What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete TAF, fullish rebuild

Lee ellison

Lee9168
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg To far gone now , are well , suppose I,ll have to carry on , where are all these wires from ! .? Hope it all goes back together as easy ! . Have not decided yet on how far I am going with the rebuild , not sure on the playfield , it is in good condition with very minimal wear , new decals on the way from the US. . Plan on painting the interior of cabinet , as I have tried to clen it and it is too soiled , I am also polishing most of the hardware myself , I,ll have arms like Popeyes by time I've, finished , new chrome legs. And a few other bits , keep you all updated . Back panel on back box is swollen , so I will change this out , but would it be better to use ply instead of the original hardboard ?

IJ Restore   M.E. 002.jpg IJ Restore   M.E. 036.jpg IJ Restore   M.E. 039.jpg IJ Restore   M.E. 041.jpg IJ Restore   M.E. 043.jpg Indy res me 005.jpg
View attachment 4941 View attachment 4943 View attachment 4944 View attachment 4945 To far gone now , are well , suppose I,ll have to carry on , where are all these wires from ! .? Hope it all goes back together as easy ! . Have not decided yet on how far I am going with the rebuild , not sure on the playfield , it is in good condition with very minimal wear , new decals on the way from the US. . Plan on painting the interior of cabinet , as I have tried to clen it and it is too soiled , I am also polishing most of the hardware myself , I,ll have arms like Popeyes by time I've, finished , new chrome legs. And a few other bits , keep you all updated . Back panel on back box is swollen , so I will change this out , but would it be better to use ply instead of the original hardboard ?
Backpanel to backbox I would keep to the original MDF. I had this problem on a IJ and had to swap out the panel for new. A few pics of it above.

Back came out pretty easy but it was badly swollen. Not difficult to do if you have the correct tools.
Warning text was screen printed.
If you are close to me its a service I can do for you. You would have to bring the fully restored backbox to me to be done. There are others on the forum as well who offer this service, it all depends where abouts you are located.

Back came out pretty easy but it was badly swollen. Not difficult to do if you have the correct tools.
Warning text was screen printed.
If you are close to me its a service I can do for you. You would have to bring the fully restored backbox to me to be done. There are others on the forum as well who offer this service, it all depends where abouts you are located.
I live in the north east , but we have family in Lancaster , who we are always going across to see , where in Lancashire are you , thanks lee

No worries.
I am pretty busy at the moment but give me a shout when you are at that stage.

Removing swollen backboard , ready for replacement image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgCame out quite easy from the bottom , as this was where it was swollen and the 2boards had already started to separate , a little bit of prising, and it was out

Thinking of this purple for bottom and halfway up cabinet walls on inside , any comments please -yeh or neh ! , thanks lee

Why not go for the traditional "wooden" finish rather than the WoodTech way... ;)

Sorry - Personally I hate refurbished cabs with paint on the bottom - it's not original, and looks awful compared to a nicely sanded cab.. :D

It's too far gone Paul , it is absolutely black on the bottom where it was sat in storage for god knows how many years ,I know their are some traditionalists among us , but I am looking to make it better than when it came out of the factory , and I think the only reason certain bits were not painted at factory was because of cost !they were in it to make money , not make nice things on the inside that you only see when you are fixing it or collecting the money out of the tin! , Just my opinion. Cheers lee

My Wh2o and taf were black too... and here's what happens with a little hard work.... (Wh2o)

wh2ocab.jpg

Just saying - Not to everyone's cup of tea, and obviously how you do your own is up to you, however just showing what can be achieved....(usually minus the Greasy hand print on the lockdown bar!!) with a little work....

My Wh2o and taf were black too... and here's what happens with a little hard work.... (Wh2o)

View attachment 5029

Just saying - Not to everyone's cup of tea, and obviously how you do your own is up to you, however just showing what can be achieved....(usually minus the Greasy hand print on the lockdown bar!!) with a little work....

How did you get it like that? Didn't think you could sand mdf thought it goes all fuzzy if you know what I mean. Not that I need to mine has a shiny new bottom :0)

Random Orbital sander and corner hand sander - Started on 120 Grit, and ended up on 240 Grit...

It is a little fuzzy to the touch, however looks great and since it's not going to be Routed then should be ok. Tempted to give it a light coat of varnish to keep clean, however it would look too different - think i'll just make do with this and then if it gets dirty then I can always use the trusty Dyson ;)

More annoyingly at the moment, I cant find the backboard for the playfield - I put it safe, and now cant find it.... Grrrrr :mad:

I'm with Paul on this and much prefer the bare wood look, but painted can look good if done properly. The purple will be a nice touch.

Back
Top Bottom