What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Williams - Travel Time

At mother in laws now for a roast... will do tonight when home, although hopefully going to the local for a pint with a friend, it's been one of those weeks :p

If the game over relay unit looks like the above, to reset it push over plate in the direction of green and the nylon switch actuator plate should pop up in the direction of red.
Try turning the game on after unlatching it and see if it latches.
If it does latch, try resetting the relay again and stick a bit of card in the blue area. This should trick some of the game into thinking the machine has credit and time so you should get some life.
Be ready to power off though :)

OK..

De latched prior to turn on

F0FD2A72-5910-4C2F-98CF-2AA23C56E5BC.jpeg

At power on it does not latch

2F771E5F-524F-4F2E-A9F9-9AB007D3C101.jpeg

That still didn’t start a game even with it unlatched.

On the replay reel I just want to make sure thi isn’t right....

I’ve jumpered the top two to make it think it has a game, the third wire down (or should be but is now first) would usually contact at zero position but there is no continuity now as there is no wire there. It is also open.

The following four wires are contacting in two pairs.

E6B47A79-5B9B-4A15-8B38-AEF4D3305387.jpeg

Jumpered wires are top two.

C90D86EB-60A6-475A-834D-695FE2027E0A.jpeg

On startup the zero position relay locks on.... however - display has a score on it....

57D15FC6-2215-4AE5-9A8F-4BC5610C77DF.jpeg56CD2AB9-E29C-49E9-B4AD-E0E8108834D6.jpeg

Manually actuating the zero score relay

53686DD3-64BE-48B0-AEB5-67AB70C04D13.jpeg

Does reset all reels to zero

OK, push the game over relay down to latch it, opposite direction to the red arrow and see if it unlatches on power up.
All you said above, shorting the switch, zero relay etc indicate that the game over relay should unlatch when you power on. If it does we can look further down the schematic.

Last edited:
This is what I would look at next... With power on, so please be really careful as 240v is going through some of these parts.
Do you have 24v between yellow and black wires ?
Is the coin relay energised and closed ?
Is the outhole relay energised and closed ?
Is switch B on score reel 4 closed ?
Is the zero position relay energised and closed ?
What state is switch D in on score reel 3 ?

Hey @Moonbus

Do you have 24v between yellow and black wires ? I cannot logcally see where to test between these two - I mean christ. Is it across this, plus I don't even know what this is. I
looked at the schematic and tried to find a simple route, I just cannot read the F'ing thing for love nor money.

Is the coin relay energised and closed ? No

Is the outhole relay energised and closed ? No

Is switch B on score reel 4 closed ? YES

Is the zero position relay energised and closed ? YES

What state is switch D in on score reel 3 ? Closed

The only place I can see a black and yellow wire to test is here...

E44FB1AC-3EFA-4C1E-8653-B9399FCA9AD5.jpeg

Score Reels

1FACA6C9-4CAD-406D-AA99-CA41FEDF0102.jpeg

2D416A8B-3970-4A2D-B2B5-35BEFD9DA3A0.jpeg

I made one of these up though. That I can do.

463C7796-F004-4B52-978E-A5283EBAF42A.jpeg

Yeah, it takes a while to see what you are looking for, it's like the matrix.

There should be a main fuse of 15a with a black wire coming from it, this black wire goes to all the coils.

The yellow is the like the ground and will go to most of the relay switches.

I'm 99% sure nothing will work unless the out hole switch is closed. I tape it up so I can have the playfield up.

Think I mightn’t have just had a durrr moment.... when I adjusted the hold it took the black wires out which were daisy chained previously... well that isn’t happening now is it...

F18F3CE8-37E1-4339-B6E5-31B254C6352D.jpeg

it goes through a full reset now, including scores to start a game, the clock mech isn;t loading tme up though, it is trying, so i will take that off and clean now.

so none of the relays have power ?
Should the two black wires be connected to the braid line linking all the other relays ?

The photo of you holding the black wires shows the braded line just dangling on the coil above the missing hold relay

Whenever all is lost, including your hair, the simplest of solutions comes along.... you got to love this hobby

Thank you so much for your help though @Moonbus - couldn't have done it without your help.

Now I need to work out why the score motor is just running, even when the scores zero down and is doesn't add any time to get it into ball serve state.

No probs, I dont have the space to trouble shoot mine at the moment so this is the most pinball fun I have.

Have you taped the outhole switch closed ?

I did yes (well I croc clipped it actually), but tried it with the hood down and a ball in. Didn't make any difference, I think it is the clock reset that is causing the issues - I think it was "trying" to go.. but wasn't getting anywhere, I will go again tomorrow - I am kind of excited and tired with it right now. Might go play some TWD to celebrate.

I'm loving this thread. Really makes me want to cut my teeth on my first em restore.

You're doing great James. Dont get fed up with it, I want to see it playing again!! You're bringing it to pinfest right?

If I bring it to Pinfest someone else can take it home :p bloody thing...

So... stripped down and cleaned and adjusted up the clock mech. We now have this on startup.

The continuation of the score motor seems to start the outhole bank going only, this happens when the outhole switch is closed, the game still doesn’t function if the ball is out of the outhole although the score motor stops running, the outhole arm to put the ball in the shooter lane isn’t firing. Will investigate schematic shortly.

Have you taken the jumper off the out hole switch?

If not that knocking is the out hole kicker trying to eject the ball

I have tried it yes, that kocking is the outhole bank of switches under the play field energizing over and over, the outhole kicker is not energising to feed a ball to the shooter lane.

Sorry, im high on epoxy gluing a piggy back back together.

Remember earlier in this thread I mentioned testing the continuity on the out hole switch. It should be an isolated switch, if there is continuity even when it's obviously open then the outhole relay will lock on and the game will be stuck in ball eject mode.

Back
Top Bottom