What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Total Nuclear Anhililation

Get a ball and even if you push hard into the starpost the ball never touches it because of the rubber. In my mind the washer now becomes the thing with the sharp edge that’s going to cut the playfield up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maybe it's dispersing the pressure over a larger surface area?

They did say it was only a certain run that was affected didn't they?

Yes same here with my trough opto problem.

But - replacing a play field or a major component like the CPU board is an entirely different issue. Right now my head is in the space that after a few hundred games paint shouldn’t be flaking off the playfield - or am I being unreasonable?

Neil.

Maybe it's dispersing the pressure over a larger surface area?

They did say it was only a certain run that was affected didn't they?

I don’t see how but hopefully that’s right!

Certain run sees to be a game in the region of 80 to games in the 400’s given the game has a run of 550 that’s pretty much all of them!

Yes same here with my trough opto problem.

But - replacing a play field or a major component like the CPU board is an entirely different issue. Right now my head is in the space that after a few hundred games paint shouldn’t be flaking off the playfield - or am I being unreasonable?

Neil.

Of course it isn't unreasonable - but the question is comparative to Stern and the GB issue, what clout does Spooky have to rectify the issue - a play-field swap out is a massive cost in both parts and labour.

Totally agree - but if this problem spreads and I am predicting it will they may not have a choice.

Neil.

I'm a lot happier having the washers in place than not. They cover the existing damage and should hopefully prevent any more. Only time will tell I guess.

Charlie replied, didn't really answer my questions :( but said neoprene are the ones to have so I've emailed KT to get them sent over too.

New Beta Code:

http://www.scottdanesi.com/?page_id=1724

v1.3.0.b9 - 12/23/2018 - Scott Danesi

## Bugs Fixed ##
- Fixed default coil pulse time in coil test
- Fixed video lag in Burn Test
- Tweaked orbit sound effects
- Fixed issue where the shaker would not always start on critical
- Fixed sensitivity on drop error messages, they will appear less frequently
- Fixed ball save callout, now happens on SDTM shots out of the scoop
- Spelling error fixed in service mode
- Adjusted attract lightshow timings to make the transitions more smooth
- Fix put in place for ball tracking issue, once again... ?

## Features Added / Modifications ##
- Added Beacon Test in service menu
- Added sound effects for high score entry
- Added dedicated high score reset utility in the server mode preserving other audits
- Top score entry for Co-Op games added
- Left gate now opens during attract mode when clearing balls out of the shooter lane
- Updated indication lightshows for when locked balls are waiting and multiball ready
- Massive restructuring of flipper handling logic, now runs stronger and cooler
- Credit Dot and Error Report added to the service menu
- Clear Coin Audits added
- Adjusted High Score initials down slightly for easier viewing
- Added Balls Saved audit
- Ability to disallow tilts when ball is in the shooter lane
- RAD target destroy selection logic updates based on Reactor Difficulty Setting
- Easy Reactor Setting - RAD targets not selected for Reactors 1-3
- Medium Reactor Setting (Default) - RAD targets not selected for Reactors 1-2
- Hard Reactor Setting - RAD targets not selected for Reactor 1
- Brutal Reactor Setting - RAD targets can be selected for all reactors

Screenshot_20181225-222017.png

Last edited:
Had a few random lockups with the above release but it is beta so to be expected! Otherwise enjoying the improvements :)

Had a few random lockups with the above release but it is beta so to be expected! Otherwise enjoying the improvements :)
When did you download the code? There were issues with lockups so an updated version was released not long after. I'm running 1.3.0.B10 without any noticeable issues, but looking at the website it is now 1.3.0.B11 (released today).

Out of interest, how many reactors have people managed? Mine is standard 3 ball setup apart from the Reward is set to an extra ball, and I've managed 4 reactors. Not far off getting 5 and the new code may make it a little easier as they exclude the RAD targets for the first 2 reactors. That damn 'D' target is my nemesis :mad:

When did you download the code? There were issues with lockups so an updated version was released not long after. I'm running 1.3.0.B10 without any noticeable issues, but looking at the website it is now 1.3.0.B11 (released today).

I had the B9 but am installing the B11 now; didn't realise there was an update - thanks!

I've done 4 reactors with 1 destroy target left for the 5th on the previous code.

Also 4 reactors here, also finding the rad targets very difficult to hit, new code should definitely help there but I’m going to wait for the official non-buggy code release, should be any day now?

On another note, got my washers from spooky will be keeping an eye out as one pinsider reporting cracked star posts now. Still waiting for the slingshot plastics...

Mark - whats your take on how they will fix this issue?

I think they are worthless - to those that PMed addresses the ones I got went out today still not got everyone’s address!

Neil.

Mark - whats your take on how they will fix this issue?

I think they are worthless - to those that PMed addresses the ones I got went out today still not got everyone’s address!

Neil.

It’s a cheap fix but hopefully the rubber should provide enough protection for the playfield as they absorb the impact from the ball to stop the plastic star posts digging in to the playfield? I stopped playing mine until I got them fitted, cracked star posts and washers are easy to replace the playfield not so easy, the pf chipping seems inevitable if you don’t fit the washers, would be crazy not to.

Sorry Neil things have been a bit hectic with family staying but will send you my address via PM in a moment! I’ve managed to destroy the fifth reactor either once or twice - I’ve definitely done it at home but my best ever score was on the machine at Tilt so think I may have done it there too. I also struggle with the RAD targets sometimes so the new code release should make things a little easier on default settings.

It’s a cheap fix but hopefully the rubber should provide enough protection for the playfield as they absorb the impact from the ball to stop the plastic star posts digging in to the playfield? I stopped playing mine until I got them fitted, cracked star posts and washers are easy to replace the playfield not so easy, the pf chipping seems inevitable if you don’t fit the washers, would be crazy not to.

So they sent you the rubber ones and not the plastic ones? The rubber ones just arrived and I think they will be better - spooky originally sent plastic washers which in my view would only make it worse - I didn’t install them the plastic ones - I still think this totally unacceptable way of dealing with this issue.

@Mfresh don’t install the plastic ones and I’ll send out the rubber ones (ping me your new address) - to those that PMed me I’ll send out the rubber ones on Wednesday.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there are any spare rubber ones left over I'll take a set please. When I originally emailed Spooky they asked for a photo of the damage to decide whether to send me rubber or plastic, and sent plastic based on the photo.

Can you share the picture of the damage?

Cheers
Neil.

Yes they sent me 6 rubber ones. I also sent photos, the ones I posted earlier in this thread.

Can you share the picture of the damage?

Cheers
Neil.

The first couple are the ones I sent them, the other 2 are after I took the star posts off.

I *think* I'm happy with the plastic ones, but I want whatever Spooky recommend, which seems to be different depending who you ask and when you asked.

20181211_193758.jpg20181211_193813.jpg20181219_152040.jpg20181219_153111.jpg

The plastic ones to me look very questionable - you are increasing the lever angle on a piece with a similar sharp edge... Charlie PMed me on pinside and said the neoprene (rubber) are the ones to use. That’s what I’ve installed.

From what I've read or heard in the past Spooky playfields have been praised, not usually suffering from the problems that plague stern, who makes them?

I think spooky make them Kev, Charlie was in the printing business and had the machine to print them. Thats at least a vague recollection from the spooky film and their talks at various pinball events.

All - I suggest you take detailed pictures of your star post areas now, put the washers on and then in a few months take another look.

Regards,
Neil.

Re: Spooky playfields.

You may already know, but they changed the clear significantly for TNA. For AMH, RZ, and the contract games it looked and felt very similar to WMS' old Diamond Plate. Dull, almost matte, and very durable.

I think when asked about it when the first TNAs were going out, and it was obviously thicker and glossier and looked like the automotive style clear that's become popular (and has had varying degrees of success or failure) Charlie said they'd changed it because it's what the market demanded - i.e. something shiny.

Maybe this backfired. At least as far as my RZ is concerned, I can't imagine the surface chipping without tens of thousands of games played, and little maintenance.

I don't think they cut or clear the playfields in house. Maybe they do print them, however. Don't know.

1.3.0 official release now available - http://www.scottdanesi.com/?page_id=783

v1.3.0 - 01/03/2019 - Scott Danesi

## Bugs Fixed ##
- Fixed default coil pulse time in coil test
- Fixed video lag in Burn Test
- Tweaked orbit sound effects
- Fixed issue where the shaker would not always start on critical
- Fixed sensitivity on drop error messages, they will appear less frequently
- Fixed ball save callout, now happens on SDTM shots out of the scoop
- Spelling error fixed in service mode
- Adjusted attract lightshow timings to make the transitions more smooth
- Fix put in place for ball tracking issue, once again... :)
- Fixed hangup on bringing reactor 3 critical!
- Fixed false positive credit dots. Now waits until 10 failures to throw the dot
- Made another attempt at fixing the extra ball getting thrown in play on certain machines during ball save
- Fixed issue with some 10 letter initials getting cut off

## Features Added / Modifications ##
- Added Beacon Test in service menu
- Added sound effects for high score entry
- Added dedicated high score reset utility in the server mode preserving other audits
- Top score entry for Co-Op games added
- Left gate now opens during attract mode when clearing balls out of the shooter lane
- Updated indication lightshows for when locked balls are waiting and multiball ready
- Massive restructuring of flipper handling logic, now runs stronger and cooler
- Credit Dot and Error Report added to the service menu
- Clear Coin Audits added
- Adjusted High Score initials down slightly for easier viewing
- Added Balls Saved audit
- Ability to disallow tilts when ball is in the shooter lane
- RAD target destroy selection logic updates based on Reactor Difficulty Setting
- Easy Reactor Setting - RAD targets not selected for Reactors 1-3
- Medium Reactor Setting (Default) - RAD targets not selected for Reactors 1-2
- Hard Reactor Setting - RAD targets not selected for Reactor 1
- Brutal Reactor Setting - RAD targets can be selected for all reactors
- Completely restructured how the slings are handled to reduce airballs

## Download Link ##
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k53qgsp93g1PP0Ah7XLZf6L6o8jHA0ct

Installed it - feels more responsive!

Back
Top Bottom