What's new

Expired DMD Led Color DMDMK66 128x32, 192x64, 128x16 manufactured by Pinballsp

Expired Due to no activity
fair enough, @pinballsp

think I'll wait for your own version, then. since it looks like it will be definitive.

I'd strongly suggest hosting community made files like Pinsound do on their site, once you're ready to market your new products.

Any idea when your new system and software will be available?

Last edited:

Yes I'm working about it. But because some bad experiences (people that copy my designs after request my help and even try to **** me), now I work in silence, I do not post my new ideas and developments until products are ready to work (same in Pinside forum, I have stop to post).

Im working in my own full system time ago, also with SEGA 192*64 and some new special features that now can not publish yet to prevent me from copying. My system will support Keyframe of course and about it a very powerful system for advanced colorize, but can not detail more information.

Luis,

Sorry to hear about the problems you have had. I completely understand that you do not wish to publish up and coming ideas etc.

However, once these are completed and available, please remember us here :)

Thanks
Paul

I'd strongly suggest hosting community made files like Pinsound do on their site, once you're ready to market their new products.

As i have said before, I am happy to hose these here if it helps :)

fair enough, @pinballsp

think I'll wait for your own version, then. since it looks like it will be definitive.

I'd strongly suggest hosting community made files like Pinsound do on their site, once you're ready to market your new products.

Any idea when your new system and software will be available?

I thik is a good idea may provide a product ready to work by game, full colorized, only must to check if some copyright problem, but I think will be possible. Currently a lot of people order my DMD with SD preconfigured and with color palettes ready to use, so sure most of people prefer product plug and play about all (pinball manufacturer and colors) and not waste time with config.

Do not know yet when I will may offer my new product, hope soon I will release first version, at least when my firmware is ready for SEGA and Gottlieb, and later will add support for Spike and Capcom. I'm also preparing a very special topper.

Last edited:
Luis,

Sorry to hear about the problems you have had. I completely understand that you do not wish to publish up and coming ideas etc.

However, once these are completed and available, please remember us here :)

Thanks
Paul

Yes, sure, I will warn here about news when product is ready to offer. Meanwhile, though I do not like, I must work in silence to avoid give ideas to enemy that only know copy and sell, or another that request my help for new hardware developments and later provide it to their friends/partners that only know copy and sell.

I think the idea of game specific plug and play displays is great. I would buy one for my WPT if it matched the colours that are on the ColorDMD display.

I hope it wasn't anyone here...

Anyways I would love unique annimation colours for Flintstones, Doctor Who etc. I have tried doing them frame by frame but It's the fades between animations I have the problem with.

Courtney

I've still not bought one of these yet but I think as a product it looks superb.

I'll hopefully grab one at some point but right now i'm more focused on getting the playfield back into one piece.

And this is where get 100VAC in Data East pinball (Star Wars, Last Action Hero, etc...), to connect power supply in DMDST32, easy and fast with the two quick splizzers I provide.

i97.servimg.com_u_f97_19_51_27_33_data_e10.jpg

i97.servimg.com_u_f97_19_51_27_33_data_e13.jpg

i97.servimg.com_u_f97_19_51_27_33_data_e14.jpg

Still shocked to see (literally) - no reference to ground wiries when connecting up these switch mode power supplies. One stay wire onn the 100v-240v feed into the power supply, or a faulty PSU and BAMM ! you will be shocked. If you have to - strip a mains flex, take out the green/yellow cable and put it onto one of the ground points in the backbox.

I hope it wasn't anyone here...

Anyways I would love unique annimation colours for Flintstones, Doctor Who etc. I have tried doing them frame by frame but It's the fades between animations I have the problem with.

Courtney

I just stick a 'palette' and dont bother with anything else. It is a waste of time sitting behind your computer spending hours doing animation frame by frame - and then it doesnt really look like that when you get it on the game as the LED colours are different.

The other issue is Bally/William DMD games only have four colours - off, 33%, 66% and 100% - so it makes things limited. Its much better on things liek the new sterns.

These devices are great - the pain in the backside is all the bulls hit about registering the device and getting firmware on it (which Luis can now do - the firmware not registration).

I too think Luis should work on his own design using the push buttons on the back to set the formate (Visual pin/Bally/Stern/Capcom etc) - and use wifi to set colour palettes via an amp or computer....

Come on Luis - your a clever man!

Well, technically there's no reason why software couldn't be written where you could replace the dots with which ever colours you liked, and as many as you liked, or even change the dots ... but it would take a while to colour.

How many shades do Capcom games have? Was it 6 or 8? I don't think it's 4.

DMDST32 DUAL Edition Red baord; New version of the controller for multicolor DMD.

Include many new features, performance improvements and fixes. Like previous versions (green and black), this is the only ALL in one controller board for DMD Led.

The new version named DUAL Edition, with red board, to differentiate them from before versions.

New features:

1.- The DUAL option allows you to add dual input or output connectors to connect a topper. With twice the output connector, you can connect and configure a topper in "mirror" mode, so that the topper displays the same as the DMD, but a double size (panels P5). Using the input connector, double the connection for another topper with DMD or controller board. Im prepareing a full topper with P5 led panels, main frame and amber filter, ready to work, and with a new feature never seen before (I will speak about it when available).

2.- Improved connections WIFI module, also include 2 jumpers to allow program WIFI module directly, so do not need use loaders in microcontroller and allow faster update.

3.- Optional may install in board a 3 pin temperature/moisture sensor for use with topper.

4.- Improvment X; This improvement not yet can comment, because I have to try it, is something that can improve the quality of animations, this weekend I have to assemble a lot of DMD with the new DUAL board and I can try, I will upload photos about the new DMD and will detail this new feature.

For orders contact by email pinballsp@gmail.com, Whatsapp +34 693 344 445, Facebook messenger https://www.facebook.com/Pinballsp

Price DMD full assembled, keep same 164 euros + freight cost. Optional WIFI, RS232 port, Battery holder with 2nd osc, Dual connector for topper, micro SD preconfigured, Remote power supply.

vpuniverse.com_forums_attach_monthly_2016_11_13584999_10715369bb16a1b946a3618b9b841ab332ad0998.jpg

i1.pinside.com_e_e4_ee4235df84d540fef002026d6e39f78d5091b7de_rfeae4203d0862b7edee29839dd2464de.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_du11.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_du13.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_du10.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_du15.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_du12.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_du14.jpg.

Last edited:
The sooner you work on your own firmware instead of Pin2DMD the better!

Yes, I know, you are 100% right, I'm working about it, also for SEGA 192x64 displays.
As soon as available I will adversite it, now I prefer work in silence about it, because my firmware add new features and I do not want that competitors copy it.

Going to be ordering one of these soon !

Thank you.
Currently all DMD I assembled, all will be with the new DUAL Edtion red board. And my topper will be full developed by me (hardware and firmware), with a very special feature never seen before (again I must keep silence to avoid competitors copy)

Can someone explain these to me in Laymans terms? I want a colour DMD for my TAF but don't won't to spend £399. These are less than half the price but how much effort will it be? Can you just plug and play?

Are there going to be any options to upgrade from a black to a red?

Replace green or black boards by new DUAL Red, is interesting only if you want add a Topper, though there is a new feature (X Feature) that I must test yet, if this new feature work then will improve quality of animations and may interest to replace before boards even if do not want add topper. I will keep informed about test for X Feature, I must assemble DMDs this weekend and will may check it.

New DUAL Red board is available to order alone, for all that ordered before a full assembled DMDST32.

Can someone explain these to me in Laymans terms? I want a colour DMD for my TAF but don't won't to spend £399. These are less than half the price but how much effort will it be? Can you just plug and play?

Well, these DMD (with pin2dmd firmware) allow multicolor, in three ways.

1.- Basic color: simply replace automatically brighness levels by colors. Here you only may select colors (16 for SAM and Spike, 4 for rest of pinballs). The game keep same colors in all animations. This is plug and play. For some games its enough and very good look, for example teste in Attack from Mars, Medieval Madness or Theatre of Magic, very good look thoug only play 4 colors.

2.- Medium advanced color: you may edit dump of animations and apply palete colors by animation, so for example for your TAF you may apply several sets of 4 colors different for each animation. But you must to do it, dump, edit and apply colors, this save special file that store in SD card.

3.- Advancend color: here you may apply 16 colors frame by frame, this is the best quality similar to colorDMD, but you must to do it. Also like in medium advanced color, you must dump and edit animations, then apply colors by frame (up to 16). I know there are available some patched Roms full colorized for some SAM pinballs, and some people is working to do it with more pinballs, but currently you will must to do manually for most of games. Maybe after some time if people share their advanced color files, will be available for most games. When my own firmware is available I wil do it for all games, then all will be free and available, but for current pin2dmd I do not do it, I prefer work with my own firmware to offer advanced options ready to work.

All information about how apply advanced colors, is here in this post, with all information and links to download software to edit dumps.

Hey Luis,

Nice to see that you continue to work on this.

As you're continuing to revise the existing boards does that mean you've given up on doing your own proprietary board set to go with your software, and will just replace pin2dmd with your software instead?

Also, given how quickly you're revising these, how quickly before hardware is final?

Re: software, I hope you make the UI as intuitive and 'noob' friendly as possible. The more people doing colouring the better. If it isn't immediately obvious what something does, then hovering the mouse over it and a bubble popping up to explain what it does would make the process much less intimidating for a lot of people. Also, if it can work on OS10 and Linux too, I'm sure that would help ... lots of geeks don't like Windows :D If the colouring tool could work on Android, that would be brilliant .... on a train or a plain, bored out of your mind, laying on the sofa waiting for dinner to cook ... you could do some colouring.

I guess the new feature is some kind of advanced brightness control for fade in / out to make it smoother, if you say it improves animation.

Hey Luis,

Nice to see that you continue to work on this.

As you're continuing to revise the existing boards does that mean you've given up on doing your own proprietary board set to go with your software, and will just replace pin2dmd with your software instead?

Hello.

I'm working also with my MK64 board and my own firmware, but also I thought about develop it with Raspberry Pi 3. Just yesterday I was reviewing design and add a special chip (a TSOP48 in top left). MK64 is practically ready to work, and this include a very important feature, add a 2 Gigabit Flash chip to store full colorized animations (about 8000 full colorized frames, a pinball has about 2000-3000 frames).

This picture is about MK64, I must add and remove some components yet, but practically it is ready to send to manufacturer. Its very similar to DMDST32, except the 2 Gigabit Flash memory chip (in top left) and microcontroller is a Kinetis MK64 or MK66 instead of a STM32. Probably I will remove topper components, because I have a better idea to do a topper, so probably I will remove battery holder, temp/hum sensor and serial port, and will add a new component to do a topper with better features.

oi68.tinypic.com_rtow1l.jpg

Also, given how quickly you're revising these, how quickly before hardware is final?

Current DMDST32 hardware is final version. I have manufacture DUAL version because I was out of stock about Black PCB, so to send to manufacture a new batch I sent this revision I made time ago. I will continue manufacturing DMDST32 until MK64 is ready and at least with similar features. Current firmware for MK64 support all manufacturers, except Spike and Capcom, I have here a Capcom CPU and with my Logic Analizer I think will be easy add to firmware, and about Spike I suspect is same or similar to SAM, a friend with a Ghostbusters will help me to get data signals to add to firmware.

Re: software, I hope you make the UI as intuitive and 'noob' friendly as possible. The more people doing colouring the better. If it isn't immediately obvious what something does, then hovering the mouse over it and a bubble popping up to explain what it does would make the process much less intimidating for a lot of people. Also, if it can work on OS10 and Linux too, I'm sure that would help ... lots of geeks don't like Windows :D If the colouring tool could work on Android, that would be brilliant .... on a train or a plain, bored out of your mind, laying on the sofa waiting for dinner to cook ... you could do some colouring.

I do not have a lot of experience with Linux, and with Android I'm developing currenlty a mod with Java for Creature and for TZ. I will check how compile VC++ or similar under Linux, and for Android/Java no problem, I may do it.

If people want help and do betatester functions sure all will may develop faster. The best is provide product with full colorized games ready to work, but its a lot of work.

I guess the new feature is some kind of advanced brightness control for fade in / out to make it smoother, if you say it improves animation.

No, its not about brightness.
I will check this weekend and will inform along next week, if this new feature work.

Last edited:
Sounds good.

I'd urge you to wait to release your MK64 version until you feel both hardware and software are mature enough that major revisions won't be needed.

I'd be happy to test software. Particularly Android ... I think being able to work on a tablet or phablet would be of significant appeal to a lot of people. Using a few spare minutes fairly often seems much less onerous than sitting down at your computer for hours once or twice a week.

Sounds good.

I'd urge you to wait to release your MK64 version until you feel both hardware and software are mature enough that major revisions won't be needed.

MK64 Hardware is ready for DMD, and for topper I will develop another board with different features. I think, share same board for DMD and for Topper is not a good idea like happen now with DMDST32, really both are very different and need very different features, so its a mistake develop only one board for both functions.

And about firmware, I start from RGB.DMD firmware already tested and working for most manufacturers, only need add Capcom, Spike, virtual pinball and advanced color features with Keyframe, I will may provide updates in a Github to download for free, no problem about it. My board will not update by USB, but by Sd card, so simply download update file, load in SD card and put in board to update it. In the begining will work like now DMDST32 with basic colors, 16 for SAM/Spike, 4 colors for rest of manufacturers. I hope soon will add Key Frame, its not hard.

I'd be happy to test software. Particularly Android ... I think being able to work on a tablet or phablet would be of significant appeal to a lot of people. Using a few spare minutes fairly often seems much less onerous than sitting down at your computer for hours once or twice a week.

May be a good idea, develop animations editor to run under Android, its Java and I think same Java source code may be compiled for Windows or Linux, I will check.

New DUAL Edition Red controller board already available, tested and working 100%. Tomorrow start to ship the first batch of DMD Led Color with this new controller board.

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmdst310.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmdst311.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmdst312.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmdst313.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmdst315.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmdst314.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmdst316.jpg

Sounds good.

It's crying out for a version on an iPad with an Apple Pencil.

It's crying out for a version on an iPad with an Apple Pencil.

Sure, but reason I didn't mention it and I'm assuming Luis didn't either is that Apple's walled garden would likely require a total rewrite in another language using different tools. As he hints at, porting from PC to Android ought to be a formality, excepting UI adaptation.

Also, if someone's determined to colour a game and hasn't got an Android device, the barrier to entry is less than €100 for an ok tablet ... Apple ...?

A stylus isn't really necessary though. Finger should be fine as it's dots.

So how much is a fully loaded board with all options?

Hello Courtney.

Do you want only the controller board to replace before version, or a full assembled DMD ??.
Full asembled DMD same price than before version (164 euros without extras, + freight cost), only the controller board with all options installed 68 euros + freight cost.

Freight cost:
France and European countries (except Spain and Portugal), 26 euros by courier with tracking (up to 3 Kg).
Spain and Portugal 7 euros.
USA and Canada 49 Euros up to 0.5Kg, 69 euros up to 3Kg.

Luis. I think it would be a great move for you to get some people colouring games and make the files available on your site.
Perhaps hand out a couple of sample displays to people who have the talent and time (certainly not me :().

Luis. I think it would be a great move for you to get some people colouring games and make the files available on your site.
Perhaps hand out a couple of sample displays to people who have the talent and time (certainly not me :().

Hello.

Yes, I want to do it, and I have also many more ideas (hardware and software), but all will be with my new product DMDMK64. So with hardware and firmware, all developed by me, no problem to develop new ideas and services.

Now I'm testing new hardware, currently support all pinball except Capcom, Spike and Virtual pinball. Capcom and Virtual will be easy to add, and about Spike I suspect is similar or compatible SAM, a friend will check in his machines.

Back
Top Bottom