What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expired DMD Led Color DMDMK66 128x32, 192x64, 128x16 manufactured by Pinballsp

Expired Due to no activity

Yes, there is a USB mini B connector for virtual pinball, the same that I installed in DMDST32. I will check for next revision if may replace it by larger USB connector.

Yes, there is a USB mini B connector for virtual pinball, the same that I installed in DMDST32. I will check for next revision if may replace it by larger USB connector.

I think this would be better for a decent connection. The PinDMD3 uses a normal size B connector. I noticed on all Pin2DMD boards the mini one is present.

The micro/mini connectors are very weak internally and are difficult to replace by most people without good soldering skills.

Also with your new software is a SD card used? Is there no way that certain information can not be transfered via wifi or USB and stored on some kind of flash memory internally. After moving one of my games with one of the original design boards on it, the SD card fell out and it was hard to find - luckily it was in the bottom of the cabinet.

Just throwing you some ideas in to help develop the product.

I bet all the Pin2DMD guys now will want an internal power supply built in!

I think this would be better for a decent connection. The PinDMD3 uses a normal size B connector. I noticed on all Pin2DMD boards the mini one is present.

The micro/mini connectors are very weak internally and are difficult to replace by most people without good soldering skills.

I have modify design already, now with a stronger USB B connector, tomorrow I will send new design to manufacturer, I have warn that STOp production.

Also with your new software is a SD card used? Is there no way that certain information can not be transfered via wifi or USB and stored on some kind of flash memory internally. After moving one of my games with one of the original design boards on it, the SD card fell out and it was hard to find - luckily it was in the bottom of the cabinet.

Just throwing you some ideas in to help develop the product.

Yes, sure, there is a lot of storage, Microcontroller Flash Memory or external NOR flash, may use it to store DMD config. SD probably will use only to update device.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have modify design already, now with a stronger USB B connector, tomorrow I will send new design to manufacturer, I have warn that STOp production.

I assume you're just doing protos ... I'd wait for further testing / feedback and perhaps getting further with your software before getting a production batch done. Don't want too many revisions (like the ST32).

I assume you're just doing protos ... I'd wait for further testing / feedback and perhaps getting further with your software before getting a production batch done. Don't want too many revisions (like the ST32).

Yes, all these are prototypes, I order only 5 units to test it. I thought was good idea replace USB connector and add switched DC-DC to become 100% plug and play, do not need external power supply, but connect directly to original connectors of DMD, so one connector for data and one connector to get power supply from pinball.

So I remove the external power supply this become the DMD more compact, lighter, 100% plug and play and also reduce the cost of product (remove power supply, remove the L shape piece to fix power supply to DMD, remove cables and terminals, and assemble will be faster and easier for me)

Just to say I replaced a Stern LED DMD with one of your Pin2DMD boards you sent.

It does not need the external power supply. It runs fine off the machines 5v supply.

I had display set at 30% brightness and it's perfect.

Just to say I replaced a Stern LED DMD with one of your Pin2DMD boards you sent.

It does not need the external power supply. It runs fine off the machines 5v supply.

I had display set at 30% brightness and it's perfect.

Thanks for information, thats good.

Though in some pinball connect directly to 5v may be a problem, because may reset the CPU, mainly in Bally/Williams. So my new design connect to 12v and convert to 5v with a switched DC-DC. When I assemble a prototype I will send it to a friend that has many pinballs, because he repair professionally, so will know if work fine with all pinball manufacturers, then when confirm I will sell all DMD without external power supply, and 100% plug and play.

At any rate DMDMK64 yet may install also external power supply, may be interest for Virtual Pinball, or offer it optional if somebody want it with power supply like current DMDST32.

Replace mini B USB connector by a stronger USB B. This PCB version already in manufacturer, will receive in about one week.

Working to add new pinball manufacturer to firmware. Logic Analizer data from DMD signals; Star frame, Start Line, Jump Line, Clock Data, Data.

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_screen28.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_screen27.jpg

Last edited:

I receive already the new PCB board for DMDMK64 prototype, this add switched DC-DC to remove external power supply and CAN bus with RJ45 connectors. These are pictures about the three boards I manufacture currently to do DMD Multicolor, also soon I will release the SEGA 192*64 DMDMK64 based.

First firmware version for DMDMK64 will be avaible soon, probably for the begining of January, also I think SEGA 192*64 will release for same date.
Small RED board, will be available until out of stock, then only will manufacture big boards, these do not need add acrylic frame and if need external power supply may fix to board with screws and spacers , so also remove the acrylic piece to attach the power supply.

Testing to remove external power supply, to becomse all my DMD 100% plug and play, with the two orignal pinball connectors. At any rate if must keep external power supply, current 5V 7A will be replaced by 5v 5A, tested work fine, its smaller, lighter and more compact.

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_0015.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_0016.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_0018.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_0017.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_0021.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_0019.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_0020.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_0021.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_0022.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_0110.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_0111.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_0112.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_0113.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_0114.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_0115.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_0117.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_0116.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_0119.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_0118.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_0210.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_0211.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dmd_0212.jpg

Came up in conversation recently ... would it be possible (with suitable interface) to potentially replace the LCD on a BoP 2.0 (which emulates 128x32 dots) with one of these?

Came up in conversation recently ... would it be possible (with suitable interface) to potentially replace the LCD on a BoP 2.0 (which emulates 128x32 dots) with one of these?

That seem a custom development, to check it need technical information. I have look for it at IPDB but there is no data. If original product is based on a standar plasma DMD may be, but if its base on TFT display then no possible.

May you provide some technical data, schematic, or full features about it ??, then I may see if possible replace.

That seem a custom development, to check it need technical information. I have look for it at IPDB but there is no data. If original product is based on a standar plasma DMD may be, but if its base on TFT display then no possible.

May you provide some technical data, schematic, or full features about it ??, then I may see if possible replace.

Is it really worth it for BOP Mk2 when only a few people may buy it?

It would need some kind of custom stuff. It is a laptop LCD like ColorDMD.

Not sure it would be commercially viable. Was more curious than anything.

Just wish they'd gone with an LED DMD as they went for simulated dots. Would have looked a lot better IMO. The LCD is quite washed out.

@ducks - I think they should of gone for proper graphics and not simulated dots.... You could fit a smaller LCD screen into your game (even out of sight) and use dmdext extensions to mirror that display (which is what I do on visual pinball for Cactus canyon continued). It would all depend on what OS BOPv2 runs on (I guess linux) and having to mess about with the software. Could take you hours/days/months to get it to run properly.

Windows, as needs pinmame for 1.0

Most of the animations in BoP are high res 3D renders .. they're then downscaled and dot-ised. Doesn't make much sense to me.

New and I think last prototype of the board for the DMDMK64.

The bad thing about thinking so much and giving so many laps to a project, is that you constantly come up with improvements and additions, but I think this is already the final version to bring to market the first version of DMDMK64. In the pictures attached, you can see the new power supply that can install the board. A very small and compact 5v 4A, more than enough to handle the panel and the controller.

This power supply is directly soldered to the board, there is no need to wire from the power supply to the board, and the AC input goes into the board with a 5mm 2-pin to screw connector, although the cable could also be welded directly.

The wiring of the panels does not go to the power supply, now they are welded directly under the board, so that it is completely hidden, with a cleaner and more professional appearance.

This board also installs a 5-ampere DC-DC switched controller, so you can connect the DMD 100% plug and play, using the voltage supplied by the pinball through the original connectors. It is something I have yet to prove, but it almost certainly should work. In addition it adds one or two supercapacitors to avoid reset to the CPU, in case of high peak consumption, something unlikely. This supercapacitor system can also solve any problem of CPU resetting that may be suffering pinball, so it has a dual utility if someone has thought of replacing their old plasma DMD with a new one Multicolor DMD and also solve problems of CPU reset, this is the product.

We started 2017, and I think that already this month of January, I will be able to present a functional version of the DMDMK64, fix prices and options.

oi63.tinypic.com_s18cx5.jpg

oi68.tinypic.com_244xnat.jpg

oi63.tinypic.com_2rohzz5.jpg

oi66.tinypic.com_mkb1na.jpg

oi65.tinypic.com_2zggq6w.jpg

Sure you don't want to go for the slightly more powerful MK66?

This install a MK66 MCU, though product name keep DMDMK64, but really install a MK66 microcontroller, 180Mhz, 144 pin. May be I change name, this is yet a prototype, but processor will be sure a Kinetis MK66.

This is the last DMDST32 I have develop, and will be the last I will manufacture.

Big PCB board, all in one, new design. The PCB board acts as a frame, the methacrylate frame of previous versions disappears. Replaced the small USB connector, for a larger and more robust one.

The power supply is now integrated and welded directly on the PCB boar, it is a very small, light and compact model. It does not need cables between power supply and board, nor the fixation part of the power supply to the board of previous model. The AC cable now comes straight from the board, with a 2-pin screw connector to be able to remove and lay the cable quickly.

The board allows to install an amber filter to improve the contrast and hide the Led.
The final product is much lighter and more compact than previous versions. This will be the only model I will make of DMDST32, until I starts with DMDMK64 production.

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_sin_ty13.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_sin_ty12.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dsc_0016.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dsc_0015.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dsc_0014.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dsc_0017.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dsc_0112.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dsc_0113.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dsc_0214.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dsc_0215.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dsc_0216.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_dsc_0217.jpg

i37.servimg.com_u_f37_19_51_27_33_sin_ty14.jpg

Looks very good - BUT what happens if you want to supply it with either 12v or 5v (say for visual pinball). Some new sterns only have 5v supply. They no longer have all the other dmd voltages? Will it take 230v directly?

Also what is the cost?
Thanks Luis - nice work!

Looks very good - BUT what happens if you want to supply it with either 12v or 5v (say for visual pinball). Some new sterns only have 5v supply. They no longer have all the other dmd voltages? Will it take 230v directly?

Also what is the cost?
Thanks Luis - nice work!

Hello.

This DMDST32 install a small power supply, so may connect directly to AC from 80 to 250VAC, no problem to install in real or virtual pinball. Price for this current version is 179€ + freight cost. There are some optional extras; WIFI +6€, Amber filter +19€, micro SD card preconfigured +9€, RS232 port +8€, Topper connector +6€.

Also I'm preparing a plug and play version for real pinball, I must to check if may work directly from original supply connector or need provide a 2 wires cable to connect to 12V from Driver board.

One feature I forgot to mention;

This new DMDST32 (big board), is also ready for 100% plug and play without external power supply, so with a custom cable 3 pin to 4pin (for Bally/Williams), may connect directly without external power supply. I'm preparing custom cables by manufacturer, so for pinball real, will not need connect to 100VAC with clips, but simply connect a cable from DMD to Driver board to get 12VDC and convert to 5VDC with the switched DC-DC that may install this new board.

And price keep same, 179 Euros full assembled + freight cost. There are some optional extras like Amber filter and some more.
More information in my facebook https://www.facebook.com/Pinballsp

I warn about this feature (100% plug and play ready), to avoid that later some "competitors" say that I have copy ideas from another, when its JUST on the CONTRARY, there is "people" that copy my designs and ideas.

New design, practically ready to send to factory next Monday. DMDMK66 192x64 Multicolor. In this case it is a Multicolor DMD LED compatible SEGA 192x64 that install Baywatch, Batman for Ever, Frankenstein, Maverick.

This DMD is 100% Plug and Play, no external power supply needed, no custom cables to connect, just remove the original DMD, and connect the new DMDMK66 192x64. Install the powerful Kinetis MK66 processor, 180Mhz, 1Mb Flash, 144 pin TQFP chip. ALL in one big PCB board, do not need any acrylic frame, the best professional look, time ago I stop to design small PCB + acrylic bracket, current with big PCB is the best solution.

Optional extras:
=================
1.- Amber filter to improve the contrast and hide the LEDS.
2.- USB or CAN bus, to connect and control a high resolution Topper, with custom animations. It will also allow connect to matrix controller board to read all switches and ouputs status, to activate custom animations in Topper display.
3.- WIFI; To configure and upgrade wirelessly, from the cell phone.
4.- Bluetooth; Same functions as the WIFI.
5.- 2.4Ghz Radio, to wirelessly trigger a high resolution Topper (no cables between DMD and Topper).
6.- 512Mb flash memory chip to store full colored games in advanced mode.
The price will fix it as soon prototype assembled and tested, this will be cheaper Multicolor DMD 192x64 solution on the market.
I'm working just now also with design of DMD 128x16, and hope send both to factory next Monday.

i58.servimg.com_u_f58_19_51_27_33_screen11.jpg

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing that.

I'm designing it just now. It's the smaller but the most complex. In theory it should be more expensive than the 128x32 because install the video controller (based on Z80 processor), but I will try to offer the same price or just a little higher.

Back
Top Bottom