What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The all new eBay Auctions / Facebook / Gumtree / Shpock 2021 thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only 10.5K for the earlier 2 and 11K for HoH!
Maybe 20K for the set?? :eek:
Or you could get 1 pin for double the price!

Only £5000 per month interest free!! Bargain!!

pinball meme.jpg

As a lifelong beatles fan, even i wouldn’t stump up £40k, not even £10k, i’ll maybe buy a beatles pin when/if i can find a good one sub £5k.

I really object to these price loaded pinballs. beatles, elvira hoh, at the end of the day it’s just another pinball machine.

yours faithfully, Mr. Grumpy. 😂

Poorly photo’d Judge Dredd just come up on gumtree for £3.9 apparently they sell for 5-8k!!! Is this true ? is there a parallel Pinball Universe where “very good condition” funhouses sell for 3.3, and JD s that haven’t been cleaned in 20years, like the filthy one on Facebook marketplace, sell for 6.5k.

HLD advertise £5k for a JD. Liberty games £7.5k. I guess that's the seller's reference points... :(

I'm sorry but people are nuts if they buy a JD at 5k. You can have a modern stern for that kind of moola.

Its got to be £3k max or if £5k it better look so f'ing new I can see my ugly face on the playfield.

I'm sorry but people are nuts if they buy a JD at 5k. You can have a modern stern for that kind of moola.

Its got to be £3k max or if £5k it better look so f'ing new I can see my ugly face on the playfield.

Ever thought you may be the one who may be slightly naive , dropping 7k on a pin that stern spend more time planning what to cut out than designing.
Believe it or not not everyone thinks modern sterns are the Best pins ever made.

i think people are also a bit silly buying a pin that is only a few months old at very near the new price having just lost the 2 year warranty.
but a lot are doing it , does that make the seller a scalper or the buyer in your terms a nutter ?

lots of ways to see the buying of pins s000m, I myself believe I must be stupid and nuts especially as I have 2 jd pins as i read 2000 ad as a kid.

Believe it or not not everyone thinks modern sterns are the Best pins ever made.
It does depend on *which* modern Stern. I personally don't understand why you'd pay £9.5k for a Stranger Things Premium when you could get AFM, which is basically the same pin, for less.

Likewise, there are a bunch of truly mediocre pins (e.g. Mando, LZ) where I'd need to be a huge fan of the theme to buy them. The Beatles is especially mad - it's basically Seawitch with modern sound/lighting/graphics and a huge price tag.

I'm tempted to spend money on the Keith Elwin designs because, unfortunately, there simply isn't a vintage equivalent. Elwin wasn't designing back in the 80s/90s so, like it or lump it, if I want one of his designs, I've got to buy from Stern.

TBH, there also seems to be a bunch of people who simply don't enjoy messing around with vintage electronics. That's fair enough and the consequence of that is that they end up paying over the odds for a new pin or something that's already been heavily workshopped.

Ever thought you may be the one who may be slightly naive , dropping 7k on a pin that stern spend more time planning what to cut out than designing.

i think people are also a bit silly buying a pin that is only a few months old at very near the new price having just lost the 2 year warranty.
but a lot are doing it , does that make the seller a scalper or the buyer in your terms a nutter ?

lots of ways to see the buying of pins s000m, I myself believe I must be stupid and nuts especially as I have 2 jd pins as i read 2000 ad as a kid.

I mean for me I would buy new IF they were availiable and actually don't have a waiting list of 6 months plus. I don't like the idea of keeping money aside for a pin that may never even hit our shores in the near future.

I'm also of the 'now' generation where if I've decided I want something I don't want to be sat waiting for it by that time something else has likely come out and I've of lost interest in buying it over the 'next big thing'.

As for the warranty I've basically learnt through fire on how to maintain any modern machine so warranty doesn't mean much for me unless its to resolve a faulty part. Even then in those situations I've contacted Stern and they've sent me parts (like my replacement spring for the Star Trek Premium I bought) FOC. Its always a gamble buying used but I like to think I'm not going to buy something that looks like its been through a war for £5k when I can have a modern pin with the odd scuff or scratch for the same money? I know where I'd put my money.

If I take my Stranger Things as an example its going on strong with zero replacement parts to it and shows no signs of problems I didn't have to buy it new and I saved money in the process. Yes its basically a rebadged AFM but tbh I prefer this over AFM (massive theme fan).

I mean for me I would buy new IF they were availiable and actually don't have a waiting list of 6 months plus. I don't like the idea of keeping money aside for a pin that may never even hit our shores in the near future.

I'm also of the 'now' generation where if I've decided I want something I don't want to be sat waiting for it by that time something else has likely come out and I've of lost interest in buying it over the 'next big thing'.

As for the warranty I've basically learnt through fire on how to maintain any modern machine so warranty doesn't mean much for me unless its to resolve a faulty part. Even then in those situations I've contacted Stern and they've sent me parts (like my replacement spring for the Star Trek Premium I bought) FOC. Its always a gamble buying used but I like to think I'm not going to buy something that looks like its been through a war for £5k when I can have a modern pin with the odd scuff or scratch for the same money? I know where I'd put my money.

If I take my Stranger Things as an example its going on strong with zero replacement parts to it and shows no signs of problems I didn't have to buy it new and I saved money in the process. Yes its basically a rebadged AFM but tbh I prefer this over AFM (massive theme fan).

I have just had huge problems with my iron maiden le, as the node board has gone and I had to replace it, same with Neils game of thrones ?

I own a Beatles and Thunderbirds too, so I must be crazy 😜😂

all machines break and if you bought an older pin off Chris Brim for 5k it would give your new stern a very good run for it’s money.
I have had a Bally afm nicely maintained at my house for 5 years never missed a beat.
iron maiden le didn’t last a day !!!

glad you have had good luck and hope it continues for you

Wow! I cannot believe the difference in approach. I have already decided on my final collection of five pins: LoTR, FT, MM(r?), JP2/GZ [the 'Elwin' slot] and BK2000, with a possible sixth entrant - Black Hole, WH20 or Hurricane.

It will probably take us the next two to five years to assemble that collection.

I can't see myself getting distracted by the 'new hotness' when there are stone-cold classics that other people have owned and played for 30 years.

It depends on what you're talking about. There are super-mint reconditioned vintage pins going for £4-5k, including new playfields, powder-coated armour, colorDMD, LEDS - the works. My LoTR is in excellent condition with only three HUO owners from new. I wouldn't expect to pay £5k for something that had 'been through a war'. Even my FT, which I got massively overpriced from a retail seller, was only £3k! It's also perfectly playable and, although it could do with being re-decaled - it doesn't look like it's 'been through a war'.

I do take your point on the warranty TBH. I don't see the point in waiting for someone to fix my pin when I can fix it myself, and most parts are cheap except for the Spike II node boards. If you buy something new, you're not guaranteed it will be playable out of the box or won't have early-life failure. Personally, I prefer if someone 'wears in' a pin before I buy it, and also that they take the 'depreciation' hit from new as I'm not interested in keeping up with the latest crazes.

I do think, if people are dismissing vintage pins, you're missing out on a lot of great fun stuff. I've played stuff from the 80s that is better than some modern Sterns. And, likewise, I've played modern Sterns (Elwin) that are among the best designs of all time IMO. It just seems a shame to have to populate your collection with entirely new stuff - you're really missing out.

Last edited:
Wow! I cannot believe the difference in approach. I have already decided on my final collection of five pins: LoTR, FT, MM(r?), JP2/GZ [the 'Elwin' slot] and BK2000, with a possible sixth entrant - Black Hole, WH20 or Hurricane.

It will probably take us the next two to five years to assemble that collection.

I can't see myself getting distracted by the 'new hotness' when there are stone-cold classics that other people have owned and played for 30 years.

Yeah I honestly don't have a 'final' list. I used to but now its more. Is it something I want and its for sale at a reasonable price.

I expanded the house to accomodate more pins so I didn't have to have a final list. Eventually I'm sure I'll grow bored of what I have and will change it out.

It depends on what you're talking about. There are super-mint reconditioned vintage pins going for £4-5k, including new playfields, powder-coated armour, colorDMD, LEDS - the works. My LoTR is in excellent condition with only three HUO owners from new. I wouldn't expect to pay £5k for something that had 'been through a war'. Even my FT, which I got massively overpriced from a retail seller, was only £3k! It's also perfectly playable and, although it could do with being re-decaled - it doesn't look like it's 'been through a war'.

When I refer to the 3k price i'm referring to those pins which are I believe the term is 'players condition'. I really don't like that term it almost feels like if you aren't a business you're slotted into that description term. As for £5k for a mint I still don't know. It would have to be a rare pin and something I couldn't just replicate myself. I can do all the bells and whistles myself so why pay someone else to do it.

Recently i'm seeing a lot of beat up games going for silly money (not on here other than the recent FH) and it irks me that people think its acceptable to put a one line description a picture so dark and blurry it could be a shot showing evidence of big foot.

I do take your point on the warranty TBH. I don't see the point in waiting for someone to fix my pin when I can fix it myself, and most parts are cheap except for the Spike II node boards. If you buy something new, you're not guaranteed it will be playable out of the box or won't have early-life failure. Personally, I prefer if someone 'wears in' a pin before I buy it, and also that they take the 'depreciation' hit from new as I'm not interested in keeping up with the latest crazes.

I do think, if people are dismissing vintage pins, you're missing out on a lot of great fun stuff. I've played stuff from the 80s that is better than some modern Sterns. And, likewise, I've played modern Sterns (Elwin) that are among the best designs of all time IMO. It just seems a shame to have to populate your collection with entirely new stuff - you're really missing out.

I think it's weird having a final list. I used to have a list of seven in mind but as I've attended more events and played more games it's changed. I don't have the room for all the games I'd like.
You're still quite new, do you not expect to discover other games in the coming years?

Don't you think you might like space for at least 1 rotator @VeeMonroe ? Just to keep things fresh and interesting? Or do you think you can get that enough on location being in London? I really enjoy learning a new machine, even if it doesnt end up being one of my favourites, finding all the little things you only find after a certain number of plays, or different ways to play etc. I only have space for 2 plus my vpin so probably nothing is a keeper unless we end up being able to convert our garage. With space and money in mind its going to be a 1 in 1 out policy for me, probably at a rate of 1 a year. I already have my next one on order for hopefully next year if Stern can keep up so either JP or Turtles will have to go then!

Don't you think you might like space for at least 1 rotator @VeeMonroe ? Just to keep things fresh and interesting? Or do you think you can get that enough on location being in London? I really enjoy learning a new machine, even if it doesnt end up being one of my favourites, finding all the little things you only find after a certain number of plays, or different ways to play etc. I only have space for 2 plus my vpin so probably nothing is a keeper unless we end up being able to convert our garage. With space and money in mind its going to be a 1 in 1 out policy for me, probably at a rate of 1 a year. I already have my next one on order for hopefully next year if Stern can keep up so either JP or Turtles will have to go then!
I think our plan was to rotate the pin in the ‘Elwin’ slot and also to sell LoTR once we managed to get to Valinor (!).

I suspect that BK2000 also won’t have endless staying power either, but my older son really enjoyed playing it at FlipOut. It depends on whether I end up with a ‘project‘ or more of a ‘mint’ version: I’d want to hold onto a completed ‘project’.

Between FlipOut, Chief Coffee and the Brunswick Arcade (and Gravity and Plonk Golf…), there are a LOT of pins on public display in London and we’ve enjoyed exploring various locations over the summer using the Pinside Map for guidance. Also, I play a lot of pinball on my iPad/phone. My major ’gaps’ are in older Gottliebs and also JJP - I haven’t seen any of those on public display in the UK.

I have the attitudes I do because I‘ve come out of collecting board games. We had about 800 at one point and we’re now down to 130. There was a lot of ‘new hotness’ and selling/trading in that hobby, but at a higher intensity because they’re cheaper than pins. Eventually I realised that my top 100 board games were pretty constant for years on end and buying endless new stuff didn’t change my core preferences. Likewise, there was a limit to how many board games we could explore and enjoy. So, based on that experience, I’m thinking ‘how many pins do you own before the next one adds marginal value?’ (seems to be around 5-7). Also, I assume the vast majority of games (of any type) are average in quality and, if I’ve played something for 20 minutes and don’t enjoy it, I’m unlikely to enjoy owning it.

Reactions: Jib
I disliked my favourite pin of all time the first two times I played it. Same with turtles, I'd not have considered it and didn't like it the first week of owning. Now I love it!
Same with music, I find the best albums are the ones that take time to grow😊

I think our plan was to rotate the pin in the ‘Elwin’ slot and also to sell LoTR once we managed to get to Valinor (!).

I suspect that BK2000 also won’t have endless staying power either, but my older son really enjoyed playing it at FlipOut. It depends on whether I end up with a ‘project‘ or more of a ‘mint’ version: I’d want to hold onto a completed ‘project’.

Between FlipOut, Chief Coffee and the Brunswick Arcade (and Gravity and Plonk Golf…), there are a LOT of pins on public display in London and we’ve enjoyed exploring various locations over the summer using the Pinside Map for guidance. Also, I play a lot of pinball on my iPad/phone. My major ’gaps’ are in older Gottliebs and also JJP - I haven’t seen any of those on public display in the UK.

I have the attitudes I do because I‘ve come out of collecting board games. We had about 800 at one point and we’re now down to 130. There was a lot of ‘new hotness’ and selling/trading in that hobby, but at a higher intensity because they’re cheaper than pins. Eventually I realised that my top 100 board games were pretty constant for years on end and buying endless new stuff didn’t change my core preferences. Likewise, there was a limit to how many board games we could explore and enjoy. So, based on that experience, I’m thinking ‘how many pins do you own before the next one adds marginal value?’ (seems to be around 5-7). Also, I assume the vast majority of games (of any type) are average in quality and, if I’ve played something for 20 minutes and don’t enjoy it, I’m unlikely to enjoy owning it.
Bit far to go from London but @steve brum has a woz up in Nuneaton, plays nice, I had to have a go when I was up there collecting,

Didn't realise it was so cheap, I have to get one to go alongside my stern supreme 🤭

Didn't realise it was so cheap, I have to get one to go alongside my stern supreme
Bargain surely!! 🤣😭🤣😂😜
But it has fast shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom