What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Hobbit

Does smaug interact with the ball a la Rudy style? Can't see any locks etc...

Jack appears to be imitating a slimey salesman, it's the reason I don't want to buy one of his games. To announce ANOTHER LE of another game but this time even before production is an absolutely ridiculous money grab. The guy is a first class tool, I think he's doing an amazing job at alienating people.

So it seems for your extra thousand dollars you get:

Alternative Smaug artwork.
Gold Trim and legs.
Gold Smaug toy.
Smaug attract mode.

Seriously racked off about this, not worth paying the extra and why can't the LE have these features? It's not like the LE was a bargain price.

That looks the shizzle :)
And with the new ethos of never buying a new game as soon as it comes out ( apart from a blues brothers pin , never gonna happen) I can't wait to see what this turns out like , certainly already just from a few pictures puts TWD to shame. But as we all know code and early days and all that

Jack is basically saying "You thought you had ordered the best version with the LE, you were wrong, you need to hand over more money if you want the best version of this game"

Well at least announcing it now gives buyers a chance to opt out, unlike WOZ LE owners who already had their's when the Ruby Red version was announced.

Hmmm reading on Pinside looks like the general vibe is that LE preorders will be able to switch for free...in which case I take it all back.

fingers crossed then :thumbs:

Jack appears to be imitating a slimey salesman, it's the reason I don't want to buy one of his games. To announce ANOTHER LE of another game but this time even before production is an absolutely ridiculous money grab. The guy is a first class tool, I think he's doing an amazing job at alienating people.

How's it a money grab when you can swap for free?

Ironic that you are full of support for Andy who is taking pre orders for game number 2 before we've even seen number 1 finished?

Calm down, I'm swapping my LE order for the better LE version for free!

So its not a money grab, facts gentlemen lets get the facts.

And in any case all will play exactly the same just like all the versions of WOZ's, you can not play trim, art, or toppers! More than can be said about Stern machines.

If this is the case I will have the gold Smaug version as the seaside bronze is ****!
VERY disappointed at SMAUG, thought it would have been better from JJP. It looks like a Rudy's/TDK mash up, not sure how Smaug will take the balls as said in the flyer, prob just goes in a hole and he says your not getting it back or something,

Looking at Martins news again I read it as hobbit LE owners will get a choice if they stump up the $500 extra, what does that mean for us UK buyers!

Dave I agree, I'll upgrade to Smaug Gold SE but the glossy side-art not the super thick (what ever that is)!

Thinking of adding the playfield protector at factory as well.

What a let down Smaug is! I can not see how it would 'steal your pinball'!

Dam it! Anyone know why I can't attach files with the new Apple upgrade!
On Pinside, page 2 confirmation that current LE owners upgrade at no cost. Result!

Phil @ PH also mentioned this to me just now.

JJP were vetoed on their plans for Smaug by the licence holder. They were told that it doesn't swallow pinballs or get bashed in the film so it shouldn't in the game either

How's it a money grab when you can swap for free?

It's great that he's "allowing" people who ordered and paid up front for the LE (as in the people who have helped fund his company) to swap to the "real LE" for free. All I'm saying is that Jack keeps on producing multiple LE versions of the game thus diluting the market and making the actual LE not the real LE. The game looks lovely, I just don't like his salesmanship.

Ironic that you are full of support for Andy who is taking pre orders for game number 2 before we've even seen number 1 finished?

Where am I "Full" of support? I wished him the best and said tongue in cheek that it was an announcement of the announcement. I disagree with taking pre-orders, but I understand why it's done.

People have given money to PPS, JJP and Stern (For LEs) up front in the past year. Andy is taking a playable game to expo as far as I understand. I don't think any of us can imagine the effort taken in bringing a game to production.

It's not too dissimilar to releasing a pro, premium, 2 x LE's and then a vault edition a couple of years down the line though.

It's not too dissimilar to releasing a pro, premium, 2 x LE's and then a vault edition a couple of years down the line though.

Since the advent of Pro, Premium and LEs, they have generally been announced at product release by Stern (apart from Avatar I think??) Vault edition is no different to the fact that Stern have often re-run games more than a year after "official" production ended.

So I think you are incorrect saying "not too dissimilar", IMO the most similar examples would be ACDC Luci which was a definite Stern money grab and the Metallica "Monsters" premium (but I think this was before production commenced).

Stern has thus only done it a couple of times on a reasonably large selection. JJP is 2/2, I understand he wants to make as much money as possible, I also understand people don't have to buy, but to call these "Limited" Editions is in my eyes naughty.

There's nothing wrong with choice, each version of the Hobbit looks great - I much prefer it to WoZ

JJP were vetoed on their plans for Smaug by the licence holder. They were told that it doesn't swallow pinballs or get bashed in the film so it shouldn't in the game either
I struggle to get my head around this; it seems like too much of a convenient excuse for what ultimately seems a bit of an underwhelming reveal... I'm an IP Solicitor who deals with licensing day in day out - if JJP could have put a valid case forward for a 'better' product that fulfilled the wants and desires of consumers, WB would listen. Either that or they are really s**te at negotiating/communicating as a licensee...

So no Smaug ball lock! WTF so it will be a lousy 'virtual' lock! I do hate those.

Also, what's the story with the sling 'toys'? The original axes on the drawings looked great, the ones in the images above look like cheap crap!

Upgrade to the abaxas ultra edition at only £36k.

Comes complete with 100 x cheapo 99p plastic toys superglued to the playfield and a can of 'spray gold' to use at your discretion.

Damn, it knocks Stern games out of the park! And I am a Stern buyer.
On a buying strike but I want one of these:)

Back
Top Bottom