What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete TAF, fullish rebuild

Before cleaning image.jpgAfter cleaning , all done apart from the infa red led,s I damaged image.jpgimage.jpg I did not polish this metal , I wire brushed and covered with clear coat ! , wot " did not polish" I hear you say :hmm:

Putting felt on back of hinge so it does not mark paintwork or shiny side rails !image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg Shiny rails and hinges fitted image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg All working now ( except the bookcase led , that I destroyed:mad:). Had to adjust a few switches , all seems good :clap:

Machine was put back together for the weekend , guests again ! . Painted the door and door bolts yesterday and cleaned all the door trim including new menu button decals , does not look much differant , but door had a couple of knocks on the paintwork and rust was starting to come through ,image.jpgBeforeimage.jpgBeforeimage.jpgimage.jpg afterimage.jpg

Black bolts on the coin door look way better imho.
Looking really good! Agree that the black bolt heads look better. What about the other two silver bolt heads on the front, next to the shooter and Start button? Going to black those too?

Also, are the speakers new? They're very shiny. Just wondering if you went mental with the buffer and Autosol because they've gone from being that naff electroplated brassy colour to near mirrored steel.

Looking really good! Agree that the black bolt heads look better. What about the other two silver bolt heads on the front, next to the shooter and Start button? Going to black those too?

Also, are the speakers new? They're very shiny. Just wondering if you went mental with the buffer and Autosol because they've gone from being that naff electroplated brassy colour to near mirrored steel.
Wire brush and quick run around the buffer then some clearcoat on the speakers to keep the shine lasting ! , don,t know about the 2chrome bolts yet , they are not original anyway , I seam to have misplaced some in all the confusion ! :hmm:

Sorry, another question. Just wondering what you use for clearcoat on the bolts? Rattle can? If so, what are you using?

Satin black on the bolts , any c.s. That has been polished I am using this clearcoat below. This is what I used on the temp playfield clearcoat , earlier in the thread image.jpgYr supposed to be looking at the can , not Abbey ! :thumbs:

I think I,ll put complete for now , like I said pf will be refurbed properly later and 2nd set of decals will go on when these get too shabby , just finished tidying up the wires on underside of playfield And finished rebuilding the second set of flippers Before image.jpg image.jpg Before

Now some photos of the finished item image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 2
Great stuff Lee - hope you'll get to play the crap out of it soon.

I'm about 2hrs off finishing a deep clean of my playfield and the associated tunnels, metal, new ramp flaps, rerubbering, minor lighting mods, LEDs where appropriate, etc...

Really enjoyed it, but ready for a few games now.

Sheesh, that is one busy-looking playfield. Remind me never to attempt a TAF restore!

Seriously good job Lee, another great pin has had it's life extended another 10+ years.

Great stuff Lee - hope you'll get to play the crap out of it soon.

I'm about 2hrs off finishing a deep clean of my playfield and the associated tunnels, metal, new ramp flaps, rerubbering, minor lighting mods, LEDs where appropriate, etc...

Really enjoyed it, but ready for a few games now.
That's how mine all started , just a clean ! Then a couple of months later it's finally CLEAN:clap:;)
Yeh played a bit last night , I think it's the first time I have toured the mansion , it gets better and better the more the game goes on , hopefully your enjoying yours soon :clap:

Sheesh, that is one busy-looking playfield. Remind me never to attempt a TAF restore!

Seriously good job Lee, another great pin has had it's life extended another 10+ years.
Thanks Steve, I've still got the playfield to do properly , I just took each bit off individually and cleaned , and done a temp clearcoat on the topside , just to keep the "wear"at bay Until I find the bottle to strip the whole lot , but atleast it will need a lot less work when it is stripped :)

I am using this clearcoat below. This is what I used on the temp playfield clearcoat
View attachment 6243
So much choice so I bought the very same brand off eBay for £4.79 including P&P. I tried "HB body auto clear HS 496 2k clear lacquer 400ml" previously and although it went on well and looked great it took forever to dry and actually still feels "soft" weeks/months later. It's not particularly tough and scratched easily with a finger nail.

I also meant to say really great job on your TAF!!! Great game. My friend has one and it's the only 100% keeper in his collection that also includes CV, TOM, WOZ and W?D. Love the purple insides. I know it doesn't get seen very often but it's great attention to detail. It'll also make it easier to keep clean - dust and grot should Hoover off that shiny paint in a flash.

So much choice so I bought the very same brand off eBay for £4.79 including P&P. I tried "HB body auto clear HS 496 2k clear lacquer 400ml" previously and although it went on well and looked great it took forever to dry and actually still feels "soft" weeks/months later. It's not particularly tough and scratched easily with a finger nail.
This can take a while to harden and go a funny colour if you try and put too much on at once , read the instructions carefully on the can , and follow , some of these only allow another coat after 20 mins to 1hour , After that you have to wait 24 hrs otherwise it reacts ,

got me some fresh coil wraps from here:

http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

be sure to read the copyright text in the frame, open each thing you want in a new window (CTRL + left click) and modify the address in the URL as per the instructions.

I'm taking some coloured paper into work to use the posh laser printer next week!

Thanks guys that's a new website on me - learn something on hear everyday!!!!

F
so what type of paper do you use for the stickers for the lock down bar etc. as that is like a gloss sticky label, and where did you get it from ?

Cheers Kev
or the lockdown bar , I bought a shop out kit , for the coil wrappers I just used normal colour paper . For the light board warning sticker I used photo paper and normal paper , see which one turned out best , the black on mine looked a bit brown because my printer is not very good. So I did one at work on normal paper and laminated it , just brought that home , so need to replace it with the brown looking one , I've, got a few spare shop-out decals if you need ?

decals would be great Lee

Thanks again - when you back home and we can arrange it ?

Kev

Back
Top Bottom