What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Pinball Chinwag Podcast UK

script depth? :D; the problem is we all saw Star Wars when we were 5 and it equally has no script depth or just as much as Mando but nostalgia reminds us of things that were good, sadly they aren't always quite as good as we remember.

With Mando - its a freaking TV show about a galaxy far far away. Its here to entertain and its totally nails it -it manages to cram in moral dilemmas, a touch of self doubt, loyalty, the worst of humankind and the best of humankind in an amusing and witty way. Boba Fett takes this further but was a bit too slow at the start but it has potential.

Outside of live events Mando generated more traffic on our network than any other programme; the viewing figures speak for itself!

Neil

The trailer told you all you needed to know about Boba Fett when he announces.

"I'm not a bounty hunter". Really mate? Because that's sort of why I'm invested in the show and character. Not to worry, I'm sure it's just a momentary lapse and he'll be a bad-ass again soon.

"Jabba ruled with fear, I intend to rule with respect". Oh dear, that's not good. . . sounds like a Lib Dem manifesto rather than one of the toughest dudes in the galaxy (albeit a far, far away one). Not to worry I'm sure he'll perk up a bit and find his feisty inner self.

Fennec Shand: "Deal with the the two Jabba Siemese twins. . .. go on Boba, you da man"
Boba Fett: "Maybe we should offer them a couple of Mr Kiplings French Fancies and a nice cup of tea and they'll go away".

Meanwhile the scriptwriters probably sussed that they'd turned the main character into Kofi Annan and his sidekick had become the 'hard' one. So they booted him out of his own series and brought in Mando who then proceeded to stand in the woods watching the dubiously CGI'd Luke chat with the green fella and deciding it was best not to interrupt. . . . .awwww 😍😍😍

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convince you that you dislike it, clearly you love it. I've definitely made up my mind on this particular Star Wars incarnation though and with good reason.

As for this modern stuff being on a similar level to 'A New Hope' and only separated by the tinted spectacles of nostalgia. . . . . . it ain't even close. Harrison Ford was funny and charming, Carie Fisher was wonderfully dry humoured and Antony Daniels had very good comic timing. Crikey, even Yoda was funny in the follow-up but that should be no surprise given that Frank Oz was the genius that gave us Miss Piggy & Cookie Monster. Chuck in an Oscar winning lead actor and possibly John Williams finest ever music etc . . . .

It's actually preposterous to suggest that 'nostalgia reminds us it was good' . . . . it was good. Nostagia told me the A-Team was good, on reflection it was sh1te.

For me Mando & Boba lack charm, humour and real character immersion. I'll concede the moral dilemma part though but having a load of woke crap shoe-horned into sci-fi is not for me.

Moral dilemma works in Ozark but I like my naughty ruthless bounty hunters slightly more ruthless and naughty.

The trailer told you all you needed to know about Boba Fett when he announces.

"I'm not a bounty hunter". Really mate? Because that's sort of why I'm invested in the show and character. Not to worry, I'm sure it's just a momentary lapse and he'll be a bad-ass again soon.

"Jabba ruled with fear, I intend to rule with respect". Oh dear, that's not good. . . sounds like a Lib Dem manifesto rather than one of the toughest dudes in the galaxy (albeit a far, far away one). Not to worry I'm sure he'll perk up a bit and find his feisty inner self.

Fennec Shand: "Deal with the the two Jabba Siemese twins. . .. go on Boba, you da man"
Boba Fett: "Maybe we should offer them a couple of Mr Kiplings French Fancies and a nice cup of tea and they'll go away".

Meanwhile the scriptwriters probably sussed that they'd turned the main character into Kofi Annan and his sidekick had become the 'hard' one. So they booted him out of his own series and brought in Mando who then proceeded to stand in the woods watching the dubiously CGI'd Luke chat with the green fella and deciding it was best not to interrupt. . . . .awwww 😍😍😍

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convince you that you dislike it, clearly you love it. I've definitely made up my mind on this particular Star Wars incarnation though and with good reason.

As for this modern stuff being on a similar level to 'A New Hope' and only separated by the tinted spectacles of nostalgia. . . . . . it ain't even close. Harrison Ford was funny and charming, Carie Fisher was wonderfully dry humoured and Antony Daniels had very good comic timing. Crikey, even Yoda was funny in the follow-up but that should be no surprise given that Frank Oz was the genius that gave us Miss Piggy & Cookie Monster. Chuck in an Oscar winning lead actor and possibly John Williams finest ever music etc . . . .

It's actually preposterous to suggest that 'nostalgia reminds us it was good' . . . . it was good. Nostagia told me the A-Team was good, on reflection it was sh1te.

For me Mando & Boba lack charm, humour and real character immersion. I'll concede the moral dilemma part though but having a load of woke crap shoe-horned into sci-fi is not for me.

Moral dilemma works in Ozark but I like my naughty ruthless bounty hunters slightly more ruthless and naughty.
I came for the pinball, but I stay because of the geeky arguments.......😂

I cannot believe I am in agreement with @Neil McRae on Star Wars, but I am......

I came for the pinball, but I stay because of the geeky arguments.......😂

I cannot believe I am in agreement with @Neil McRae on Star Wars, but I am......
Mate, if you like it you like it. I couldn't convince you otherwise anymore than you could convince me Branston Pickle was tasty...... each to their own.

I start every series with good intentions but there's so much choice these days if something ain't great I'll just gravitate to something else.

When Boba started I'd just discovered Happy Valley series 1. I binged it until 3am 😬.

By the time I'd finished I tried Boba again but just wasn't entertained so watched Deadwood, then tried again but Ozark was back on.

If I like something I'll binge a series in 3 days..... Mando took 3 months. 😬

I just find it a poor imitation of Star Wars...... it's no more Star Wars than Del Boy is Batman 😉

Mate, if you like it you like it. I couldn't convince you otherwise anymore than you could convince me Branston Pickle was tasty...... each to their own.

I start every series with good intentions but there's so much choice these days if something ain't great I'll just gravitate to something else.

When Boba started I'd just discovered Happy Valley series 1. I binged it until 3am 😬.

By the time I'd finished I tried Boba again but just wasn't entertained so watched Deadwood, then tried again but Ozark was back on.

If I like something I'll binge a series in 3 days..... Mando took 3 months. 😬

I just find it a poor imitation of Star Wars...... it's no more Star Wars than Del Boy is Batman 😉
When you come to mine to play some games, I will keep the Branson in the cupboard, I promise.

You make some fair points about Boba, but I saw the series of more of a journey of his character. Yeah, he was a badass, but where did that get him? In the belly of a Sarlacc. So this was maybe his redemption.

But hey, as I always say, each to their own!

Love Davey's creature. Just wild attention to detail!

I have a Flipperama query though, for a few episodes now there's been a black spot on the camera lens... Is a dead pixel or dirt? Once I started seeing it i couldn't unsee it.🤣

I think there are equal number of those new hope moments in Mando and a lot more - I should have phrased my nostalgia statement better. Nostalgia cons us into thinking things were good, and when we watched Star Wars it was good because it was entertaining but it has zero script depth nor character depth, I love Han Solo but his character is about as deep as West Ham's transfer budget! :D but if it came out today I doubt it would do so well, the adjustments to the storyline that follow and precede show that. I love Star Wars (hence why I give the pinball machine such a hard time because its nothing like Star Wars). Mando captures the Star Wars "atmosphere" and the stories are interesting and funny. I agree with you on over woked sci fi and DISCO this season was a total turd because of it but moral dilemmas aren't woke its what Star Wars has always been about, good versus evil, the dark side blah blah. If you take the good vs evil out of Star Wars then its just a boring space story because the only character development in Star Wars hinges on moral dilemmas. And remember the best part of the sound track came in the prequel with Duel of the Fates!

Luke: "Vader's on that ship." Han: "How do you know?" Luke: "What are you, deaf? They're literally playing his song!" Script depth :D

Love Davey's creature. Just wild attention to detail!

I have a Flipperama query though, for a few episodes now there's been a black spot on the camera lens... Is a dead pixel or dirt? Once I started seeing it i couldn't unsee it.🤣

Mate, this has been the subject of much p1$$ taking on my football channel so you're not alone in your observation (some think it's an improvement because it obscures my face). I'm delighted and ashamed to report that it was dirt 😬. It's since been cleaned.

I can only assume that a teardrop must have rolled down my cheek and fallen onto the lens during one of the emotional scenes in the wonderfully scripted Mandalorian.

As for Davey's machine . . . it's an absolute rippler.

This is a look at creature beautifully restored by Davey.

An absolute beauty 🦘

That powder coating, if that’s what you call it as it’s not really powder is it?… is amazing! I need to find out where and how much and look at this for my Elvira SS. Kris you’ve removed a lot of side rails to do this… is it a massive pain?

Yeah I wasn't that bothered about Mandolrian tbh, it had it's moments but I got a few episodes in and didn't bother with the rest. It wasn't bad or anything it just didn't hold my interest. I liked that it was more episodic, a self contained story each week, a nice throwback to older shows but I think for me Star Wars is long dead. Disney milking the life out of it really killed it. It's dramatically better than the new films obviously.
One thing I would say is it's immeasurably better than Star Trek Discovery and Picard which have strayed so far away from the core of Star Trek it's offensive to me

Yeah I wasn't that bothered about Mandolrian tbh, it had it's moments but I got a few episodes in and didn't bother with the rest. It wasn't bad or anything it just didn't hold my interest. I liked that it was more episodic, a self contained story each week, a nice throwback to older shows but I think for me Star Wars is long dead. Disney milking the life out of it really killed it. It's dramatically better than the new films obviously.
One thing I would say is it's immeasurably better than Star Trek Discovery and Picard which have strayed so far away from the core of Star Trek it's offensive to me

Mando just lacked a bit of charisma and seemed to take itself far more seriously than the original films.

Star Trek Discovery is just awful though. The effects are stunning and the actual premise of some of the storyline is quite good.

However the forced messaging and woke agenda is tedious. I know there's a bit of it in Mando and Boba but this is off the scale.

The very last thing I want in my sci-fi is to be lecturered on gender and same sex marriage.

Each to their own and all that but but the audience are there to see the Federation v Borg v Romulan.

The spacecraft looked good though 😬

Mando just lacked a bit of charisma and seemed to take itself far more seriously than the original films.

Star Trek Discovery is just awful though. The effects are stunning and the actual premise of some of the storyline is quite good.

However the forced messaging and woke agenda is tedious. I know there's a bit of it in Mando and Boba but this is off the scale.

The very last thing I want in my sci-fi is to be lecturered on gender and same sex marriage.

Each to their own and all that but but the audience are there to see the Federation v Borg v Romulan.

The spacecraft looked good though 😬

I hadn't realised you were such a BIGOT Gonz.

I kid of course. I swear we're going to look back on this time of woke culture and the cynical insertion of it into popular IPs as even more ridiculous than we do now.

DISCO overly woke? Maybe?
A couple being gay and a non-binary person in a cast of dozens doesn't seem woke to me. But it can be ham fisted.

Still - star trek has always been intensely political and progressive. Star wars is where you want to go for non-political sci-fi.

I gave up on Disco after the first series but I was talking more generally about wokeness or whatever you'd like to call it being wedged into Star Wars, Picard or even Ghostbusters. You don't want half baked gender politics wedged into things willy nilly.

As for Star Trek being political, DS9 certainly is and showed that dark side of the universe and the possible realities of living in Rodenberry's vision. But it wasn't ham-fisted and for the most part extremely well written. TOS and TNG are progressive by their very nature, not as some cynical cash-in on a trend but because that's naturally how they were written.

I agree with most of what you said there honestly, except I don't see the fake wokeness in Picard either. DISCO has been much better in the recent seasons.

Ghostbuster, sure.

I just bristle when people call something woke just because it happens to have a woman / non-white / queer character.

There's still plenty of straight white men in star trek, you aren't being erased.

Last edited:
Disco 1&2 was superb but last series are turds,

Picard is better and has tilted its hat at history E.g. the punk on the bus from TVH but Patrick Stewart looks like an old codger who tells you to stop swearing And get your feet of the seats in a bus now. I like the Picard crew Rojos is ****ing bad ass.

I agree with most of what you said there honestly, except I don't see the fake wokeness in Picard either. DISCO has been much better in the recent seasons.

Ghostbuster, sure.

I just bristle when people call something woke just because it happens to have a woman / non-white / queer character.

There's still plenty of straight white men in star trek, you aren't being erased.
Nah sorry with disco is way more than that - they are ticking the boxes of wokeness rather than actually developing a character and their context - the last episode with the earth president just confirmed that.

I agree with most of what

Why the final sentence? Honestly?

Why cut and paste that on others thoughts?

Absolutely nobody said that or even hinted at it.

Who was it aimed at? One person in particular or just straight white blokes?

For the record (and Spencer will happily confirm this) I was best man at a gay wedding and a lot of my family are black.

Star Trek Voyager had a mixed race crew and a woman as captain and it was good (although it hasn't aged well). You never felt it was steering the narrative though. Janeway was captain and the leader but I never felt there was any message going on. She wasn't shoehorned in because she was a woman..... she had authority and that was enough.

"There's still plenty of straight white men, you aren't being erased".

I'm astounded by that comment.

The irony is that the above comment is by far the most bigoted thing on here.

Back on track (sort of), I'm enjoying season 2 of Picard a lot more than the first.

I don't know if it's the Borg Queen of a bit of time travel but it seems a bit more entertaining and dramatic. Maybe Q & Brent Spiner have added something too . . . I quite like it.

Yes best left there. If someone could just explain why Seven of Nine is no longer an ice cool logical type and is now a cynical boozer who is also gay then that'd be great.

Back on track (sort of), I'm enjoying season 2 of Picard a lot more than the first.

I don't know if it's the Borg Queen of a bit of time travel but it seems a bit more entertaining and dramatic. Maybe Q & Brent Spiner have added something too . . . I quite like it.

Should I try again? I think I'm destined to watch TNG and DS9 on repeat forever and I think I'm okay with that

Back
Top Bottom