What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UKPinfest 2020 August 28th, 29th & 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 Alan. Please reconsider @Neil McRae this is unnessecerily divisive and no good for the hobby we love or community we have here.

If everone just takes a step back and looks at the situation with clarity, it's very obvious that the success of both events would be threatened and very likely risk the future of PinFest, which we all know is a huge financial risk for Phil as it slowly grows from its infancy.

We all need to pull together and show support for both events.

Would you reconsider your proposed date to avoid this truly damaging clash of both events and community spirit?

Tim
Agree, not good for the hobby, and not a good look either! .

Imagine if the serious tiddlywink players broke off and made their own event clashing with tiddlywinkfest! it would be a bloodbath :D

FFS this is a niche hobby, there's not enough of us to start splitting us and causing either event to struggle.

I'd love to hear what your definition of a shambles is?

That certainly wasnt the feedback that I received in person or have read online.

I'd say a shambles was changing the format of a competition on the day during the competition itself, cancelling an advertised competition, changing groups/opponents after publishing, having only 6 machines available for practice/freeplay at a venue with over 50 machines and nearly 80 competitors, but your opinion is obviously different - and in your eyes superior.

Out of respect for Phil I really don’t want to post here but Its important that some things are clear - When the biggest gathering of pinball people in the UK for a competition and we get 55 entrants and a TGP fit for a 5 player selfie league - this is how I define shambles...

406CECC4-96FD-4FC4-A84B-47942F230683.jpeg

So second place got the same WPPR as first place at events in my shed - total shambles.

Domino events survey - how likely are you to recommend a future event: +100

Boom!

The venue is booked
The sponsors are lined up
The prize fund is the second biggest in pinball ever - all of this could have been at pinfest but instead we will have a tournament fit for a selfie league.

ladies and gentleman you pays your money and you takes your choices.

Out of respect for Phil I really don’t want to post here but Its important that some things are clear - When the biggest gathering of pinball people in the UK for a competition and we get 55 entrants and a TGP fit for a 5 player selfie league - this is how I define shambles...

View attachment 97515

So second place got the same WPPR as first place at events in my shed - total shambles.

Domino events survey - how likely are you to recommend a future event: +100

Boom!
Sorry I forgot it was all about WPPR points for you. Never has and never will be the focus of any tournaments I run.

Sorry I forgot it was all about WPPR points for you. Never has and never will be the focus of any tournaments I run.

and that’s the difference Wayne - you have tournaments all about you - I have tournaments all about the competitors.

I’ve been lamented for stirring the pot before, but I have to say just this.

This is not good for U.K. pinball at all.

Not good for the community.
Not good for personal relationships.
Not good for the organisers.

I don’t know who wins out of this decision, I feel personal politics of those who organise such things are at play and as a community, we all lose.

Neil, Wayne, Phil - please work this out.

and that’s the difference Wayne - you have tournaments all about you - I have tournaments all about the competitors.
No the difference is you like to be front and centre of everything, I run competitions because I enjoy it and want to vary the formats. I'm never the one on the mic who has to be seen or making fantastical brags about everything.

You throw money at anything and everything and think that that is the solution. You rely on other peoples software to run a competition rather than introduce new and innovative formats.

Personally I hope that people support Phil due to all of the time and effort he has put in to bringing back a major show to Daventry and aren't swayed by prize money - which funnily enough was the biggest complaint I had before the competition last year - the prize money.

This reminds me very much of Allen Stanford and his ill-fated attempt to buy love and respect by throwing a $20 million cricket tournament - look how that worked out for him?

This all pretty much stems from people not willing to accept other peoples input when they bring something to the table...

@Neil McRae wanted to bring something to UK Pinfest... Help make the event be bigger and better... Falls on deaf ears...

Daventry isn't fit for purpose to be honest, terrible location that you can only really get to if you drive or willing to be victim to crappy public transport! One thing all the events I have attended the year had in common was great location... walkable from public transport links... And you know what every single event was jam packed with public...

Not only making them financially successful but also bring joy and renewed interest in pinball to older generations but newer generations.

UK fails in terms of events compared to the Americans and Europeans... Who are growing and evolving putting on awesome events... I feel this is mainly due to the UK scene being too old fashioned and being too much of this is how its been done for years we aren't going to change.

UK deserves world class events... Neils Comps, Funball Four have all been great this year... Great turn outs, great atmospheres and great venues... @Wayne J would never agree for personal differences with @Neil McRae

I welcome Neils event... I hope both Pinfest and Neils events are successful

Last edited:
Other people’s software? Don’t you use excel? Isn’t that Microsoft’s? LOL

Maybe you mean the same software used at every single major pinball event in the world? Software that lets players know how they are doing and who they should be playing? Where they are in the queue? And supporting the development of the software to add the formats I want (fast ladder final and soon head to head!)

I can honestly say in all my life I’ve never been given abuse for using software. It’s like a chapter in my memoirs and I’ll call it Wayne’s World

LETS GO TO WAYNES WORLD where we use paper maps instead of GPS, paper timetables instead of Apps. Stand in a queue for a taxi instead of uber!

And yes I like to hype things up and try to make it exciting! If you shoot me for that then I deserve to be shot in the head, both barrels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This all pretty much stems from people not willing to accept other peoples input when they bring something to the table...

@Neil McRae wanted to bring something to UK Pinfest... Help make the event be bigger and better... Falls on deaf ears...

Daventry isn't fit for purpose to be honest, terrible location that you can only really get to if you drive or willing to be victim to crappy public transport! One thing all the events I have attended the year had in common was great location... walkable from public transport links... And you know what every single event was jam packed with public...

Not only making them financially successful but also bring joy and renewed interest in pinball to older generations but newer generations.

UK fails in terms of events compared to the Americans and Europeans... Who are growing and evolving putting on awesome events... I feel this is mainly due to the UK scene being too old fashioned and being too much of this is how its been done for years we aren't going to change.

UK deserves world class events... Neils Comps, Funball Four have all been great this year... Great turn outs, great atmospheres and great venues... @Wayne J would never again for personal differences with @Neil McRae

I welcome Neils event... I hope both Pinfest and Neils events are successful
Hey, all sounds great, so when's the first?

Oh, the date's been deliberately picked to clash with an established event? Classy.

Well, it certainly sounds like a British event.

Nothing fell on deaf ears. Phil listened to the proposal - which was Neil took over everything, and made the decision to honour the pledges he had already made both in private and in public. It's a shame others don't have the same integrity.

I listen to everyone that speaks up. I want to make the event bigger and better. Did I not make a post about next years event asking everyones opinion?

Kirk, as I've already said, we ALL agreed on next years competition. Wayne & Paul for the main comp. Neil & Shaun for the classics. Suddenly last week, everything had to change. I ask for us all to work together and come up with a great format and this happens.

And yes Kirk, the UK deserves more. I'm all for it. The problem is the way this has been done and arranged on the same weekend as UKPinfest. Take off your McRae tinted glasses. ;-)

The decision has been made. No matter how much pleading I've done, Neil won't change.

Let's move on.

Nothing fell on deaf ears. Phil listened to the proposal - which was Neil took over everything, and made the decision to honour the pledges he had already made both in private and in public. It's a shame others don't have the same integrity.

Yup.
Integrity is a rare thing and to be applauded

I've booked already though. Guess it is refundable!

I am supporting Big Phil on this one.

Would have loved to do Neil's big event, but it's just not right being on the the same weekend.

I'm also hoping it's all a massive windup because Neil loves being trolled!!

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Oi Neil! Get this sorted please, you have already booked your hotel room at Pinfest!

It’s refundable - Tried mate honestly No matter how much I plead with Phil he won’t make the big decision!

Look at the farce when I announced the free tournament last year!

But as Phil says it’s time to move on!

Last edited by a moderator:
..Tried mate honestly No matter how much I plead with Phil he won’t make the big decision!

Unfortunately, Pinfest is Phil's event, and as agreeable as he is, you can't just do what you want at someone else's event.

Organising your own event is to be applauded in most circumstances, but when you've deliberately organised an event to compete against Phil on the same dates, just because you couldn't get your own way .. Well that's petty and childish quite frankly, and an insult to everyone involved with that event.

When the biggest gathering of pinball people in the UK for a competition and we get 55 entrants and a TGP fit for a 5 player selfie league
Pinfest is much more than just the comp, and plenty don't care about WPPR. But surely you could have figured out a compromise with Phil and perhaps even hosted in another conference room at the Daventry Hotel, then everyone gets the best of it all.

Unfortunately, Pinfest is Phil's event, and as agreeable as he is, you can't just do what you want at someone else's event.

Organising your own event is to be applauded in most circumstances, but when you've deliberately organised an event to compete against Phil on the same dates, just because you couldn't get your own way .. Well that's petty and childish quite frankly, and an insult to everyone involved with that event.

If you think I’m doing this to compete with Phil you are in lala land. I’m doing this because the UK deserves a great tournament rather than the steptoe and son selfie league that we have had previously - unfortunately it clashes because the venue I’m using is a busy location and booked up well in advance and this was the only date I could get.

I don’t do petty and childish, I do - dream big and make it happen and after hearing this bull**** from you and Wayne I’m going full tilt on making it happen - and thank you both for reinforcing to me that the decision was the right one!

Pinfest is much more than just the comp, and plenty don't care about WPPR. But surely you could have figured out a compromise with Phil and perhaps even hosted in another conference room at the Daventry Hotel, then everyone gets the best of it all.

Alan; I agree it is; the comp is a side show in reality but it _shouldn’t_ be. I tried since the end of pinfest 2018, I was even trying to bring the UK Open back to pinfest this year; which would have been perfect and what everybody wants. But no I’m “childish and petty”. Right ok sure!

Loads of folks encouraged me to try after the farce of the comp of pinfest 2019 and I tried again and after the overwhelming success of UK Open this year and seeing so many great tournaments in the US I decided I would do something different and deserving of our competition players in the UK.

Alan; I agree it is; the comp is a side show in reality but it _shouldn’t_ be. I tried since the end of pinfest 2018, I was even trying to bring the UK Open back to pinfest this year; which would have been perfect and what everybody wants. But no I’m “childish and petty”. Right ok sure!

Loads of folks encouraged me to try after the farce of the comp of pinfest 2019 and I tried again and after the overwhelming success of UK Open this year and seeing so many great tournaments in the US I decided I would do something different and deserving of our competition players in the UK.

fine. thanks for explaining. but on the same dates as pinfest isn’t helping either cause

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leaving aside everything else that's either remarkable or not even consistent in those posts...

Why not do it next year instead of making a social faux pas so obvious that even children wouldn't fall into it by mistake? Especially if it's such an amazingly busy venue that you can't do anything about a booking that is short of a whole year in advance.

Couldn't you just give the managing directors of the venue a call and get it rearranged, maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom