What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Hobbit

I *generally* like the look of it though Smaug is a disappointment after all the build up seems little interaction with the ball, those VUKs on either side are f*ck ugly, the axes on the slings look like cheap cr*p, the book looks a bit too big and rubbish, and the 3rd flipper seems utterly pointless.

The rest of it is ace :D

@SOUTH COAST SLAM get yr mum to buy one yeah ;)

Last edited:
Must admit I'm not blown away by Smaug...but not disappointed either.

Overall the game looks very good...if they get the rules right it will be awesome.

Feeling glad I walked away from the machine last month.

Really don't trust anything that is said about the machine at this stage. Initial date slid by 6 months due to "film restraints". Now talking about Jan rather than Dec. Yet again different artwork. Why? What happens to people who don't want the limited artwork will they get their machines first or have to wait until the limited run is made? Will the number of smaug machines then be taken off the limited run number?

Smaug looks OK but isn't exactly exciting. Why all the secrecy if it's just a head that moves a bit. Thought it was meant to be interactive. Not quite as **** as dancing angus but not the main feature it had been talked up as being.

Can't hit the dragon with a ball as it didn't happen in the film? **** me guess those flippers should also be taken out then as they weren't in the film. I was expecting something like the T rex in JP but with 20 years more innovation involved. Can't help feeling that they had a bigger dream and it simply didn't work. There's nothing there that couldn't have been revealed after the last film showed Smaug so I doubt it's a film issue.

Everything that getting criticised is being blamed on the film guys stopping the company and insisting on things. Isn't that the nature of a licence though?

Hope it plays really well and I may still pick up a 2nd hand one in the future but I was hoping I'd feel gutted that I'd dropped out rather than just nothing when I saw the reveal..

I *generally* like the look of it though Smaug is a disappointment after all the build up seems little interaction with the ball, those VUKs on either side are f*ck ugly, the axes on the slings look like cheap cr*p, the book looks a bit too big and rubbish, and the 3rd flipper seems utterly pointless.

The rest of it is ace :D

@SOUTH COAST SLAM get yr mum to buy one yeah ;)

You sir are a penis ;)

Like the way the drop targets move up and down I assume to allow for a ball to go through to register hits to the dragon.
Looking very very cool and like woz it's going to make TWD look like a free happy meal toy ;)

So you can't hit those targets with the upper flipper? Is that right?
If that's the case then that's just pants :(

Thanks for the video

Video screen looks far better than for WOZ to me. I'm guessing this is also one area where they are still very restricted as to what they can show until the film is released. I'll be interested to see how they've done multi-ball etc. Hoping it's via a film sequence and wording rather than their own animation

Pop up "trolls" look better than before (guess because you can't see the detail as much when placed in the machine). Was hoping though that some of the early speculation would be right and the pop ups might also be subways if hit from behind. Guess that was always a pipedream.

**** me, those slighshot plastics are dreadful! Who the **** though that was a good idea? Oh well one good airball might solve that issue;)

Still not convinced about Smaug. reminds me of the animatronics at lego land, they move a bit but then you just think why bother? Not knocking the sculpting, just the point of it. Large chunk of playfield that I was really hoping would do something original. More than anything else I think it's going back to the R2D2 on SW. Moves a bit but isn't really anything to shout about.. Wonder if it's modable to give a better fire effect?

I'm assuming a lot of the metal ramps will be covered by something? The Lonely mountain?

Glad it's coming together and really looking forward to playing it

just seen the book. Bilbo's not to bright as he's written his first chapter half way through the book:rolleyes:

The more I think about it the more it seems something went wrong with Smaug, the original pitch from Jack was that he would "interact with the player/ball in several ways". A real shame that this looks like it's changed. For me the whole reveal looked like it would be about the dragon.

Seems like there should be some interesting effects with the drop targets though. Possibly a bit like Cactus Canyon with specific targets to shoot for.o

Part of the problem for me is the pre-pay system. You get promised a bunch of things and then they aren't delivered (or are delivered in a way that you didn't expect). Think I'm done with it. If I ever buy new again it will be on a fully available machine. I've gto issues with Sterns limited system but at least people know what they will get (although wasn't there some crap about Transformers having transforming toys?)

Looks a bit 'meh' to me right now. In comparison to woz, the art isn't on the same level but I agree the screens animations look fantastic.

As for the pre-order thing, I too am done with it. Over promising and under delivering is the name of the game so unless there is a fully working machine for me to see or play before purchase i think its safe to assume its all smoke, mirrors and fairy dust in the minds of the creators.

I'm staying in on Hobbit until I see the launch version. Should hopefully get to play one at EAG in Jan before mine is shipped so I can then make an informed decision.

For a salesman Jack really does come over badly - thank God we get to deal with people like Phil:)

I think it's fair to say that there's a fair bit of negativity about the machine on pinside over the weekend. The book and the size of the gold coins are both getting a bashing as well as the general unfinished look of the machine and Smaug. As normal some of the points are valid, some not and some just stupid.

Rather than try to calm things down Jack's been posting pretty cryptic comments and refusing to say if the machine is currently finished which seems to be a major concern for many of the paid up customers. If there's improvements to be made then why not be honest about it rather than trying too dodge questions (Personally I suspect that there are plastic etc still to come that will cover the exposed mechanisms given how well finished WOZ looks)

Even worse he's now shouting his mouth off about a chain of 70+ cinemas who "might" be interested in buying a machine and stating what fantastic news this is.

Well, yes more machines on site is cool, but lets face it the only way this will happen is if they get them in time for the film launch, so...... people who have pre-paid for 2 years just got bumped down the build list. FFS, yes it might make short term financial sense but I'd be spitting blood about it. Did he expect people to be happy with this development? I can understand doing it and then letting people know after the event but if you've got customers talking about dropping out then why go out of your way to **** them off more? I seem to remember something similar about the WOZ build when a large order came in.

He also hasn't exactly covered himself in glory about taking full payment for MMr when all the other distros are just asking for a deposit.

I respect the bloke for putting cash up and starting a pinball company but seriously, he should hire a PR guy to stop shooting himself in the foot. Although I don't like the theme TBL's PR has been in a different league so far.

I don't mind waiting now, I want to play the game at EAG after its "finished" if I don't like it I'm going to pull out.
This whole 86 games for a theatre- great but only due to the theme, the theratre owner doesn't give a **** about how it plays put it in the lobby whilst showing the hobbit and will make money, once a $ is put in, no getting it back! But will the artery buy JJPs other pins!? I don't think so, he needs to keep the home market happy as come the 3 title people might just boycot it because of his Broken promises this time round.

Without stirring too much I wonder what might happen to those 84 machines when the film run ends. That's a lot of machines to hit the 2nd hand market in one go (I'm guessing they would do really well for the first month but then have a sharp trail off in takings). It would be even funnier if they started to be sold before the rest of the pre-order machines had gone out. Jack might just find he loses 30-40 sales as a result of this bulk deal. O, in reality most would probably be kept for 12 months but it would be funny...

Maybe the best thing that could happen to the UK is if Jack could get 30-40 machines into the Odeon chain and then we could pick them up dirt cheap at Easter;)

OK, so apparently new playfield artwork is soon to be released with a bigger and better Smaug...but I'm struggling with this, there doesn't seem to be a lot to the playfield, what happened to the innovation that we were promised?

A bit disappointed with the Smaug toy, a rotating and talking head, is this innovation? Rudy is better and that was 1989!

No doubt there will be improvements as Jack listens to the pinsiders and does what he can to please the masses, but I can't see that this one is ever going to live up to the hype. When I put my deposit down I thought this was the must have up and coming machine but that has changed...TBL looks amazing and Alien has huge potential.

I'd even go as far to say....if given the choice between TH and WOZ right now I would go for WOZ.

I'm holding on in case there are major improvements, not sure how long though. Any others bailing out?

Maybe my dislike of WoZ is clouding my judgement.

Hah yes thinking the same here. It's really too early to say without playing it, but right now at this stage for me it looks too easy, slow & boring, I don't think any amount of toys & display is going to help that.

Who knows but I would deffo like to shove 2 bricks under the back legs to ramp the speed up. :wave:

I'm still in, despite my dislike/disappointment with WOZ. Hopefully, TH will be at EAG in January and we can make a more informed decision then.

Whilst I'm short of $8,999 the chances of me ordering this or WOZ are very slim indeed. But this is a forum so I can pour my absent-minded ramblings on here for free in the mean time.

The Hobbit is not grabbing me at all. Not the art, theme, design or gameplay. I've had some good exposure to WOZ as a friend has one and compared to that I don't see any progress or innovation. The Hobbit seems like a pretty straight-up, vanilla, DMD-era pinball machine. A mainly wide open playfield with two major ramp shots straight up the middle (and I'm not liking that big steel cross-over ramp). I don't doubt that JJP will build it with the same meticulous attention to detail and quality - you can almost feel the quality oozing out of WOZ, it's beautifully engineered and built like a tank - but I think WOZ will remain a better pin.

Then again, the overwhelming majority will probably love it. It'll be the best selling pin ever. Look at AC/DC... an utterly **** machine with it's plastic cr@p dancing toy-town band, but everyone loves it! And don't get me started on Stern's The Rolling Stones... sheesh...

I'm still in, waiting for the DPO showing this weekend.

I've changed to the Smaug SE. I would really like to see/play the game before

Just an observation, but I wonder how much the good faith of private individuals stumping up their hard-earned cash in advance supports companies such as JJP compared to the commercial sector? Putting down several thousand dollars in advance for something that is pretty much a blind purchase is quite a serious commitment from a home hobbyist. I noticed on the Predator thread people are getting concerned that there has been almost total "radio silence" from Skit-B but that it will be fine if it doesn't come off as they'll get their deposits back. In my experience companies going bust don't have a good history of returning customers money...

J Putting down several thousand dollars in advance for something that is pretty much a blind purchase is quite a serious commitment from a home hobbyist. I noticed on the Predator thread people are getting concerned that there has been almost total "radio silence" from Skit-B but that it will be fine if it doesn't come off as they'll get their deposits back. In my experience companies going bust don't have a good history of returning customers money...
yeah we're crazy fools alright...taking a big gamble really on these new machines, who knows if all these companies will survive?

When I put a deposit on TH I thought it was going to be something special, and I would own a version that was limited to those who took the gamble. The Smaug Edition makes a mockery of that, as it's an unlimited run until the end of the year . The LE's didn't sell out anyway, and despite claims that they were nearly sold out, I don't believe it. I'm losing faith, the new artwork may rekindle my interest a little bit, but not enough, there needs to be some major improvements.

The pinsider who created the Predator scare has just received his refund, after weeks of non-response from Skit-B, it took the power of the forum only a few days to resolve.

Back
Top Bottom