What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UKPinfest 2019 23rd, 24th, 25th August

I still can't see what happened! Can someone enlighten me (in fairness my internet connection is a bit crap and it's jittery...)

The game he played F-14 is not registered on his submitted ticket, the only ticket submitted showed scores on IMDN, CIRC and HS2. You can see at the end of the game the score keeper witnessing the F-14 score on a ticket.

This might have been prevented if the electronic scoring had worked from the start with scores going straight in, also why in Europe many pump and dump comps issue one ticket only and won't issue another until that has been completed and submitted or voided.

Not sure what you're insinuating there Neil. If you've got something in mind then feel free to send a PM and we'll look into it. As has been demonstrated, for one of the major UK comps the integrity of the competition is vitally important and allegations are taken seriously.
To be fair, when given four tickets my first thought was strategically you could group your best/worst scores together, I wasn’t sure whether this was allowed as it felt like cheating so I didn’t do it (however it would have been really easy to do if I wanted to).

Top bloke Richard with a lovely outlook, we all make mistakes, i would be happy to play pinball with him anywhere

o_O. Isn't a mistake something that you do wrong without realising at the time..... or an unintentional error? If so, this isn't it.

How do lesser players like myself and many others have chances of competing honestly against a top player who does such a thing?

Don't know the guy, not great first impression. Karma will be that s**t tends to stick.

To be fair, when given four tickets my first thought was strategically you could group your best/worst scores together, I wasn’t sure whether this was allowed as it felt like cheating so I didn’t do it (however it would have been really easy to do if I wanted to).

If the electronic scoring had worked from the off then the 4 tickets would have been back up for if the system went down. I didn't even record my scores on them as they'd gone in electronically and I could see them almost straight away on the mobile.

The game he played F-14 is not registered on his submitted ticket, the only ticket submitted showed scores on IMDN, CIRC and HS2. You can see at the end of the game the score keeper witnessing the F-14 score on a ticket.

This might have been prevented if the electronic scoring had worked from the start with scores going straight in, also why in Europe many pump and dump comps issue one ticket only and won't issue another until that has been completed and submitted or voided.

So it's ok for the score keeper to waste his time registering a fraudulent score? C'mon man.

The reason 4 paper tickets were given out on the Saturday was because the software, which was working perfectly on the Friday, failed. The electronic system wouldn't allow multiple tickets to be open at any time.

The paper tickets were the backup in case of a failure, which we hoped we would never have to use. It's just as well Paul had prepared the backup or we would have had to delay the start of the comp until USA woke up.

With the offer of 4 tickets with initial registration we simply didn't have the manpower to issue and track tickets individually.

It was something that I was looking out for specifically.

This wasn't what happened on the clip.

Would also like to say thanks to Phil, Wayne and everyone who helped make this weekend a great success. :clap:

One of the funniest moments of the weekend was when the woman tripped over the electrical cable and grabbed Helmut as he was playing his league finals game on IJ...! :D
I lost count of how many times I fell over that thing, I wasn't even drunk! 🤣

Huh? Vin, I think you need to read what I wrote again... or perhaps I need to re-word it...! :oops:
ok, as long as that behaviour is not being defended, cool, misread it. The software going down is not an excuse either though. I'll stop now, I'm just upset that he'd do this, love the guy.

Would also like to say thanks to Phil, Wayne and everyone who helped make this weekend a great success. :clap:

One of the funniest moments of the weekend was when the woman tripped over the electrical cable and grabbed Helmut as he was playing his league finals game on IJ...! :D

That's just unfortunate, much funnier/ unfortunate stuff happened, believe me🙄

There is no defending what happened, and Rich did not try to offer any excuses this morning.
He did not submit any of his tickets after his first entry, he simply wanted an extra game of practice.
Still wrong and the reason why he knew that disqualification was the only choice that could be made.

Yes he was wrong, and I'm not defending anybody. Anyone caught cheating will be disqualified instantly from any competition that I run. I have stuck by the same morals/ethics/rules from day 1 without exception, and will continue to do so.

This is only the second time that evidence has been provided after the event has finished, which complicated matters slightly.

I would urge everyone that if they have any doubts as to what anybody has done to draw the attention of the TD.

Perhaps if required in future, tickets could be issued as 4 tickets on a larger sheet. Would avoid strategic logging of scores. Just fill in the 12 scores sequentially and submit them to be entered as groups of three.

The paper tickets were just a backup for the software, which wasn't working for the first few hours. I can see how paper tickets could be exploited, but saw no evidence of this.

Thanks for the comments though. In future if backup tickets are required I'll make sure to issue them individually.

Oh and for those like me who watched the Alantis posted video clip you missed the earlier game restart with no score registration, seen here:

It was a great spot by someone..! Also a total shocker...

It's a shame to wake up and read all this. I know cheating is cheating but if I'm reading everything correctly bleary eyed, he didn't submit the score and just had a practise game. Doesn't sound a lot but still against the rules.

I don't know Rich personally but it's sounds like he's fully cooperated with the ruling.

As the organiser of UKPinfest, I'm giving him an 11 month ban from the event. Seriously though, I hope he comes back and doesn't let this ruin his love of the event or the game.

Once again, this proves how professionally the competition was run this year. We were all exhausted on Monday but they're still looking at the video to see how it has gone and maybe what small improvements can be made for next year.

It's also a testament to Tim's dedication to providing the best streaming possible. Think he's going to have to change his usernames now though 🤣 😂 🤣

When I first heard that Rich had cheated, I was totally shocked, appalled and speechless especially given he is such a top player.

Now having understood what actually happened, I think it needs to be put into perspective. Whilst I don't condone for one second what Rich did, it wasn't on one of the scores he submitted so as Wayne said it was just an extra practice game. So with the definition of cheating to gain an advantage by unfair means, I don't think he actually gained much by what he did.

BUT having said that and that Rich is usually a top bloke, not just because of this incident but also on a totally separate personal level from the weekend, I'm very saddened and disappointed by him.

When I first heard that Rich had cheated, I was totally shocked, appalled and speechless especially given he is such a top player.

Now having understood what actually happened, I think it needs to be put into perspective. Whilst I don't condone for one second what Rich did, it wasn't on one of the scores he submitted so as Wayne said it was just an extra practice game. So with the definition of cheating to gain an advantage by unfair means, I don't think he actually gained much by what he did.

BUT having said that and that Rich is usually a top bloke, not just because of this incident but also on a totally separate personal level from the weekend, I'm very saddened and disappointed by him.

Well put Greg - didn’t see you at the event but hope you enjoyed it all the same(if you went), I sure did!

Hope to see you at a future pinball event during the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom