What's new

Expired DMD Led Color DMDMK66 128x32, 192x64, 128x16 manufactured by Pinballsp

Expired Due to no activity
Hi Louis,

Full DMD with all options please. Wifi, Battery, 2nd connector, SD Card etc...

Regards

C

Ok.
DMD full assembled without extras 164 euros + 26 freight cost to France.
Optional extras; WIFI +4 euros, RS232 port +4 euros, Battery holder with 2nd osc. +4 euros, Second ouput for Topper +3 euros, Temp/Hum Sensor +4 euros, micro SD card preconfigured + 8 euros.

So total, 164 + 26 + 27 = 217 euros.
May pay TT or Paypal (pinballsp@gmail.com), if pay paypal to friends/family there are no taxes, if pay standar paypal must add 5% to total.

Is there any way of getting the animations out of the roms for a Stern Monopoly without using pinmame? I only use Apple and it's a pain trying to get it to run properly. Failing taht is there anyone who would be kind enough to rip me the animation texts so I can play with them in the colour editor please?

Hugs n stuff

Courtney

Is there any way of getting the animations out of the roms for a Stern Monopoly without using pinmame? I only use Apple and it's a pain trying to get it to run properly. Failing taht is there anyone who would be kind enough to rip me the animation texts so I can play with them in the colour editor please?

Hugs n stuff

Courtney

If do not want dump animations with Pinmame, then must use Pinball Browser software, this work with Rom file that may download from IPDB.

Pinball Browser is advertised in PInside forums, https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images , there is a free version with limitations and a licensed version with full options.

Seems to be such a headf***k this whole thing. No doubt due to yet another licensing issue. :tut:I've read the whole thread and so far i can tell i need to use both pin2dmd, pinmame AND pinball browser? All of the info seems all over the place.

Any chance of a step by step tutorial? (or a link to step by step info if already done) on how and when to use whichever software for:

1: Colouring frames on williams/bally games (which software/s to use and when)
2: Colouring frames on Stern games (Which software/s to use and when)

I really want to buy one of these but need to understand the colouring process before i do so. Any info is most appreciated.

Seems to be such a headf***k this whole thing. No doubt due to yet another licensing issue. :tut:I've read the whole thread and so far i can tell i need to use both pin2dmd, pinmame AND pinball browser? All of the info seems all over the place.

Any chance of a step by step tutorial? (or a link to step by step info if already done) on how and when to use whichever software for:

I really want to buy one of these but need to understand the colouring process before i do so. Any info is most appreciated.

I'd strongly recommend waiting for Luis' own custom hardware, rather than the one he makes that's compatible with the PIN2DMD software. I suspect it'll be a rather better solution, and it'll have its own software.

Any ETA yet, Luis?

Hello.

About Editor, this is user manual: http://pin2dmd.com/editor/
And this is software to download: https://bintray.com/sker65/pin2dmd/Editor/latest#files

About Pinball Browser, alli information available in Pinside Forum: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images
Download from here: http://tiny.cc/pinballbrowser

When use each one, well, Editor support all Dumps from Pinmame, and PB support Stern SAM and Spike. I think, though I do not have test yet, that there is option already in Pinmame to dump Stern SAM.

With pre configured SD card they will just plug in and work. Amazingly well on a newer Stern.

I've never bothered coding the roms. Just set a palette which takes you an hour to get it right maximum!

Of of course spend over twice the amount on a colordmd.com device. They use exactly the same rgb modules as Luis.

Today testing Kinetis MK64 microcontroller, this is the MCU that will install my new DMD controller board DMDMK64, this will run my own firmware. Today test with a Teensy 3.5 that install just same MK64 microcontroller, so easy to assemble a fast protoboard, compile DMD.RGB firmware and check, work perfect. So this weekend I will send PCB to manufacturer and in one week I will have the first final prototype ready.

About firmware, current support all real pinball except Capcom and Spike. So firts I will add support for Capcom, also for SEGA 192*64, Virtual pinball, and next will be KeyFrame and Editor to may colorize by animations, and finally advanced color frame by frame.

As soon as first firmware version is available I will upload all to this Github site; https://github.com/pinballsp

These are pictures about first test with MK64, I want also check with the faster MK66. These microcontrollers have a very special feature, may read/write a SD card with a fast 4 bit parallel bus, so faster than a conventional SPI SD card (like use Discovery based products), so may be I may use it to store full colorizations by game, frame by frame, at any rate may be I will install optional a 2 Gigabit Flash chip in board to store high resolution full colorization frame by frame for any game.

oi63.tinypic.com_2mrgxn8.jpg

oi64.tinypic.com_rkro0g.jpg

oi65.tinypic.com_ny9348.jpg

oi66.tinypic.com_xeh2fp.jpg

oi66.tinypic.com_ejhobr.jpg

Last edited:
Luis,

You perform some cracking work, have some great designs, and i have a tonne of respect for you. However you have so many boards that i dont know which does what and what the final board will be. As far as i was aware, the Black was your final design. Now you are playing with the MK64, and you are talking about using the MK66...

Why does colordmd work, where all others have failed? Because they have (until very recently) had one standard design, one base firmware (sigma) and built everything on top of it. Yes they have added features, but those have all been on the same board.

Please oh please oh please produce one standard board, and then create firmware for it, and tools etc. Please don't confuse the already confused pinball community by coming up with 6 different boards (as you have over the last year).... else you will scare people away from the great work that is just around the corner.

:)

Paul

Luis,

You perform some cracking work, have some great designs, and i have a tonne of respect for you. However you have so many boards that i dont know which does what and what the final board will be. As far as i was aware, the Black was your final design. Now you are playing with the MK64, and you are talking about using the MK66...

Why does colordmd work, where all others have failed? Because they have (until very recently) had one standard design, one base firmware (sigma) and built everything on top of it. Yes they have added features, but those have all been on the same board.

Please oh please oh please produce one standard board, and then create firmware for it, and tools etc. Please don't confuse the already confused pinball community by coming up with 6 different boards (as you have over the last year).... else you will scare people away from the great work that is just around the corner.

Paul

^^^^ what he said

every time i think about maybe buying one, you changed it again, and i don't want to buy something that's immediately obsolete

Yup.
This is along the same lines of what I was saying regarding having files available for specific games to drop into the display. I don't like the 'nearest palette' approach.

I just want to buy a display (without a myriad of different options like wifi, bluetooth etc) that I can fit into a game, load up a specific colour file for that game and go.
One price, no added options, just plug and play. I'd buy in an instant.

Luis,

Well, really there are only TWO products, DMDST32 that was to run pin2dmd, and my new board DMDMK64 this is to run my own firmware. All before DMST32 boards, green, black and red, are all compatible with pin2dmd, each add new more options, but always all compatible, so really was same product, simply improved with new versions.

Now DMDMK64 is a new project, very different, mainly because now I will develop also my own firmware, so no more dependencies from third party firmware, so not compatible pin2dmd, and so I will add all my new ideas to provide a good product.

Paul

Yes, i's exactly I go do to now with DMDMK64. A standar board developed and manufactured by me, with my own firmware and tools.

Yes, i's exactly I go do to now with DMDMK64. A standar board developed and manufactured by me, with my own firmware and tools.

Luis,
Hate to say it however this was what was going to happen with the first generation (the DMDST32). I understand things change, however am a little sad at this. However, i am excited on the new board :)
Cheers
Paul

Luis,
Hate to say it however this was what was going to happen with the first generation (the DMDST32). I understand things change, however am a little sad at this. However, i am excited on the new board :)
Cheers
Paul

I don't think that's his fault.

The PIN2DMD guys after initially taking code from others and in good faith open sourcing their early stuff, then closed the whole thing down and made it proprietary for version 2, despite incorporating others' work.

They then accused Luis of IP theft when he started this project (something they were accused of), then backed down and said they'd work with him. AFAIK they haven't carried through on the latter at all, hence why Luis is going his own way. Their past behaviour has been pretty unreliable, so it's a good decision, IMO ... and closed software is never a good idea on this kind of thing.

I'm waiting for the MK64 version ... if the software is as good as the hardware, then I suspect this will quickly become a major rival to ColorDMD.

@pinballsp - if I can offer some advice, try to come up with an easy, memorable brand name for your product. Maybe something like 'Vivid DMD' ? People need to be able to recognise and differentiate your product easily when the name is brought up in forums etc.

Last edited:
Luis,
Cheers
Paul

Yes, but history about DMDST32 is not easy, was hard for me. Even I received legal menaces in the begining, because somebody that probably you guess, he thought that I was going to develop my own firmware illegally based on an Open source protected under Creative Common.

This is why, now this new project work with a very different hardware, now microcontroller is a NXP Kinetis. I have start firmware with RGB.DMD, this is with MIT license, so anybody may use it even for commercial applications. Now I may work happy, calm and freely, nobody will may claim that my firmware iis an illegal copy of another product.

I've waited a long time, and I'm already tired to develop and manufacture hardware for third party firmware. They have also copied all my hardware ideas and indirectly they sell it. I do not want apply anymore my ideas (and I have many) for third party firmware products.

This new situation mean I must work harder, now not only I must develop hardware, also I must develop firmware.

I don't think that's his fault.

The PIN2DMD guys after initially taking code from others and in good faith open sourcing their early stuff, then closed the whole thing down and made it proprietary for version 2, despite incorporating others' work.

They then accused Luis of IP theft when he started this project (something they were accused of), then backed down and said they'd work with him. AFAIK they haven't carried through on the latter at all, hence why Luis is going his own way. Their past behaviour has been pretty unreliable, so it's a good decision, IMO ... and closed software is never a good idea on this kind of thing.

Yes, exactly. And even there are more bad behaviors in this long history, but I prefer silence about it, no good people.

I'm waiting for the MK64 version ... if the software is as good as the hardware, then I suspect this will quickly become a major rival to ColorDMD.

Hardware has enough power to do same. 2 Gigabit NAND flash to store full animations (about 8000 frames), and SD interface to read cards with a 4 bit parallel bus, very fast if compare with standar SPI SD that apply STM32 Discovery produts based, I think that may be even may use SD card to store full color animations, though I must test yet.

@pinballsp - if I can offer some advice, try to come up with an easy, memorable brand name for your product. Maybe something like 'Vivid DMD' ? People need to be able to recognise and differentiate your product easily when the name is brought up in forums etc.

Thanks, I will think about it.

The new DMDMK64 board for DMD Multicolor is now ready to ship to factory.

Finally I changed several things from the original design. Now the PCB board do also functions of frame, so remove he methacrylate that made the frame. The PCB is made of the size of the frame to create a more compact device, easy to assemble and reduce the cost a little. I have also improve mechanizing, now may install the power supply directly with plastic separators and screws, also options for 7 Amper and 5 Amper power supply.

The processor has been changed by the more powerful MK66 at 180Mhz, 1Mega Flash memory, 144 pin LQFP.

The board install a 512 Megabyte NOR Flash memory chip, to store fully colored games frame by frame, with a possible color depth of up to 256 colors (at the storage level). This allow store more than 15.000 full colored frames, with a VERY fast access (this is a parallel Flash), not possible to do with a SD SPI card.

The WIFI module used before is replaced by a Bluetooth BLE, this will be to config and UPDATE display wireless. So, I have remove all the switches from board. With Bluetooth will not need remove the DMD to update or config it, you will do it very easily from your cell phone.

Added two 2.4Ghz Radio modules to manage the Topper wirelessly. There is another board that will send by RF the status of all switches, lamps, bumpers and flashers from the pinball CPU, in order to control various types of mods, including the Topper. No wires between Topper and pinball.

This board leaves tomorrow for the factory, and the first prototype will be ready in about one week. Then will add new features to firmware, in the begining will add Capcom and Virtual Pinball, in the next version SEGA 192*64, color by animations and finally advanced color frame by frame.

oi65.tinypic.com_akal95.jpg

oi66.tinypic.com_zvv2ix.jpg

oi68.tinypic.com_282m4u8.jpg

oi63.tinypic.com_sc9uzc.jpg

Last edited:
Out of interest, what would the MK66 allow instead of the MK64 that you went with?

The NOR Flash 512 Megas memory chip to store full colorized animations, requiere 37 IO ports to control it. So finally need at least a 144 pin microcontroller, MK64 is a 100 pin MCU, so need use a 144 pin MK66 MCU. Also MK66 is faster, 180 Mhz, MK64 run at 120 Mhz.

Price difference is not important, only 4 USD, so no problem replace MK64 by MK66. I will check if possible also work with SD card to store full colorized animations to use and replace in real time, I'm not sure if will be enough fast, at any rate with NOR Flash that is a parallel Flash memory chip, sure will be possible.

EDIT: Well I have check, and there is also an MK64 with 144 pin, but price difference is very small, and MK66 is faster (180 Mhz vs 120 Mhz). So, I prefer use MK66, though both 144 pin are full compatible pin to pin, so may install MK64 or MK66 144 pin in same board. I will check both microcontroller when firmware allow apply colorize frame to frame, to see if MK64 may work too.

Last edited:
So you are probably going to use the MK66, so that you can use the NOR Flash?

Yes, MK66 will be probably the final microcontroller in this board.

To may work with a parallel NOR Flash memory chip need a microcontroller with enough IO ports, so need a 144 pin chip. Really MK64 is also available with 144 pin, but price difference is very small with MK66, and MK66 is faster, so better work with MK66. To replace, in real time, frame by frame, for advanced coloring, need a powerful processor, and this MK66 is perfect.

At any rate, when I test SD card, if it is enough fast to run advanced coloring frame by frame, then I will not install the NOR Flash chip. PCB board is same, and do not increase price (of PCB) if I design it with or without the NOR Flash chip. Same for microcontroller, may install MK64 or MK66. I will test all options with same PCB board.

Last edited:

Hello.

This Tuesday, manufacturer will send me the PCB for DMDMK64, so hope receive Friday or Monday. Also I will receive next weekend the Amber filter for DMD, to improve contrast and hide leds.

Meanwhile I have design this wireless controller board. This is a board that capture and read status of all Matrix Switches, Matrix Lamps and all direct outputs (bumpers, flashers, motors, etc...) and send those data wirelessly by WIFI, Bluetooth or 2.4Ghz radio module, board also install a wired CAN bus port (may be to connect to Spike bus, I must check yet).

This will be an universal wireless board to may control any MOD wirelessly if install some of those radio modules. My idea is transmit to MODs with 2.4Ghz radio, and use Bluetooth or WIFI to update and config devices. All my mods or devices will install at least Bluetooth to update/config.

I'm already designing several MODS to work with this board, I hope soon post more information, pictures, features, and when working, also videos about it. As soon as I assemble first prototype about DMDMK64 and test it, I will send this board to manufacturer and I will test wireless options with DMD to update/config, and with Topper to transmit status of all switches, lamps, bumpers, flashers, etc.. to play animations by events.

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_screen19.jpg

What's latency going to be like? That's my only thought.

Also, with regard to the MK64/66 and DMD, whilst I guess they're not available now ... I'm guessing in a year or two it will be possible to get smaller LEDs of the type used in the DMD that are sufficiently reliable and long-life that higher resolution DMDs could be used. Have you thought about if or how it could work with for example a 384x64 LED DMD of the same size?

Back
Top Bottom