What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Williams - Travel Time

add some scores onto the game manually, then press the reset button on the front (i.e. game start button) nothing happens).
Sounds wrong but makes sense as you mention below currently you must manually activate (latch?) the Game Over relay for the Credit button to work

- When switching the game on via power, the score motor runs, no scores reset.
The motor running when toggled on doesn't sound right to me - does it stop on it's own? If you look on the score motor line on the schematic (around row 5) there are 8X Relay switches and 1x score motor switch (Index 8) any of which individually can power the score motor. If the machine is toggled on with the score motor at home position then perhaps one of those 8x Relay is energised?
I'd expect the score reels to reset as part of a game start sequence not necessarily on power on.

- If I manually add a credit on the right hand coin unit, the score motor runs - even though there are credits on the game on the "replay" reel.
That's probably correct, dropping the correct coin should reset/start a game instead of adding a Replay

To force a reset I would need to:
- Have replay credits on the replay reel.
- Activate the game over coil and return to normal.
- Press the start button to reset the game.
That sounds normal resetting to start a game - is it then playable?
Obviously you shouldn't have to manually tinker with the Game Over RE - do you mean "latching" it?

In respone to what you have posted

1. If I add some scores onto the game manually, then press the reset button on the front (i.e. game start button) nothing happens).
This is your issue

2. - When switching the game on via power, the score motor runs, no scores reset.
That is what I'd expect to happen - the score motor runs at various times before during and after a game and also when credits are added via coin units

3. - If I manually add a credit on the right hand coin unit, the score motor runs - even though there are credits on the game on the "replay" reel.
that is what I would expect to happen

So, going back to point 1.
The start game button, or the replay button as it is called on the schematic, works in conjunction with a set of other switches, which all must be on for it to work. It energises the "Coin" relay - can you find that and try manually switching it - does it then start a game?
If it does then we have narrowed down the issue - the issue is in the citcuit that consists of
so its either the switch on Index-A reel of score motor, or the "Game" relay is not on or it could be that the credit replay unit zero position switch is at fault, even though you have credits.

If not we have to first look elsewhere.

LMK how you get on with this.

I think if this is in the "friendly" tournament by Saturday it will have a sign above it saying "Travel Time" - bought to you by @AlanJ and @astyy!

Thanks for this, NCFC are at home tonight, so won't get onto this until tomorrow night now I don't think, time is against me :/

We're not out of the woods yet, that Clock Unit is daunting o_O Either way, once you can get a game started reliably you at least can play the thing with your mates in some manner.

I agree with alanj focus on that circuit snippet that energises the coin relay. Remember that the schematic is a logical snapshot of the machine in a specific state, I'm not familiar with Williams but it's typically :- 1-player game started, ball ejected to shooter lane, then machine toggled off. As such the Game RE switch showing open in that snippet may be normal as it would remain latched on in a game started state when machine toggled off, and tripped (switch closed) in a game over state. This logical state concept is less relevant with the simple Relays as these obviously de-energise when the machine is toggled off.

Sorry, I have not been getting notifications of this thread. Sorry if I walk paths already walked.

From my understanding, any EM worked the same way on power up.

Turn power on.
Main score motor rotates.
Tilt / slam relay locks on.
All score reels rotate to zero.

The game is now ready to receive credits.

Press left flipper button to wake game. (Optional)
Insert coin.
Lock really locks on.
Credit display or reel indicates.
Press start button.
Ball ejects.
Start game.

I spent 6 months or so on my magic circle trying to get the bloody thing working until someone on pinside told me to tie the lock and tilt relays together.

That removes the coin door from the equation, you can then work through the game trouble shooting by manually activating mechs.

It sounds like you have power to the relevant parts but you have something stopping the score motor stalling at the game start stage reliably.

I'm on the train but will dig through your symptoms and the schematic (if I can find it) later.

Roll on the chimes friday

From my understanding, any EM worked the same way on power up.

Turn power on.
  • Main score motor rotates.
Tilt / slam relay locks on.
All score reels rotate to zero.

The game is now ready to receive credits.

Press left flipper button to wake game. (Optional)
Insert coin.
Lock really locks on.
Credit display or reel indicates.
Press start button.
Ball ejects.
Start game.

Hi @Moonbus, my 60s Bally is different to the above, you may be interested.
  • If the machine has been turned off in a normal game over state there is no score motor activity/score reels don't reset/no relays trip on next power on.
  • The left flipper switches on GI and activates the Lock Relay (Anti-Cheat in Bally parlance!). I think of this as attract mode. As you say optional as starting a game will acheive this step.
  • Else a game can be started anyway via Replay button (if Replays on machine) or coin slots, normal reset procedure, score reels to 0, Tilt relay energised etc.
I thought the above normal, mine has been restored factory so I don't have any relays tied as you describe.

Well curently it's standing at
Travel Time 1 - 0 James
and we're into extra time :p

It is kicking my ass as well....

It's either going to be Manchester United '99 Bayern final, or Norwich V Charlton 2009 (we needed a win against Charlton and were 3-0 down after 30 minutes)...

Ok, i think im back up to speed....Check the out hole switch. The fact you initially had the playfield responding perplexes me. Its one of those important bits that's ridiculously easy to damage when lifting the playfield.

I fiddled quite a bit with this the other day and at one point heard the contact make contact and engage, but after that still nothing, I will be more logical tonight, but put it on my list.

There is also the SLAM TILT in the center under the playfield I was looking at, need to check if that is NO or NC as there is an up down pin on it, so I imagine it must be NO and the pin closes it, but want to check that too.

There is also the SLAM TILT in the center under the playfield I was looking at, need to check if that is NO or NC as there is an up down pin on it, so I imagine it must be NO and the pin closes it, but want to check that too.
I think that is Kick Off SW (4C on schematic) NC Yellow/Black-Orange wired. The Gulf Stream manual I linked said the machine could be switched off by tapping (I read kicking!) the bottom of the cabinet!
As you've tied the LOCK RE in its activated position it would have no effect anyway as it is in series the relays self hold switch.

Good luck tonight, I'll keep an eye on the posts :thumbs:

Last edited:
So.... pressing the coin button resets the score motor to whatever position it thinks is home and adds a credit to the replay machine.

Manually activating the coin relay does not reset the score motors. Even with the outhole depressed for a ball in play.

I am gettin intermittent lights in the bottom right of the head unit stating game over, this is flashing infrequently.... like a short.... however has settled now...

If i manually add time to the clock, the coin relay resets the clock to zero...

Here is one for you @Moonbus I am getting continuity across it whether or not it is depressed....

Yep that’s open you can see the two leafs in the picture wide open... that’s not right surely

Don't know lol. When you power on without a ball in is the outhole relay energised ?

Try adding credits and the start button. Interested to see if the outhole relay is always locked on by a short.

If I manually depress the outhole relay it kicks the score motor reel round, resets the clock, but sill doesn't start a game.

If I manually depress the outhole relay it kicks the score motor reel round, resets the clock, but sill doesn't start a game.
s
I wouldnt expect it to. The replay button is what would start a new game. Have you manually closed the COIN relay yet to see if that starts a game?

Lets take a step back....
Just passed through the garage to get a screwdriver to change the batteries in Harry's mobile thing and though I would chuck a credit on, ball in, game on the playfield starts up, flipper works, everything scores points on the playfield and I can hear that score motor running, backbox score reels still dead as a dodo.

However, progress!

What have you changed since the above ?
Is the coil you swapped on the reset relay still ok?

@Moonbus - genuinely nothing, I have manually adjusted lock relay with a cable tie, so htat is fine and the other coil is pulling in.

@AlanJ you said that there might be something wrong with the A bank on the score motor, so I have checked every A position (lowest down) and accoring to the schematic they should all be closed.... they are except this one, the impulse one.

Screenshot 2019-04-11 at 21.40.34.png

Is this a misalignment issue? Can they be misaligned? If I manually pull the motor 1mm or so they close up....

69F04437-72E6-4506-B899-1F6FE4E2ABC2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom