What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Total Nuclear Anhililation

Thanks for the heads up Neil - can't say I've noticed any damage but I'll get in touch with Morgan and ask her to shove a few extra in the package she's sending your way. Appreciate you offering to send them on!

Likewise, thanks Neil. I've sent a mail too. Will Also order the ones off amazon and if they arrive first can send some around to people.

No damage on mine yet, but the star posts do look like they're digging into the pf, whether it was like that when new or has happened over time I'm not sure.

I count 25 posts in total, with 13 that can be hit by the lower flippers, either directly or on a rebound.

I assume @philpalmer you will be receiving washer kits from spooky for this problem for those that purchased through you?

@mark9 emailed them and get them sent to me or yourself - I got the sense they might not have too many.

OTH though looking at this I don’t think it will be long before other playfield issues crop up - worried this could be very bad for spooky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is supposed to only happen with star posts....

I’m not sure if @philpalmer will have some of us covered, but just in case i’ve asked spooky to add a set in the batch sent to you Neil, and have had confirmation.

Before and after with the washer fitted. The theory is the star post moves on top of the washer when the ball hits it rather than on the playfield. Seems an acceptable solution so long as the washer doesn't move. Note that the washers seem to have a slightly raised edge on one side, so make sure you put that side face up.

No one likes it when playfield damage happens, and prevention is always better than cure, but don't let this put you off playing it, or buying one. It really is a minor issue that now seems to have a solution. I bet most people wouldn't have even realised there was any damage without people talking about it, me included.

*The left Radiation decal peeling off is my fault. I tried to take it off to reallign, but damaged it. I didn't think I had OCD but maybe I do...another set ordered.

20181219_152040.jpg20181219_152408.jpg20181219_153111.jpg20181219_153338.jpg

Before and after with the washer fitted. The theory is the star post moves on top of the washer when the ball hits it rather than on the playfield. Seems an acceptable solution so long as the washer doesn't move. Note that the washers seem to have a slightly raised edge on one side, so make sure you put that side face up.

No one likes it when playfield damage happens, and prevention is always better than cure, but don't let this put you off playing it, or buying one. It really is a minor issue that now seems to have a solution. I bet most people wouldn't have even realised there was any damage without people talking about it, me included.

*The left Radiation decal peeling off is my fault. I tried to take it off to reallign, but damaged it. I didn't think I had OCD but maybe I do...another set ordered.

I hope your right Marvello but, I think where the clear is chipped it will only get worse. I want to know what Spooky discovered and fixed...

Washers hit London today they might be with me xmas eve and I’ll get them bagged up ready to go 27th so hopefully arrive before NY apart from those that are coming to mine on 30th.

so for those of you that contacted Spooky I've got your washers - PM me your address and I'll get them out on the 27th, Paul I'll give you yours on the 30th?

Spooky put in the instructions and you need 4, two at the star posts near the dialpad and the two for the top of the slings. Not sure why you don't need them elsewhere.

Cheers,
Neil.

I was sent 6 so put 2 on each sling. Could really have done with 3 on each sling, just to keep it level. Fine with 2 so long as you don't tighten the nut that hasn't got a washer too tight.

I agree marvello and in fact my lower sling had damage, i think I’ve got enough to send everyone 6 and strongly suggest you put it on both sides of the sling - however looking at this solution. I’m with Phil - I don’t see how this is going to stop any more damage. I’ve contacted Charlie to ask why this helps. If I look at the other starposts I can’t see why they would be immune to this issue so I’m going to put something there also that I’ve ordered.

Neil.

The one thing I’ve realised is that getting a decent level of quality on a pinball game seems beyond all the manufacturers (bar Williams ?) - whats important is how they deal with the problems. Stern and JJP/Pinball heaven lead on this for me after shipping me a replacement playfield on GB and swapping the CPU board on Dialed in.

Isn't the theory that with the washer in place the star post slides on the washer when hit by the ball rather than on the playfield. The washer isn't moving thus no more damage?

I guess the 4 posts they have mentioned are the ones that are beat on the most. I’ll send you my address shortly Neil, tyvm!

Get a ball and even if you push hard into the starpost the ball never touches it because of the rubber. In my mind the washer now becomes the thing with the sharp edge that’s going to cut the playfield up!

The one thing I’ve realised is that getting a decent level of quality on a pinball game seems beyond all the manufacturers (bar Williams ?) - whats important is how they deal with the problems. Stern and JJP/Pinball heaven lead on this for me after shipping me a replacement playfield on GB and swapping the CPU board on Dialed in.

I found Spooky very easy to deal with when my numeric display wasn't working, they were quick to reply and send out parts.

Back
Top Bottom