What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete TAF, fullish rebuild

Yeh , thanks Paul , I tried last trip home but printer playing up , going to try again , when I get chance , I've just thrown them together for now until I get the wrappers done , that way I should not lose anything o_O

I just love the way you polish bits that won't be seen but this is a really great looking machine and I think if you can do it then go for it.
Keep the pictures coming.

I just love the way you polish bits that won't be seen but this is a really great looking machine and I think if you can do it then go for it.
Keep the pictures coming.
Yes yr right , half of these bits cannot be seen , but the ball guide etc in the trough was pitted and full of dirt , where do you think this dirt will end up if it is not cleaned properly ! On yr playfield causing extra wear and tear. So personally I think it is best to clean every nook and cranny cos the least dirt inside the cab means less chance of dirt /dust etc. going on to the playfield. :thumbs:

image.jpg I've got the common problem of the welding failing on 3 of the kick out pieces of hardware , 1 has had a previous attempt at fixing it with what looks like silver solder! 1has tie wraps holding it together and the last one , the welding has cracked , looks like I,ll be going to my old place of work , where I served my time (no not jail) , before anyone comments , and weld all the offending items up with some TIG gear :cool:

I agree, I took the same bits apart, I just didn't give them a super shine. Polishing out the pits will also make them easier to clean in the future too.
My swamp has the same cracked welds, does it greatly effect the mechanism? It does get held in place when you put it on the table. I was looking at getting several bits welded so might invest in some lessons.

I agree, I took the same bits apart, I just didn't give them a super shine. Polishing out the pits will also make them easier to clean in the future too.
My swamp has the same cracked welds, does it greatly effect the mechanism? It does get held in place when you put it on the table. I was looking at getting several bits welded so might invest in some lessons.
It can rattle a bit and it can throw the ball out in random directions ! Plus if there are some welds cracked it will put strain on the remaining welds. If you are going to get it welded it is best to use a TIG machine , it is good for small work , I imagine if we use a normal mama machine with S.S rods it would be too course and would probably mark the other side of the metal and would look very unsightly . You could braze them together but this would leave a bronze fillet around the repair . The hardest thing is finding someone with a TIG machine :(, luckily I,m in the oil and gas construction business so I have a couple of options to get these parts TIG welded :), if you ever want yours fixing , I should be able to get it done for you

Very kind of you to offer to help and I might take you up on that. I just don't want to be with a working TAF for a while.
If I remember correctly, even the THING kicker on mine is broken and held together with cable ties. That means all three are in need of some work.

Maybe I can justify buying a TIG welder second hand as I can then use it for other things... :rolleyes:

You can convert a normal welding machine into a TIG welder , you just need a TIG torch head , lead and a small bottle of argon . Only difference is it will be a " scratch " start on it instead of the high frequency unit which let's it work with a button start on a proper TIG set

Done a quick clear coat touch up around the out holes to stop any more wear , using spray clear coat sprayed into pot then used a small brush to apply clear coat where it was down to woodimage.jpgThen I done a quick clear coat , ( just a temp measure to stop any more wear and tear , until I do a full playfield refurb ! ) around the bottom half of playfield , especially around the mansion , where the clear coat was getting very thin ,. Should give it a bit more life until I get the courage to do the whole thing :confused:image.jpg beforeimage.jpg image.jpg a small bit of flattening off with my waffle polisher in a day or so , should be good :clap:

Looking nice and smooth, should be fine for a long time with home use.
What are you using to polish the metal with? Fancy doing a tips and tricks video as you appear to be getting a great result?

Back
Top Bottom