What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Williams - Travel Time

This shouldn’t be buzzing....
I'm not sure the purpose of the Outhole SW continuity test but with an EM you're likely buzzing out the circuit back through the transformer windings. Everythings connected to everything!

Just out of interest, even if the game isn't working, but I push the 2,000 point relay, it should add 2,000 points right?

Not sure if its right - looks right as the impulse is usually off most of time and switches then swithes on for a short period of time. Whereas the other reels often work the other way around. Just look at the profile of the plastic on each one - you see the impluse is shallow with sticking out knobbles whereas the others are not shallow and with dints taken out of them - so they work the opposite way round. Hope that makes sense.

Yes they can and do get misaligned, have you got a leaf switch adjustment tool - its the best way to adjust them. Using pliars or a screwdriver is the wrong way to do them.

I still refer you back to this circuit with the Replay button in it - as you can see the replay buttom will only activate the COIN RE coil IF all the 3 other switches in the circuit are closed. Those 3 are (from left to right) - Switch A on the Index reel of the score motor, then the switch on the GAME RE an then the switch on the Replay (credit) unit - zero position switch (i.e. this switch must be closed - meaning you have at least one credit on the reel).

Rather than testing out all these to start with, I'd cheat first and manually engage the COIN Relay and see if it starts a game? if it does then we know one of these switches is at fault. If it doesn't then the problem lies elsewhere.

Funny I was just looking at that on the schematic. Yes they can be out off alignment due to years of wear.

In your pic above is it the top set of switches with the groove worn in the actuating arm?

So I have manually set the replay unit to free play by soldering the NO switch wires together to make the game think there is always credits.

I add scores onto the game..

I turn the game on...

The game displays game over...

I manually adjust the COIN RELAY.

The clock goes to zero, but the scores do not reset.

No joy on the game. Flippers etc.

I am sure that manually adding points by a pont scoring relay should add points in or out of a game no?

I am sure that manually adding points by a pont scoring relay should add points in or out of a game no?
The score value relays are on the Red feed, the necessary switches on the Reset RE and Game Over RE must both be closed for this to be powered

That's good progress then - you manually adjust the coin replay and its trying to start a game, its not just quite getting there.

No I dont agree with your final question - the scores dont start working until the reset relay has disengaged and the game over relay has also disengaged - so another thing to look
This is the part of the schematic
see that the red wire that controls scores, flippers and a whol host of other stuff, needs tp get connected to the black wire above and that only happens when the 2 relays I mention are both off power.

Ok - I have to call it a night tonight - you guys are seriously awesome, it’s not full time just yet, but I might only get an hour tomorrow, so bloody unlikely to get it done. Next tourney maybe. However, I’ll have a look at those two relays tomorrow, I think the game over relay is right at the back and has a latch and activation solenoid...

I didn’t get a picture @Moonbus but the stacks A bank and majority of others were all closed in home position

I think the game over relay is right at the back and has a latch and activation solenoid...
Yes it is "interlock" type, experiment starting a game with that in its other state.
Imho once you get a game started you're going to be in mech fettle mode to get it playable so ready for tomoz is a big ask.

@James, the coin relay in turn has a switch on it that then energises the RESET relay - that will (I havent looked at the schematic in detail yet) do a ton of stuff to reset the game and start a new game. But one thing for sure the reset relay does is turn the score motor, So the question is, did flicking the coin relay turn the score motor? If not did it energise the reset relay? The reset relay usually stays engaged until everything is reset and then it drops out.

The reset relay does reset the scores I tested this earlier but the coin relay did not energise it

ok so that’s very interesting check the switch on the coin relay that should energise the reset relay then. looks like the wires to that switch are yellow one side and blue-white the other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just watched this pretty good tutorial, so I know what we're working on now - really liking the top skill shot.
Was wondering @James as you're inspecting switches how are you cleaning the contact surfaces? I use the "Dremel Sabre" a la Pinside, as I work on a relay I tend to clean every switch on it's stack, they're bound to be beyond self wiping after the years of storage.

Going with the input from @AlanJ and @astyy and from looking at the schematic and the repair guides. And the video linked below, am i right in thinking that if...
1. If the 15A black line fuse is good
2. The reset relay is open
3. The 'latching' game over relay is open

Then the playfield is powered and flippers should work ?

The thing that is really perplexing me is that you had the playfield working and it stopped. This is why I was focusing on the outhole circuit. I still think there is something wrong there as is should be an isolated switch.
However, I think @AlanJ and @astyy are spot on that you should check the game over relay first.

If the problem is the game over relay not resetting to 'unlatched' then you need to...
Check the reset coil on the game over relay is good.
Check the relevant switch on the coin relay.

No progress @AlanJ - work has been mad with LRP stuff and such, then had some family stuff to sort out (parents etc) so its on the back burner.

Week off next week - so I am going to get it sorted then.

Long Range Plan - getting my economist head back on (which means taking a model and then making everything up and hoping it looks sound enough for the corporation to take a punt on my Capital Expenditure and Growth Plans)

It's fun, but it is always such a heated time as the goalposts move and information is needed yesterday on something we didn't know we needed until 10 minutes ago.

OK so after a couple of weird weeks, including a family bereavement and us putting our house up for sale (partly due to wanting a double garage to convert to my pinshed/workshop) - I am back in the game, well I say that, highly frustrated with this but back in the game, at least. Was also very very close on that Indy, but I am not not buying anything not in my top 10 want list - although the new house we want, if we get it, has room for c10 pins :p

I am completely lost, that video has just confused me a million times more than before to be honest :(

So, when i say latched i mean that the big solenoid would have fired and LATCHED the switches on.

So when the timer gets to zero. The zero position relay engages, so that game thinks it is in a zero poisition. That is good.

If I latch the GAME OVER relay, then the GAME RELAY will also latch, doing this before will not engage the game relay.

Any combination of the GAME OVER and GAME RELAY will not start a new game.

Back
Top Bottom