What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Attack from Mars remake

It was but not using stern parts

Yes - but it was still built by Stern. I dont think they have a large enough manufacturing plant to do it themselves. I suppose on a future 'Stern factory visit' on youtube we will see where AFMrm is being assembled.

MMr uses a lot of Williams parts with its own boards underneath to control coils and LEDs. The colour display upgrade is a must.

Yes - but it was still built by Stern. I dont think they have a large enough manufacturing plant to do it themselves. I suppose on a future 'Stern factory visit' on youtube we will see where AFMrm is being assembled.

MMr uses a lot of Williams parts with its own boards underneath to control coils and LEDs. The colour display upgrade is a must.

They said ages ago stern are not building the next machine

Being built by Chicago Gaming - 100% confirmed.

Is it a limited 500 run on le or 1000. 1000 run isn't really that limited is it really.

Latest info here. Pricing might be better than expected.

'Let me try to address a few common questions.

Regarding the delay in announcing pricing on AFM, we want to afford all of our dealers the opportunity to start selling AFM at the same time. The art assets for dealer websites are being distributed early next week which should provide enough time for dealers to complete webpages before the start of TPF. We had somewhat wrongly assumed that dealers would be unable to take orders without pricing. ALL DEALERS ARE PROHIBITED FROM TAKING DEPOSITS BEFORE PRICING HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED.

Pricing and product details will be released at 5pm CST on March 24th. I believe most people will be pleasantly surprised.

Regarding the XL Display,
1) It is in fact exactly the same aspect ratio as the original display.
2) Diagonally, it measures roughly 19” which provides almost twice the viewable area.
3) As for MMR, Athyrio Games was contracted to created all new artwork at 4x the resolution of the original. They did an amazing job.
4) The huge display with the Athyrio graphics is really striking. I’m looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback at TPF.
5) If you don’t like the RGB illuminated speakers, there is an operator setting the allows you to turn the LEDs off.

Chicago Gaming will be assembling the games. In the seventeen years I have been with CGC, Churchill and CGC have assembled over 50,000 arcade games. In addition to our own proprietary products we have done full arcade game assembly for Konomi, Sega, Namco, Global VR and Raw Thrills. Recognizing the unique challenges of pinball assembly, we have spent the last four months setting up our line, designing production fixtures and staffing up with a core of employees with extensive pinball experience.

I don’t think a game can be accurately assessed from a handful of cellphone photos. Please come to Texas Pinball Festival and see for yourself. Even if you don’t come to see AFM, TPF is always a blast! Plus, I’ll buy you a beer if you tell me you like the green trim (you have to seem sincere). I hope to see you in Texas!

--Doug Duba'

Agree with Neil that Cactus Canyon is a very good game. If they do the remake I hope they include the 'Continued' code as that is excellent. The 'Cowboys Vs Aliens' mode is wonderful.

Agree with Neil that Cactus Canyon is a very good game. If they do the remake I hope they include the 'Continued' code as that is excellent. The 'Cowboys Vs Aliens' mode is wonderful.
Yes they must it is very cool with the music :)

Latest info here. Pricing might be better than expected.

'Let me try to address a few common questions.

Regarding the delay in announcing pricing on AFM, we want to afford all of our dealers the opportunity to start selling AFM at the same time. The art assets for dealer websites are being distributed early next week which should provide enough time for dealers to complete webpages before the start of TPF. We had somewhat wrongly assumed that dealers would be unable to take orders without pricing. ALL DEALERS ARE PROHIBITED FROM TAKING DEPOSITS BEFORE PRICING HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED.

Pricing and product details will be released at 5pm CST on March 24th. I believe most people will be pleasantly surprised.

Regarding the XL Display,
1) It is in fact exactly the same aspect ratio as the original display.
2) Diagonally, it measures roughly 19” which provides almost twice the viewable area.
3) As for MMR, Athyrio Games was contracted to created all new artwork at 4x the resolution of the original. They did an amazing job.
4) The huge display with the Athyrio graphics is really striking. I’m looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback at TPF.
5) If you don’t like the RGB illuminated speakers, there is an operator setting the allows you to turn the LEDs off.

Chicago Gaming will be assembling the games. In the seventeen years I have been with CGC, Churchill and CGC have assembled over 50,000 arcade games. In addition to our own proprietary products we have done full arcade game assembly for Konomi, Sega, Namco, Global VR and Raw Thrills. Recognizing the unique challenges of pinball assembly, we have spent the last four months setting up our line, designing production fixtures and staffing up with a core of employees with extensive pinball experience.

I don’t think a game can be accurately assessed from a handful of cellphone photos. Please come to Texas Pinball Festival and see for yourself. Even if you don’t come to see AFM, TPF is always a blast! Plus, I’ll buy you a beer if you tell me you like the green trim (you have to seem sincere). I hope to see you in Texas!

--Doug Duba'
Let's hope the prices are better than expected even with the crap exchange rate like he is saying.

Let's hope the prices are better than expected even with the crap exchange rate like he is saying.

I don't think anything's going to save the UK and Europe ... but I suspect US prices will indeed be much more modest than many have feared.

I don't think anything's going to save the UK and Europe ... but I suspect US prices will indeed be much more modest than many have feared.
Why shouldn't it? If it is cheaper in America it should be whatever the exchange rate is plus duty and shipping. Phil must buy at trade price so it should work out cheaper is he is saying we will be pleasantly surprised. Are but he says most so does that mean America and uk snd europe pay more. I know the uk and Europe pay More due to shipping duty etc but the price should be relative to the us price. We will have to see.

Why shouldn't it? If it is cheaper in America it should be whatever the exchange rate is plus duty and shipping. Phil must buy at trade price so it should work out cheaper is he is saying we will be pleasantly surprised. Are but he says most so does that mean America and uk snd europe pay more. I know the uk and Europe pay More due to shipping duty etc but the price should be relative to the us price. We will have to see.

UK / EU prices are not US prices *1.2 and transport costs. They are significantly in excess of that.

UK / EU prices are not US prices *1.2 and transport costs. They are significantly in excess of that.
I know that but if he is saying the price we are going to be pleasantly surprised with in the us, that should mean it will also be cheaper here.

I know that but if he is saying the price we are going to be pleasantly surprised with in the us, that should mean it will also be cheaper here.

I don't think price has been revised upwards that significantly since the fall in the £ and Euro. But historically, the premium for an MMr in Europe, including the UK, has been way in excess of Sterns.

Guess we'll see.

My expectation / hope is that they have made AFMR cheaper than MMR, which would make sense given:

1: They've done a lot of the tooling for key components, its all about volume now
2: The software/back end of the pinball machine has been done
3: They've made a lot of mistakes that they won't make again.
4: They won't be paying Stern a margin for outsource manufacturing
5: MMR has been a good success for them and they can expect volume orders.

Thus I expect AFRM to not be the hike we might expect it in the UK because the offset of cost reduction above takes away the increase of cost owing to forex. If its under 9K for the LE, I'm in. If its more, probably not and i'll go towards the SE.

Regards,
Neil.

My expectation / hope is that they have made AFMR cheaper than MMR, which would make sense given:

1: They've done a lot of the tooling for key components, its all about volume now
2: The software/back end of the pinball machine has been done
3: They've made a lot of mistakes that they won't make again.
4: They won't be paying Stern a margin for outsource manufacturing
5: MMR has been a good success for them and they can expect volume orders.

Thus I expect AFRM to not be the hike we might expect it in the UK because the offset of cost reduction above takes away the increase of cost owing to forex. If its under 9K for the LE, I'm in. If its more, probably not and i'll go towards the SE.

Regards,
Neil.
Sounds right Neil, if they are doing all the work, it will cost them less. If I was a pinball company and I was them with the quality of mmr and what they have in the future, they could blow stern and everyone else away on price, good price and quality means more sold!

Neil, you are definitely a 'half glass full' type of guy. I hope you're right regarding the pricing.

I try to be :D

The one cost downside that I can think of is the cost to build the assembly line. I doubt that the cost to do that is offset (at least in the first couple of years) by the savings they make from insourcing. However, I think PPS and CGC think more long term (just looking at Martin Ayub's fantastic tour of CGC) so I think they will take a longer term view on amortising the cost of that against individual machine unit cost build which would be the right thing to do IMO; 1: Building an assembly line for MMR would have been very risky if the machine had been a failure (and volumes limited) 2: potentially as CGC get more use to doing the remakes the volume of new machines might grow to more than one so they make have more than one title available (and there are decent number of titles for them to choose from).

Cheers,
Neil.

I think their business model is sound. Some of the 'hard' variables in manufacturing pinball machines have been taken out of the equation. You can pick and choose the best games to re-make based on rarity/popularity and don't have to invest in the design process as you are just making a copy (obviously it's harder than this but you get the point). Technology has moved on so much since some of these originals were made it must be a great business to be in.

Back
Top Bottom