What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to Hawkins ... stranger things thread

Didn't Stern release a kit to fix the TK lock issue?
Not sure about a kit I got a file from stern with adjustable and measurements but it made no odds after over 12 hours tinkering I have given up and just disabled it
I wouldn’t be that bothered if it just didn’t stick to the backboard it’s the fact it gets trapped in the mech when trying to direct to the backboard the when released come flying back down the ramp and sdtm

I think Brian told Erik that’s how it was supposed to be - via BIB - but I’ll ping Brian and ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My TK lock works great. And the demo was spot on out of the factory.

It’s a very strange angle to get it across the playfield and round the BIB lane. I know people have made adjustments and got it to do this but looking at how simple that ball launch and guide are I’m sure it’s meant to hit the drop targets (ie bigger target as ball launch mechanics don’t allow for much accuracy)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree! Also, why would you design it to do that, as it this makes getting the Extra Ball much easier.

I will see if I can find the Eddy interview.

Return from pops - should the ball feed to the right flipper, or hit the ring post (just after the shooter lane gate) and hop over to left flipper/slingshot?
Mine very occasionally hits top of right sling (if ball is very slow), mostly hops across to left sling or left flipper though.
This feed seems very dependant on ball speed which is fair enough but wondered how other people’s played?

I am pretty sure it should feed the right flipper. Mine does this pretty much every time.

Yes, normally. Of course, you get some that don’t, but normally it feeds the right flipper. Maybe the guide needs a slight adjustment.

For me, this game needed a lot of adjustments to get it dialled in.

The ball guides for me were all over the place and I had to band them into shape.

Yes, normally. Of course, you get some that don’t, but normally it feeds the right flipper. Maybe the guide needs a slight adjustment.

For me, this game needed a lot of adjustments to get it dialled in.

If you actually look at the alignment - the left guide is clearly meant to feed the left flipper but the right orbit is offset slightly - almost behind the natural angle which made me think it’s supposed to feed into that rubber & hop across?
No way of ever knowing for sure I guess, i would def prefer it if it did indeed just feed the right flipper every time.

I have mine hitting the rubber and feeding across, if you bend it too much over it will risk SDTM or

You could also argue the left guide should need a nudge ala MM.

He’s confirmed the right orbit should feed right flipper but takes a bit of ‘finesse’ to set up.

Lol of course it's on straight!

I'm getting legs and lock bar powder coated candy purple.

'its going to be sick bruv'

I'm loving the game, it's a keeper for me. I think on Gonzo's podcast we sound like we're all peddling it. But honestly it's such an underrated game.

Fitted the UV Kit today - it’s superb except for how visible the cables are under each ramp so I improvised and you can hardly see them now [emoji106]
eec4015c785a75b7c0b329c1f61453c7.jpg
c9148c87c088e784c862dcf38424adf1.jpg
950f8c468b46871d7bd0c91757385c44.jpg
a53dd06a1e80da8b0701f87f29d15815.jpg

Lol of course it's on straight!

I'm getting legs and lock bar powder coated candy purple.

'its going to be sick bruv'

I'm loving the game, it's a keeper for me. I think on Gonzo's podcast we sound like we're all peddling it. But honestly it's such an underrated game.

Welcome to Jan 2020 :)

I've owned Stranger Things for a week now, I was going to wait until after adding the UV kit and side art before giving my thoughts but I'm still waiting on the UV kit to be delivered.

When I lifted the backbox to reveal the playfield I was a little underwhelmed by how barren it all looked. I was coming off Jurassic Park, Alice Cooper and Turtles which all had quite packed playfields, 3 flippers, side art and mods. Turtles also had striking, hand drawn, colourful artwork so I was starting to think I'd made a big mistake and I should have kept Turtles.

The plastics instead of wire forms and metal washer protectors on the slings were also something I hadn't seen for a while and gave off a dated, cheap look.

After that initial first impression and powering the Pin on things started to look better. With everything now lit up it removed a lot of my earlier concerns. I'm going to add side art, remove the metals sling washers and replace with Col's plastic protectors. Before Col started making plastics I'd always replace the metal washers with 'Bullet proof clear washers' which look a lot better as they let the light through.

I may also add purple flipper bands and clear rubbers.

Onto the gameplay the atmosphere is great and captures the show really well with Cleland's code adding to this. I've also got one of those Star/Nebula/Galaxy/Cloud LED light projectors which adds to the whole room ambiance when playing. Can't wait to fit the UV kit.

With only 2 flippers the shots are all fairly standard which is why 3 flipper games always have the advantage in creating interesting shots.

The rules seem fairly understandable which for me is a nice change as I've felt a little lost with JP and TMNT. I feel I might have a chance of progressing with this one. I had a monumental 1.5 billion game, it felt like the furthest I've got on any Pin I've owned before. I did have extra balls as a reward and a relaxed tilt bob though.

The Demogorgan is always fun to hit and with a good shot it is going in its mouth so I don't think I'll need to make any adjustments there, although left flipper shots are more reliable than right.

I haven't noticed the flippers losing power, I suppose when I can't back hand the left ramp it will be time to fit my Pin Monk fans. Should you be able to back hand the right ramp, the geometry doesn't seem to allow this unless maybe you have 2 balls stacked?

I do miss Turtles as I didn't own it long, but I've no regrets getting a Stranger Things. The main reason for the expedited change was to avoid the Stern price increase.

I wouldn't call it a dream theme but of all the Pins I've owned it is the closest.

I've got 2 ghosting LEDs which Phil has contacted Stern about but apart from that all seems good build wise.

For me, it was a slow burner. I played it at Chief and wasn’t blown away, but the code is spot on now. The UV Kit is a must in my opinion, especially if you have the Pro.

I find it unlike any other game in terms of atmosphere.

Last edited:
The ghosting leds are on all games I wouldn’t worry about them.

Back
Top Bottom