do .

Also it's a satin black and a satin purple I used , not as glossy ! Also fine sandpaper in between coats , also used an acrylic sealer around the joins to give a nice clean line , you can paint over acrylic sealer
Lee

He's right tho Lee - Looking great there :)
Thanks Paul , here it is this morning with a bit of bling added , can,t do much else till the braid or the decals arrive , might mark out in felt tip the routes for the wire braiding ! , just to keep myself busy image.jpgQuite happy with it myself so far , it's a big learning curve

Don't get carried away putting all those cool shiny bits on Lee, they'll get in the way when you start re-braiding!

Don't get carried away putting all those cool shiny bits on Lee, they'll get in the way when you start re-braiding!
ooh yes... you have to braid under the Power box, over the leg plates etc etc....

Yeh I know lads , the big bits are just sat in place , not screwed in yet , I'm looking at how to run the braid , so these bits are helping me find the best route , I don't like the way the original braiding cut corners and went on angles , I think I will try and run all the braid at right angles to try and keep it looking tidy

For your first time resto you are certainly doing a great job.
Keep up the good work.

Bet you can't wait to make a start on the decals.

For your first time resto you are certainly doing a great job.
Keep up the good work.

Bet you can't wait to make a start on the decals.
I,m looking forward to doing the decals , but scared Sh------ss. I just want to make a good job of them ,
I've been watching loads of " how to videos" on decals , so should be ok.
I'm going to do the dry method as I want as much adhesion onto the cabinet as possible , if anyone has any other tips or what not to do , please let me know.
Lee

looks lovely m8, just been rebraiding mine to
Thaks , yrs is coming along nicely and looks fab , where did you get the braiding from ,I got some online from the uk , but they did not tell me it is not in stock so might get it end of the week , but I go back to Africa next Tuesday , might have to finish it when I get back in March !

I,m looking forward to doing the decals , but scared Sh------ss. I just want to make a good job of them ,
I've been watching loads of " how to videos" on decals , so should be ok.
I'm going to do the dry method as I want as much adhesion onto the cabinet as possible , if anyone has any other tips or what not to do , please let me know.
Lee

Dry is best IMO, fool-proof too as long as you get the positioning right. A good tip is to leave the decals laying out in a warm room for a few days prior to using them to make sure they are completely flat.

Buy yourself some of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Irwi...t=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2ecdd20744

and stick some felt on each jaw so they don't mark the decals.

Back
Top Bottom