What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Pinball Chinwag Podcast UK

Another great episode with Kris and Craig, I have only entered one comp and that was March last year at Neil’s. It is a totally different experience to playing for fun, a different mindset is needed when playing and I definitely could feel the pressure and adrenaline pumping! With experience I think I would enjoy it more, I hate losing😤

Another great episode with Kris and Craig, I have only entered one comp and that was March last year at Neil’s. It is a totally different experience to playing for fun, a different mindset is needed when playing and I definitely could feel the pressure and adrenaline pumping! With experience I think I would enjoy it more, I hate losing😤
I'm in a similar boat. Joined the Midlands league pre covid but only managed 1 meet before everything shut down, due to work commitments. I didn't finish last so was happy with that. I intend to enter the main comp, nba fast break comp, probably classic, and definitely stall ball. I'm a terrible player but hope by being around decent players I might get some tips

Great episode guys. Can't believe you could get pinball machines for £150. I spent over £700 recently on just a topper. 🤣

I promise to try an EM based game while at Pinfest but i'm for Toys and large flashing lights so I still think I'll only ever own DMD era onwards.
Wait until you've stayed up stupidly late watching something like the finals at Pinburgh, and you too would love to play Spanish Eyes

Just thought I'd say that I've really enjoyed all the chats, and have learnt a fair amount too, so thanks to Gonzo and all the guests.

Having gone through all of Craig's techniques videos and starting to try to put them in practice, are there other techniques to learn in addition?

I note that Neil mentioned "Shatzing" (alley pass) on the Pinfest machine donation thread (which was new to me), but also in the last chat, Craig mentioned that the young German guy, Johannes Ostermaier was now doing some completely new moves, which were being named after him. Is there anywhere that these are documented/videos of them? I've had a look on YouTube but most of the videos of JO are very long recorded streams of final competition stages, so not easy to identify specific moves.

Slap save I think is nuts the damage you can do to yourself is insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok that wasnt difficult 🤣 because he is such a freak of nature he does miraculous things all the time!!!

I would encourage you to watch the whole thing, I think it's probably the best demonstration of skill I've ever seen on a pinball machine.

But here is why I said in my opinion he is rewriting how to play pinball. It's primarily his multiball play

Watch the multiball from about 36 minutes until about 38 minutes (you could pick almost anytime he is in multiball though). One key skill that he uses a lot, which I had never seen anyone do before, was the dead pass whilst having a ball trapped. So he has one trapped on the left flipper and another ball is heading to that left flipper, he releases the left button and allows the second ball to hit the flipper and dead bounces that one over to the right, then quickly traps the one he already had trapped again. It's frankly insane, so many of his skills are so lightening fast and because they are in multiball are hard to document, but he uses the dead bounce/dead flip/bounce over during multiball in so many ways that I've never seen anyone else do, it's poetry in motion.

The move that is being named 'the ostermeier' are the tiny mini/micro flips that he uses in order to regain control of the ball. Abe documents them brilliantly in the above series. Johannes does it many times throughout the video, primarily when it's coming down the inlane and he wants to gain control of the ball, so he does a series of tiny little flips to stop the ball dead.

But to be honest he does these things all the time, they are second nature and don't seem that impressive until you actually break it down and see what he's doing. He stages the flippers in this video too many times to count, it's crazy. In isolation I could probably do some of these things, but he does them all the time, like they are nothing and uses them at the right time in the right situation all the time. It's watching pure creativity, I could wax lyrical about him all day 🤣

Having an interest in the competitive side, this was another good episode.
I've learned so much lately with watching videos, that I don't think I'd ever have figured out without seeing how it is done, also I feel some games get more enjoyable when you aren't so terrible anymore at them!
Sadly can't make Pinfest but am looking forward to other events in the near future.

Sorry for all the mentions - @Fishbulb @mufcmufc @RuyLopez @Neil McRae @robotgreg @Wayne J @Wizcat @Chief @new forest pinball @Matt Vince
@strobey 🙈 I get a little carried away when talking about my favourite topic.
🤣🤣🤣 Have finally got round to watching this.
Craig's enthusiasm clearly comes through, along with his modesty.
Although, the part he was playing down his chances because he hadn't played any of the newer games had me reaching for the keyboard until he admitted the time spent on JP2.

First time I’ve seen Ian clean shaven LOL

Great video!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@Gonzo I cannot believe you have 6 of these in the can already mate!

You are really going for it and I have enjoyed them all so far!

Who is going to do your one?

Thanks John, I'm sure I'll let enough slip during that process that I won't need to.

We have another tomorrow from a well established member of the pinball community who will be known to many. To be honest I could have Keith Elwin on and I'd probably ask who he was and if he ever played a bit of pinball.

@Gonzo I cannot believe you have 6 of these in the can already mate!

You are really going for it and I have enjoyed them all so far!

Who is going to do your one?

Good episode! What was with the avoiding talking about Wheel of Fortune (I don't know the game but have heard its really good from @MajesticPinball) then saying "We'll talk about Road Show" then nothing.
I'm getting teased with the Pat Lawlor/Road Show mentions.

Maybe you shouldn't get me on, as there's a risk it will be an hour long TED TALK about Road Show (get it?🤣)

My biggest question after the latest episode is...
How do we get in on the NLP curry night? 🤔😏

Good episode! What was with the avoiding talking about Wheel of Fortune (I don't know the game but have heard its really good from @MajesticPinball) then saying "We'll talk about Road Show" then nothing.
I'm getting teased with the Pat Lawlor/Road Show mentions.

Maybe you shouldn't get me on, as there's a risk it will be an hour long TED TALK about Road Show (get it?🤣)

My biggest question after the latest episode is...
How do we get in on the NLP curry night? 🤔😏

You come on and waffle about Roadshow for an hour if you want mate.

As for WOF . . . . nothing sinister. We had a couple of minutes left and not enough time to discuss all of the remaining machines. I'm afraid it didn't make the cut 😉

Ian
I still have the J.D I got from you, and after seeing that toy box on the Areosmith you had, that prompted me contacting Chris B for one.
enojoyed this episode very much.
Alan

Back
Top Bottom