What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Pinball Chinwag Podcast UK

Okay thanks Gonzo, huggers reaction makes more sense to me now. I'll backtrack!

The "you are not being erased" wasn't to anyone in this discussion. The "you" was the angry bigoted men on the Internet who hate whenever people not like them are on telly.

I don't get that impression from anyone adding to this discussion!

I enjoyed the first season - havent started the second yet, although i know it's out there :)

I enjoyed the first season - havent started the second yet, although i know it's out there :)
I was going to drop Picard after the first season avtually but heard enough good things that I tried season 2, which I think is much better!

Should I try again? I think I'm destined to watch TNG and DS9 on repeat forever and I think I'm okay with that

It's okay mate.

I'm still waiting for a proper ST series.

I thought Enterprise was okay to be honest but even that is a long time ago now.

The Elf/Vulcan was worth tuning in for too 😍.

Disclaimer: Women (and men) with non pointy ears can be equally attractive.

As for this modern stuff being on a similar level to 'A New Hope' and only separated by the tinted spectacles of nostalgia. . . . . . it ain't even close. Harrison Ford was funny and charming, Carie Fisher was wonderfully dry humoured and Antony Daniels had very good comic timing. Crikey, even Yoda was funny in the follow-up but that should be no surprise given that Frank Oz was the genius that gave us Miss Piggy & Cookie Monster. Chuck in an Oscar winning lead actor and possibly John Williams finest ever music etc . . . .
I haven't watched Boba Fett (yet), but I think Mando (and Rogue One) are the only decent things to come out of Disney Star Wars so far.

Mando works because it's a small-scale study of a lone bloke becoming a dad, and that emotional core makes every other flaw forgivable.

The original Star Wars films were a great piece of storytelling. The last three films were terrible and there is a multi-hour film critic series explaining why. It's largely that the later films focus heavily on CGI spectacle and set-piece scenes, and don't do any coherent storytelling, character development, emotional setup - or anything coherent at all, in many cases - to make those scenes work.

In general, there is an overly-heavy reliance in a lot of modern film-making on CGI, to the detriment of character, plotting and any emotional resonance. As a result, it was a real eye-opener when I was recommended Spartacus by my (hopefully) co-author. It's an exceptional film, largely because the film makers had to develop plot and character because they couldn't rely on a bunch of giant computer-generated robots blowing up to put bums on seats.

Most of the complaints about 'woke' storytelling aren't actually about characters being female or LGBT or black either. It's usually that the filmmakers haven't bothered giving the characters any credible personality or plotting, so they end up just being a one-dimensional stereotype of whatever identity category they've been dropped into, and their every behaviour/plot point is about that one characteristic. Real people aren't like that, and the result is extremely jarring.

It's okay mate.

I'm still waiting for a proper ST series.

I thought Enterprise was okay to be honest but even that is a long time ago now.

The Elf/Vulcan was worth tuning in for too 😍.

Disclaimer: Women (and men) with non pointy ears can be equally attractive.

The Enterprise intro music slays me. What were they thinking. I kinda like some of the back story it fills out and I like Bakula but I just can't vibe it overall, although like you it's been ages since I watched any of it.

I see the legacy characters are all returning for Picard's new series. I love Michael Dorn and he defined what a Klingon could be but he's never one to miss out is he?! He's like Ernie hudosn still killing it as Winston at every opportunity.

The only good thing to come from Discovery was Anson Mounts Christopher Pike, hoping Undiscovered Worlds is more of the same from him without all the woke bull**** writing from Discovery.

DISCO overly woke? Maybe?
A couple being gay and a non-binary person in a cast of dozens doesn't seem woke to me. But it can be ham fisted.

Still - star trek has always been intensely political and progressive. Star wars is where you want to go for non-political sci-fi.
Alot of discos woke bull**** is centered around Burnham, the fact no one can save the day except her single handed is woke BS at its most forced.

Star Trek was always about the crew coming together and solving problems as a team albeit often the main characters themselves but still a team of people, disco is just burnham burnham burnham which gets old fast!

Last edited:
The worst part of DISCO for me is the overreliance on Burnham to be fair!

Also - everything she does is 100/100 on the dramatic scale. And she's constantly whispering instead of acting.

Yeah for me season 2’s Pike and the enterprise crew was the absolute highlight and I am looking forward to seeing more of Anson’s Pike in strange new worlds, just hoping they don’t kruzman it too much!

The Enterprise intro music slays me. What were they thinking. I kinda like some of the back story it fills out and I like Bakula but I just can't vibe it overall, although like you it's been ages since I watched any of it.

I see the legacy characters are all returning for Picard's new series. I love Michael Dorn and he defined what a Klingon could be but he's never one to miss out is he?! He's like Ernie hudosn still killing it as Winston at every opportunity.

Okay, I take it back.

This Friday's episode of Picard was one of if not THE worst episodes of Star Trek I've ever seen. The more I think about it the more it's become clear that we're not seeing character progression. . . . they've completely changed the mans personality. Worse than that though. . . . it wasn't in the least bit entertaining.

I'll keep watching just because they're going to introduce characters from TNG but that's a nostalgic reason as opposed to watching Picard because it's good.

Now I'm really worried what Amazon are going to do with Middle Earth 😬.

Okay, I take it back.

This Friday's episode of Picard was one of if not THE worst episodes of Star Trek I've ever seen. The more I think about it the more it's become clear that we're not seeing character progression. . . . they've completely changed the mans personality. Worse than that though. . . . it wasn't in the least bit entertaining.

I'll keep watching just because they're going to introduce characters from TNG but that's a nostalgic reason as opposed to watching Picard because it's good.

A close friend from school who I grew up watching Star Trek with has told me in no uncertain terms to dodge it!

As for LOTR, that wasn't in need of a reboot at all imo. The Peter Jackson films are so great

Mostly a load of excitable talk about the Pinfest machine donation thread with a a bit of Inter-Club tournament sprinkled on top.

I was at this min thinking about if there would be a chinwag and then you post up lol,

Mostly a load of excitable talk about the Pinfest machine donation thread with a a bit of Inter-Club tournament sprinkled on top.

I was at this min thinking about if there would be a chinwag and then you post up lol,

Okay, I take it back.

just watched it and 100% agree - total unnecessary bull****.

No chinwag today folks.

I'm actually filming pinball tomorrow so should have a cracking video up later this week. Work is so busy at the moment so apologies but time was best spent visiting and filming a very rare machine!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom