What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Williams - Travel Time

So...

Coils repaired and refit, I left one off of the lock relay and mechanically left it locked.

DE796C37-130A-4C30-A2D6-4ABC4700A1F7.jpeg

The electrics was a bit ropey - and the wire had a few nicks or bits missing,

B131D230-B48F-46C9-90EB-27A0D40223B1.jpeg

A bit of shrink wrap and a couple of connectors later, bit happier with that.

BEE5A0C5-AD7C-449F-97C1-F82E84E08476.jpeg

All pops now rebuilt.

C500457A-491E-4A8D-8702-4009FAE11292.jpeg

Every switch cleaned and re-inserted through the playfield, you can also make out the kickout which has now been reattached.

So all lovingly back together - all rubbers etc and going good guns,

35128217-5472-43E3-A818-07D2D4A49699.jpeg

I thought it would be a good time to switch it on... and

EE92988C-6FDB-4077-B54D-441A3AE2B3BB.jpeg

Wahey... light.

It was about that time it hit me... I know NOTHING about EM’s, so I opened the coin door and put some coins through it and....

The main motor in the middle starts moving, for a bit, then just stops.... it was about that time I realised.... I really know nothing about EM’s :p

Research mode...

So I think the issue was whilst the game was resetting the score motor, the score reels were motionless, I will add some credits tomorrow, then go from there.

Lights and some action, all sounds promising :D

Just passed through the garage to get a screwdriver to change the batteries in Harry's mobile thing and though I would chuck a credit on, ball in, game on the playfield starts up, flipper works, everything scores points on the playfield and I can hear that score motor running, backbox score reels still dead as a dodo.

However, progress!

Excellent! The 4x score reeel DU's (10, 100, 1000, 10000) are driven by their respective score relay (10, 100, 1000, 1000 RE and 1000 DU at 9 position). With a game running you could test those score relays by pushing the armature closed briefly with an insulated stick (I use a toothbrush handle!). When you briefly close the armature the respective DU should increment, if anything locks on be prepared to switch off. I doubt they're all out tho more like a dodgy connection on a jones plug into the bb or similar. I used this method around my machine to test/free up units and observe what they do.

Happy hunting, EM friend :thumbs:

Thanks @astyy - I am for sure getting the EM bug... already primed the wife that once this is done and there is space - more are coming (going to look at a house at 2:30 with a double garage primed for conversion :p)

No prob's, I have more t/shooting ideas but understand the fun in fixing it yourself, so shout if needed. When is your deadline to have this working?

Btw, I have the same Videomaster arcade cab as you too!

Wanted it done for Friday :/

Any help welcome, the videomaster is a WHOLE other thing I don’t know where to start.

Ok, these would be my steps.

Do you have GI working in the bb? If YES then your 6V and Yellow wire (common to 24V) is good.

Is the 24V reaching the bb? Measured across Yellow/Black - required for mechs in the BB; 4x DUs, 5x REs, Replay Unit and another Unit (can't see label guessing Match Unit), are any of these working? If no 24V trace it through the connector from the motor board - the schematic doesn't show the connector pinouts, Bally do! I've had jones plugs that appear solid but no continuity across the male pin/female socket.

Trace a simple circuit e.g. 10 point score, only the 4 standup target sw's on the pf score this, when closed they should energise the 10 pt RE which remain energised until it's turned off by the 10 pt DU EOS switch. Also, whilst the 10 pt RE is energised you should also see the Match Unit step up and the medium chime ring!

Maybe others will chip in with better ideas

That's pretty good progress - on all of mine the score motor just ran and ran, looks like you have a pretty well functioning machine and the score reels shouuld be easy to find as its all the reels, so looks like power to the score reels and/or score relays is not there.

Once you'v

There is indeed GI to the BB - as I have lights there, but don't seem to have any 24V as you say to any of the mechs - that's where I will start :)

Then investigate the black wire, which has the 15A fuse. It's not shown on the schematic but perhaps there's a separate fuse for the bb.

Btw, just a reminder this machine has 240V running through various mechs and relays o_O

Scratch that - testing over Yellow and Black wire.

Last edited:
you connect your meter black wire to the neutral part of the circuit. that is effectively the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just fired it up again and this time even with credits no bumpers, no flippers nothing, first call is to get the game to reset, then worry about the rest methinks.

trace the circuit diagram and see what other switches on what other relays the scoring circuits go through - one of em will be faulty. The scores are all powered from the red wire and the yellow wir on the 24v line. The red wire is a continuation of the black wire, except it goes through the "game over" relay and also the "reset" relay. So those are the two to take a look at.

SO manual adjustment of the 1, 10, 100 relay moves the scores round, the 1,000 coil locks hard when manually activated (wooden paintbrush) the fourth coil I imagine is the zero out coil, not really doing anything as somehow the scores are at zero...

5B575B1E-11B2-4129-A589-858A1B6638BD.jpeg

121967E6-3624-44C1-88E3-881E5180B905.jpeg

PS are you getting a voltage reading between the yellow and red wires of 24v? if not that's the issue. Something is not correctly starting a game.

I'd check that switch on the "Game over "relay then. its the switch that has the blue-yellow-white wire on one contact and the red wire on the other. it should be normally closed. Opens when the game over relay energises. The reason I say this is becuase the score reels themselves run off the black wire
whihc is "always on" whereas the 10,100,1000 score relays all rrun off the red wire, whihc is only on if the game over relay is not on and the reset relay is not on.

So...

Here is what I know.

- The score reset relay if manually triggered will return all of the score reels to zero, so that feels positive.
- I cannot get flippers or anything on playfield to work again, so the game doesn't think it is reset, even if all the score reels are reset to zero again.
- As per @AlanJ - checked the Game Over relay but this doesn't seem to change state, I need to rethink it tomorrow and just have it closed, I am sure I had it this way though and made no difference.
- The 1,000 score relay when manually pressed, locks on... so I will check the roll over relay, the top roll over switches, and see if that is causing a lock, but I can't see it as there is nothing being sent up from the game as it isn't active.

Screenshot 2019-04-09 at 22.20.38.png

I seem to get the game to do something when I hit the right hand coin select, but the reset doesn't seem to occur... so confused.

James, when the 1,000 point relay is activated, it locks itself on via the "1,000 Point DU EOS SW" circuit you have shown above. So if you look on the 1,000 Display Unit itself, there is a Normally closed switch, but this should open as the unit activates, which then should switch off the 1,000 replay again. The switch will have a yellow wire one side and the Blue-Brown wire the other side. It's probably not opening, so causing the 1,000 point relay to stay latched on.

If the game over relay is not the issue (i.e. it's not coming on) then look at the reset relay. What does that do? Is the Normally closed switch which has the Black wire one side and the Blue-yellow-white to other side closed when the rested relay is not activated?

It may help to summarise, where you are at with regards the machine resetting and starting a game? Once that's reliable can focus on individual in game features. I found EM faults tend to "daisy chain" so once you start fixing it unravels itself (hopefully!).

I am still at the point where going to start up - it doesn't do anything.

- If I add some scores onto the game manually, then press the reset button on the front (i.e. game start button) nothing happens).
- When switching the game on via power, the score motor runs, no scores reset.
- If I manually add a credit on the right hand coin unit, the score motor runs - even though there are credits on the game on the "replay" reel.

To force a reset I would need to:

- Have replay credits on the replay reel.
- Activate the game over coil and return to normal.
- Press the start button to reset the game.

Back
Top Bottom