What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found it! The Addams Family / TAF

Hello Everyone,

I got hold of a TAF!! :clap:
Thank you all for your great support and advice.
You supported me throughout when I was feeling low and helped in every possible way with tips and advices.
I couldn't have across to a better person, the gentleman who sold it to me, used to repair pinball machines throughout his life as a job.
This was his last pin left and was mechanically and electronically kept really well, fully serviced
There some minor cosmetics imperfections on the playfield and the top box, but the price reflected that, his age didn't allow him to do bigger jobs such as replacing the playfield etc.
I couldn't have asked for more, I very pleased and I am very happy with the pinball.
It was a long drive today, but I got it home all in one piece and it's up and running.
Be nice to have a photo put up on this thread, congratulations

Here are a few pictures. There is a bit of reflection from the windows behind, I tried to cover it, but hey, you can see the item.
I didn't get a chance to play much, yesterday was a long day driving and spending time with the previous owner guiding me on basics and possible problems, then bringing it in the house set it all up, etc...
He was so kind and helpful, I think I have been lucky. I'm so blessed to have found this community too.
I bought a full set of replacement boards from the same gentleman, although some most problems can be solved you never know....

Attachments

• IMG_0991.jpg
    IMG_0991.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0996.jpg
    IMG_0996.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0997.jpg
    IMG_0997.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 127
Here are a few pictures. There is a bit of reflection from the windows behind, I tried to cover it, but hey, you can see the item.
I didn't get a chance to play much, yesterday was a long day driving and spending time with the previous owner guiding me on basics and possible problems, then bringing it in the house set it all up, etc...
He was so kind and helpful, I think I have been lucky. I'm so blessed to have found this community too.
I bought a full set of replacement boards from the same gentleman, although some most problems can be solved you never know....

Looks great! The only problems aside from a couple of blown bulbs on mine were: a ribbon cable coming loose, and a sensor needing a clean.
Good advice I've had as a noob has been to replace the balls (one was very visibly pitted), check the battery compartment for corrosion/leaky batteries, and to keep the surface clean and waxed. Had great help from someone over the phone to fix the display/cable issue. I've found everyone to be really helpful.
Let us know what you think of it once you've played some, I'm still after my 1 billion score!

WOW, a full set of extra boards, that will have hiked up your overall cost, good to have spares though

Looks great! The only problems aside from a couple of blown bulbs on mine were: a ribbon cable coming loose, and a sensor needing a clean.
Good advice I've had as a noob has been to replace the balls (one was very visibly pitted), check the battery compartment for corrosion/leaky batteries, and to keep the surface clean and waxed. Had great help from someone over the phone to fix the display/cable issue. I've found everyone to be really helpful.
Let us know what you think of it once you've played some, I'm still after my 1 billion score!
Thank you for the tips, I will learn a lot hopefully soon, definitely will need to get my hands dirty soon and that's not just cleaning it!

Fingers crossed!

Hello Everyone,

I got hold of a TAF!! :clap:
Thank you all for your great support and advice.
You supported me throughout when I was feeling low and helped in every possible way with tips and advices.
I couldn't have across to a better person, the gentleman who sold it to me, used to repair pinball machines throughout his life as a job.
This was his last pin left and was mechanically and electronically kept really well, fully serviced
There some minor cosmetics imperfections on the playfield and the top box, but the price reflected that, his age didn't allow him to do bigger jobs such as replacing the playfield etc.
I couldn't have asked for more, I very pleased and I am very happy with the pinball.
It was a long drive today, but I got it home all in one piece and it's up and running.
good stuff, any pics?

Thank you Ant, that is really appreciated. It's really helpful to have someone from this community here close to me and someone that knows the TAF!
had my tafg for 20yrs, they can be very temperamental. normally just need to reseat plugs etc...ive had it all i think? lol you ever need some advice...drop me a pm. looks a clean machine, be great for some detailed playfield ones. enjoy

had my tafg for 20yrs, they can be very temperamental. normally just need to reseat plugs etc...ive had it all i think? lol you ever need some advice...drop me a pm. looks a clean machine, be great for some detailed playfield ones. enjoy
Thank you @sharps, I'm loving it.
I can see it being a bit temperamental, it's old school, I work in IT and I think it's like seeing like an old PC from the 90s. Ribbon cables, connections a bit loose, halogen bulbs.
The cab is in good condition, the wiring has been completely re-done, some bulbs are LEDs, the coils have been re-sleeved, new flippers, new rubber rings, the boards seem in good condition. I can see of error in the tests, switch 66 needs looking at, I had a quick look but I need to spend some time with the manuals and work out what that is.
I believe that relates to something on the top left ramp, but all works ok, including the thing diverter on the ramp, so looks like a minor problem.
The playfield needs urgent attention actually, I think it can be saved, but not sure what's the best way.
The base layer is good, but the stickers and protection layer is worn out in places. This reflected what I paid for the pin.
Here are some photos, maybe this is not the best place to post them, I'm not sure, but hey here they are.

Attachments

• IMG_1005.jpg
    IMG_1005.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1004.jpg
    IMG_1004.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1002.jpg
    IMG_1002.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1001.jpg
    IMG_1001.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0999.jpg
    IMG_0999.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0998.jpg
    IMG_0998.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 160
That TAF has had its fair share of visitors to its mansion so unless it’s your grail pin and a keeper (no such thing) then invest in a new PF otherwise enjoy it for what it is a well loved players condition pin.

That TAF has had its fair share of visitors to its mansion so unless it’s your grail pin and a keeper (no such thing) then invest in a new PF otherwise enjoy it for what it is a well loved players condition pin.
That's an understatement that is in terrible condition, I can not believe how much Adam's go for, £1,000 for a new playfield and the amount of hours to swap, in the real world it shouldn't be more than £1 to 2k, for that condition but in the land of Adams probably £5k which is absolutely ludicrous. Apologies for the rant but seeing that playfield condition Adam family has clearly become the new hot wheels/matchbox toy cars. I played it as a kid and now have to have one at any cost, now I'm middle aged and have cash 😀🤭🤣😏😃

Now if you paid £1k for it, that's amazing, 2k to £3k to get it good, worth it, but I suspect not 😏🤭

Thank you @sharps, I'm loving it.
I can see it being a bit temperamental, it's old school, I work in IT and I think it's like seeing like an old PC from the 90s. Ribbon cables, connections a bit loose, halogen bulbs.
The cab is in good condition, the wiring has been completely re-done, some bulbs are LEDs, the coils have been re-sleeved, new flippers, new rubber rings, the boards seem in good condition. I can see of error in the tests, switch 66 needs looking at, I had a quick look but I need to spend some time with the manuals and work out what that is.
I believe that relates to something on the top left ramp, but all works ok, including the thing diverter on the ramp, so looks like a minor problem.
The playfield needs urgent attention actually, I think it can be saved, but not sure what's the best way.
The base layer is good, but the stickers and protection layer is worn out in places. This reflected what I paid for the pin.
Here are some photos, maybe this is not the best place to post them, I'm not sure, but hey here they are.
I'm sorry that playfield shot, magnet burn, the cracking over the Adams orange logo, chipping, cracks it's a replacement job. I'm sure there some highly skilled people on here who could transform it but in my opinion it wouldn't be worth it as replacement playfileds are available.

Or just fix the switch and play it. 😏

I'm sorry that playfield shot, magnet burn, the cracking over the Adams orange logo, chipping, cracks it's a replacement job. I'm sure there some highly skilled people on here who could transform it but in my opinion it wouldn't be worth it as replacement playfileds are available.

Or just fix the switch and play it. 😏
Yes. That’s a ‘rip the playfield’ job - you can’t repair that 😕

Playfield replacement is a huge job and takes the pin out of action while it’s happening, so I’d only recommend doing that if you have a second pin to play on the meantime and are either more familiar with pinball repair (and are up for a big job) or are willing to wait for someone else to do it (there are long waiting lists for an experienced commercial pintech like @chris b, @new forest pinball or @MajesticPinball).

So, I’d just enjoy your Addam’s for now and not worry too much 😊

Last edited:
What's magnet burn? Mine has its original playfield, obviously with some wear... I'm just curious as to what specific damage the magnet causes.
Also while I'm here, what does everyone use to clean and polish the PF? I've used car wax, but I'm not sure I'm using the right stuff to clean it properly beforehand.

When playing multiball for long periods, Magnet pulsing builds up heat.

Or a magnet can lock on, causing heat and this burns the playfield.

But a magnet fuse kit to minimise risk
C6AAA7A7-1DE3-4DC0-A41D-0017C11561DF.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom